Post Game Thread - vs Grizzlies, Home, 12/30/20

+2
Shamrock1000
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Grizzlies, Home, 12/30/20 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Grizzlies, Home, 12/30/20

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:27 am

Without Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson this had to be a rout to be considered anything less than a success.  Fortunately, our Celtics did not disappoint.

What a display by Jaylen Brown!  Wow.  A career high 42 points on blistering 15-21.  He was 7-10 from 3.  5 rebounds 4 assists (and 4 turnovers, but the ball touched his hands a lot).  He was making 3s look soooo easy.  And he did it all in just 29 minutes.  He is now averaging 28ppg and 56.3% from the field.  He's also now at 44.4% from 3.  Just goes to show how one monster game, or one awful game, can really change the numbers this early in the season.  His ft% is "up" to 67.7%, still pretty stinky and below last year's ft%, but he's taking 6.2 ftas/game and that is WAY up.  That's the path to the All-Star game, through the frito line.  Almost any All-Star you can name got a lot of their points at the line.  In fact, this phenomena even has a name, they're called "Superstar calls" and All-Stars, especially perennial All-Stars, get them and others don't.  Could this be the year Jaylen starts getting the respect and whistles of the refs?  So far so good.  

John Karalis @RedsArmy_John
yesterday
Jaylen Brown thought his night was over, then his teammates told him he was at a career-high "I gave Brad a little wink and said, 'Can I get two more minutes?' He let me go back out there."

Good thinking, Brad.

Jaylen's assists and assists-to-turnover ratio has jumped too.  3.4apg and 1.8TOpg, 1.8:1.  Last year he was 2.1apg and 2.2TOpg, a negative ratio.

Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
Daniel Theis: “Since I’ve been here I’ve seen Jaylen grow every year.” Said probably Jaylen’s biggest growth has been making plays for teammates. Pointed out that even after Jaylen had around 40, he drove then kicked it out to an open teammate for a 3.

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Jaylen Brown says Brad Stevens allowed him to come back into the game and get his career high. "Just trying to handle everything responsibly."

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
yesterday
Jaylen Brown: "We still got a lot of work ahead of us. Still gotta get better. We're looking forward to this road trip to get some W's and to grow and learn. Like I said, we got a young group and we still got a lot ahead of us, me included."

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Brad Stevens on Jaylen Brown: "He's worked hard to improve. He has a lot on his plate and he wants a lot on his plate."

I've said this numerous times over the past 4 years, I've loved Jaylen Brown since the first interview I heard him give on his draft night.  His maturity as a young man came through even as a 19 year old.  But even I didn't think he'd become the monster player we're seeing him turn into right before our very eyes now.  I think Cowens did, maybe even he needed a season to see it too, but anybody else?

Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
Jayson Tatum on Jaylen Brown: “It’s amazing. I’m super happy for him. Big night. He was on fire.”

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
yesterday
Tatum on Jaylen Brown: "I think he's become a better shooter each and every year. His confidence continues to grow. He's going to continue to get better."

I absolutely LOVE how the two Js are such good friends.  There is friendly competition, as there should be, but zero jealousy.  Trade him, especially for Harden, and we damn well better win #18, Danny, and I don't mean "someday".  If Tatum is the next Kobe, or Pierce, Jaylen's the next Kawhi.

Everybody else had a good game although, with Jaylen taking 21 out of 91 fgas (23%) there wasn't that much sugar left to pass around to everybody else.  You could see they were trying to feed him, and why not? He was en fuego as Tatum said.

I hope Jeff Teague doesn't have to start to have games like this, because Kemba will be back eventually.  He didn't score much, 4 points, but he had 4 assists and only 1 turnover and that's what we need from him with ballhandler Gordon Hayward gone.  We need another floor general and Teague did well in that role last night, but who had him down on their betting form for 4 steals?  I did not see that coming.

