Suns reportedly offered a protected first-round pick for Terry Rozier last offseason

3 posters

Go down

Suns reportedly offered a protected first-round pick for Terry Rozier last offseason Empty Suns reportedly offered a protected first-round pick for Terry Rozier last offseason

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:54 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/suns-reportedly-offered-protected-first-round-pick-terry-rozier-last-offseason?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Suns reportedly offered a protected first-round pick for Terry Rozier last offseason

By NBC Sports Boston Report
March 04, 2019 11:10 AM

The play of Terry Rozier has been a contributing factor to the disappointing season of the Celtics so far.

After stepping up in a big way during last year's playoffs, Rozier was seen as a future starting point guard in the league. There were rumors swirling throughout the offseason that Rozier may be on his way out with the return of Kyrie Irving imminent.

The Suns were seen as a top contender to try and steal Rozier away from Boston. Kevin O'Connor of the Ringer reports that the Suns offered to trade a protected first-round pick to the Celtics for the young guard.

Obviously, the deal did not go through; the Celtics reportedly demanded an unprotected first-rounder from Phoenix, which killed the trade talks.

Given Rozier's play this season, many would say that's an overpay for Rozier. But the hype that surrounded him following his performance on the big stage suggested that a protected first-rounder was a good price for a player who seemed to be, at the least, capable of playing at the level befitting of a starter.

An unprotected first-rounder for Rozier would have been a heist for Boston. As it stands, Rozier will be a restricted free-agent this offseason, and the Celtics might be hard-pressed to keep him around, even if Irving doesn't re-sign with the team. The Suns' desire for Rozier may have waned after his regression in 2019, but they still have a huge hole at the position. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they throw a lucrative contract at Rozier that the Celtics won't match.

The Celtics are focused on righting the ship in time for the playoffs, but there will be a lot to think about come free agency.

bob
MY NOTE:  Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.  Danny got greedy.  The article doesn't say what the protection was.  If it was top 7, I would have taken it for sure even with the high expectations I had for Rozier starting this year. He's not a top 7 player, even after last year's playoffs, especially when you take into account salary issues going forward.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Suns reportedly offered a protected first-round pick for Terry Rozier last offseason Empty Re: Suns reportedly offered a protected first-round pick for Terry Rozier last offseason

Post by worcester Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. Danny got greedy. The article doesn't say what the protection was. If it was top 7, I would have taken it for sure even with the high expectations I had for Rozier starting this year. He's not a top 7 player, even after last year's playoffs, especially when you take into account salary issues going forward.

True dat. If it were top 2 protected I would have totally jumped on it. I wonder what the protection was.

Terry does improve when he has more minutes to play. I still think we could get value for him, but not Zion Williamson.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Suns reportedly offered a protected first-round pick for Terry Rozier last offseason Empty Re: Suns reportedly offered a protected first-round pick for Terry Rozier last offseason

Post by NYCelt Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Rozier is valuable enough that I wouldn't let him go anywhere until Irving's status is determined.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down