cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Empty The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by 112288 Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Filling the Front Line, Part 1: Free Agency
By Zach Lowe, CelticsHub.com @ June 21st, 8:45 am Leave a reply »
Think about this: Right now, the Celtics are assured of starting their season with just two healthy front line players—Kevin Garnett and Glen Davis. Rasheed Wallace might retire, Perk will likely start the season injured, and Shelden Williams and Brian Scalabrine will either be playing elsewhere (Shelden) or be out of the NBA (perhaps Scal).

Suddenly, Boston needs bigs, and there are two ways they can get them:

• The draft. We’ll cover this later this week (and I’ll be at the draft to hopefully interview whoever the C’s pick), but for now, CelticsTown is going through a list of prospects that may be available when the C’s make the 19th pick.

• Free agency. If Paul Pierce remains with the team at his slated $21 million salary, Boston will be well over the salary cap, leaving them with only two ways to sign free agents:

1) The mid-level exception.

This gives teams over the cap the right to sign a free agent for a set salary equivalent to the league’s average salary—around $6 million in 2011. The exception can be split among multiple players, meaning the C’s could sign two players for about $3 million each under the mid-level;

2) The veteran’s minimum exception. A team over the cap can sign as many players as it wants to minimum deals. You can see the minimum salary levels here. The minimum salary for a 5th-year player will be about $993,000 next season; the minimum for a veteran of 10 or more years escalates to about about $1.35 million.

Here’s a list of big men free agents—with a short blurb about each—that will likely be available somewhere on the scale between the minimum and the full mid-level. (You can view the list of all free agents here). I’ll address each in more detail if reports emerge that Boston has interest in any particular player:

• Jermaine O’Neal: Had a rebound season in 2010 (his PER was a robust 17.9), and his shooting percentage jumped over 50 percent for the first time in his career. But as we saw when he pooped the bed against Boston in the playoffs, it’s unclear if he can score against elite defenses, and he’s become more a jump-shooting big as he has aged. His plus/minus numbers over the last three years show a player who is a neutral presence, at best.

• Shaquille O’Neal: At 38, Shaq’s statistical profile finally declined across the board. His shooting percentage (56 percent) was his lowest since his rookie season, he got to line less often per minute than ever before in his career, and plus/minus numbers—both raw and adjusted—portray him as an anchor. Cleveland’s offense especially seems to have suffered with Shaq on the court. Shaq was a helpful presence as recently as 2009, and a big guy who can hit 56 percent of his shots would seem to have value. But how much?

• Zydrunas Ilgauskas. At 34, all of Ilgauskas’ scoring and rebounding numbers are, not surprisingly, trending downward. After posting a PER of at least 18 every season since 2002, his PER dropped last season to a sad-looking 11.9. His raw plus/minus numbers were neutral, but adjusted plus/minus numbers have long been skeptical of how much of a role Z-man has played in Cleveland’s recent success. Still: The dude can hit an open jumper, and even the occasional corner three.

• Brad Miller. A former king of plus/minus whose numbers in that category—both in raw terms and the adjusted stats at Basketball Value—fell back to neutral last season. He has length and toughness Boston can use, but he’s 34, he shot a career-low 43 percent from the floor last season and his rebounding numbers were the worst of his pro career.

• Udonis Haslem. At 6′8” (according to Basketball-Reference), Haslem is as under-sized as Glen Davis, but you can count on him for 50 percent shooting on a ton of jumpers and solid defensive rebounding. The adjusted plus/minus system on Basketball Value absolutely hates him—he’s had one of the worst numbers in the league the last two seasons—and that’s probably because the system credits a lot of Haslem’s productivity to being on the court with Wade.

In any case, Haslem’s loyal to Wade and Miami, so he’s probably unavailable.

• Brendan Haywood. Probably too expensive for Boston, as some team will throw him more than the mid-level. And he deserves it. He’s a legit 7′0” center who knows his limitations (i.e. he doesn’t shoot jumpers) and improved his team’s defense in both Dallas and Washington, according to his plus/minus numbers on 82games (raw) and Basketball Value (adjusted).

• Ben Wallace. Don’t laugh. Yes, he’ll be 36 by the time the 2011 season starts, and, yes, the Celtics don’t want too many guys who can’t shoot jumpers. But there wasn’t a better offensive rebounder in the entire league last season, and we all know the Celtics could use someone with that skill set. He’s an elite defensive rebounder as well, and his plus/minus numbers over the last three seasons are so good you can’t dismiss them.

