Pre-Game Dubs Empty Pre-Game Dubs

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:02 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pre-Game Dubs Empty Re: Pre-Game Dubs

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:39 am

A couple of things immediately come to mind. Steve Kerr is a big time winner. 8 total titles and player (5) and coach (3). He's on a very short list. This game is going to be a very tough out for us, epsecially if we bring some of our same antics from previous games to the table.

West Coast Trips for Boston. This brings back some memories for sure. Back when I was in college in the 80's, there was a fraternity brother who also loved the Celtics as much as I did. We'd watch games at the frat house on national TV with our completely uninterested girlfriends at the time.

dboss, I do remember in the early and mid-80's, the Celtics and Lakers only played each other only twice. I believe I remember in '84, the Celtics won both games. In '85 and/or '87, I believe the Lakers won both. I haven't checked but I remember putting emphasis on those games as harbingers of things to come in the playoffs.

Back in the 80's there was no LP. The only way to really know who won games in the NBA was your local newspaper. NBA West Coast games were "dubbed" (pun intended) "Late" Games because come press deadlines, the game was not complete to report the final score. So you actually had to way until the second morning after a west coast game to get the final score and box score. Students could subscribe to, in that case, The Charlotte Observer, delivered to their dorm room doors. Cable wasn't readily available except at public view TV's on campus. I was either a subscriber or a "borrower"! So the morning after a West Coast game you would see the entry in the "Scores" NBA section but next to the Celtics vs. (whoever) you would see only the disappointing word "Late".

Well, enough tripping down memory lane. The Celtics seriously need to avoid tripping over these next 5 road games.

No Marcus Smart to bail us out. Sounds like it's Next Man Up. Biggest issue is will PP be back starting tonight? Anyone with an official inside track on that?

We're coming in on yet another losing streak of 0-2 and a somewhat heartbreaking loss to the Lakers. (i.e. we should have never been in that position coming out of the 3rd)

Once again, we wait to see what Brad is thinking now for a starting line up with MS out for a couple weeks, especially if PP is available.

We started off 8-3, something we never thought was even imaginable but have since gone 2-5. Our list of games we should have won is getting longer and that's not a good sign but it is all learned and all mental. Just how really bad teams learn how not to consistently get behind by more than 20 points having to dig themselves out all the time or consistently blow their own 20+ point leads heading to defeat, that's our learning hurdle currently.

We're at a very different stage. We're in just about all of our games to the last shot. In this area, that is very "Carolina" like. We put ourselves in a position to win every game. That is very significant growth and a huge mental hurdle.

After that, there is the next level...steamrolling everyone. Not only are you in every game, you are very likely to win games by a sizable margin. The Lakers, are at that stage barring the last couple of games. They think and act like they can win every game.

We're not there yet but we're knocking on heaven's door. And as everyone has pointed out, it's a combination of player development and/or moves by management that are going to get us to the next and final stage. The tweaking stage.

But that is a very delicate accomplishment and you won't know whether you made the right choices months or even years ago until it's too late. Like with golf, there are 4 possible shots IMHBAO. Drive, approach, scramble (trap, hazard, etc.) and putt.

I believe everyone of us will agree we are probably past the Drive part and maybe even approach, but our scramble is injuries, questionable coaching, sloppy play inappropriate times and mental blocks. Putting is an entirely different shot and stroke.

I think that is where we are, somewhere mired in between the last two - scramble and putt.

GSW with Steve Kerr as their coach after taking last season off are ready to win and at our expense. We are in need somewhat desperate need of a win for sure to get this road trip off on the right foot.

Most of us predicted 10-10 after 20 games. Thought we had outsmarted ourselves at 8-3 and now staring reality in the face that we might have actually known what we were regrettingly predicting.

How do we bring home the win tonight and put ourselves in a position to win these close games instead of adding to our list?
db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:28 am

dbrown,

The earliest PP was expected back was Wednesday, so I wouldn't expect to see him tonight.  He is traveling with the team (Smart is not), he worked a bit yesterday, but nothing 'live'.  No game play or scrimmaging, probably not even skeletons.  Maybe some light shooting.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 8 hours ago
Your 'didn't see that coming' NBA stat of the day... Through the first quarter of the season, only three teams rank in the top 10 in both offense and defense. The Lakers, the Jazz... ...and the Celtics.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Now if we just rediscover our defense from last year...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:23 am

Interesting from Mr. Grande, BobH.  Never would have thought it with a 10-8 record to show for it.  We must be 9th and/or 10th in each!  We definitely didn't get the same slice of pie Jazz and Lakers got.

