Projected Cs target Isaiah Stewart models game on Bam Adebayo

+3
bobheckler
Shamrock1000
NYCelt
7 posters

Go down

Projected Cs target Isaiah Stewart models game on Bam Adebayo Empty Projected Cs target Isaiah Stewart models game on Bam Adebayo

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:39 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/23/nba-boston-celtics-isaiah-stewart-model-game-bam-adebayo/

Projected Cs target Isaiah Stewart models game on Bam Adebayo

Justin Quinn
October 23, 2020 7:28 pm

If you can’t beat ’em, draft the guy who learned all their big man’s tricks?

That’s not exactly how the old chestnut goes, but if the Boston Celtics follow the path laid out in Rookie Wire’s latest draft, they’ll be getting one of the more promising frontcourt prospects in the 2020 draft.

Who has reportedly been modeling some of his game on Miami Heat center Bam Adebayo’s.

That big man would be Washington’s Isaiah Stewart, a 6-foot-9 unit of a center who can rebound and protect the rim with a high motor. And while he doesn’t yet have a reliable jumper, he has flashed signs in his free throw percentage (77.4%) and form of being able to develop one.

He’s also not content to sit on his laurels while he waits for the draft, as he related to HoopsHype’s Bryan Kalbrosky:

“I’m a guy that likes to work on every single part of my game. I could probably list a hundred things I’ve been doing. But the main thing has definitely been my shooting. I have come a long way but I’m definitely shooting at a good clip right now. I’m just getting better at it every single day. We have also been working on passing, working on my IQ and being able to play in the short roll.
I watch a guy like Bam Adebayo who makes a lot of great passes in the short roll. He has a great IQ. I see how he is able to impact the game in that way. He is patient and he can read the defense and he doesn’t get sped up. The past college season, I was double-teamed and triple-teamed a lot. I needed to learn how to make better reads out of the high post.”

The former Husky put up 17 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in 32 games in his sole season with Washington, a former top-five recruit whose fit with the Huskies style of play may have tarnished his stock somewhat.

While we’re critical on the idea of taking Stewart 14th overall as Rookie Wire’s latest mock envisions the Celtics doing, we’re very much open to Boston doing so with one of their two latter firsts at Nos. 26 or 30.

But if that jumper does come along at even a league-average clip from downtown and Stewart ends up being taken in-between the Celtics range of selections, such a play might be one the franchise regrets considerably.

I've been on my draft Stewart campaign practically since he signed his letter of intent to play for Washington. One thing the miss here, that has been missed everywhere, is that he can shoot reliably from beyond the arc. He can do it, I've witnessed it, but Washington's offense did not call for him to take those shots. Although 6'9" is on the shorter side, his huge wingspan and incredibly muscled frame are more than enough to compensate. No one will push him around in the NBA paint. He's been diligent about workouts since the shutdown, both here and out west. He's even been back here at McQuaid working with NBA ball-handling guru Tyler Relph; he does have a handle, especially for a big. I'm not certain taking Isaiah at 14 can be justified, but he may not last past 20, so some dealing might be needed if he truly becomes a Celtic target. So make it happen Danny. I'd be all geeked out about having a Celtic that has played X-Box with my son.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Projected Cs target Isaiah Stewart models game on Bam Adebayo Empty Re: Projected Cs target Isaiah Stewart models game on Bam Adebayo

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:18 pm

Sounds like a smart guy, with 1) a mature understanding of the nuances of the game and what it takes to get better, 2) a high motor, and 3) physical strength. Given his ft%, also sounds like shooting mechanics are there. If he were more explosive/athletic, he could be a high prospect. If he's a stretch at #14, maybe we trade the two lower 1sts to get him. From your post and what I've read elsewhere, it sounds like he could thrive in the current Celtics culture.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Projected Cs target Isaiah Stewart models game on Bam Adebayo Empty Re: Projected Cs target Isaiah Stewart models game on Bam Adebayo

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:48 pm

MY Note:  A candidate for #26 - #30.  Projected #31 by nbadraft.net

Per nbadraft.net

NBA Comparison: Danny Fortson/Antonio Davis

Strengths:

Rugged big man with a tireless motor and youthful exuberance  ..  He is physically gifted with tremendous strength and decent touch around the rim … A physical specimen strength wise and has elite length with a 7’4 wingspan … Utilizes his strength well to post up against taller big men … Uses a variety of post moves effectively with good hands and body control around the basket … Post game consists of some nice jump hooks and up-and-unders … Shows some natural shot blocking instincts … Great, physical defender who averaged over 2 blocks per game, utilizing his length very well … Strength and energy level allow for him to dominate on the glass … Has the ability to take mid-range jumpers out of the post upon entry … Dominated all season long in the post with jump ball entry passes and pinning his defenders for easy layups … Has a solid shooting motion, just needs to gain confidence over time … Efficient shooter at the free throw line at 77%, which gives his face up, mid range game nice promise … Was very productive both scoring and on the boards as a freshman … Very young. Turns 19 on May 22nd …