• Tyson Chandler. Chad Ford reported recently that Chandler might out opt out of the final year of his contract—which would pay him nearly $13 million—in order to become a free agent and sign a new deal under the current collective bargaining agreement. Perhaps Chandler thinks he’s worth more than the mid-level because of the residual power of Chris Paul alley-oop highlights. I’m not so sure.

His plus/minus numbers—solid in New Orleans—fell off a cliff without Paul to feed him. He’s an asset on defense, and it’s possible that another elite point guard could revive his ability to contribute in the screen/roll. Otherwise, Chandler is an offensive zero.

• Kurt Thomas. Teams will look at Thomas if he’s willing to sign for the veteran’s minimum or the biannual exception, which will be worth about $2 million next season. Of course, Boston doesn’t have the biannual exception, since the team used it to sign Marquis Daniels last season.

Thomas was a solid contributor in Seattle and Phoenix, but his numbers with Milwaukee indicate his game might be falling apart as he approaches age 38. He can still grab a defensive rebound, but the Bucks gave up about a half-dozen more points per 100 possessions with Thomas on the floor last season versus with him on the bench.

And while Andrew Bogut’s outstanding defense has a lot to do with that differential, it’s still troubling for a guy who held down the fort defensively well into his mid-30s.

One nice thing: Thomas shot 47 percent on jumpers last season, a solid mark for a big guy.

• Lou Amundson. One of the best offensive rebounders in the league two years running, and yet the Suns offense played much worse with Amundson on the floor versus with him on the bench. Playing a decent chunk of minutes alongside Goran Dragic instead of Steve Nash doesn’t help in that regard. Nor does Amundson’s lack of a reliable jumper, though he has progressed (slowly) in that part of his game.

The Suns defense has performed better with Amundson on the floor over the past two seasons. At 6′9”, though, he lacks the length Boston could use against bigger clubs.

Wild cards:

• Etan Thomas. Thomas’s insane contract, which paid him nearly $8 million last season, will finally expire, and it does so at a moment where Thomas’s value is a total mystery. He played a bit more than 600 minutes combined in the last three seasons (he missed all of 2008), and his plus/minus numbers for his last two healthy seasons have been among the very worst in the league.

He was decent in 2007, when he put up a league-average PER, but that was a long, long time ago. Does he even have a place in the league anymore?

• Rasho Nesterovic. The poor man’s Zydrunas Ilgauskas? He played only 413 minutes last season, and the Raptors gave up nearly 10 more points per 100 possessions with Nesterovic on the floor versus with him on the bench. Yikes.

He’s still a semi-reliable shooter, but at 34, it’s fair to ask whether he has any value in the league.

• Ian Mahinmi. Everyone is excited about Ian Mahinmi. He has played 188 minutes in the NBA. I have no clue how good he is. Nobody really does.

• Ike Diogu. Always scores, never plays.

That’s it for now. Are their any free agent big men you think I’m overlooking?

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 pm

In your other draft thread I mentioned Miller and Chandler as likely re-tread candidates. My personal hope is a decent 2nd team type center in the draft such as Gallon or Aldrich (or especially Whiteside as the speculated long-shot availability you presented in the other thread) who could team with Perk longer term along with whoever is still breathing from the list above. I would also be happy with an out-of-position Haslem as a temporary fix until Perk can return.

At the moment I can't think of any realistic candidates you haven't listed.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Love Kurt Thomas and think he would have been a great player off the bench on this years team. As for the rest, not all that impressed.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:17 pm

NY,

I think you bring someone in to groom as replacing Perkins in a few years. If the new guy is faster and can play up tempo basketball to keep up with Rondo that makes sense. If not, then you are wasting Rondo's talent so why not trade Rondo? Only kidding, put you get the point. The team has to be built around Rondo who will be here for the next 5 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:25 am

I like the idea of a center with good hands. Rondo will get frustrated with another project player with no skills a foot from the basket. Who is the best FA at that? Kurt Thomas? Chandler?
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:21 am

Is David Lee a free agent?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:43 am

No David Lee. He cannot play a lick of defense and he is too short to play power forward despite how the Knicks played him.

Pass.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:26 am

I'd love Shaq at the MLE,he could still clog lane and be good role player.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:45 am

No Shaq either too slow. Got to have speed with Rondo. Rasheed proved to be a liability to the team on offense. he was too slow down the court and was not in good position to gather offense rebounds. No thanks to the Shaq Man.

