Bucks
Heat
Celtics
Sixers
Nets
Raptors
Pacers
Hawks

There have been major changes in the Eastern Conference.  Some things will not change much and other will.  A lot of key guys have come and others have gone.

I have the Bucks finishing atop the Conference.  They were the best regular season team last year and added a top of the line 2-way PG in Jrue Holiday.  They have an excellent threesome now.

At #2 I have been going back and forth on this pick but I decided to put the Heat in that position over the Celtics.  The determining factor for me is Kemba Walker not being ready and GH no longer here.  Basically, we lost to them in the playoffs because kemba was hurting and GH pretty much was ineffective.  The Heat lost Crowder  and added Avery which is a net loss to them.  They also drafted Precious.  He wants to be the next Bam but he has a long way to go.  He can rebound and defend but he is less than a willing passer and is a poor Ft shooters and an undeveloped shot maker from deep.  Basically he will come off the bench and give them a dose of energy.  I think he can help them but with Crowder they had chemistry at both ends.  Herro, Nunn and sharpshooter Robinson come back with a productive year under their belt.  I expect them to be a tough out on any given night

I am taking Boston to finish 3rd.  If anyone sees them as a big underdog, Brad never lets them play that way.    We need Kemba to come back healthy and we need a guy or two to come off of the pine and make our rotation more productive on offense.  Our center position looks more like a strength with the addition of TT.  With a healthy KW our PG rotations are solid (KW, MS and JT)  We have 2 great interchangeable wings in Jayson and Jaylen.  We have a 1st team defender in Marcus Smart.  Boston could jump over the Heat if all goes well.  The Celtics will still be one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.

I am going with the Sixers over the Nets for 4th because they have a better coach and their two best players have been together for a while.  Tobias Harris has played for Doc before but I think their biggest weakness will be at the SF spot if he stays at the 4.  I do not see where Dwight Howard upgrades their center position over AH.    Seith Curry is a great 3 point shooter but undersized at 6' 2".  He replaces Josh Richardson who has more size and is a better defender but a below average shooter.  So they added more offensive efficiency but are weaker on defense.  

I am going with the Nets to finish 5th but they could easily go much higher than that.  Until we see how Durant plays we really will not know how far they can go.  They will have some early chemistry issues given a rookie coach and pairing KI/KD with the rest of their team.  On paper they could be a scary offensive ball club.

I have the Raptors sliding down to #6.  They lost both Gasol and Ibaka and replaced them with Baynes and Boucher.  That is a net loss on both offense and defense.  

Indiana slides to #7 because they too have a new coach.  A 100% healthy Olidipo is probably the key to how far they go.  They added Duke guard Cassius Stanley in the draft.  They have limited quality options at the SF  (GH would have changed that)

The 8th spot is a tough one but there will be a play in situation so several teams may slide into this spot.  I am going with the Atlanta Hawks to break the ice.  They have added quality veterans into the mix and should be better on defense.  They were really bad defending last year.  A healthy Capela is a difference maker in the middle.  Their rookie out of USC was considered the best defensive guy in the draft.  They also added two high quality veteran shooters, a championship experience PG (Rondo) and a ball hawking guard in Kris Dunn.  Last year, Trae Young, John Collins, Kevin Huerter and rookie DeAndre Hunter played very well.  The key to what happens now will reflect heavily on coach Lloyd Pierce's ability to integrate all those veterans with all the young guys into a cohesive team that can defend.

Washington made the Westbrook trade but having two high end scorers will not be enough to move the needle much.  They are a poor defensive team
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Eastern Conference 1-8 Empty Re: Eastern Conference 1-8

Post by NYCelt Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:30 pm

Probably a fairly accurate picture.

I make the Nets the potential surprise. If they fire on all cylinders I think they could go as high as 2. Skill level will need to check ego for that to happen.

In the East I would make Atlanta and Washington the dark horses. I believe Atlanta could make some serious noise. They might have the talent to rise to 6, maybe 5.

It wouldn't be a total shock to see Miami take the conference again, although the Bucks will be a tough out.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:17 pm

dboss wrote:EC pecking order.

Bucks
Heat
Celtics
Sixers
Nets
Raptors
Pacers
Hawks

There have been major changes in the Eastern Conference.  Some things will not change much and other will.  A lot of key guys have come and others have gone.