EVERY Celtic scored.  That's nice.  You could see they were trying too.  This is a happy group, win or lose.  They feel like they're a cohesive gang and are pulling for each other.  A team.

Pritchard is a remarkably poised rookie.  5 games in and he was making some very crafty veteran moves out there.  Getting guys on his back, change of pace, not freaking out when he picked up his dribble in the paint and throwing it away.  The game has already slowed down for Payton Pritchard.  Does anybody still think Danny "reached" when he took PP at #26?  Picking this kid at #26 was a winner.  Could Danny have traded the #26 and taken him with #30, saving money and gaining more on the better trade asset?  Sure, but now we're just splitting hairs.  #26, #30, not that much difference and we got ourselves a legit back up point guard, for sure.  Give him a couple of years to settle in, grow and then we'll really see.  In 2 years he'll be in his 3rd year, say, and Kemba will be 32/33 and in the last year of his contract.

As opposed to the #14 lottery pick Aaron Nesmith.  I saw last night why he's not getting minutes.  I am beginning to question his BB IQ.  He hustles, he plays hard and, I'll give him credit for this, he's not afraid to stick his nose in for rebounds and such, but he's lost out there.  Where Pritchard has taken to this like a duck to water Nesmith is looking more and more like Romeo was in his rookie year.  If you remember, Romeo missed summer league and some of preseason and that really set his development back (which is to be expected, those opportunities to learn are extremely important for rookies).  There was one sequence in garbage time where Nesmith hustled along the baseline and kept a stray ball in bounds and got it to Edwards, who was along the sideline below the break.  Nesmith then came back in bounds and stood in the corner.  Nesmith and Edwards, both within 8-10' of each other.  Edwards, the guy who has bench splinters so far up his ass he could pick his teeth with them, waved the lottery pick out of the zone to help create space for Edwards.

John Karalis @RedsArmy_John
yesterday
I've seen Aaron Nesmith have to get directed to a spot twice now as the Celtics set up their offense

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
yesterday
It's crazy that Payton Pritchard has reached status where he's sitting with the veterans hoping Aaron Nesmith gets buckets. #Celtics

The Time Lord looked good.  He set nice screens, in particular, and freed up shooters.  With Thompson out he got 23 minutes and he had 10 rebounds and 6 points in that time.  He also had 4 blocks.  Talent he's got, by the bucketful, he needs consistency.  He needs to do this regularly.

Great games by Edwards and Waters.  Not that it matters, they are so far down the bench they're barely on it, but nice games by them.  Edwards, for one, didn't look like an eyesore like he usually does.  Waters was the pesky little waterbug that he is.  I don't know about Edwards but I think someone will eventually give Tremont Waters a fair chance.

Tacko looked lost out there.  He was slow, he wasn't rolling to the front of the rim like he should be doing every single time.  A player who picked up basketball late in life and, therefore, has limited burned-in instincts  and who really, really needed the year of G-league.

11 blocks for us.  11.  

27 assists on 49 fgm is nice too.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267216

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Grizzlies, Home, 12/30/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Grizzlies, Home, 12/30/20

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:03 am

Jaylen is turning into an excellent player. I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier, but in addition to being a great talent, Jaylen has everything it takes to be a great leader. He is obviously intelligent, but he is also wise beyond his years. He understands how to handle the press - treats everyone with dignity. And how to handle his peers - think of how maturely he handled Kyrie's digs about "the young guys". Bob has been pointing out the one thing blocking his path to superstardom - free throw shooting. Unless you are Shaq or Wilt, an inability to hit fritos will limit your impact on games, especially big games, and thus your ceiling. As wise as Brown is, I am sure he understands and will put in the work - fingers crossed that the work translates into improved percentages.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Grizzlies, Home, 12/30/20 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Grizzlies, Home, 12/30/20

Post by dbrown4 Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:21 am

11 blocks sans TT as well. TL/RWIII was busy with 4 but a stat they don't keep up with and we should is how many shots does he alter. I'm going to guess last night it was close to double digits. That dude can leap. If Tacko would just leap 2 inches off the floor, he would have the same results.