So I pose the same question from previous pre-game.  Who's starting?

db

P.S. I wouldn't mind Steve Kerr as a Celtic coach at all. Kind of like getting K.C. Jones in the early 80's.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:22 am

dbrown4 wrote:Interesting from Mr. Grande, BobH.  Never would have thought it with a 10-8 record to show for it.  We must be 9th and/or 10th in each!  We definitely didn't get the same slice of pie Jazz and Lakers got.

So I pose the same question from previous pre-game.  Who's starting?

db

P.S.  I wouldn't mind Steve Kerr as a Celtic coach at all.  Kind of like getting K.C. Jones in the early 80's.  

Out of the different websites for team defensive rankings, the best one listed for the Celtics is being tied for 10th/11th/12th on nba.com.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:26 am

Steven’s stumbles into things, he could have got more out of Jaylen last few years, now he’s pulling same crap with RWill. He also buried Theis on the bench 2 years ago when I was clamoring for more defense, which Theis does well. I don’t know what is taking him so long to go with Kemba Jaylen Jayson Theis RWill.....try being ahead of the curve, even analytics prove who our best option is at 5. I know we’ve just dealt with covid and now a slew of injuries, but Brad is still holding this team back IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:39 am

Time for Nesmith to get some extended minutes, with no PP and Smart, we may have to have J’s bringing the ball up which they can handle, leaving some more wing minutes for Nesmith and Javonte. In limited minutes Nesmith puts a lot of effort into defense, which is good to see, he can cover 1-3 adequately.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:02 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Time for Nesmith to get some extended minutes, with no PP and Smart, we may have to have J’s bringing the ball up which they can handle, leaving some more wing minutes for Nesmith and Javonte. In limited minutes Nesmith puts a lot of effort into defense, which is good to see, he can cover 1-3 adequately.

Cow,

Now would be an excellent opportunity for Romeo, if he was only able to get and stay healthy.  He's a defense-first player, a good replacement for Smart.  He can't run an offense like Smart, that's a different skillset altogether, but he can defend well.  Instead I think we'll be seeing Javonte getting a lot of minutes.  He's got the size, the strength, the experience to defend.  Nesmith might get spot minutes to help out Javonte and maybe let the Js grab a few extra minutes on the bench.  It's going to be a long trip, 5 games in 7 days.  If Brad plays the Js high-30s minutes every game there won't be anything left of them when they get into the high, thin air of Salt Lake City (4226' above sea level).

I'm interested to see who Brad puts on Curry.  At 6'3" he's not as short as some think.  In fact, that makes him as tall as Smart.  Nesmith has height and length but, man, that'd be a tough assignment for the kid. You cannot give Curry even the slightest glimpse of the rim and I'm not convinced Nesmith has the athleticism to stay with Curry.  Waters?  He'll stay in front of Curry but he won't be able to contest shots (and Curry hits shots with defenders draped all over him anyway).  But, then, who guards Kelly Oubre and Brad Wanamaker?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
about 2 hours ago
The Celtics are 9th in the NBA with a net rating of 2.7, but their fourth quarter net rating is -10.7, which currently is ranked 28th. Their first-half net rating of 10.0 is 4th-best in the NBA, while their second-half rating of -4.4 is 26th.

Bob
MY NOTE: Champions play the full 48.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Time for Nesmith to get some extended minutes, with no PP and Smart, we may have to have J’s bringing the ball up which they can handle, leaving some more wing minutes for Nesmith and Javonte. In limited minutes Nesmith puts a lot of effort into defense, which is good to see, he can cover 1-3 adequately.

Cow,

Now would be an excellent opportunity for Romeo, if he was only able to get and stay healthy.  He's a defense-first player, a good replacement for Smart.  He can't run an offense like Smart, that's a different skillset altogether, but he can defend well.  Instead I think we'll be seeing Javonte getting a lot of minutes.  He's got the size, the strength, the experience to defend.  Nesmith might get spot minutes to help out Javonte and maybe let the Js grab a few extra minutes on the bench.  It's going to be a long trip, 5 games in 7 days.  If Brad plays the Js high-30s minutes every game there won't be anything left of them when they get into the high, thin air of Salt Lake City (4226' above sea level).

