How Celtics stars helped lure Tristan Thompson to Boston

4 posters

Go down

How Celtics stars helped lure Tristan Thompson to Boston Empty How Celtics stars helped lure Tristan Thompson to Boston

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:37 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/how-celtics-stars-helped-lure-tristan-thompson-boston-free-agency

How Celtics stars helped lure Tristan Thompson to Boston

21H AGO

BY DARREN HARTWELL

Tristan Thompson felt no need to be coy Thursday.

The Celtics' new big man was asked in his introductory press conference about what drew him to Boston and offered a candid response, revealing he spoke with C's stars Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum and Kemba Walker about joining forces well before Danny Ainge signed him on Nov. 30.

"I’ve always heard the rumblings about the Celtics (being) interested in me,” Thompson told reporters. "I’ve got a good relationship with Jaylen; I’ve known Jaylen since he first got drafted. JT, we’ve talked and he reached out to me after the deadline and all this stuff about coming to join them.

“So when free agency started, Mr. Ainge called me, Brown was able to (call me) and he told me about how much he loves my game and how much I could be a great piece to this team and (the) missing piece to what they’re trying to accomplish."

Thompson also heard from Walker, whom he's known for over a decade thanks to the proximity of their high schools. (Thompson attended Saint Benedict's in Newark; Walker was at Rice in New York City.)

"The fact that Kemba reached out to me ... I’ve had relationships with all these guys," Thompson said. "It felt like I was wanted and it felt like they really wanted me to be a part of what they’re trying to accomplish. It was a pretty easy decision."

Thompson's name often popped up in Celtics trade rumors as a hard-working big man who would fill their perennial rebounding void. If the 29-year-old averages more than 10 rebounds per game -- which he did in his last two seasons with the Cleveland Cavaliers -- he'll become the first C's player to do so since Al Jefferson in 2006-07.

So, after the Celtics freed up the taxpayer midlevel exception following Gordon Hayward's exit, Thompson seemed like a logical fit on Boston's end. Fortunately for Ainge, his best players had already been laying the groundwork for the 9-year veteran to choose the C's.

Bob
MY NOTE:  This is, in my opinion, actually a big deal.  As we have seen over the past decade players want to play with their friends and where they think they have the best chance of winning a championship.  The latest iteration of that would be the Brooklyn Nets, who got Durant to sign with them because he's good friends with Kyrie.  We got Al Horford to sign with us because of his friendship with IT and Gordon came here because of his relationship with Brad.  So these social interactions have, perhaps, a disproportionate impact on a team's ability to add quality to their roster.  The ability of Kemba etal to convince a quality free agent like TT to come here is a definite positive and, if we do well this year, could be built upon next year.  Thompson isn't a superstar but he is a well-respected professional around the league.  If he sings our praises 6 months from now that can only add fuel to the fire already started by Kemba's personality and the attraction of the J's talent.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

How Celtics stars helped lure Tristan Thompson to Boston Empty Re: How Celtics stars helped lure Tristan Thompson to Boston

Post by dbrown4 Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:14 am

Wow! That is a VERY big deal. +1

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

How Celtics stars helped lure Tristan Thompson to Boston Empty Re: How Celtics stars helped lure Tristan Thompson to Boston

Post by dboss Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:01 pm

JT and JB are young guys but already you can see their influence as advocates for the Boston Celtics.  I think that is huge.  

TT and MS will be like the bruise brothers.  A lot of fans still do not realize how great defense is what makes offense better.

Last edited by dboss on Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:19 pm

I had also read that Paul Pierce lobbied Thompson to sign with Boston.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down