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Empty The Top 25 Free Agents of the 2010 NBA Offseason !

Post by Brandon$$ Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:42 pm

25. Travis Outlaw

I really like his all around abilities. I would like him to stay healthy and if so can easily score 15-plus points off anyone’s bench. Outlaw is a runner and leaper, so look for him to focus on teams that run and spread the floor.

24. Udonis Haslem

Hard worker with limited all-around skills, but he gets the most out of his body than most players. Would be a good physical presence off the bench for a number of teams. I expect loyalty will keep him in Miami unless they secure one of the Top 6 players, thus having to renounce signing him.

23. Channing Frye

Had a tremendous season and proved to us again that Steve Nash can turn anyone’s career around within months. Frye is a center who shoots three-pointers and that trait will get him a nice contract. The Suns are determined to keep him and I believe Frye is determined to stay in his hometown. He remembers the struggles in New York and Portland.

22. JJ Redic
k

He has won me over with hard work and mental toughness. This kid is not scared to fail and that’s a great commodity for any team to have. I don’t think he can leave Orlando and start, but I do believe on the right team he could become a top sixth man in this league. He is one of the best spot-up shooters in the league and I expect him to get a lot of attention if Orlando is willing to let him go.

21. Al Harrington

There are a lot of free agents this year that can become great bargains and here is one of them. Harrington is a scoring machine and teams like San Antonio, Utah, Phoenix, New Jersey, and Atlanta could use his services off the bench.

20. Richard Jefferson

Jefferson found out what it feels like to be a five-second guy. That means a player that consistently had to take shots with the shot clock winding down. I thought attitude-wise he handled it well, but will he decide to opt out and leave a boatload of money on the table? I say not!

19. Raymond Felton

Felton had a good year under Larry Brown and I look for him to return. The Bobcats keep trying to replace him, but he stays in the lineup. He should do whatever it takes to stay in Charlotte.

18. Ronnie Brewer

Excellent defender with so-so offensive skills. Brewer flourished in the Utah Jazz system, but will struggle on teams where he has to stand and take perimeter shots. He would be a huge pick-up for a team right on the edge of winning a championship. Boston, Lakers, Spurs and Nuggets could use his skills.

17. Josh Childress

He is listed this high because, like always, teams fall in love with players that have not been seen in a while. Plus Childress has some leverage. I hear that he is ready to come back to the NBA, but the price probably still will not be to his liking.

16. Tyrus Thomas

I just don’t know about Thomas. He does want to stay in Charlotte and that is a good thing, but does Charlotte want to pay him great money and not know what to expect from an extremely athletic player with below par offensive skills. Thomas would be a good fit on Phoenix, New Orleans, Boston and Utah because they have guards who can get him the ball in areas where he can do some damage. Unfortunately those teams probably can’t afford his asking price.

15. Brendan Haywood

No one is talking about Haywood, but I love his length and defensive abilities. If he is not trying to break the bank, he could end up on a team extremely close to making a serious run at a championship. Oops, hold up. He already is a member of one! The chase for LeBron or Bosh will probably cost them Haywood in a sign-and-trade.

14. Ray Allen

Despite Allen’s struggles in the Finals, I think he has a number of years left. I just don’t think it will be in Boston. I am positive Boston will try and get younger and that’s a good idea because they looked old and beat up too many times this year. Allen needs to find a team that spreads the floor and runs consistently. He is getting banged around too much and that takes a toll on his legs. Allen would be a tremendous addition to Phoenix, OKC and Utah.

13. John Salmons

I have him at 13, but I am not sure he belongs here. Salmons disappoints you when you think about how good he can be, but never shows the consistency expected for the dollars he will demand.

12. Luis Scola

He is one of my favorite players in the league and will be highly sought after right away on July 1. He has a toughness about him that would fit on any team and he will not cost a ton of money.

11. Paul Pierce

He could opt out, but I don’t see the Celtics allowing Pierce to even think about leaving. He has been in Boston his whole career and although a few teams will call to take a look and see, they know Pierce is a Boston lifer and rightly so.

10. David Lee

The perfect example of just fighting to be productive. Yes, he plays in a shoot ‘em up offense that produces a ton of rebounds, but he still is the one getting them and last I counted there are nine other players on the floor as well. What a great pick-up he will be for anyone. If Dallas can’t woo Lebron or Bosh, then Lee could be the answer.

