wideclyde
gyso
cowens/oldschool
worcester
dboss
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Celtics Catch Raptors 102-99 Round 2 Game 2 Empty Celtics Catch Raptors 102-99 Round 2 Game 2

Post by dboss Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Marcus Smart gets the game ball for the second game in a row.  He was truly unbelievable.  In lickety- split fashion he single handedly put his stamp on this game while hitting 5 straight 3 point shots.  It was incredible.

I knew this would be a hard fought game.  The Raptors played hard but you could not help but get the feeling that we would win this contest.

How long will it take for COY Nick Nurse to figure out that posting up Siakum (6-16) ain't gonna work against our defense?

KW struggled through a poor shooting night until it really mattered.  He came alive just when we needed him to.

Brown also struggled from the field (Took some bad shots where he was not squared up) but his defense was great.  He had 8 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 blocks.

RWII was 5-5 and Brad is using him as our BU center for the 2nd straight game.  The Raptors cannot keep him from the rim.

Jayson Tatum was fantastic again dropping  34 points 8 boards and 6 assists.  He plays effortlessly.

This was a game the Raptors really needed to win and they came out strong.   We did not really play well.  Only 76 FGA but our defense continues to force teams to shoot poorly and through 6 games we are still holding the competition under 100 PPG.

Game 3 will be the beginning of a death march for the Raptors.  Clearly a must win situation.  They have not figured out how to beat the Celtics.  And the Celtics are about due to play a more perfect game.

The problems for the Raptors are not going away.  Their Backcourt is too small and their wings are not as skilled as our wings and now with the emergence of Rob, the center spot for them is not an advantage.

Brad Stevens is out coaching Nurse.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics Catch Raptors 102-99 Round 2 Game 2 Empty Re: Celtics Catch Raptors 102-99 Round 2 Game 2

Post by worcester Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:25 pm

Yes Brad is out coaching Nurse. he is putting Marcus Smart on the floor. Brad's smartest move.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Celtics Catch Raptors 102-99 Round 2 Game 2 Empty Re: Celtics Catch Raptors 102-99 Round 2 Game 2

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:31 pm

Excellent post dboss, we won this game with defense again, love the spark RWill is providing, if this kid can just get/stay healthy, he can be such an amazing force both ends. These kind of gritty, non perfect games are so good for a young teams growth. Kemba was ice cold early, but Brad stuck with him and Kemba and Tatum closed them out along with great big defensive plays by Jaylen and Smart. Smart seems to have the knack for giving the game what it needs, his 5 3’s were obviously crucial. Jaylen stopped Siakim a bunch of times in the post, blocking a few of his shots, huge gritty plays on their best big.

What can I say about Jayson Tatum? Routine superstar performance for the young talent, carrying us, scoring at all 3 levels and now getting to the line bigly. Tied a Celtic playoff record of Pierce and Bird with a 14-14 from the line. We were just clamoring for him to get to the line more a few months ago and he has the driving/scoring ability in traffic to do that. Great D also by Tatum throughout game, none bigger than last play, jumping on Van Fleets shooting hand without fouling him!! We are 6-0 in the playoffs without GH, got to give Bad Brad props for unleashing RWill at the right time and the coaches for getting the Timelord ready for this crucial part of the season. The results show Brad is making all the right moves and calls to get the young team over the hump at the big tense moments of playoff basketball. Gotta love it!!! I’m ecstatic we are up 2-0 right now!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:43 pm

Ecstatic? Me too!!

If Jayson were a fabric it would be silk.
Jaylen would be denim.
Marcus would be burlap.
Such amazing players. We are so lucky Danny drafted those three. Think about it.
Marcus in 2014.
TRo in 2015.
Jaylen 2016.
Jayson 2017.
Rob W 2018.
Romeo, Matisse, Grant, and Tremont in 2019.

Last edited by worcester on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:53 pm

GWill played some spirited defense in his brief time that will not show up on the boxscore. I see RWill, GWill and Romeo being part of regular rotation next year, RWill is giving us a huge spark right now!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:59 pm

So far these playoffs especially the matchups give Boston a really good chance to get to the finals.  Bucks have their hands filled with the Heat and the Celtics have greatly improved their odds at getting to the ECF.

There is still a lot of basketball yet to be played but Brad has his rotation guys ready to do whatever he needs of them.

I know we can play better.  

