bobheckler
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gordon Hayward Injury Update - Page 2 Empty Re: Gordon Hayward Injury Update

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Brian Robb
@BrianTRobb
Gordon Hayward getting shots up while doing all his catching with the right hand
https://twitter.com/i/status/1198697923221098496

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am

As of 11/29/19:

A. Sherrod Blakely @ASherrodblakely
about 18 minutes ago
Still no definitive timetable on when #Celtics Gordon Hayward (hand) will return, but he says he feels as though he's ahead of schedule.

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:09 pm

This year's team is doing very well filling in for the injured Gordan Hayward. The team is not as good as with Hayward, but they have far from folded since his injury.

I believe that the Cs would have won three additional games if Hayward was able to play at the level he was playing before injury, but there is absolutely no reason to hurry Hayward's return date.

It will be better to have him healthy for the rest of the season than have to have him sit out more time for this hand injury.

He could be back right after Christmas or by the first of the year and be ready for the last 50-55 games of the season.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:48 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-113019-hayward-is-progressing-toward-early-return-to-lineup?sf224963255=1

Hayward is Progressing Toward Early Return To Lineup

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com
November 30, 2019

NEW YORK – It’s time to ramp up the Gordon Hayward talk. It sounds like the forward will be back in action sooner rather than later.

Hayward suffered a fractured left hand Nov. 9 and underwent surgery two days later to repair the bone. He accompanied the Celtics to New York for their current two-game road trip in the Big Apple and is lightly participating in practices, including Saturday’s session at Basketball City in Manhattan.

“It’s good to see him moving around,” said head coach Brad Stevens. “They just did a bunch of up-and-down where basically (they ran) 5-on-0 stuff, so that’s good.”

Stevens said that Hayward is currently cleared to run up and down the court and to participate in non-contact drills.

Hayward himself spoke about his progress Friday morning, before the Celtics took on the Nets. He went as far as to say, “I feel like I’m ahead of schedule,” according to MassLive.com. The initial timeline for Hayward’s return from surgery was approximately six weeks.

Hayward said that he continues to work toward an early return but is unable to put a timetable on exactly when he’ll be able to play in games.

“I mean, it’s hard to say with these things exactly what the timeline is,” Hayward told reporters. “But like I said, I feel good, and most importantly I’ve been able to continue with my leg work and stuff like that, so that’s really important.”

The forward, who averaged 18.9 points, 7.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists through Boston’s first eight games of the season, joined the team for this road trip in part because of his advancement in the rehab process. However, Stevens clarified another reason as to why Hayward was brought on this trip but not on Boston’s five-game, 10-day trip that came to an end Nov. 23.

“All of our trainers are here and everything else,” Stevens commented. “When we were out West, he had a couple of appointments he had to go to and everything else. It didn’t make sense to bounce all over the place.”

Stevens said that Hayward will be with the Celtics on every trip moving forward until he can officially return to the lineup.

Hayward is scheduled to have another meeting with his doctor Monday over FaceTime, according to Stevens. That purpose of that meeting will be “to look at the healing process and assess what’s next,” the coach said.

For now, Hayward will continue to work out within his current restrictions, and hope that they will soon be lifted to allow him to return to game action.

bob
MY NOTE: I know Brad and Danny always thought of Gordon as a "point forward" but I'd be lying if I said that I knew he'd be so indispensable for running a coherent offense. I think it is crystal clear we were running much more smoothly when Gordon was on the court. Sure, he's averaging 18.9 ppg on 55.5% fg shooting (43.3% from 3) and that will make any team look good but almost all his numbers are way up. He's averaging 4.8 assists/36mpg, just below his 5.1 assists/36mpg in '13-'14, but his assist-to-turnover ratio is UP (5.1/2.7= 1.89:1; 4.8/2.2= 2.18:1). Anything over 2:1 for a non-point guard is VERY good. His usage rate (an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor), is his 3rd LOWEST of his career. Only his rookie and sophomore seasons had lower usage rates. That is astonishing. He's scoring at an almost All-Star level, which means the play obviously involved him, he's also assisting at a near high for him (once again, the play involved him) and yet there are so many plays that don't.

What I glean from all that statistical gibberish is that Gordon's efficiency is so high that just his being on the floor provides benefits. Doesn't get as many touches but is producing as much good for the team as he has in his career, and that includes his All-Star year. He had a bit more scoring that year but his other stats were lower.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Chris Forsberg @ChrisForsberg_
about 2 hours ago
Gordon Hayward did some contact drills with Celtics coaches today and says it went well. Jokes that their contact isn’t as aggressive as actual players.

reply retweet like

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 2 hours ago
Hayward on hand: “It’s sore. It’s something I have to work through.” Says he needs to build strength in it.

