Tribute to a Man Whose Greatness Transcends Individual Sports

2 posters

Go down

Tribute to a Man Whose Greatness Transcends Individual Sports Empty Tribute to a Man Whose Greatness Transcends Individual Sports

Post by Sam Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:41 pm

A brief departure from basketball (I cleared it with the administrators). Tonight, the Boston Bruins' Milt Schmidt re-raised his uniform number 15 to the TD Garden rafters to an ovation from fans who would then watch the Bruins shut out the Toronto Maple Leafs 2-0. The ceremony recognized his 75 years of service as player, captain, coach and executive (G.M.) of the Bruins. He is now age 92 and first joined the Bruins in 1936. One of the great hockey centers of all-time, he is one of only two Bruins centers (along with Phil Esposito) to have his number retired. But all of that barely scratches the surface of the history connected with this man among men.

He centered what became known as the "Kraut Line," combining with Woody Dumart and Bobby Bauer in a trio of German descent. One season, they ranked 1-2-3 in NHL scoring. They won two Stanley Cups. They lived together in one room in Brookline, Massachusetts. They enlisted together into the Royal Canadian Air Force in WWII. In their last game prior to leaving for military service, the three combined for 22 points in beating the Tornoto Maple Leafs 8-1. After they reunited on the Bruins following the war, attempts were made to coin a more politically correct name for their line, but it never happened. Bauer retired in 1947, but the three reunited for one game in 1952 and scored two goals as the Bruins beat the Chicago Black Hawks.

I had the pleasure of seeing Milt last year as he was inducted (along with Sam Jones) to the New England Sports Hall of Fame. He was not only sharp as a tack but also remarkably fit. I've been following the Bruins at least as long as the Celtics. Milt was all class then, and he still is.

I'll close with a line from his speech tonight. Nothing I could possibly say would be more eloquent. "The Spoked B (Bruins' famed logo) is practically my family crest, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Tribute to a Man Whose Greatness Transcends Individual Sports Empty Re: Tribute to a Man Whose Greatness Transcends Individual Sports

Post by bobc33 Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Sam I watched that also and it was quite moving.

Back to top Go down