The best moment was the time they flashed to the bench when Edwards was dropping 3's. Everyone was clapping and cheering for him, falling out of their seats, etc. shenanigans. He was hustling and looking like he may repeat his year ago preseason game of 8 in a row or whatever it was. It was ridiculous. I wasn't paying attention as to when he came into the game but it was at or near garbage time. I think he was out there with the big boy team for a short stint at least. But playing against a depleted Memphis team's bench is like G-League. But hopefully this is a boost CE will build upon.

Really want CE to succeed. This was his first regular season game playing wasn't it? But it looks like everyone is stepping up and big time all around. Time Lord, PP and JeT to a certain extent leading the way in the 2nd tier. For JeT he was very busy last night. Not many points but doing a little assisting, stealing, rebounding, not turning the ball over, reeking havoc forcing turns in general. Definitely a utility man for sure. The little things.

Finally a game we could watch and enjoy! It would be nice to sweep Detroit Friday and Sunday, but as soon as I say it, I can't say that will happen with confidence.

I like JaT tag for PP...8 Mile. That's hilarious!! You know the team is having fun when little things like this happen between to top dogs and the wannabe top dogs. Good-natured ribbing.

I feel this team has the same or better good vibe last year's team had one more season removed from you-know-who. Such a relief. Danny, please don not train wreck this with the other you-know-who. And correct, if that move was made, #18 has to go up this season or you and Brad would be shown the door. So save yourself that pressure and keep what you got. We can wait one more year and still have more shots at it after next season because the core will still be intact.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:21 am

As much as I loved Jaylen having a breakout game, I was equally happy with RWill’s game too, then when I looked at the boxscore he had less points than I thought, but more rebounds. His game is our X factor and with his efficiency and growth/impact down low, we can really make strides this year. Please keep him around Danny, only 22, with a lot more growth in his game coming.

Jaylen Jaylen Jaylen, what a show, could have went for 60!!!

Developing a Kobe/MJ like midrange game. Great job putting the work in and the coaches that keep helping him add to his game!!! He did that on 2nd game of back to back, what a young stud. We could have 2 wings in the all NBA top 10 this year.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:04 pm

The story of this game is clearly the career night that Jaylen Brown put in the record book.  He could have put up a 50 if he played another 5 minutes.  

We often talk about upside when it comes to young players.  Where is their ceiling?  

Jaylen has worked hard to get to where he is now but can be much much better.  If someone asked me what is the most significant improvement in his game, I would have to say ball handling.  I have mentioned it many times that he could get to where ever he wants to go, if he can become proficient with the ball in his hands.  It is interesting because we have discussed his potential utilization in a more creative role up top.  So far so good.  He can easily be a 25 PPG player for us.  

This was a solid win for the team as everyone contributed.

The two young guys on this team that are playing very well and are becoming very solid rotation guys are Peyton Pritchard and Robert Williams.

By now most everyone has come to the realization that PP is the real deal and he can help us now.  If he had to step in tomorrow and start at PG I have no doubts that he could do that.  

Last night RWIII played 23 minutes, well above what he normally gets and he is just flat out efficient.  He grabbed 10 rebounds (4 offensive) went 3-4 from the field and had 4 block shots.  His value extends beyond those type of metrics.  He is becoming an excellent screener and an instinctive passer.  His decision making is amazingly quick.  This kid scores pretty much every time he gets an opportunity.  I would like to see him get at least 7 or 8 attempts per game.  I think that him and PP can give us a dynamic pairing off the bench that can play fast and with a lot of energy.

Our other rookie Aaron Nesmith got a opportunity to play thanks to an early blowout which opened up minutes for the entire bench.  He is struggling shooting and he has not fully adjusted to the speed of the game yet.  For the year he is 3-9 from the field (2-7) from deep.  Last night he had 3 rebounds plus 1 assist and 1 block.  He scored a career high 5 points. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy   He has a lot of work to do and a lot to learn at both ends of the court.  

