Sources -- NBA to approve plan for 22-team return with eight regular-season games

+5
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
sinus007
dboss
9 posters

Go down

Sources -- NBA to approve plan for 22-team return with eight regular-season games Empty Sources -- NBA to approve plan for 22-team return with eight regular-season games

Post by dboss Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:10 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29260860/sources-nba-approve-plan-22-team-return-eight-regular-season-games

Thoughts?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Sources -- NBA to approve plan for 22-team return with eight regular-season games Empty Re: Sources -- NBA to approve plan for 22-team return with eight regular-season games

Post by dboss Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:15 pm

The draft and FA in October?  NBA finals in October?

What are the plans for the start of the 2020-21 season?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Sources -- NBA to approve plan for 22-team return with eight regular-season games Empty Re: Sources -- NBA to approve plan for 22-team return with eight regular-season games

Post by dboss Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:42 pm

I am going to assume that we will have answers to our questions.

How will they determine matchups for the 8 regular season games?

The 6 mulligan teams are all at least 8 games below .500 and Washington sits 16 games back at 24-40.  Why should they be given a 2nd chance?  They have all had at least 63 games to earn the right to make the playoffs.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:56 pm

Dboss,
AWoj mentioned end of December.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm sticking with my original opinion on the whole thing, summed up in one word. No.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:24 pm

NY Celt I agree. And, I will add, I hate the thoughts of the season not starting until the last part of December. I look forward to the fall and the news coming out of training camp. I am a football fan, but am not willing to sacrafice the season of My Celtics to achieve their goal of crowning a champion.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 1 hour ago
The Celtics' schedule appears to be as follows based on @Vincent Goodwill report:

1. @ MIL
2. vs. WAS
3. @ TOR
4. @ BKN
5. @ WAS
6. @ MEM
7. vs. POR
8. vs. MIA

BOS is 3 games back of TOR for the 2nd seed, 2.5 ahead of MIA for the 4th seed & 4.5 ahead of IND and PHI for 5/6 seed.

bob
MY NOTE:  I don't understand the home/away crap.  Nobody is traveling, nor will they be playing in front of crowds, friendly or hostile.  Assuming this is the schedule, what do you think?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:48 pm

Celts have a tough road there.  Home/Away, if they win does it go toward the home court advantage stat??  Am I saying that right??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:09 am

Home/away is meaningless in the context of every team playing in one city.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:14 am

On the topic of home vs Away, I read something that suggested that teams may transport their home floors.

Can you imagine the iconic parquet being shipped down to Disney World to create a virtual rendition of home court.  This is the new normal but little seems normal to me.

To play or not to play is now a fait accompli.

I was against resumption of the season because of the risk of spreading the virus and the risk of injury.  The Covid 19 containment has been compromised because thousands and thousands of people are protesting in the top 25 cities that have already sustained major outbreaks.  

The cat is out of the bag.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:28 am

Dboss, that's a big problem with the protests...lack of social distancing, but if the NBA tests daily as the NHL is planning to do, the NBA should stay pretty much covid-19 safe.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:39 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:NY Celt  I agree.  And, I will add, I hate the thoughts of the season not starting until the last part of December.  I look forward to the fall and the news coming out of training camp. I am a football fan, but am not willing to sacrafice the season of My Celtics to achieve their goal of crowning a champion.  

Rosalie,

We may need to add a football topic to the forum when the time comes!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:17 pm

worcester wrote:Dboss, that's a big problem with the protests...lack of social distancing, but if the NBA tests daily as the NHL is planning to do, the NBA should stay pretty much covid-19 safe.
Worcester very true.  They will be tested daily.  how nice!  

Social distancing has been a point of contention since the beginning.  Social distancing will be practiced by some people such as myself but outside of my space, away from my self imposed containment zone, the virus is much more likely to head back up the roller coaster ride.

The impact on the NBA is now baked into the cake.  The Celtics will take to the court.

