NBA execs rate Terry Rozier to Hornets as third-worst offseason move in ESPN survey

+3
Matty
dboss
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

NBA execs rate Terry Rozier to Hornets as third-worst offseason move in ESPN survey Empty NBA execs rate Terry Rozier to Hornets as third-worst offseason move in ESPN survey

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-execs-rate-terry-rozier-224056949.html

NBA execs rate Terry Rozier to Hornets as third-worst offseason move in ESPN survey

Nick Goss, NBC Sports Boston

14 hours ago

The Charlotte Hornets moved quickly to replace Kemba Walker by acquiring Terry Rozier in a sign-and-trade with the Boston Celtics, and several executives around the NBA didn't think it was a good move.

ESPN's Tim Bontemps published Wednesday the results of a survey that "asked 20 coaches, executives and scouts" about the craziness of the league's offseason so far.

One of the questions was "What was the worst move of the summer?" The top answers (tied with six votes apiece) for this question were the New York Knicks' dreadful summer, which was hardly a surprise when you consider who they signed, and Ricky Rubio signing with the Phoenix Suns. Rozier joining the Hornets came in at No. 3 with four votes.

The Hornets compounded their mistake of reportedly not offering Walker enough money to remain in Charlotte by overpaying to replace him with Rozier. The 25-year-old point guard primarily served in a backup role in four seasons with the Celtics, but that was enough for the Hornets to give him a three-year, $58 million contract.

One executive in Bontemps' survey gave a pretty strong take on Rozier's deal:

"I thought that was a huge overpay without enough short term to justify it," one Eastern Conference executive said. "I think that's going to be a disaster to be a bottom-end team and throw that money around. I don't see how that's going to work out."

The Hornets might have the worst roster in the NBA. They have zero young players with franchise cornerstone-type potential. They don't have any salary cap flexibility to take on bad contracts in exchange for quality assets or to be a major factor in free agency next summer. Unless the Hornets win the draft lottery next season, it's difficult to envision this roster making any sort of significant improvement in the short term.

The Hornets also have a horrible track record of first-round draft picks. Charlotte's last first-rounder who became an All-Star with the team was Walker, and he was drafted in 2011.

Rozier is a talented player with a bright future. He's a good defender and capable of getting hot from the field and scoring a lot of points against the right matchups. Paying him almost $20 million per season doesn't make much sense, however, but we can't say we're surprised with what unfolded given Michael Jordan's lackluster record as Hornets owner.

bob
MY NOTE: I don't think the trade saved us any cap space, since Rozier was already under contract and we had Bird Rights to him, but it did avert a crisis later in the season when Rozier would have wanted to be a starter (not happening!) or be traded or leave in free agency. Danny did well, especially considering there aren't many suckers like MJ in the league front offices.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA execs rate Terry Rozier to Hornets as third-worst offseason move in ESPN survey Empty Re: NBA execs rate Terry Rozier to Hornets as third-worst offseason move in ESPN survey

Post by dboss Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:45 am

I thought Terry would get at least $15 million but he really cashed in.  No he was not worth that much money.  He will need to really improve across the board.  Not sure he gets paid like that if not for the sign and trade transaction.

He can thank Danny Ainge.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

NBA execs rate Terry Rozier to Hornets as third-worst offseason move in ESPN survey Empty Re: NBA execs rate Terry Rozier to Hornets as third-worst offseason move in ESPN survey

Post by Matty Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:33 am

Last summer Marcus Smart signed a 4 year, 52 million dollar deal, then Rozier gets 3 years, 58 million.

I'm thinking Danny hornswoggled both Jordan and Smart.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:41 pm

third worst?

looks like the winner of worst off-season move to me,

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:46 pm

The Knicks thought that they were getting Durant and that crazy fella but they both ended up with the Nets.

The Knicks had high hopes, but it turned out that they were just high.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Another overpaid young player. I have never been a big Terry Rozier fan, that stretch in the playoffs that he played so well gave him his shot at big money. It will be interesting to see how he does. Look at Turner, he fit so well in Brad’s game plan, looked like the star he was supposed to be for one half of a season then signed for $70 million with Portland. When they discovered that they over paid a year later, they could not get rid of him.

The one thing I have to say to these guys,,,,bank your money, never know when it will disappear
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:30 pm

gyso wrote:The Knicks thought that they were getting Durant and that crazy fella but they both ended up with the Nets.

The Knicks had high hopes, but it turned out that they were just high.

Gyso,

They also thought they were going to get Zion. Can you imagine being a Knick fan and being sold by every NY sportswriter on landing those 3 and ending up with NONE of them?!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:36 pm

It is Spike’s fault, he jinxed them and scared everyone away
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:49 am

I guess Rozier could turn out to be a terrible signing and end up being completely overpaid in Charlotte, but I think that I will reserve judgement at least to mid way into next season.

He came to Boston as an incomplete player, but improved in each of his first seasons. We all thought that he was great in the latter part of the season and playoffs in 2018 and were ready to have him win the championship that spring if the team did not fall apart in the last 6 minutes of that last game against Cleveland.

Perhaps he recovers from last season's frustrations and plays well in Charlotte. We shall see, but I am not going to judge him yet.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down