RW actually gives Boston an element that Must be accounted for.  His ability to roll to the rim puts tremendous pressure on them.  More please.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:27 am

Here is the Game Flow graph:

Celtics Catch Raptors 102-99 Round 2 Game 2 2020-078

The T I M E L O R D had a active run early on.
He had 3 dunks and a tip-in.
He closed the 1st quarter with a nice jumper.
Then it was a fairly close game until late in the 3rd quarter.
The Raptors took a 10 point lead behind a couple of Ibaka 3-pointers.
Then our defense kicked in.
It was a 4 minute clampdown to end the 3rd and start the 4th.
Then Marcus started his 3-point barrage.
The last one was an and-one, which gave us the lead, 86-85.
Soon after, our defense once again kicked in.
We had a 3 minute clampdown to extend our lead, 95-87.
Kemba and Jason took over from there.
They both hit FGs and FTs to close it out.

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:28 am

Not only are the Cs up 2-0 against the Raptors, but the way they play is making them so much fun to watch.

Basically the same team as last year except with Kemba Walker filling the role of the team's highest paid player to the fullest.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:38 am

dboss,

That feeling you have is the long, ever-building crescendo of a team never panicking in any situation.  Even getting down by 12 in the fourth quarter in a critical playoff game.  That comes from one person and one person only.  From the top down.  The coach.

I will correct myself.  I was hoping for another brow beating by the Celtics for G2.  What unfolded was far better than I could have ever wished for.  G2's result was and will be more horrific for TOR than another brow beating.  TOR played well enough to beat us, deserved to beat and they were even up by 12 early in the fourth/late in the 3rd.  (I watch these games in the middle of the night so I may be off!) They put out their BEST effort.  Then entered Marcus Smart.  What he did was what we wanted Carson Edwards to be able to do this season.  That was ruthless and cold-blooded.  And he does it with a non-assuming smile.  None of the other 29 teams in the league at the beginning of this crazy season ever put together a game plan on Marcus Smart beyond defense, especially beyond the 3 point line. (They also half-assed OG's attack game plan with his irregularities in and out of the line up/coming back from injury, etc.) All that may be the straw that breaks the camels back or in this case the velociraptor's back.

Brad is conducting a master class on playoff match ups, BTW.  More like PhD class.  MIL and MIA will be best to take note, even though they won't.    

This team is starting to scare me in a very good way.  I hope the rest of you feel the same way.  I"m just REALLY enjoying what we are seeing.  

Keep it up, Celtics!!!

db

P.S.  RWill gets the unsung hero award.  He's slaying it.  I can't wait to see him with 25 more pounds of muscle on him next season.  Hope he hangs out with Jayson!  

P.S.S.  Last point.  As great as all this is so far, TOR has come back from an 0-2 deficit to win an even bigger stage series.  The dagger for us must/has to be the next game.  Still nothing has changed for TOR.  BOS has made it one game further than last season's debacle which is great but TOR's comparison year over year is still unchanged.  Next game like dboss says would begin the death march for TOR.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:58 am

8 pounds of muscle a year is usually all one can expect to add.

This is one phenomenal team. Team. Team. Team. These Celts play as a team. Inspired by their truly fearless leader, Marcus Smart. Now even my girlfriend has a crush on him. He oozes so much testosterone the hardwood floor might get slippery.

Last edited by worcester on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:25 am

Now is the time for a G3, bring it all together barrage, clicking on all cylinders performance from us.  That would be/will be the end-all, be-all.  That would add insult to injury of which there is no recovery for TOR.  With the Brad Steven's "no panic button" firmly in place and the fact that we still haven't put it all together should be encouraging for G3.

Last edited by dbrown4 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 am

OK, worcester. Perhaps I was exaggerating just a bit! But thank you for the factual medical clarification!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:28 am

R Williams is showing that the traditional center is far from extinct. It may be a competitive advantage.

With the current Celtic roster, the traditional big could be the perfect complimentary piece.

No need for a big to stretch the floor with this group. The inside, low post game is the need.

I'll leave it for others to debate R Williams' frame. In my opinion, he's good to go as is. Injuries are the only concern.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:30 am

We need a clean game with less turnovers, I would even have whoever Siakim is covering to bring the ball up, that takes him out of the paint, letting Kemba play hide and seek moving without the ball. Time to mix it up further....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:32 am

RWill is probably getting all his open looks because of our wings opening up the floor and TOR's lack of game plan for our ever adjusting starting line ups due to injuries.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:47 am

NYCelt wrote:R Williams is showing that the traditional center is far from extinct. It may be a competitive advantage.

With the current Celtic roster, the traditional big could be the perfect complimentary piece.

No need for a big to stretch the floor with this group. The inside, low post game is the need.

I'll leave it for others to debate R Williams' frame. In my opinion, he's good to go as is. Injuries are the only concern.

