How ESPN projects Boston Celtics' 2019-20 record, odds of making playoffs

+3
gyso
dboss
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

How ESPN projects Boston Celtics' 2019-20 record, odds of making playoffs Empty How ESPN projects Boston Celtics' 2019-20 record, odds of making playoffs

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:56 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/espn-projects-boston-celtics-2019-233419203.html

How ESPN projects Boston Celtics' 2019-20 record, odds of making playoffs

Justin Leger, NBC Sports Boston

14 hours ago

ESPN has rolled out their projected win/loss records and standings for the 2019-20 NBA season. If their model proves to be accurate, Celtics fans will be pleased.

The C's are listed as the second-best team in the Eastern Conference, according to ESPN's RPM (real plus-minus) projections. They're projected to finish with 47.2 wins while the Milwaukee Bucks come out on top with 50.7.

ESPN gives Boston a healthy 94-percent chance of making it into the playoffs.

Here's everything ESPN's Kevin Pelton had to say about the Celtics:

The Celtics are one of four teams projected by RPM to rank in the top 10 in both offensive and defensive rating, something they quietly pulled off last season despite underperforming expectations. With the departures of Aron Baynes and Al Horford, defense could be the greater challenge, but Boston has strong defenders on the perimeter, led by NBA All-Defensive first-team pick Marcus Smart.

Predicting the Celtics to finish two games off last year's regular-season pace is fair considering the departures of Kyrie Irving, Al Horford, and Aron Baynes. But the acquisitions of star guard Kemba Walker and big man Enes Kanter have sparked optimism in Boston heading into the new season, and ESPN's projections reflect that.

It'll likely be a dogfight between the Celtics, Bucks, and Philadelphia 76ers (46.8 projected wins, 95-percent playoff chance) in the Eastern Conference this year. It's a wide-open field now that Kawhi Leonard has taken his talents to the Los Angeles Clippers.

As for how ESPN projects the Western Conference panning out, the Houston Rockets (53.7 wins), Denver Nuggets (53.3) and Los Angeles Lakers (47.9) hold the top three spots.

bob
MY NOTE: They don't list GSW in the top 3 in the WC?! They were a pretty good team without Durant, better with him, but still champions and now they've added D'Angelo Russell. They also say we're going to have a better record than Philly. That would be just too rich. I think I'd herniate myself I'd be laughing so hard. I'm already giggling a bit because Kyrie and KD aren't even 3rd.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

How ESPN projects Boston Celtics' 2019-20 record, odds of making playoffs Empty Re: How ESPN projects Boston Celtics' 2019-20 record, odds of making playoffs

Post by dboss Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:26 am

Once again ESPN shows a complete disconnect with reality.

Please tell me how the Bucks are 10 games worse this year than last year where they led the lead in scoring at 118.1 PPG and posted a league leading +8.8 scoring differential?  They won 60 games and were amazingly consistent from the start of the regular season to the end. 

I got Boston winning 53-54 games which is a better record than last year.

If Boston's combination of bigs can defend the pick and roll and the rim, the defense should not experience much of a drop off.  The article at least acknowledges that Boston still has a collection of perimeter defenders (I mentioned this in another thread)

Boston has a different configuration of players.  The challenge for coach Stevens is to build a system around those players by using by adding an effective post option where you can take advantage of inside scoring from like Kanter, Poirier and Williams.  We still have a great collection of wings.

I am not surprised that GSW are not ranked higher.  Clay Thompson is out indefinitely and they no longer have KD.  Both LA teams look ready and teams like Portland, Denver and Houston may be just as good as GSW.  Now when you play GS you do not have to worry about shutting down 3 top of the line scorers.  Now you can double up on SC.

The Nets not being in the top 3 should not be a big surprise since KD is likely to sit out the entire season.  They will however be a much better defensive team because they added Jordan.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

How ESPN projects Boston Celtics' 2019-20 record, odds of making playoffs Empty Re: How ESPN projects Boston Celtics' 2019-20 record, odds of making playoffs

Post by gyso Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:27 pm

Is it just me or is anyone else tired of reading that,

"[player's name] has taken his talents to the [team's name]."

To me, that has become a gag-inducing comment.

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:39 am

well, its a new age and this past season had almost half of the NBA players as Free agents.

so this year had higher movement than normal for sure.
is what it is I guess.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 am

I don't mind that players change teams, that is a normal process.  I just am sick of that phrase when the media reports a player move.

What's wrong with a simple,

"[player's name] signed with [team's name]."

or in this specific case,

"It's a wide-open field in the East now that Kawhi Leonard has moved to the Western Conference."

taken his talents   Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:52 am

Bob I did agree with you on GS, they also lost Klay Thompson, D’Angelo gives them offense, but he can’t defend near Klay....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:01 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Bob I did agree with you on GS, they also lost Klay Thompson, D’Angelo gives them offense, but he can’t defend near Klay....

Cow,

True dat about Russell's defense vs Klay's. Klay is saying he'll be back "shortly after the All-Star break". We'll see.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Injuries to key players who will not  play until next year, like KT for example, will impact their team's  positioning come playoff time.  GSW are not going to be able to just blow teams off the court.  As they wait for the return of Thompson, their defense will need to be played at a very high level to be a top 4 WC team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:16 pm

gyso,

I'm with you. My gut doth wrench a bit when I here that phrase!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:37 pm

These numbers don't add up. At least 3 teams in the east will have over 50 wins

Kj
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down