9. Rudy Gay

Although restricted, I would not be surprised to see a team do Memphis dirty work if they lose out on one of the Top 6. He is a special scorer and surrounded by talented veterans, Gay could be an All-Star quickly. I can’t imagine Memphis allowing him to escape and so they are not going to be in a hurry until one of the teams with a boatload of money can’t land a Top 6 free agent. Even then, he will probably remain a Grizzly.

8. Carlos Boozer

I truly love Boozer’s work ethic and approach to the game and I am sure Jerry Sloan despite having a fall back in Mehmet Okur and Paul Millsap is not looking to a season without the consistent Boozer. Boozer can end up in Miami, Jersey, Chicago or go to a contender in Dallas. Wherever he goes, that team will sign a gem. I am almost certain it will not be back in Utah.

7. Joe Johnson

Atlanta was my second favorite team and for obvious reasons. One of my best friends in the world is ex Hawks coach Mike Woodson and one of my favorite players is Joe Johnson. I hated when Joe left Phoenix and now Atlanta will suffer the same consequences a few years later. Johnson is gone and it’s just a matter of where he will settle down. I believe Chicago is his preference. The hard part I am having concerning Johnson is why he is in such a hurry to leave a 53-win team with very good talent. The Hawks will become a lottery team if Johnson walks and that will be devastating.

6. Amare Stoudemire

I remember when Shawn Marion was in a hurry to leave Steve Nash. I often wonder… Would he have pushed for that decision knowing what he knows now. I highly doubt it and now I wonder… Will Amare be making the same mistake. Amare is a wondrous talent and most importantly a devastating finisher around the basket. That skill needs a feeder and Amare really needs to weigh that scenario when wanting to play with a great player that shoots first and passes second. The Suns still have a great opportunity to re-sign him because he loves Phoenix. But most importantly, he really bonded with his teammates. Obviously Miami is in the mix along with New Jersey, but our hope is Amare stays in Phoenix.

5. Dirk Nowitzki

I am wasting my time even mentioning Dirk because he is not going anywhere. He is opting out in hopes that he can persuade LeBron James into joining him in Dallas. Don’t be surprised if it happens. James is very close to Jason Kidd. A super smart point guard to go with a plethora of shooters and defenders could sway King James.

4. Chris Bosh

I like Bosh as a package deal with another free agent, but I don’t think he is a player you focus in on as a premier addition by himself if you are New York. New Jersey would be perfect because of the tremendous skills of Brook Lopez, but it’s obvious Bosh would love somehow to end up in a Lakers uniform and that would take a Lamar Odom or Andrew Bynum combo going to Toronto. I just don’t see that happening. If James goes elsewhere, look for Bosh to sign with New Jersey.

3. Yao Ming

It is not known if he will opt out. But if healthy - and that’s a big if - Yao would be a huge pickup for New York or Chicago. Both teams could go after a Joe Johnson as well and that would be a great combo that develops out of nowhere. That’s all pure hope because I think Yao stays in Houston when it’s all said and done if he does opt out.

2. Dwyane Wade

I know Wade has a fondness for Chicago, but he realizes intense pressure to live up to that statue out front of the United Center could be an unfair challenge. Wade has a championship in Miami and he obviously knows his legacy has already been established there. So why risk it? I don’t believe he will. Miami is home and the only teams I can see him leaving for will be the New York Knicks or Los Angeles Clippers. Why? Because Wade loves the Hollywood atmosphere and those two cities will provide it.

1. LeBron James

The (all-around) most talented player in basketball finally gets his chance to be recruited, which is something he missed out on by not going to college. I know plenty of teams are lining up, but the obvious choices like New York, New Jersey, Chicago or Cleveland could be upset if James decides to sign with Dallas, Portland or the Los Angeles Clippers. I would really like for James to finish out what he started in Cleveland, but they lack the shooters to keep the pressure off James come playoff time against the likes of Orlando and Boston and that could become the deciding factor.

Honorable Mention:

Nate Robinson, Josh Howard, Linas Kleiza and Kyle Korver
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:43 pm

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/2010/06/26/the-top-25-free-agents/
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Empty Celtics also targeting Free Agent Mike Miller!

Post by Brandon$$ Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100628important_week_tips_off_for_celtics/

The Celtics will be equipped on Thursday with their mid-level exception and all of the veteran minimum deals they can throw at people. Expect Mike Miller - the talented wing for the Washington Wizards who once played for Rivers - to be a target.

