cowens/oldschool
NYCelt
dboss
Ktron
gyso
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NBA executive: Players didn't trust Danny Ainge Empty NBA executive: Players didn't trust Danny Ainge

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 am

NBA executive: Players didn't trust Danny Ainge

WEEI By Alex Reimer

We may now have greater insight into why Danny Ainge departed from the Celtics.

Players didn’t trust him.

Buried inside Bleacher Report’s story about Kemba Walker’s desire to leave Boston is an anecdote about how players viewed Ainge, who served as Celtics general manager for 18 years. Walker was blindsided when the Celtics tried to shop him last offseason, reports Farbod Esnaashari, causing the point guard’s relationship with Ainge to sour.

“One executive in the NBA said Walker isn't the only player to have those negative feelings toward Ainge, as players around the league have not trusted Celtics management during the Ainge era,” Esnaashari writes.

Memorably, Anthony Davis’ father called out Ainge two years ago for trading Isaiah Thomas after his hip surgery. Perhaps Mr. Davis was speaking for more people than himself.

Ainge gained the reputation as a wheeler-and-dealer, largely thanks to the championship-winning coup of acquiring Kevin Garnett. Acquiring Kyrie Irving for Thomas cemented Ainge’s unpredictable image.

Still, the perception around Ainge often superseded the reality. The Celtics didn’t make a deadline deal for five years.

But facts and nuance seldom get in the way of a good rumor. One week later, there still seems like there’s more to story about Ainge’s exit.

He says he wants to step down and spend more time with his family, bcuriously, left his future plans vague. Ainge didn’t deny he would be interested in working in an NBA front office again.

It’s apparent the Celtics’ players didn’t feel a kinship with the organization, given none of them pushed back against Kyrie Irving. After Game 5, it was all love.

Marcus Smart, meanwhile, is the only member of the Celtics who publicly showed love to Ainge on his way out the door.

Brad Stevens may not only have to try and reshape the roster. The organization’s reputation may need an overhaul, too.

Back to top Go down

NBA executive: Players didn't trust Danny Ainge Empty Re: NBA executive: Players didn't trust Danny Ainge

Post by gyso Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:31 am

Buried inside Bleacher Report’s story about Kemba Walker’s desire to leave Boston is an anecdote . . .

Since it's been determined that the BR story was BS, my guess is that this is more of the same.

Bleacher Report?  That organization’s reputation definitely needs an overhaul.  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

NBA executive: Players didn't trust Danny Ainge Empty Re: NBA executive: Players didn't trust Danny Ainge

Post by Ktron Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:00 pm

gyso wrote:Buried inside Bleacher Report’s story about Kemba Walker’s desire to leave Boston is an anecdote . . .

Since it's been determined that the BR story was BS, my guess is that this is more of the same.

Bleacher Report?  That organization’s reputation definitely needs an overhaul.  Rolling Eyes

Everything you don’t agree with is BS.
Whether you agree or like it or not there is a perception among a number of players that Danny can’t be trusted.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:30 pm

Not exactly, just most things from BR. If you'd been here longer and paid attention you'd see the pattern.

. . . perception among a number of players . . .? You personally know this how? Otherwise it's just another media member's (or blogger's) opinion.

GIGO.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:09 pm

ktron and gyso

I see two sides to this.

Firstly BR has floated so-called source driven narratives about a lot of things but then you see other media outlets pick up that story and also run with it.

With regards to the Kemba Walker situation I find it interesting that the local media in Boston never seems to ask the right questions.  Sometimes you have to read between the lines because all the so-called sources are never revealed.  

This I do know because it came out of the horses mouth (DA)  Earlier in the season when he told the world that the Celtics were not good enough he also praised the J'y as established core players but he never said kemba was part of that group.  He was quite uncertain about Kemba because of his knee issue and said something to the effect that we'll have to wait and see.

Before the start of the season a report was floating around that Danny tried to trade Kemba for Jrue Holiday.  I do not know if that report was true but I also never heard any interviews with Danny where he was asked about it.

The plausibility that it may have happened ties directly into what happened with IT.  If you have not seen the interview with him that I posted I would suggest that you do because it does paint a less than becoming portrait of Danny Ainge and the Celtics organization.

I think it is naive to not understand that the perception of the Celtics outside of Celtics nation is not as positive as it needs to be or has been in the past.  There is a reason why the Celtics have lost 3 Allstar players in the past two year and the truly elite players do not want to come and play for the Celtics.

The Celtics want to move on from Kemba if they can make a deal that is acceptable.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 pm

gyso wrote:Not exactly, just most things from BR.  If you'd been here longer and paid attention you'd see the pattern.

. . . perception among a number of players . . .?  You personally know this how?  Otherwise it's just another media member's (or blogger's) opinion.