Agreed and RWill has superhuman attributes that make him an ultimate finisher on the roll. The defense has to pick which poison they have to try to take away, with our wings and perimeter guys ability to drive and kick, adding Williams finishing ability is another dimension that can take this team to a superhuman level. I don’t see Theis, Kantor, Ibaka or Gasol finishing lobs the way RWill does.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:52 am

Hi,
Yes, it was a great win. Not only getting 2-0 but mostly by showing our superiority over the opponent.
TOR threw everything they could (thankfully due to COVID-19 kitchen sinks are not allowed) right from the starting jump-ball. Didn't help. Now they're at the end of their wits and skills. Totally frustrated.
Coach Nurse even voiced that frustration during press-time: how come JT had more FTs than his whole team.
My take on this series: if Celtics don't self-disintegrate (like they started to do in the 3rd quarter last night) it's done and done. Raps may pull out one game as a last grasp but it'll be it.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:00 am

I know I'm supposed to be cool here and mouth the usual stuff like "you have to win 4, not just 2" and "we have to focus on each game and not look past Toronto" but, you know what?  I'm calling this done.  The Raptors have, I believe, only lost 3 games in the bubble and all 3 of them were to the Celtics.  They were up 10 after 3 in this one and still lost.  They just have not figured us out.  We had 17 turnovers to 12 for them.  They had 10 steals vs 6 for us.  Those two, together, can make it hard to win but Brad has completely outcoached Nick.  And then there's this:

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
yesterday
NBA teams with a 2-0 series lead have gone on to win series 93.6 percent of the time. Last team to come back from a 2-0 deficit? 2019 Raptors (vs. Bucks)

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 8 hours ago
Putting aside the fact Toronto in its last 18 games is now 0-3 vs. Boston and 15-0 vs the rest of the league, try this on... Since a 6-point loss to Miami August 4th, the Celtics have played 10 games against playoff teams. They're 10-0, with a +14.2 scoring differential.

Marcus Smart is unbelievable.  Un.  flip*. Believable.  16 4th quarter points in 3:04.  When he's scoring he is in the running for being the best player on the floor.  That's a pretty strong statement considering obvious talents like Tatum, Kemba, Brown and whomever the best player on the other team is are on the floor too.

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
about 41 minutes ago
Marcus Smart’s 3’s headlined his performance yesterday, but he also held his matchups to just 2 points over 53 partial possessions on 1/8 FG, per the NBA’s tracking data.

Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
Jayson Tatum: "I ain't ever played with nobody like Smart. I ain't never met nobody like Smart. ... Anybody that watches him play, knows him, has ever played with him, knows there's nobody like Smart. Any time we're going to war I'll take him on my team every day of the week."

In the battle of the up-and-coming superstars Jayson Tatum is blowtorching Pascal Siakam.  Not even remotely close.  Siakam just signed a 4 year $130M extension, starting at $29M this year.  Pay the man, Danny, you have no choice after this series.  He's doing it in the playoffs, a playoff career-high 34 points last night.  That's what wins championships, having players play above their season averages.  Tatum is doing it, Siakam is not.  The result?  Celtics 2-0.  Smart started our 4th quarter run and got it down to a possession or two but Tatum was the closer.  Every time down the floor they tried to get it into his hands.  Kemba had a clutch 2 point fgm but for most of the offensive possessions in the last half of the 4th the ball was being put squarely into Jayson Tatum's hands, and he delivered.

Theis with a weak offensive game (3 points on 1-5) but 9 rebounds and 3 blocks.  2 assists and zero turnovers.  I don't care if Theis hits a single shot if he rebounds and contests.  Scorers we got by the bushelful.

But the emerging star at the center position is The Time Lord.  He is perfect from the field for the playoffs.  He hit a foul line jumper yesterday.  What I said about playing above season averages is RWill in spades.

Jaylen with a tough shooting game but 3 steals and was a primary defender on Siakam, who shot 6-16.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401240077

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:10 am

sinus007,

I always love the way coaches think the free throw numbers should be approx equal for both teams in every game. They call it "fair".  

We had/have way more free throws because we were driving to the basketball infinitely more times than TOR was/had.  There's nothing to be frustrated about.  Not the refs fault.  Can't blame them. (see below) Not the Celtics fault because up until now, the ref's whistles have been MIA for us driving, scoring and getting an And 1 or just getting fouled.  You're eventually going to get fouled especially when you're bulldozing it right down their throats on a good number of our possessions.  (Any numbers on that percentage available vs. TOR's same?  Just curious.) So who does that leave to blame or just swallow and accept?...  

