worcester
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
jeb
Brandon$$
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OFFICIAL: Celtics sign FA Von Wafer! - Page 2 Empty Re: OFFICIAL: Celtics sign FA Von Wafer!

Post by Sam Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:54 pm

BSH,

That's sort of been my line of thinking. A deliberate first unit, followed by the kamikaze squad. It would be a sort of a twist from the Russell teams, where the starters were up-tempo and the reserves represented an upward change-of-pace. "Defense" sometimes takes on a different meaning if you're able to run the other team ragged on offense.

It'll definitely be interesting. And, in a different way from last year, it could take a lot of patience before an acceptable system falls into place. And it could be complicated even more (in a nice way) if one or two of the youngsters should show enough ability and maturity to warrant playing time. (That could be wishful thinking, but who knows?)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

OFFICIAL: Celtics sign FA Von Wafer! - Page 2 Empty Re: OFFICIAL: Celtics sign FA Von Wafer!

Post by babyskyhook Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:01 pm

yeah Sam- I think it would be a lot of fun to watch, and could give the team a boost during the dog days when the vets aren't going all out every game.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:13 pm

we need scoring real bad. this guy can score in bunches and he will be getting good looks. Oneal can also score. If we get one more big OR Rudy we are going to be a load. Serious upgrade over last year already. imho.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:25 pm

jeb65 wrote:
we need scoring real bad. this guy can score in bunches and he will be getting good looks. Oneal can also score. If we get one more big OR Rudy we are going to be a load. Serious upgrade over last year already. imho.

What's up buddy ? How are things ?

I think you guys def need another big- someone like Shaq or Kwame who can bang with people and do the dirty work on post defense. Shaq is risky because of chemistry issues, but the payoff would be large if it worked out. Kwame is safer, but less upside- probably the smarter choice for this team.

Rudy would be a great get. Bradley's a lot to give up, but this team's window is now, and Rudy can help today.

I'm not sold on Jerm, and I think letting Tony Allen go was a mistake, but if the Cs got Kwame and Rudy, it would be a very good offseason when added to the return of Pierce, Allen, Nate and Daniels.

babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Hey Jeb- who's in your avatar ?
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 pm

sky

That is RFK in his dove period after his brother got murdered. He would go to appalchia or the inner city ghettos and see how the very poor were living. It busted him up inside and he got with MLK to organize a poor people's march...not poor blacks, poor people (very scary prospect, a united poor community)

I am doin good. Been out swinging a hammer for a week, film is slow right now. But Dawn has a sweet directing gig so I am in my kept man mode soemwhat. How are you?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Doing good buddy. real well. Will call you in the next few days at some point to catch up at length.

Have a good weekend.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Thought it was JFk but couldn't figure out the context.

I remember reading about the RFK stuff you're talking about. Well done.

Although I still prefer that shot of Worthy personally !!! Razz

Have a good one buddy.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:52 pm

And (bleep) Miami!!!
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Sky

James Worthy had the fastest first step I ever saw. Cheers. Hava good weekend.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi,
Blond german guy with monocle is great but what about black, big (6-11/7), mean dude a la Perk? Celtics do need one. Don't tell me we have "a la Turk" unless you're talking classical music. But even in that case we have Rondo. Very Happy

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:19 pm

dboss wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbQ3xwXgFzw

Appears to be a good athlete, ball handler finisher and can shoot from the perimeter. hitting the game-winning three at a game in Boston that the Rockets won 89–85

dboss

reminds me of a young Ricky Davis

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Hello, another Dave Brubeck fan!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:57 pm

I have never been impressed with Von Wafer's game.
He was drafted 5 years and has hardly played.
He has been waived by the Lakers, Clippers, Olympiakos, had 10 day contracts, etc.
He is a good athlete but plays small for a shooting guard.
Doesn't rebound at all or is not a playmaker.

Is he really Ray's backup at SG?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 pm

tj
He had some good/great moments during Rockets last playoff run with Yao,if Yao doesn't go down,who knows?He will be playing with veteran talent and get many open looks and lanes playing off them in a real system.I remember seeing him play and wondering who is this guy?He has the talent to help us,now we'll have to see if he has the head and heart to get it done the right way.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:57 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:tj
He had some good/great moments during Rockets last playoff run with Yao,if Yao doesn't go down,who knows?He will be playing with veteran talent and get many open looks and lanes playing off them in a real system.I remember seeing him play and wondering who is this guy?He has the talent to help us,now we'll have to see if he has the head and heart to get it done the right way.

In the Rockets/Lakers 08-09 playoff series, LA had a hard time defending Yao, Brooks and Landry while Battier also played well.
Wafer was their 5th-7th option on offense and often had open shots/lanes to the basket.

If Rondo and Nate will be playing the 48 minutes at PG and 6'3" Bradley will be playing back up SG, why sign another small SG?
Boston needed length and athleticism this off season and hasn't done much to address those areas.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 am

Doc never trusts rookies, that's why.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 am

tjmakz wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:tj

In the Rockets/Lakers 08-09 playoff series, LA had a hard time defending Yao, Brooks and Landry while Battier also played well.
Wafer was their 5th-7th option on offense and often had open shots/lanes to the basket.

If Rondo and Nate will be playing the 48 minutes at PG and 6'3" Bradley will be playing back up SG, why sign another small SG?
Boston needed length and athleticism this off season and hasn't done much to address those areas.

Wafer is 6'5" and can run is plenty athletic,we still have Quis who can't have as injury prone a season as last year,I hope.Harangody I think can also play the 3,he doesn't look any slower than Larry Bird,ran the floor really well in SL.....only question is BIGS,if Sheed stays plus we got JO and Sermih,if Sheed leaves hopefully we can get Shaq,if we don't get Shaq and Sheed stays then we have addressed our length issue,we definitely have better options at 2 after Ray with Wafer,Quis and Bradley than last year,Wafer and Quis can also due spot duty at 3.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:44 am

I like BSH idea of split personality with a run and gun bench. Why does it have to be defense all the time? Besides, most of last season for the Celtics was riddled with long defensive lapses (except the playoffs). That would definitely throw the opposition into a tail spin if we had a both extremes (lock down D and NellieBall Offense and everything in between, as long as the bench outscores consistently while they're on the floor.

It would be the equivalent of Dean Smith's "Blue Team" @ UNC, five fresh guys just mopping the floor, running til the opposition cries Uncle, or taps out in today's venacular.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 am

Defense and a running game aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, you've got to play good defense and rebound to run. It's a lot easier to fast break off of steals and outlet passes than inbounding the ball after an opponent's made basket.

But I do agree that bench scoring is potentially a big improvement with this year's team. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:00 am

True, Outside. Defense leads to offense, running and layups. I guess I was thinking more NellieBall/Helter Skelter Ball where the goal is to shoot with more than 20 seconds on the shot clock. But you're right, it will be interesting. Time to order League Pass!!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:12 am

You guys are going to have to stop talking about defense and volume basketball. I'm hyperventilating.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2