I have the Bucks finishing atop the Conference.  They were the best regular season team last year and added a top of the line 2-way PG in Jrue Holiday.  They have an excellent threesome now.

At #2 I have been going back and forth on this pick but I decided to put the Heat in that position over the Celtics.  The determining factor for me is Kemba Walker not being ready and GH no longer here.  Basically, we lost to them in the playoffs because kemba was hurting and GH pretty much was ineffective.  The Heat lost Crowder  and added Avery which is a net loss to them.  They also drafted Precious.  He wants to be the next Bam but he has a long way to go.  He can rebound and defend but he is less than a willing passer and is a poor Ft shooters and an undeveloped shot maker from deep.  Basically he will come off the bench and give them a dose of energy.  I think he can help them but with Crowder they had chemistry at both ends.  Herro, Nunn and sharpshooter Robinson come back with a productive year under their belt.  I expect them to be a tough out on any given night

I am taking Boston to finish 3rd.  If anyone sees them as a big underdog, Brad never lets them play that way.    We need Kemba to come back healthy and we need a guy or two to come off of the pine and make our rotation more productive on offense.  Our center position looks more like a strength with the addition of TT.  With a healthy KW our PG rotations are solid (KW, MS and JT)  We have 2 great interchangeable wings in Jayson and Jaylen.  We have a 1st team defender in Marcus Smart.  Boston could jump over the Heat if all goes well.  The Celtics will still be one of the top defensive teams in the NBA.

I am going with the Sixers over the Nets for 4th because they have a better coach and their two best players have been together for a while.  Tobias Harris has played for Doc before but I think their biggest weakness will be at the SF spot if he stays at the 4.  I do not see where Dwight Howard upgrades their center position over AH.    Seith Curry is a great 3 point shooter but undersized at 6' 2".  He replaces Josh Richardson who has more size and is a better defender but a below average shooter.  So they added more offensive efficiency but are weaker on defense.  

I am going with the Nets to finish 5th but they could easily go much higher than that.  Until we see how Durant plays we really will not know how far they can go.  They will have some early chemistry issues given a rookie coach and pairing KI/KD with the rest of their team.  On paper they could be a scary offensive ball club.

I have the Raptors sliding down to #6.  They lost both Gasol and Ibaka and replaced them with Baynes and Boucher.  That is a net loss on both offense and defense.  

Indiana slides to #7 because they too have a new coach.  A 100% healthy Olidipo is probably the key to how far they go.  They added Duke guard Cassius Stanley in the draft.  They have limited quality options at the SF  (GH would have changed that)

The 8th spot is a tough one but there will be a play in situation so several teams may slide into this spot.  I am going with the Atlanta Hawks to break the ice.  They have added quality veterans into the mix and should be better on defense.  They were really bad defending last year.  A healthy Capela is a difference maker in the middle.  Their rookie out of USC was considered the best defensive guy in the draft.  They also added two high quality veteran shooters, a championship experience PG (Rondo) and a ball hawking guard in Kris Dunn.  Last year, Trae Young, John Collins, Kevin Huerter and rookie DeAndre Hunter played very well.  The key to what happens now will reflect heavily on coach Lloyd Pierce's ability to integrate all those veterans with all the young guys into a cohesive team that can defend.

Washington made the Westbrook trade but having two high end scorers will not be enough to move the needle much.  They are a poor defensive team

I agree with your top 8.
I think Brooklyn is the 2nd best regular season team in the East.
I put Boston at 4 or 5.
If Kemba is out for an extended time, I think Philly could finish 4th and Boston 5th.
If definitely looks like Toronto, Indiana and Atlanta have a good chance of finishing 6-8.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 pm

TJ the Nets have talent however Durant will likely take shots away from other guys. He has not played since June of 2019 so the injury impact is an unanswered question.

I believe Boston will be a better defensive team than Brooklyn and that may be the decisive factor. Philly will have to learn how to win on the road, something they have not done well under BB. A new system goes in under Doc so let's see if they fuse together.

Every team in the East have questions some more than others.

It should be fun.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 pm

dboss wrote:TJ the Nets have talent however Durant will likely take shots away from other guys. He has not played since June of 2019 so the injury impact is an unanswered question.

I believe Boston will be a better defensive team than Brooklyn and that may be the decisive factor.  Philly will have to learn how to win on the road, something they have not done well under BB.  A new system goes in under Doc so let's see if they fuse together.