Games will be coming fast and furious.  With Boston now playing above .500 the upcoming road trip is of vital importance because it will tell us how good our defense is or is not.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:23 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:As much as I loved Jaylen having a breakout game, I was equally happy with RWill’s game too, then when I looked at the boxscore he had less points than I thought, but more rebounds. His game is our X factor and with his efficiency and growth/impact down low, we can really make strides this year. Please keep him around Danny, only 22, with a lot more growth in his game coming.

Developing a Kobe/MJ like midrange game. Great job putting the work in and the coaches that keep helping him add to his game!!! He did that on 2nd game of back to back, what a young stud. We could have 2 wings in the all NBA top 10 this year.

Rob is 23 and has tremendous upside. It is right there. you can see it.

It is early in the season but Jaylen Brown is 4th in PPG (28) among all shooting guards (Harden, Beal and McCollum) I would add that he defense is far superior to any of those players.

Jayson Tatum is ranked 3rd in scoring among PF. It is interesting that Kevin Durant is listed as a SF.

JT plays both SF and PF.

I think the J's can be in the top 10-15 NBA players in scoring. Don't laugh. With no Kemba and no GH the J's will be shooting the lights out. After 4 games Jaylen Brown is 7th in the NBA in scoring.

Our young studs are no longer just 20 PPG guys. On a regular basis I think we will be getting 50 PPG combined from them.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:06 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:As much as I loved Jaylen having a breakout game, I was equally happy with RWill’s game too, then when I looked at the boxscore he had less points than I thought, but more rebounds. His game is our X factor and with his efficiency and growth/impact down low, we can really make strides this year. Please keep him around Danny, only 22, with a lot more growth in his game coming.

Rob is 23 and has tremendous upside.  It is right there.  you can see it.

It is early in the season but Jaylen Brown is 4th in PPG (28) among all shooting guards  (Harden, Beal and McCollum)  I would add that he defense is far superior to any of those players.

Jayson Tatum is ranked 3rd in scoring among PF.  It is interesting that Kevin Durant is listed as a SF.

JT plays both SF and PF.

I think the J's can be in the top 10-15 NBA players in scoring.  Don't laugh.  With no Kemba and no GH the J's will be shooting the lights out.  After 4 games Jaylen Brown is 7th in the NBA in scoring.  

Our young studs are no longer just  20 PPG guys.  On a regular basis I think we will be getting 50 PPG combined from them.

Totally agree and what is frightening is there is still much more growth that still will be coming from Jaylen, as we are seeing it and the league is feeling it. His handle is light years better than even 2 years ago and we can debate what are his other better improvements. We all followed the great Paul Pierce, I remember seeing a game and the commentator, I can’t remember who, was saying that Pierce as a HS player would sneak into these scrimmages with pros in LA and even as a HS kid he could get off that mid range foul line jumper. Well Pierce as much as I loved him could never get that shot off as good as MJ or Kobe, well Jaylen can do that shot closer to their level and beyond Pierce. I’m feeling real confident he’s going to be a future 20,000 point scorer.

He’s absolutely showing when he gets in that zone, look out, he can reach new heights. He’s actually a better defender than the great Kobe, who Pierce used to regularly torch. I always thought Kobe’s defense was a little overrated. I don’t remember Kobe ever shutting down all star caliber PF’s, like the way Jaylen shutdown Siakim, he’s obviously an impact multi position defender.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:13 pm

I don't know why people are surprised that a guy who played 4 years of college with the ball in his hands is farther along than a guy who played 2, often off the ball, and was a designated shooter. Pritchard deserves all the credit he is getting , but the shots at Nesmith are ludicrous. I think time will tell that we got two rookies who can play , and the Israeli kid may be a player , as well. He is only 19.I love both Js , and am still not convinced that Brown isn't Tatum's equal
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down