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:48 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gordon-hayward-injury-celtics-star-172225400.html

Gordon Hayward injury: Celtics star set to return to practice Saturday

Darren Hartwell, NBC Sports Boston

5 hours ago

It sounds like Gordon Hayward is still ahead of schedule in his rehab from a hand injury.

The Boston Celtics forward has been out since Nov. 9 with a fractured left hand and originally was pegged to return sometime around Christmas Day.

But president of basketball operations Danny Ainge revealed Thursday that Hayward should be back at Celtics practice in a few days.

"Gordon is progressing on the court," Ainge said on 98.5 The Sports Hub's "Toucher & Rich." "He'll probably practice with us this weekend, on Saturday."

While that doesn't mean Hayward's return is imminent -- the Celtics still don't have a target date, per Ainge -- the 29-year-old returning to basketball activities less than a month after his injury is an encouraging sign.

"I don't want to get ahead of myself and get too excited about it, but I think he's progressing really well," Ainge added.

Hayward was doing conditioning, non-contact and even shooting drills as of last weekend and had a meeting with doctors via FaceTime this past Monday.

It sounds like that meeting went well, and if Hayward's first practice goes well this weekend, it's possible he could be back in the lineup by or before Christmas Day.

bob
MY NOTE:  "Returning to practice" may or may not mean "full contact".  If he's cleared for contact he's WAY ahead of schedule, and that is exceptionally good news.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Chris Forsberg

Verified account

@ChrisForsberg_
Follow Follow @ChrisForsberg_
More
Brad Stevens on Gordon Hayward returning sooner than the original timeline: “If I were making it percentages, it would be somewhere in the high-70s, low-80s.”

Watched Gordon make a layup and Brad upgraded it to 82% likely.

Hayward expected to practice with team Sunday.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:10 pm

UPDATED: 12/8/19

Chris Forsberg @ChrisForsberg_
about 1 hour ago
Gordon Hayward on his broken hand… "Bone has healed, probably stronger than my right hand. There’s a plate in there with screws. The bone is good. … Tomorrow’s a possibility. See how I feel when I wake up, go through shootaround, see how it goes."

reply retweet like

bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:12 pm

UPDATE: 12/8

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago
Hayward: “The bone is healed. I can’t hurt it more.”

reply retweet like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:47 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-120819-hayward-expects-return-much-earlier-anticipated?sf225581158=1

Hayward Expects to Return Much Earlier than Originally Anticipated

By Taylor Snow | @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com
December 8, 2019

BOSTON – Gordon Hayward’s initial return date from the broken left hand he suffered Nov. 9 against San Antonio was expected to be in late December at the earliest. Such is no longer the case.

Hayward revealed following this afternoon’s practice that he expects to return much earlier than previously expected.

“The last couple of days have been really good,” he said in regard to his rehabilitation progress, before making a shocking declaration: “Tomorrow’s a possibility.”

As in Hayward may actually be suiting up to play Monday night – two weeks earlier than anticipated – when the Celtics host the Cleveland Cavaliers at TD Garden.

Over the last several days, Hayward has noticed a steady improvement in the strength of his left hand, which sustained a broken fourth metacarpal while colliding with Spurs forward LaMarcus Aldrige. The veteran wing said that the bone has completely healed and is probably, in fact, stronger than that of his non-injured shooting hand because of the metal plate and screws that were inserted for support.

“I can’t do anything that’s going to hurt it,” he insisted. “I’m going to have to get hit equally as hard, probably harder than last time because I have the metal in my hand now.

He continued, saying that it’s still going to take a little bit of time before he gets full motion and strength back in his hand. “It’s just whether or not you can play through that and still be effective. That’s kind of what we’re determining. But the bone is healed.”

Hayward began shooting less than two weeks after his surgery, which was performed Nov. 11, and only recently began working through contact drills. He says he’s been a bit apprehensive during those drills, but it’s only a matter of time before he gets over the mental hurdle.

“It’s definitely something I’m still guarding, and it’s going to be like that for a little while,” Hayward noted. “That’s only natural. But part of that is getting out there and playing and getting over it mentally. I have gotten a hit – it reacted normally to that.”

The final checkmark in the whole process is returning to game shape. Since it was an upper-body injury, Hayward was able to maintain his conditioning, but of course, nothing he does in the gym can truly mimic the grinding nature of a 48-minute matchup.