It should be fun.

Brooklyn has serious talent on their roster.
If they come close to putting it together, I think they could win the Eastern Conference.
Having Levert, Dinwiddie and Harris as your 3-5 best players is a really dangerous team.
Prince, Jarrett Allen and Shamet are quality role players.
If Durant becomes a top 5 player again and if Kylie is healthy and is right mentally, they could have a special season.
Yes, there are quite a few If’s with Brooklyn.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:53 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:TJ the Nets have talent however Durant will likely take shots away from other guys. He has not played since June of 2019 so the injury impact is an unanswered question.

I believe Boston will be a better defensive team than Brooklyn and that may be the decisive factor.  Philly will have to learn how to win on the road, something they have not done well under BB.  A new system goes in under Doc so let's see if they fuse together.

It should be fun.

Brooklyn has serious talent on their roster.
If they come close to putting it together, I think they could win the Eastern Conference.
Having Levert, Dinwiddie and Harris as your 3-5 best players is a really dangerous team.
Prince, Jarrett Allen and Shamet are quality role players.
If Durant becomes a top 5 player again and if Kylie is healthy and is right mentally, they could have a special season.
Yes, there are quite a few If’s with Brooklyn.

TJ
With Durant coming back someone or 2 will see their looks decrease.  I am not questioning their talent.  I said Boston is a better defensive team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:56 am

The NBA Power Ranking have the Celtics at #8 overall and at #4 in the East.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30463586/nba-power-rankings-camp-edition-resetting-league-hectic-offseason

In the East they have:

Bucks at #1 and #2 overall
Nets at #2 and #3 overall
Heat at #3 and #5 overall
Celtics at #4 and #8 overall
Sixers at #5 and #9 overall

Rankings are a snapshot in time as wins and losses will alter these standings.

I have Boston at # 3 in the East mainly because Kemba will start the season on IR.   The only team that scares me is the Bucks.   There have been so many changes all around that rankings often reflect what happened last year and big splash acquisitions of players or losses of those same players.

Boston has gone though a lot of roster changes over the past few years.  Last year we had a total of 8 new faces on the team including our 2-way guys.  This year that number has been cut down to 4.  Brad seems to have a knack for coaching teams that have gone through a lot of changes.  Just get him a roster and he will coach them.  I think the pundits are missing something by overlooking the impact of defensive minded teams.  The Celtics will be a better defensive team this year than they were last year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:06 pm

So by first glance, other things equal, we're probably going to tread water for the 2nd season in a row? Going for 4-5 successive trips to the ECF and some parting gifts?

Probably had the best opportunity to go to the Finals this year that we are going to see for a while with all the wheels that came off in EC playoffs in the bubble. MIL will not go out in the 2nd Round again for quite a while or the ECF for at least a couple of years. Not sure about Heat. 2nd place may be giving them a bit much. Let's face it, they played way out of their brains/league in the bubble. That would optimistically move us up to 2nd. That works for me!

Remember the ShitShow in Brooklyn. Both will probably injure something else or aggravate previous injuries and probably won't even make the playoffs. Oh, please Houston, trade Harden to Brooklyn!! Make the money I'm going to spend on LP ever so worth it to add on the greatest train wreck of all time!! Currently 2 completely self-absorbed players. Adding Harden would be priceless!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:32 pm

The preseason is on full blast and I got a chance to watch several games but the one I was most interested in was the Bucks/Mavs.

The Mavs won the game 112-102 which is meaningless in any preseason matchup.

What I did find interesting may alter my prediction that the Bucks are the top team in the East.

They rolled out a starting lineup of

Giannis, Middleton, Lopez, J Holiday and DiVencenzo.  New addition (not Bobby Brown) Bobby Portis came of the bench and looked pretty damn good.

But they got some big issues.  There starting SG is a rotation guy and not a quality level starting SG.  In general they are weak at the wing position including SG.  Secondly Android #2 is no longer on the team so they are left with one legit center in Android #1, Brook Lopez.  I figure they will have to play Giannis at the 5 more and also Bobby Portis will need to man that position.  They are not as complete as I envisioned.

We start the regular season against them on the 23rd which just happens to be my Birthday.  I do not want a cake or balloons or a new tool for my box.  I want a win over the Bucks
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down