I'm interested to see who Brad puts on Curry.  At 6'3" he's not as short as some think.  In fact, that makes him as tall as Smart.  Nesmith has height and length but, man, that'd be a tough assignment for the kid.  You cannot give Curry even the slightest glimpse of the rim and I'm not convinced Nesmith has the athleticism to stay with Curry.  Waters?  He'll stay in front of Curry but he won't be able to contest shots (and Curry hits shots with defenders draped all over him anyway).  But, then, who guards Kelly Oubre and Brad Wanamaker?

Bob

Bob agreed, notice I used the word adequate, my biggest fears when we took him was an Adam Morrison type. I have been pleased with his hustle, with continued work his defense can get better, 6’6” with long arms helps. Well like I’ve said a few times, I’m in it for the long haul, agreed now is not the time to push J’s into plus 40 minutes, I hated seeing Bird do that and it ruined Kobe at the end. Lakers very smart in limiting Lebron’s minutes, if need be even increase the J’s fga’s, but still keep them right at 36-38 minutes as they are even still young and developing and we don’t need any more injuries due to over usage.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:20 pm

Who was that that said "That's not Championship Play" on this site? Was it you? That needs to be our answer to everything until things change.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Robert Debs Heinl

That works too!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:08 pm

I wonder if he will take a stab at starting Javonte Green tonight. He seems to be a logical selection Nesmith has shown some promise but I think he needs more time. But, then again, I have been wrong before!!!! I just hope it is not Waters, I am losing faith in him lately. His ball handling is good, but sometimes it is like the shoot out at the OK Coral with him. He bombs away at times and I just shake my head wondering if he really is a NBA ready player.

For just a one month stretch I would love for this team to be whole, without waiting for someone to get back from the IR list
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:02 pm

db

I really appreciate these pregame threads.

My first thoughts are about the starting lineup.

It is time for Brad to switch things up a bit.  I would pair Theis and Williams and bring TT off the bench.  The Warriors rookie Wiseman is long and athletic so that would be a good challenge for Rob.  KW and the J's should round out the starting lineup.  We are now thin at PG with both MS and PP out.  KW is likely to play extended minutes at the 30+ level and we are going to see disappointing Jeff Teague in there as our primary BU at PG.   Brad may also give CE a few minutes or even Tremont.  Semi and Gwill will play and the kid Nesmith and Javonte will get some court time.  The J's will each run some offense.

The Warriors are giving up more points than they are scoring.  Of note has been the underwhelming play of Draymond Green.  He had always been the glue on this team that held their defense together.  His game is now in free fall while averaging only 4.8 PPP and 4.6 assists.

Curry has been playing great.  Former future HOFer, Wiggins,  Suspect  has found a home and is playing well but this is now year 7 and the lofty expectations have not been met.

I am going to like the matchups.  I would put Jaylen on Wiggins and Jayson on Oubre.

The Celtics have to close games out better.  I still see that as a  big coaching problem.  Brad seems more prone to micromanage minutes with indifference to reality.   Just about every game he has Brown or Tatum (mostly Brown) on the bench for too many minutes in the 4th QTR.   The reality is so easy to understand.  Brown and Tatum are young studs who are young enough to play extended minutes game after game.  They are both in excellent physical condition.  They both have tremendous energy and tenacity.  Neither requires a 5 minute+ blow to catch their wind.  

Even when GS was at the top of the mountain, the Celtics have been able to take them down.  I see no reason why that can't happen tonight.  

One more comment.  Kemba Walker needs to play much better.  That means he needs to put the ball in the hole.  He certainly does not have to lead us in scoring but his opponent is going to score a lot of points and shoot at a high percentage.  If Curry lights him up tonight and Kemba is not able to respond, it will be a bad sign.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:55 pm

I think we will see a much improved Kemba tonight. When he confesses like he does, his response you can count on and take to the bank.

dboss, you know I'm in the wrong career. I should have been on 5th Avenue in Advertising and coming up with ideas for commercials or something. The idea guy! When this thought came to my head, I couldn't believe none of us had thought of it 10 years ago!

You are welcome and thank you for your participation and insight as always!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Dbrown the pregame thread was a great idea!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:11 pm

An interview with The Time Lord.  Sounds like Brad is starting to trust him to be consistent.

https://www.facebook.com/8725012666/posts/10158981370782667/

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:37 am

We've always had the post game thread for years! The response to the pre-game has been well received! I'm just sorry I didn't think of it sooner.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down