Report: Celtics have shown ‘great interest' in Pistons' Isaiah Stewart

+3
dbrown4
bobheckler
NYCelt
7 posters

Go down

Report: Celtics have shown ‘great interest' in Pistons' Isaiah Stewart Empty Report: Celtics have shown ‘great interest' in Pistons' Isaiah Stewart

Post by NYCelt Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:57 pm

My comment: I don't know how realistic this one is, or how genuine the report of Boston's interest. It apparently would take a deal sending out something like a Horford and Pritchard package.
If so, or any reality to the report at all, I say, DO IT, BRAD!
Send out Horford, Pritchard, draft picks, whoever. Porzingis is fragile, probably plays for us one or two seasons. Stewart is a beast, and could man the center position for years to come. We can find another guard to replace Pritchard much easier than another big like Stewart.
Most likely just one for my Christmas wish list that Santa isn't bringing. Regardless, as soon as I saw the headline I endorsed the idea at the top of my lungs. Nothing like scaring everyone in the office.

NBC Sports Boston

Report: Celtics have shown ‘great interest' in Pistons' Isaiah Stewart

Nick Goss

Mon, Dec 18, 2023, 1:09 PM EST·2 min read

The NBA trade market could ramp up soon, and one player expected to feature prominently in the rumor mill is Detroit Pistons center Isaiah Stewart.

The Pistons sit at the bottom of the league standings with a 2-24 record. They have lost 23 consecutive games entering Monday night.

The Athletic's James L. Edwards III reported Monday morning that the Pistons are "expected to be active in trade discussions leading up to the February deadline."

He also reports that "contending teams like Boston, Oklahoma City and Dallas have shown great interest in Isaiah Stewart."

Stewart was a first-round pick (No. 16 overall) of the Portland Trail Blazers in 2020 and was traded to the Pistons less than a week later. He is averaging 10.2 points and 6.8 rebounds per game this season after averaging 11.3 points and 8.1 rebounds in 2022-23. Stewart is a little undersized for a center at 6-foot-8, but he does play a physical brand of basketball and rebounds well.

The Celtics would be wise to upgrade their depth at center. They currently have a nice 1-2 punch at the position with Kristaps Porzingis and Al Horford. However, Porzingis has a lengthy injury history and Horford is in Year 17 of his career at 37 years old. Adding another big man who can play in the playoffs at center or power forward would be an excellent move for Boston.

But how realistic of a target is Stewart?

As Spotrac's Keith Smith points out, Stewart's contract could make it difficult for the Celtics to acquire him. They'd have to match up around $13 million in salary, and that would be tough for Boston considering it has just two players (Al Horford and Payton Pritchard) making between $3 million and $18 million. They don't have many mid-tier salaries.

Stewart's name is worth monitoring as the trade market develops in the coming weeks and months.

The Celtics have the most talented roster in the league, but it's still worth adding a little bit more depth for the playoffs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-celtics-shown-great-interest-174008010.html
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics have shown ‘great interest' in Pistons' Isaiah Stewart Empty Re: Report: Celtics have shown ‘great interest' in Pistons' Isaiah Stewart

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:04 pm

Isaiah "Beef" Stewart is getting paid $5M this year.  He signed a contract extension that kicks in next year for $15M.

Therefore, unless I'm completely misunderstanding this, we only need to match somewhere close to $5M in salary to get him.  Next year's contract is next year's, you don't have to match how much they will be paid sometime in the non-current contract year future.  There is a poison pill that makes him untradeable before 7/1/24, which is to say this current contract year.  I suppose it is possible that clause can be waived by mutual consent between Stewart and the Pistons and, if I was him, I'd love to get out of Detroit now.  

From our perspective, because we are over the apron, we'd need to send out $4.55M in salary since we can only take back 110% of what we send out.  We have a couple of players that make $2.0M or less (Oshae, Lamar, Dalano) but it would take all three of them to get over $4.55M.  Payton makes $4M, but I'm not sure I see Brad trading Payton, although I'm not feeling that strongly on that. While Danny pulled the trigger a lot he also didn't pull the trigger a lot because he liked players. I think Brad is even more cold-blooded than Danny. Just my feeling.