Here is an idea for home court advantage.  The home team can pump in simulated crowd noise, cheering on their team and booing everything else.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:26 pm

I wonder how many people will be isolated/quarantined on the property for the duration of play.  Of course the players, trainers, coaches and other staff are on the list.   How about the hotel staff, housekeeping, cooks, waiters, dish washers, etc.?  Then you have the refs, time keepers, video review folks, media people, camera and sound people, and many others that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

I cannot imagine any of these people will be allowed off the property to go home at night.  That would involve thousands of tests.  Is the entertainment value worth the amount of tests used in the endeavor?

I think I would rather let those tests go to the critical essential work force.

Last edited by gyso on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed to essential)

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:50 pm

worcester wrote:Home/away is meaningless in the context of every team playing in one city.

Worcester,

I heard a rumor that the away team might get the ball to start one quarter and the home will get it to start three quarters.
I'm not sure if that really is the plan.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:05 pm

I know of one coach who will be enjoying home court advantage in Orlando:Doc Rivers! He lives there.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:18 pm

worcester wrote:I know of one coach who will be enjoying home court advantage in Orlando:Doc Rivers! He lives there.

True. He will sleep in his bed every night.

We still don't know how all of this effects the lottery.
Will the lottery order be determined before the possible play-in series between the 8th and 9th place teams?
If Memphis loses in a play-in series and drops out of the playoffs, will Boston pick 14th and have a slim chance of moving into the top 4 with some ping-pong ball luck?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:18 pm

BobH,

Old habits die hard with Home/Away. Very interesting questions from dboss. Never thought about those yet as I was one for bagging the whole season.

Yeah, our stretch sucks. But I still think we will finish in 3rd. Prefer not to open with 76ers, though, if I had my choice. This whole exercise to the end of the season will be very interesting.

What's going to happen to LeBron and the Lakers if he gets COVID-19 during this stretch?

db

P.S. I still thinking we're about to get some bad news on these numbers and opening back up too soon. What's the NBA contingency plan then? Still full steam ahead? Then they start to look kind of greedy and desperate.

P.S.S. What's the deal with Disney World? In the one state with the oldest population and those that are most likely to contract and spread it? Not to sure about that one either.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:15 pm

ESPN Wide World of Sports, that is the reason they chose it, $$$$$
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:00 pm

I still wonder about FA and also both team and player options.

Much of what I have read seems so very convoluted.

The very idea that you can create a bubble of protection flies in the face of how Covid 19 spreads.

Families are going to summer camp as well. Players will go offsite. Florida may requires a 14 day quarantine for out of towners.

Money is the driving force behind what the NBA wants to do.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:30 am

dboss wrote:I still wonder about FA and also both team and player options.

Much of what I have read seems so very convoluted.

The very idea that you can create a bubble of protection flies in the face of how Covid 19 spreads.

Families are going to summer camp as well.  Players will go offsite.  Florida may requires a 14 day quarantine for out of towners.

Money is the driving force behind what the NBA wants to do.  

Money is the driving force and the far, far majority of players in the league want to play again.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:41 am

Given that the NBA paychecks are dependent upon playing games, yes, the players want to play. Still, it will be quite the grind mentally and physically, sequestered in a small Orlando area for up to 3 months. Basically in quarantine. The team with the best mental toughness and discipline will go far.

Last edited by worcester on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:47 am

One of the things I'm looking forward to is we will finally get to see where the Celtics stand, although it's going to be a little weird with the break. However, everyone has had the same amount of time off.

Unless we get some major breaks, I don't see us taking the title this year. It may very well come down to intangibles like which team spent the most time together and worked out the hardest during the break. Who knows. But it will be interesting!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:07 pm

I think the older teams may have a hard time getting the old engine to kick over. Teams with guys who have been together a long time may have an advantage.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:25 pm

I think the older teams may have a hard time getting the old engine to kick over. Teams with guys who have been together a long time may have an advantage.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down