Boston Sport's Coverage

5 posters

Go down

Boston Sport's Coverage Empty Boston Sport's Coverage

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Howdy,
Just curious how people view and react to Boston sport's coverage. I remember as a youth, living in NH, Boston had what seemed to be the best sport's casters and anchor people that one could imagine. Now it appears to be quite different. No worries Mike Gorman and Tommy Gun. love you guys. Tommy still has more and better bb knowledge than any two or three other commentators. But Tanguay, Felger, and the whole crews at NESN and Comcast seem to leave a lot to be desired. It's clear that most of them aren't even Boston area fans. So who do you pholks like? Not? Different, better or worse, than years ago? Remember when it was too obvious that Curt Gowdy was havin a 'gansett? lol We have to get through the next 3 weeks somehow. LOL
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Boston Sport's Coverage Empty Re: Boston Sport's Coverage

Post by Sam Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi there, Mulcogi,

I think the Boston announcers are the best around. I mean the on-air game announcers—the only broadcast journalists who count in my book. Mike and Tommy speak for themselves (literally). Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy make an excellent baseball broadcasting team. (Imagine a color commentator being so involved with the nuances of baseball that he wrote a book called, "Watching Baseball: Discovering the Game within the game." Dave Goucher is relatively new on the Bruins' scene, but he really paid his dues as the Providence Bruins announcer, and I think he's quite good. Gil Santos is about to start his 155th year announcing Patriots games. I liked Gino Cappelletti a lot as a player, but as a color guy, he sounds like a player.

As for print journalists, I still prefer Bob Ryan and Dan Shaughnessy over most of what's out there. They have to come up with something new every day without falling back on game descriptions. That is not an easy chore, and they come up with far more hits than misses. My clear favorite, though, is Jackie MacMullen. She always seems spot on.

As for news sportscasters, forget about them as a genre. They're basically video jockeys. I can't recall the last time one of them expressed an opinion other than what a nice outfit the weather girl is wearing.

And most of the sports talk show personalities are just trying to set new records for creating controversy and fanning flames. I guess retired football jocks must be the least able to get good jobs after their careers because the talk shows are full of them. They sound surprisingly like the most naive of fans whenever they're forced to discuss any sport but football; and, even when discussing football, they spew more testosterone than insight.

It's easy for someone like me to criticize, but the fact is that today's media people are under intense pressure to entertain; and those who break through with at least a modicum of pithy commentary deserve a lot of credit. (i might nominate Michael Holley as a good example of someone who is pretty consistently entertaining without abandoning the more substantive side of sports.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:42 am

Can't stand Felger!

Mr Negativity. His glass is always empty about every Boston team and every uncertainty. He is the anti-Boston sports fan.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Felger really is obnoxious but probably gets good ratings so that people can yell at their television sets. For me the men are all terrible. Tried to watch with objectivity the new "Quick Slants" football show. The only good thing I can say is that it seems that Tom E. Curran is going to finally drop the E. LOL I have been wondering if Celtics insider came in the Rasheed deal and now he's retired can we get rid of this clown? lol Who do you have to bribe to get Tanguay in hollywood doing voiceovers? and if that fat guy says one more negative thing about futbol...LOL
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:41 pm

Here is a you tube clip of an anouncer doing a red sox game on the road (was in Toyko). Marcus found it. The guy doing the announcing has NO idea of what is going on...it is called AND THAT HAPPENED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrrx5CgdZaA

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Curt Gowdy and Johhny Most in one town at the same time. Were we blessed!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down