What about TPEs?  Can you use a TPE to get to $4.55M? Are TPEs considered to be "salary" for the purpose of trades and the apron?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/isaiah-stewart-70658/#:~:text=Current%20Contract,dead%20cap%20value%20of%20%245%2C266%2C713.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics have shown ‘great interest' in Pistons' Isaiah Stewart Empty Re: Report: Celtics have shown ‘great interest' in Pistons' Isaiah Stewart

Post by dbrown4 Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:04 am

All good questions. For me, I know as much about Stewart as I did about Derrick leading up to the trade. DET ain't on my LP watchlist. Heck I don't think they are on anyone's watchlist, even DET fans. If we can get him for scraps, I'd say go for it. But being traded to DET is worse than being traded to CHA or SAC before Mike Brown. Sending out Al to DET would kill him, so I like your logic on the matching salaries for THIS season and hope it is right. Brad brought Al back to Boston from the dead before already, though. I don't think he would do it again this late in Al's career. Brad wants Al to get his ring. Interesting, though.

Well, back to the present. The West Coast Stretch From Hell is upon us! Get your popcorn and Twizzlers! "Somebody better tell Bill to grab a Coke and smile and shut the eff up!" (Anyone?! I'll be surprised if anyone gets this one.)

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:30 am

I don't understand the salary situation either. Seems Bob H take is accurate, but who knows. If you can get Detriot to take Kornet, and one or two other bench players with some draft picks and /or use the TPE it would be great move. Stewart is a tough physical player with some offensive skills.

However, no way would I trade PP or Al. PP is a solid rotation player. He's also young and on a favorable contract. Al is still a valuable veteran player with tons of playoff experience. If the goal is a championship this year you need both PP and Al.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:43 pm

Sorry NY Celt, Al is going nowhere. no way Brad is trading him, and I am beginning to believe the same of Pritchard. The rest of the bench? Group them together and send some of them off. I have no idea about $$$$ issues, I do have a strong feeling that getting rid of Al is a big mistake, just like Belechick made with Brady!!!!!!!!! Sorry to disagree with you but I love Al and all that he has done for this team, what a slap it would be to ship him out in the year that he could finally reach the goal he so wants. Just not happening. Brad is a smart guy, what that does to the locker room is take away a guy who has done everything asked of him and more.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:44 pm

NYCelt

Just the other day as i was thinking about the Celtics adding another big, guess who's name popped into my head?

Yes, Isaiah Stewart. I am reminded that you were high on him before the 2020 NBA Draft. I also believed that he would have been a really good addition for our front line. nesmith was drafted at #14 and stewart was drafted by the Blazers at 16th then traded to the rockets and then over to the Pistons.

He makes $5.2 million this season so we do not have to match his future salary. The Celtics have the Grant Williams $6.2 million TPE that they could use to acquire him. They do not have to move anyone. They would probably have to give up a pick to make it happen.

One of the reason why Stewart's name popped up for me is the horrendous play of the Pistons. It makes all the sense in the world to poach a player from a bad team. I would be on the phone yesterday to see what the Pistons would be willing to accept. I agree with Rosalie that AH and PP should not be in the conversation. The other alternative would be to move Kornet and one of our rotation wings and maybe a 2 way guy and a pick.

However, the GW TPE is the way to go because Stewart would complete our 15 man roster and the Celtics have enough draft capital to make it happen. Brad has figured out that draft picks are the best way to improve your roster especially when those picks are unlikely to land in the draft lottery.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:12 pm

I read that both the Mavs and the Thunder are also interested in Stewart.  Dallas needs a tough defender and rebounder.  Grant Williams is not a good rebounder (3.7 per game.

OKC needs a physical PF/Center

Stewart is a PF/C  

The Mavs have 15 guys already.  They do not have a TPE to use.  They do not have a $5.2 million guy to move therefore they would need to move at least 2 players.  i think the likely guy would be Markieff Morris at $3.2 million (not fully guaranteed until Jan, 2024) and one other piece in the $2 million range.  They do not have draft assets as good as Boston.

OKC has a ton of draft picks to use but they do not have a TPE to use therefor I am pretty certain that a player or 2 would have to be moved.  They already have a 15 man roster.

Boston's TPE may very well trump the competition particularly if the Pistons are more interested in adding draft picks than they are players.  

The elephant in the mix would be the Stewart contract beginning next season.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:53 pm

I’ve also noticed Stewart since NY Celt pointed him out years ago and he adds a dimension that teams still need ala Paul Silas. Anyone who doesn’t see that he couldn’t help us, doesn’t know the game. Guy is a rock and adds a lot of toughness that doesn’t show up on the boxscore. There must be some way to use the TPE and pull off another heist. Please pull it off Brad.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down