Weaknesses:

Below the rim athlete … Very long with decent mobility, but lacks great leaping ability to finish athletic plays above the rim … Struggles to convert ally oops as he needs time to get his feet organized to explode and convert …  His lack of explosiveness could inhibit his ability to score on the block against more explosive opponents … It’s also questionable whether he has the size and explosiveness be a rim protector at the next level … Struggles to create offense for himself as his post game and ability to get open looks need further development … Very muscle bound, but seems to sacrifice some flexibility with his muscle mass … Does not threaten opposing defenses with perimeter shooting at this point … Lacks a three point shot, and needs to extend his range beyond the paint … One dimensional post player who may struggle facing stronger, taller, and more talented big men … Heavy footed … Lateral speed is not great … Lacks foot speed and overall quickness which will hurt his defensive ability against stretch 4’s and athletic centers … Lacks a first step, limiting his ability to beat defenders off the dribble, instead finding success against them with post moves and quick jumpers … Relatively non-existent passer in the offense … Needs to cut down on the turnovers, 2.2 per game … Despite a 7’4 wingspan, he’s just 6’9, which is on the small side for the center position …

Outlook:

Stewart became one of the most physically imposing big men in the entire country during his one year stop at the University of Washington … Stewart projects to be a mid-to-late first round pick in this year’s NBA Draft … Until he develops a perimeter shooting game, his ceiling will remain low as he will peak as a good/great rebounder with defensive ability … His physicality will allow him to play right away as it is hard to see him being pushed around with his build … Probably fits best on a team that likes to pound the ball and play a slower style of game …

Notes: Stewart measured 6’8 barefoot, 6’9 in shoes, 242 lbs, with a 7’4 wingspan, and a 9’0.5′ standing reach as a senior in high school … Averaged 17 PPG, 8.8 RPG, and 2.1 BPG at Washington … 57% field goal percentage … A 6’9, 250 pound, 18 year old center … 1st team All-Pac-12 and 1st team All -Pac-12 Freshman team … Was the #3 Rated Recruit in 2019 ESPN 100 Rankings … Gained experience against some of the best big men in this year’s class (Onyeka Okongwu, Freddie Gillespie, Filip Petrusev, Zeke Nnaji) …

Derek Bast 4/21/20

Strengths:

6’9 athletic big man … Great length with a 7’4 wingspan and 9’0.5 standing reach … Good mobility, speed, and athleticism, especially at his size at 244 pounds. Gets off the ground quick and finishes plays above the rim. Measured a 29 inch standing vertical and 35 inch max vertical at the La Lumiere Combine in September 2018. Very light on his feet for his size. Swift footwork and maneuvers well to the basket. Impressive combination of power and finesse … Great strength and is physically ready for the next level. Likes to bang and is in control when playing/defending in the post … Great motor and energy, often times the first one up the floor. Wears out opponents … Very good touch inside and uses glass when appropriate. Shows a jump hook and has a good foundation for an offensive game in the low post. Consistently goes into the post, doesn’t drift to the perimeter. Averaged 11 points per game while shooting 54.5% FG% over the Nike EYBL in 2017 and averaged 17.6 points per game while shooting 58.5% FG% in 2018. Averaged 11.1 points per game while shooting 65.9% FG% in the U17 World Cup in 2018 … Has made improvement on his jump shot and face up game. Improved midrange shooter and has started stretching the floor to knock down threes with good form … Alert and reacts quickly. Good hands … Passes well out of the post and doesn’t force up bad shots … Good rebounder on both ends, converts offensive rebounds into points at a good rate. Averaged 8.4 rebounds (3.6 offensive) per game over the Nike EYBL in 2017 and finished third in 2018 with 10.6 rebounds (three offensive) per game. Averaged 8.4 rebounds per game in the U17 World Cup in 2018 … Good defender with versatility. Can defend the post as well as switch onto the perimeter with his quick feet and lateral movement. Good shot blocker and contests without fouling. Averaged 1.4 blocks per game over the Nike EYBL in 2018 … Vocal and team player. Willing screener and ideal skillset as a roll man with potential as a pick and pop shooter … Hard worker and has consistently improved his game. Coachable and does all the things you want from a big man …

Weaknesses: Improving as a free throw shooter but still has room to get better. Shot 51.2% FT% over the Nike EYBL in 2017 and 68.2% FT% in 2018. Shot 66.7% FT% in the U17 World Cup in 2018 … Can expand his post-game. Good foundation but needs to throw in some counters and drop steps when the defense overplays his jump hook/right hand. Can improve finishing with his left hand … Minimal ability put the ball on the floor. Has to have a guard come get it after defensive rebounds or in the half-court if he doesn’t immediately make a move or take a shot after catching the ball …

Outlook:

Incoming Washington freshman … Scored 16 points on 8-11 shooting in the 2019 McDonald’s All-American Game … Scored 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds (four offensive) in the 2019 Jordan Brand Classic … Played in the 2019 Nike Hoop Summit … Led La Lumiere to finish runner up at the Geico National Championship, finishing with 14 points and seven rebounds in the championship game … 2018 All-Peach Jam: First Team with averages of 19 points, 12.7 rebounds, 1.4 blocks, 53.5% FG%, and 84.6% FT% … 2018 All-EYBL First Team … Won Gold with USA in the U17 World Cup in 2018 …

Evan Tomes 8/2/19

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:21 pm

In a match up against USC and Okongwu, he outscored him and out rebounded him. I’m hoping he has a little Karl Malone in him....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:00 am

The more I’m checking out Stewart, the more I’m liking him at 14, we need a big, while he is not a 7 footer, he has a lot more size than GWill and more scoring ability than Theis. He has extremely long arms and has a very physical presence too. I would love to pair him with RWill, as young 4-5 tandem, allowing Tatum to flourish further as a 3. Then hopefully in the later rounds we can find a point with some ability and size to further develop.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:53 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:The more I’m checking out Stewart, the more I’m liking him at 14, we need a big, while he is not a 7 footer, he has a lot more size than GWill and more scoring ability than Theis. He has extremely long arms and has a very physical presence too. I would love to pair him with RWill, as young 4-5 tandem, allowing Tatum to flourish further as a 3. Then hopefully in the later rounds we can find a point with some ability and size to further develop.

Cow,

Why would Danny use a lottery pick on a player who is projected in the late 20s-early 2nd round?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:56 pm

posted this in the draft thread, but meant it here

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/lists/2020-nba-mock-draft-all-60-picks-post-combine/
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:14 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:The more I’m checking out Stewart, the more I’m liking him at 14, we need a big, while he is not a 7 footer, he has a lot more size than GWill and more scoring ability than Theis. He has extremely long arms and has a very physical presence too. I would love to pair him with RWill, as young 4-5 tandem, allowing Tatum to flourish further as a 3. Then hopefully in the later rounds we can find a point with some ability and size to further develop.

Cow,

Why would Danny use a lottery pick on a player who is projected in the late 20s-early 2nd round?

Bob

Because he is the closest thing out there to what we need, and very good chance he won’t be there at 26. Have you seen the video of him? He shutdown Okongwu in a head to head match up.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Celtics fan would be pleased with this pick.  This kid has a great motor.  He would become a fan favorite.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:25 pm

dboss wrote:Celtics fan would be pleased with this pick.  This kid has a great motor.  He would become a fan favorite.

I think worse mentioned he wanted someone like Leon Powe, well he can be that and more.

Been looking at potential picks as much as I can, would I want Wiseman? Ofcourse, but he’s not gonna be there at 14, we have enough wings, 2 J’s GH and Romeo, who I haven’t given up on yet is plenty. Maybe we still can get lucky and get a non midget point....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:02 am

Yes, I do want Leon Powe # 2, and if this Stewart guy is him, let's package our later two #1 picks to move up and draft him.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:09 pm

worcester wrote:Yes, I do want Leon Powe # 2, and if this Stewart guy is him, let's package our later two #1 picks to move up and draft him.

Worse check out his you tube clips, young beast, will post and bang in paint all day, I think more a 4, part time 5, but we need rebounding and toughness on the frontline.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:13 pm

I think he reminds me of a combo of Leon Powe and Willis Reed....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Are the Celtics ready to develop another young center (2-3 yrs)

If they are, I think this kid may be a candidate.

We still need to figure out the center spot for next year.  If the Celtics bring back Baynes they would have to use their MLE.  But we still have a hole in our bench rotation for a proven scorer/shooter.  I still maintain that is our biggest flaw.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:10 pm

dboss wrote:Are the Celtics ready to develop another young center (2-3 yrs)

If they are, I think this kid may be a candidate.

We still need to figure out the center spot for next year.  If the Celtics bring back Baynes they would have to use their MLE.  But we still have a hole in our bench rotation for a proven scorer/shooter.  I still maintain that is our biggest flaw.

dboss,

I think with Isaiah or Carey there is no extended development time needed. Plug and play. Retain Theis and R Williams, goodbye Kanter and Poirier.

Theis gets the majority of forward minutes, but Isaiah/Carey shouldn't be far behind.  RWIII should get one more shot to prove he belongs as well.

From those three, if RWIII can stay healthy, there should be enough closure on the front-court need to turn attention to the gaps in bench shooting and a PG to get some relief minutes and develop.

That's the way I would play it if not trading up. Of course, I'm not D Ainge, so who knows?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Makes sense NYCelt.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 pm

worcester wrote:Makes sense NYCelt.

Careful what you say. Now everyone will expect me to start making sense.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down