6 posters

Go down

Celtics Signing A Turner Empty Celtics Signing A Turner

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
11m
10-year NBA veteran Evan Turner is finalizing a deal to join the Boston Celtics as an assistant coach, sources tell
@TheAthleticNBA

@Stadium
. Turner is expected to focus on player development.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Signing A Turner Empty Re: Celtics Signing A Turner

Post by gyso Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Bob,

You had me going there for a second. He can certainly instruct our players with positioning.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 39 minutes ago
Evan Turner does have some coaching experience. He helped guide Ohio State alumni to the 2019 TBT title. “Brad’s made it to the Final Four a couple times [at Butler], and the only championship [I was in], I won. These skills got us to the ship and got us the big money."

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:45 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/11/boston-celtics-rumors-evan-turner-will-join-team-on-the-bench-as-assistant-coach-report.html

Boston Celtics rumors: Evan Turner will join team on the bench as assistant coach (report)

Updated 1:02 PM; Today 1:02 PM

Celtics Signing A Turner H5FGEFZPIJGJ7EAFJA2AAKOIQE
Evan Turner. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Getty Images

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

The Boston Celtics have always liked Evan Turner, and his time in Boston helped him earn a massive contract with the Portland Trail Blazers in 2016.

The Celtics’ roster is full entering the 2020-21 season, but they reportedly have figured out a way to bring Turner back anyway -- per the Athletic’s Shams Charania, Turner is nearing an agreement with the Celtics to become an assistant coach with a focus on player development.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
10-year NBA veteran Evan Turner is finalizing a deal to join the Boston Celtics as an assistant coach, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Turner is expected to focus on player development.
9:08 AM · Nov 30, 2020

Turner was an entertaining player in Boston. At one point, he deadpanned that the NBA should change its logo to a silhouette of himself. When asked about New Year’s resolutions at one point, he said he wanted to keep his 27-year streak of not getting arrested alive. After leaving Boston, he told ESPN’s Zach Lowe he expects Brad Stevens to win an NBA championship in Boston. When he was queried about that quote the next time Celtics media met him in Portland, Turner described a scenario in which he would return to Boston.

“You guys are going to bring me back one day, whether it’s GM or a president,” Turner said. “I don’t know if Danny or them are going to be done. Or just as one of the players, I’ll get my sixth-man award or something, and then I’ll go do the (Andre) Iguodala thing. I’ll get Finals MVP, and me and Brad ride off into the sunset together with Brady (Stevens, Brad’s son). So I think obviously he’s probably just trying to figure out a way to get me back and go get that championship. That’s the only way I can see it working.”

But Turner was a useful player -- as well as a funny one -- in Boston as the Celtics built back toward relevancy in the wake of the deals that sent Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to Brooklyn. In 2014-15, he started 57 games as the Celtics made a surprise run to the playoffs. In 2016-17, he averaged 10.9 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.4 assists off the bench. A stellar playmaker at 6-foot-7 who was deadly in the mid-range and around the rim, his biggest flaw was his long-range shooting -- Turner hit 29.4 percent of his 3-point attempts during his career.

“You’ve got to respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter,” Turner quipped at one point in Boston. “A guy like that is always lethal.”

Turner, a former No. 2 pick of the Philadelphia 76ers in the NBA Draft, signed a four-year deal with the Portland Trail Blazers worth $70 million in 2016. He was traded to the Atlanta Hawks for Kent Bazemore in 2019 before being dealt before the trade deadline to Minnesota in February.

As a player development coach with the Celtics, Turner will have a chance to influence players who will have an outsized impact on the team this year. Aaron Nesmith needs to be able to contribute right away, especially if Marcus Smart joins the starting lineup in Gordon Hayward’s absence. Romeo Langford may or may not be healthy at the start of the season, but Hayward’s departure made his future even more important to the Celtics. Payton Pritchard could get regular minutes.

Turner might be a natural fit as a coach. He was a high-IQ basketball player, and his sense of humor made him a popular member of the Celtics locker room. Younger players might appreciate having a 32-year-old fresh off his playing days who can help them adjust to life in the NBA.

After all, you’ve got to respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:46 pm

i think this is a good signing. He is just removed from playing, is a smart guy, Brad has always liked him, and he will be able to relate to the young guys on the team. He is not "old time" basketball, is still aware of the game the way it is played today and what these kids will need to work on. Not bad signing as far as I am concerned
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Good addition.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:00 pm

One of the best interviews in the entire league. Will be fun to have him back!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:20 pm

We got an NBA player on the bench now. This should help

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down