1981 playoffs

4 posters

Go down

1981 playoffs Empty 1981 playoffs

Post by jrleftfoot Fri May 15, 2020 4:03 pm

I watched the 6th and final game against Houston on the NBA channel yesterday. Was reminded that M.L Carr, Chris Ford and yes, Rick Robey were useful players. Russ was doing the color, and he was much less biased than Tommy. Bird hit big shots down the stretch. My biggest takeaway though, was remembering an argument ,between Swish and somebody , about whether Cousy or Archibald was the Celtics all-time great point guard. Of course Dennis Johnson and Jojo White have their proponents, too. Without reigniting that argument, which became pretty heated, Tiny showed all his skills in game 6. He didn't score a lot because he didn't have to, but he had 9 dimes at halftime. Rondo without the flash, but don't think I am knocking Rajon. Tiny was a combination of Iverson and Rondo, and he made everything look so easy---so fluid. He was past his prime and fighting injuries by 81, but the Bird era could not have launched the way it did without him.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

1981 playoffs Empty Re: 1981 playoffs

Post by NYCelt Fri May 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Tiny was among the finest PGs ever in my opinion. No Tiny, no '81 title. Jojo was one of my faves during his Boston days and after retirement. I think I've mentioned before that he married a girl here in the Western NY state area and lived here for a long time. You could always find him if he was out at certain popular night spots; he had this big, white Caddy and custom plates that read JOJO. No mistaking who that was.

Gerald Henderson was also a solid backcourt relief pitcher for that '81 team. Under-rated and sometimes forgotten outside of Boston, he was a key contributor.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri May 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Gerald Henderson! He of the then second (now third) greatest steal in Celtic playoff history.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am

I watched the Philadelphia vs. Boston Game 7 1981. OMG! What a crazy game. Celtics coming back from down 3-1 in the series. Regular season split 3-3. Playoffs went 3-3 with Game 7 win by 1 point! Gut wrenching game as we were down 95% of the time. But were ahead when it counted!! Must see TV.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down