“Doesn’t matter how much conditioning we do off the court, there’s nothing like playing a game,” he explained. “The first stretch of whatever game I play in, for sure I’ll be winded, but after a couple of games, I’ll be back to normal.”

Hayward hopes his first game back will be Monday night against the Cavs, which would certainly be a surprising and early holiday gift for the Celtics.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:26 pm

The Celtics have held down the fort waiting for GH's return.  Keep in mind that HE has been the most consistent player on the Celtics before the injury.

His return elevates a team that has opened a lot of eyes.  In terms of high end talent, GH puts them at the top of the East.

We need him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:54 pm

That's a good game to come back into. Make a few lay ups, take a few jumpers. Throw in a 3-ball or two. 20-25 minutes.

Alright, let's finally gear up for a long run of fully operational! Great news! Thanks bobh for keeping up with all this!

db

P.S. Only question is does he start or come off the bench?!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:34 pm

dbrown4 wrote:That's a good game to come back into.  Make a few lay ups, take a few jumpers.  Throw in a 3-ball or two.  20-25 minutes.  

Alright, let's finally gear up for a long run of fully operational!  Great news!  Thanks bobh for keeping up with all this!

db

P.S.  Only question is does he start or come off the bench?!

There is no question in my mind.  GH is a starter.  He started at the beginning of the season and a injury does not qualify as a reason not to start.  He had a hand injury.  He was killing it.  Him JB, and JT make our starting wing lineup the best in the NBA.  If you look at his production he was the best offensive player on the team including his efficiency shooting the ball and his assist per game.

He will be back in the lineup day one.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Soon.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:51 am

dboss wrote:The Celtics have held down the fort waiting for GH's return.  Keep in mind that HE has been the most consistent player on the Celtics before the injury.

His return elevates a team that has opened a lot of eyes.  In terms of high end talent, GH puts them at the top of the East.

We need him.

Good to see your turnaround on GH. Last year, we had many disagreements on his value to the team and his overall talent level.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Hayward "fully participated" in today's practice. He's meeting with the team's trainers right now, post-practice.

Unless he is feeling something he didn't feel when the adrenaline was going my money says he'll be activated for tonight's game vs Cleveland.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:34 pm

What a trooper!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
dboss wrote:The Celtics have held down the fort waiting for GH's return.  Keep in mind that HE has been the most consistent player on the Celtics before the injury.

We need him.

Good to see your turnaround on GH. Last year, we had many disagreements on his value to the team and his overall talent level.

Seeing is believing. I have been of the same mindset as Rosalie for quite some time now. I remember a game last year when he balled out. The happy expression on his face because he played well pretty much cemented my take on his value on the court but also on the human level. I felt bad for him and Jaylen not getting enough opportunities last year but now they can play together and prove the doubters wrong.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:14 pm

dboss wrote: now they can play together and prove the doubters wrong.

Cool Yup.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:13 pm

Great seeing him tonite playing so well, he never missed a beat!! No question he makes things so much easier for Kemba and 2 J’s, I know it was the Cavs, but so sweet to see all that ball movement and so many open looks....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:50 pm

AS OF 12/24/19

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 33 minutes ago
Gordon Hayward said he’s been dealing with a lot of nerve pain. He’s feeling “a lot better now” and will see how he feels tomorrow.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 33 minutes ago
Gordon Hayward has had three cortisone shots in his foot. He thinks the most recent one might have hit the right spot.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 29 minutes ago
Gordon Hayward said he thinks the nerve pain has “everything do with” his prior injury. “I don’t think it’s a coincidence.”

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 20 minutes ago
Hayward on frustration with foot injury: "I wasn't playing and you would think I could figure it out while my hand was broke. The fact that it was getting worse was frustrating to everybody. We were calling all the way around the country to figure it out. Hopefully, we did."

Jay King @ByJayKing
4 minutes ago
Gordon Hayward: "That’s kind of been the frustrating piece is that we haven’t figured out exactly what the issue is. Structurally my foot is fine. We did all the imaging we needed to do and did it a second time as well. So I hope this cortisone injection works."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:58 pm

He needs acuouncture with estim. There are many excellent practitioners in Boston.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:42 pm

worcester wrote:He needs acupuncture with estim. There are many excellent practitioners in Boston.

WORK IT, DOC, WORK IT!!!!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:50 pm

I knew Ellis Burk's acupuncturist but he moved to FL.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2