Interesting point about RWill, bobh. And Theis for that matter. They are blocking these shots beyond the time that a whistle can blow against us. The blocks I'm seeing by us are after the ball has left TOR's hands and we are cutting across the shooter so that there is no body contact either. Results in a truly clean block and no chance for a whistle. I don't think I've seen anything like that since the Russell era. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:33 am

Dbrown4,
You're right about free trows. My point of Nurse's complain about JT's FTs is that it's an indication of his frustration which comes from inability to find ways to beat the opponent while the opponent does somehow find a way to beat his team again and again.
Also, it's not a reason it's an excuse.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 am

db, I tried to post a correction. 12# per year on average.

Last edited by worcester on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:44 am

I knew going into this series that all things considered, we had Marcus Smart.  I did not anticipate a 5 missile launch, all direct hits that left the Raptors shell shocked.

There is still a lot of basketball yet to be played.  The Celtics have yet to roll out their A game and if Marcus went 3-5 in that incredible run we may very well have lost this game.  We have to stop turning the ball over and we need to knock down all those wide open mid-range jumpers (Kemba)

What has remained constant throughout 6 games has been the quality of our defense. I hate to throw caution into the equation but G3 is very important.  We need that game and as long as our defense continues to limit their offensive efficiency we have an excellent chance to go up 3-0.

The so-called bench depth that they had going into this series has been cut off at the knees.  We have better defenders off our bench.

The Raptors played a ton of zone defenses because they cannot collectively check us one on one.  I expect more of the same from them.  COY Nurse has not figured out how to stop JT.  I expect they will employ a full time double teaming effort to take the ball out of his hands.  They will need to trap him whenever he touches the ball.

Our centers are doing a fantastic job in setting screens so our guys need to put the ball in the hole because there are wide open looks.  

This game may come down to other guys shooting well who are not named Jayson Tatum.  JT needs to be acutely aware that they will go after him so he needs to get the ball to an open teammate.  Coach Stevens has already told him about this and he had 6 assists in game 2.  

The GH factor can still be felt.  If we can get through this campaign and get him back in time for Round 3 we will be in great shape.

Even with no GH, I am reminded that the year he missed included a run to the ECF with MS, JT and JB leading the way.  All 3 of those guys are on another level now.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:53 am

sinus007 wrote:Dbrown4,
You're right about free trows. My point of Nurse's complain about JT's FTs is that it's an indication of  his frustration which comes from inability to find ways to beat the opponent while the opponent does somehow find a way to beat his team again and again.
Also, it's not a reason it's an excuse.

AK

Nurse is starting to sound a lot like Brett Brown.

Brad Steven NEVER makes excuses.

I think the COY award should not be awarded until after the playoffs. It is not like there is an award for a coach who takes his team to the championship. Right now coach Nurse is being out-coached by a guy who got zero votes. Right now coach Nurse sounds like a loser. He is playing the victim card.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Years ago my biggest complaint about Brad was that he did not play Jaylen enough nor have enough set plays for him. I worried that JB's confidence would be eroded. Then years later I had the same concern about Brad's handling of RWill. I was certainly wrong about both. Brad has figured out how to get the best out of everyone on his team, and it is quite the team. I haven't enjoyed watching Celtics basketball this much since 2008.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:55 pm

worcester wrote:Years ago my biggest complaint about Brad was that he did not play Jaylen enough nor have enough set plays for him. I worried that JB's confidence would be eroded. Then years later I had the same concern about Brad's handling of RWill. I was certainly wrong about both. Brad has figured out how to get the best out of everyone on his team, and it is quite the team. I haven't enjoyed watching Celtics basketball this much since 2008.

Brad Stevens gave us some insight into his thinking and how he determines rotations. RW is just in year 2 and has missed a lot of games due to injury. We saw flashes of what he is capable of doing. Kanter was the better option against the Sixers because we needed more girth in the post. Against the Raptors, Brad needs more mobility and so he has gone to Rob Williams and it is working. Rob is 10-10 on FGA.

Williams has a long way to go before he becomes an everyday player. Williams plays so high above the rim that the Raptors do not have anyone that can get up there with him. Rob has also turned into a reliable screener up top and he does it without committing stupid offensive fouls.

If Boston stops turning the ball over (23 first game and 17 in 2nd game) we will walk away with the series win. The Raptors are a feisty defensive bunch but we are seeing way too many unforced turnovers. These are mental errors. The Raptors simply cannot beat the Celtics unless the Celtics help them.

The Celtics mindset needs to be ...We're up 2 zip...so what
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next