GIGO.

I can only go by the sample size I’ve been served up and it’s not just BR you appear to have issues with. It seems anything Non celtscentrix you have issues with = anything you perceive as negative or don’t happen to agree with.
I don’t personally know any player but I did cover the C’s for ABC radio networks for 2 yrs and have worked in media for 30+. I I know. That makes me bias right? Call it what you want but I believe I can snuff out a bulls**t story much better than most folks who want to believe what they want to believe. As for the above mentioned piece, there is truth to it. KTHXBYE :>)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:26 pm

Dboss and Gyso,
When a source is not named there are reasons for that. I would be naive to think that none of these “unnamed sources” are individuals planting BS for clicks etc. However, reputable media folks do get information from players, owners, managers, coaches, that is “off the record”. The folks are aware that the info will be printed or broadcasted with the agreement that their names will not be attached to it. So a story with an unnamed source doesn’t necessarily mean its BS. Blog sites, fan sites, yeah take that with a grain of salt. Some of its real and some of its not.
If Media in Boston are not asking the right questions then they are not doing their job. I don’t believe they have exclusivity when it comes to being incompetent, its everywhere but we are always going to have to read between the lines on some things because only so much information is going to be provided or leaked.

As for the IT piece. I did not watch the Youtube video because I had recently watched a 90 minute interview with him on a podcast “All the Smoke”. Not sure if thats what you posted but on the one I watched he really didn’t go in on Danny (individually)as much as he went in on “the team” for not being transparent about the extent of his injury. He understood the trade (though initially hurt which is to be expected) but it was mainly the medical issue that didn’t sit well with him.
dboss is right, the perception about our team is not good. Fair or not, it has to be fixed and it can start with the hiring of the new coach. This will set the tone.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:02 am

My guess is this is overblown.

I would suspect some distrust between players and management would be a constant. The union system, like in any other workplace, is part of what can often become an adversarial relationship. In the sports world in particular, management always needs to look at improving the roster. Wouldn’t you always be looking over you shoulder in that situation?

I believe you could write this article about any GM in the NBA and elsewhere.

I don’t think there’s really any story here.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:57 am

I see way too many bad contracts that have crippled teams, Kemba’s, John Wall, Porzingus, Andrew Wiggins, etc. Players should not have guaranteed contracts, they don’t have them in football, there should be a certain amount guaranteed. If a player far underperforms, the franchise should be able to move on.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:08 am

Any player who thinks his GM isn't fielding calls about them is an idiot, or realizes that he's not considered valuable enough to be called about.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:08 pm

bobheckler wrote:Any player who thinks his GM isn't fielding calls about them is an idiot, or realizes that he's not considered valuable enough to be called about.  

Bob

Yup. Every professional athlete should get a text from their agent every morning: IT'S A BUSINESS. The job of a GM is to put a marketable product on the floor. Sometimes that means keeping fan favorite players. But mostly that means building a winning team. I imagine every player is a little hurt if they are traded. They get over it. IT'S A BUSINESS.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:08 pm

atcross wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Any player who thinks his GM isn't fielding calls about them is an idiot, or realizes that he's not considered valuable enough to be called about.  

Bob

Yup. Every professional athlete should get a text from their agent every morning: IT'S A BUSINESS. The job of a GM is to put a marketable product on the floor. Sometimes that means keeping fan favorite players. But mostly that means building a winning team. I imagine every player is a little hurt if they are traded. They get over it. IT'S A BUSINESS.

Unfortunately, whether true or not, DA is the GM with bad rep amongst players. And, it obviously can't be dismissed because it is from BR - AD's father brought it up, and thus it may have affected our recruiting possibilities. Overall DA did a great job - the Celtics have been competitive for years - but maybe he could have handled some things differently. It's not a radical statement, it's a reasonable question given everything that is out there

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:43 pm

I don't know if the Celtics lied to IT about his injury or not. If they did, it's reprehensible. What I do know is that perception creates its own reality. It was past time for Ainge to move on. Smart said nice things about him, but the majority of the rest of the players maintained radio silence.I don't believe for a second that DA  is retiring for good. I wish him well, but as my Irish grandfather used to say, I was ready to " see the back of him."
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:09 pm

just because you have not read it in print, does not mean that the players have not reached out to Danny. I would find it unrealistic to think that NO ONE except Smart talked to him. It does not always have to be in print. With regard to Bleacher Reports, I should have known better when I read the headlines. The amount of unsupported remarks that they make, the supposed trades they put in print, leave them totally suspect and i bit. Last time for that one. Like I said, it is funny how people are so ready to tag Danny as the issue with the Celtics. The old saying of "don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave" is relevant here. Tired of reading these supposed "issues" tagged on Dannys rear Move on people, he is gone most of you have got your wish
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Rosalie,

Some folks live for hot takes and scapegoats. Bleacher report is a reliable source for that kind of thing.