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Wizards_Miller_plays_8e7c.JPG?WLSource=yardbarker
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Empty Celtics have interest in FA Center Erick Dampier

Post by Brandon$$ Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/boston_celtics

Besides Brad Miller, Boston has interest in acquiring Dallas center Erick Damper, especially with Kendrick Perkins sidelined six to seven months. Dampier’s $13 million salary for next season is not guaranteed, meaning the Mavericks can waive him without cost and allow him to become a free agent.

Chris Forsberg: According to the sources, the Celtics expect the Pierce deal to be wrapped up sooner than later but Ray Allen could take longer into summer.

Chris Forsberg: Multiple sources close to the Celtics told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that the team expects to re-sign Paul Pierce...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I like Erick Dampier. I think he would be a good fit and provides solid rebounding & defense. Something that this team definitely needs with Kendrick Perkins out till mid season. He's 35 years old, but with news of Doc returning and going for this one last run, I have no problem with signing aging vets as long as its not a long term thing because we need to get younger and put sum more athletic players beside Rajon Rondo.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Empty Uhhh Shaquille O'Neal a Boston Celtic???

Post by Brandon$$ Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 pm

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/boston_celtics
The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Shaquille-o-neal

Chris Mannix: Six scouts were asked if they thought Shaq-to-Boston was a good idea. Six scouts told me I was crazy.

Chris Mannix: Several scouts commented that Shaq's pick and roll defense would be maddening for Boston defenders and coaches alike. OK, that I knew.

Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Empty FA Big Men that could potentially help out the Celtics if signed

Post by Brandon$$ Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:50 pm

http://celticshub.com/2010/06/21/filling-the-front-line-part-1-free-agency/

Jermaine O’Neal: Had a rebound season in 2010 (his PER was a robust 17.9), and his shooting percentage jumped over 50 percent for the first time in his career. But as we saw when he pooped the bed against Boston in the playoffs, it’s unclear if he can score against elite defenses, and he’s become more a jump-shooting big as he has aged. His plus/minus numbers over the last three years show a player who is a neutral presence, at best.

• Shaquille O’Neal: At 38, Shaq’s statistical profile finally declined across the board. His shooting percentage (56 percent) was his lowest since his rookie season, he got to line less often per minute than ever before in his career, and plus/minus numbers—both raw and adjusted—portray him as an anchor. Cleveland’s offense especially seems to have suffered with Shaq on the court. Shaq was a helpful presence as recently as 2009, and a big guy who can hit 56 percent of his shots would seem to have value. But how much?

• Zydrunas Ilgauskas. At 34, all of Ilgauskas’ scoring and rebounding numbers are, not surprisingly, trending downward. After posting a PER of at least 18 every season since 2002, his PER dropped last season to a sad-looking 11.9. His raw plus/minus numbers were neutral, but adjusted plus/minus numbers have long been skeptical of how much of a role Z-man has played in Cleveland’s recent success. Still: The dude can hit an open jumper, and even the occasional corner three.

• Brad Miller. A former king of plus/minus whose numbers in that category—both in raw terms and the adjusted stats at Basketball Value—fell back to neutral last season. He has length and toughness Boston can use, but he’s 34, he shot a career-low 43 percent from the floor last season and his rebounding numbers were the worst of his pro career.

• Udonis Haslem. At 6′8” (according to Basketball-Reference), Haslem is as under-sized as Glen Davis, but you can count on him for 50 percent shooting on a ton of jumpers and solid defensive rebounding. The adjusted plus/minus system on Basketball Value absolutely hates him—he’s had one of the worst numbers in the league the last two seasons—and that’s probably because the system credits a lot of Haslem’s productivity to being on the court with Wade.

In any case, Haslem’s loyal to Wade and Miami, so he’s probably unavailable.

• Brendan Haywood. Probably too expensive for Boston, as some team will throw him more than the mid-level. And he deserves it. He’s a legit 7′0” center who knows his limitations (i.e. he doesn’t shoot jumpers) and improved his team’s defense in both Dallas and Washington, according to his plus/minus numbers on 82games (raw) and Basketball Value (adjusted).

• Ben Wallace. Don’t laugh. Yes, he’ll be 36 by the time the 2011 season starts, and, yes, the Celtics don’t want too many guys who can’t shoot jumpers. But there wasn’t a better offensive rebounder in the entire league last season, and we all know the Celtics could use someone with that skill set. He’s an elite defensive rebounder as well, and his plus/minus numbers over the last three seasons are so good you can’t dismiss them.

• Tyson Chandler. Chad Ford reported recently that Chandler might out opt out of the final year of his contract—which would pay him nearly $13 million—in order to become a free agent and sign a new deal under the current collective bargaining agreement. Perhaps Chandler thinks he’s worth more than the mid-level because of the residual power of Chris Paul alley-oop highlights. I’m not so sure.

His plus/minus numbers—solid in New Orleans—fell off a cliff without Paul to feed him. He’s an asset on defense, and it’s possible that another elite point guard could revive his ability to contribute in the screen/roll. Otherwise, Chandler is an offensive zero.

• Kurt Thomas. Teams will look at Thomas if he’s willing to sign for the veteran’s minimum or the biannual exception, which will be worth about $2 million next season. Of course, Boston doesn’t have the biannual exception, since the team used it to sign Marquis Daniels last season.

Thomas was a solid contributor in Seattle and Phoenix, but his numbers with Milwaukee indicate his game might be falling apart as he approaches age 38. He can still grab a defensive rebound, but the Bucks gave up about a half-dozen more points per 100 possessions with Thomas on the floor last season versus with him on the bench.

And while Andrew Bogut’s outstanding defense has a lot to do with that differential, it’s still troubling for a guy who held down the fort defensively well into his mid-30s.

One nice thing: Thomas shot 47 percent on jumpers last season, a solid mark for a big guy.

• Lou Amundson. One of the best offensive rebounders in the league two years running, and yet the Suns offense played much worse with Amundson on the floor versus with him on the bench. Playing a decent chunk of minutes alongside Goran Dragic instead of Steve Nash doesn’t help in that regard. Nor does Amundson’s lack of a reliable jumper, though he has progressed (slowly) in that part of his game.

The Suns defense has performed better with Amundson on the floor over the past two seasons. At 6′9”, though, he lacks the length Boston could use against bigger clubs.

Wild cards:

• Etan Thomas. Thomas’s insane contract, which paid him nearly $8 million last season, will finally expire, and it does so at a moment where Thomas’s value is a total mystery. He played a bit more than 600 minutes combined in the last three seasons (he missed all of 2008), and his plus/minus numbers for his last two healthy seasons have been among the very worst in the league.

He was decent in 2007, when he put up a league-average PER, but that was a long, long time ago. Does he even have a place in the league anymore?

• Rasho Nesterovic. The poor man’s Zydrunas Ilgauskas? He played only 413 minutes last season, and the Raptors gave up nearly 10 more points per 100 possessions with Nesterovic on the floor versus with him on the bench. Yikes.

He’s still a semi-reliable shooter, but at 34, it’s fair to ask whether he has any value in the league.

• Ian Mahinmi. Everyone is excited about Ian Mahinmi. He has played 188 minutes in the NBA. I have no clue how good he is. Nobody really does.

• Ike Diogu. Always scores, never plays.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:24 pm

worst mistake they could make. He would be in Rondo's way all the time. I am totally against this move. I can't believe Danny would go for this.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:17 pm

hoopshype is about as reliable as a two dollar timex.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:03 am

Brad Miller is the safest choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:04 am

Rather than watching multiple separate threads about free agents, we thought it might be wise to have one official thread.

If another thread gets started about free agents, we will merge it into this one.

We hope this is agreeable to all members.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 am

great!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 am

What kind of hands does B. Miller have? I just want to be ready for the first time Rondo slips a hard pass inside, his starting center grabs and dunks it in one motion, and Rondo dissolves into tears of joy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:55 am

Here is a link to a list of free agents, ranked by position:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-nbafreeagentwatchpos

NBA free-agent tracker 2010:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiZHADYrFR7KnaCdzGmLDbJSPKB4?slug=ys-nbafreeagenttracker2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

G-State restricted free agent Anthony Morrow has slew of interest, including Spurs, Celtics, Lakers, Blazers, Clips and Jazz, sources say.

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread Act_anthony_morrow
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 pm

The Cavs are also believed to pursue in various shooting guards. Sources indicated the team planned to make contact with Ray Allen, Mike Miller and John Salmons. Allen, like Stoudemire and Bosh, would become more likely if James re-signs. Miller has been a target of the team for the last several years and has a strong relationship with James. He's expected to draw a lot of interest from other teams as well. Salmons opted out of his contract with the Milwaukee Bucks but several reports have indicated he may re-sign with that team.

Ray Allen on the Cavaliers?! If Lebron re-signed there, I would be devastated to see Allen leave for another top Eastern Conference team!
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Bulls free-agent center Brad Miller is expected to meet with Boston, Houston, Cleveland and Chicago over the next couple of days, a league source said.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next