Maybe it was time for Danny to leave, but he generally managed to make it interesting for 18 years!

I don't know about you, but I am excited for the next chapter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:25 pm

NYCelt wrote:My guess is this is overblown.

I would suspect some distrust between players and management would be a constant. The union system, like in any other workplace, is part of what can often become an adversarial relationship. In the sports world in particular, management always needs to look at improving the roster. Wouldn’t you always be looking over you shoulder in that situation?

I believe you could write this article about any GM in the NBA and elsewhere.

I don’t think there’s really any story here.

I will agree. You could write this article about any GM in the NBA and elsewhere and more often than not find some truth to it. I don't believe that our team operates much differently when it comes to the topics at hand. That’s upsetting. I don't like the perception that somehow we operate differently. As Dick Gregory once said “They all like the same”. Needless to say I’m not concerned with ‘they all’, I’m only concerned about ours.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 pm

NBA executive: Players didn't trust Danny Ainge 63149d10

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:57 pm

Smokey mountains, we're going there tomorrow!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:48 pm

Anything that may have happened yesterday, or could have happened or should have happened or would have happened yesterday remains in the past.

Imagine a great future.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:45 pm

Those who have nothing shall have less and that which they have shall be taken from them.

-Cancel the future

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:42 am

Ktron wrote:Those who have nothing shall have less and that which they have shall be taken from them.

-Cancel the future

ktron

You are being a bit gloomy.

I'm heading to Boston at the end of the month and will be up there through the 4th of July. It has been 2 years since my last visit because of that damn virus. I am going to see my grandson for the first time. I am going to get some fried clams! I guess you could say that things are looking up.

I still plan to launch a zoom session before I leave and I am just waiting for the big coaching announcement.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:49 am

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:Those who have nothing shall have less and that which they have shall be taken from them.

-Cancel the future

ktron

I'm heading to Boston at the end of the month and will be up there through the 4th of July.  It has been 2 years since my last visit because of that damn virus.   I am going to see my grandson for the first time.  I am going to get some fried clams! I guess you could say that things are looking up.

I still plan to launch a zoom session before I leave and I am just waiting for the big coaching announcement.

. I’m holding on to that little ode to gift the Lakers or any other team that tries to stand in our way future forward!
Haven’t been back to the ‘Bury’ in about 6 yrs. I really Miss Bosstown and all of the great culture that I took for granted of while growing up there. dboss, while you’re up there check and see if you can find a Joe and Nemo’s, Freddie Parkers, Ugi’s, or a Skippy Whites records still open. Lol. Remember when Bill Russell owned Slades? It’s still there! Same spot.
Enjoy your vacay. Look forward to the Zoom following the big coaching announcement.
PS. Lets start a petition to send to Brad and co. That says “quit procrastinating and vacillating and pick the right one baby- Billups, Cassell or Larsen”. :.)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:04 pm

dboss wrote:

-Cancel the future

ktron

I'm heading to Boston at the end of the month and will be up there through the 4th of July.  It has been 2 years since my last visit because of that damn virus.   I am going to see my grandson for the first time.  I am going to get some fried clams! I guess you could say that things are looking up.

Count me in the Zoom Call

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:47 am

Gyso, clip was great!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:21 am

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:

-Cancel the future

ktron

. I’m holding on to that little ode to gift the Lakers or any other team that tries to stand in our way future forward!
Haven’t been back to the ‘Bury’ in about 6 yrs. I really Miss Bosstown and all of the great culture that I took for granted of while growing up there. dboss, while you’re up there check and see if you can find a Joe and Nemo’s, Freddie Parkers, Ugi’s, or a Skippy Whites records still open. Lol. Remember when Bill Russell owned Slades? It’s still there! Same spot.
Enjoy your vacay. Look forward to the Zoom following the big coaching announcement.
PS. Lets start a petition to send to Brad and co. That says “quit procrastinating and vacillating and pick the right one baby- Billups, Cassell or Larsen”.  :.)

hey ktron

Speaking of Slades, that will be one of my stops.  

I think Brad will move cautiously and candidates like Sam are still coaching.  I have read that a lot of folks like Chauncey.  Saw an extended clns session with Gary Washburn where he broke a lot of things down.  Mentioned many of the same things discussed right here.  He likes Chauncey as well but also thinks that he needs to hire an experienced coaching staff.  He also talked about the need for a new voice or 2 in the front office with a heavy focus on player evaluation (draft, FA and trades)  Basically he said the Celtics organization lacks diversity.  He said Brad was a good coach but he did in fact lose the team.  He said he expects the new coach to have a bigger impact than Brad because Brad is restricted because of the cap.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next