Sam Hauser proving worthy of an expanded role in Celtics win over Pistons

+4
dbrown4
dboss
Celtics17
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Sam Hauser proving worthy of an expanded role in Celtics win over Pistons Empty Sam Hauser proving worthy of an expanded role in Celtics win over Pistons

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:02 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/11/sam-hauser-proving-worthy-of-an-expanded-role-in-celtics-win-over-pistons.html

Sam Hauser proving worthy of an expanded role in Celtics win over Pistons

Published: Nov. 10, 2022, 6:00 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

BOSTON — When the time came for Sam Hauser to speak with the media on Wednesday night after scoring a career-high 24 points, Hauser initially headed to his usual spot in the locker room. Instead, a Celtics PR staff motioned it was time for him to move to the main press conference room, reserved for the top team performers of the night. The distinction summed up nicely how far Hauser has come during Boston’s first 11 games of the season.

The second-year forward inked a three-year contract with Boston this summer for close to league minimum money after spending much of his rookie season with the Maine Celtics. Things changed quickly for Hauser though after Danilo Gallinari tore his ACL, putting him front and center as a name that would have the opportunity to earn a spot in Joe Mazzulla’s rotation.

However, what Hauser has managed to do in his first 11 games of the regular season has surpassed almost anyone’s expectations for the undrafted forward out of Virginia. The 6-foot-8 forward capped a terrific start to the year with 24 points off the bench in a career-high 30 minutes in Wednesday’s win over the Pistons.

“Fits in with the other guys, moves the ball, creates separation for himself and for others,” Mazzulla said of the sharpshooter. “Does a great job of continuing to get better on the defensive end. He’s right up there with everyone else on the team, doing a great job.”

Through 11 games, Hauser is shooting a team-best 53.5 percent from 3-point range on over four attempts per game, which puts him in the top-10 in the league for 3-point accuracy. That type of efficiency has helped him go from just a secondary piece in Mazzulla’s bench rotation to someone he’s calling plays for alongside the starting five on Wednesday night.

“He’s a guy that can create separation,” Mazzulla said. “And so usually guys who can shoot the ball are also really good screeners. So I think putting him in the action is another guy that they have to worry about, along with Jayson and Jaylen and whether it’s Smart or Al, so when you have him involved, it just adds another layer to how they’re going to guard.”

With Hauser under contract on the cheap for the next three seasons, his signing and development in Boston’s system has quickly become a key boon for the team’s front office and coaching staff. Finding diamonds in the rough is a necessity now for a contender that doesn’t have significant salary cap space for the foreseeable future. Hauser is providing perhaps the best bang for the buck out of any minimum salary player in the league at this point, with the possibility of him evolving further.

“I think it goes to a comfort level of getting used to playing with guys like Jayson or Jaylen,” Hauser said of his strong start. “I didn’t really have much opportunity to do that last year in a game setting, so these first 10 games have been huge, and even preseason as well, to get a feel for what they like or where they like me to be, how they like me to help them, help me, I think it all ties into that.”

With Hauser thriving alongside Boston’s loaded bench unit, the Celtics’ offense remains a potent force that most opposing defenses don’t have an answer for at this point. With Rob Williams’ return also on the horizon, open looks on the perimeter for Hauser probably won’t be going away anytime soon despite his hot start.

Bob
MY NOTE: Sam is now up to 14.5mpg. He has played a total of 161 minutes so far this season through 11 games. Last season he played a total of 158.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Sam Hauser proving worthy of an expanded role in Celtics win over Pistons Empty Re: Sam Hauser proving worthy of an expanded role in Celtics win over Pistons

Post by Celtics17 Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:38 am

Hauser is proving something. It is still a small sample size. However, he definitely has an NBA skill, his three point shot. In addition he plays pretty good defense and seems to know how to move the ball on offense. His D still needs some improvement, but he appears to move his feet and is able to stay in front of his man (for the most part). I look at guys like Duncan Robinson and Max Strus and don't see any reason why Sam can't reach that level. I think he can have a decent NBA career.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Sam Hauser proving worthy of an expanded role in Celtics win over Pistons Empty Re: Sam Hauser proving worthy of an expanded role in Celtics win over Pistons

Post by dboss Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:45 am

I dare say, Sam is that guy we have dreamed about. A cold blooded sniper that is a perfect fit to compliment the Jays.

Game by game, CJ is really figuring things out. Getting Sam more minutes and more scoring opportunities is clearly the formula that has helped elevate the Celtics offense to new heights.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:26 am

Yeah, this dude is becoming scary good. And quickly working his way into getting in the same sentence with RA and EH. That's all I'm sayin'!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:24 am

Rosalie may have called this one. She’s been saying there’s a place in the rotation for Hauser for some time.

Too soon to say for sure, but he looks very promising as someone who can hit some shots and add continuity and consistency to the offense.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:48 am

I think that it is great that Sam Ka-Bam (no takers?) has finally gotten some playing time and it looks like we may be onto something here.

My only concern is that we may want to wait until scouting reports get around to all the teams before declaring it a total success. It always takes 1/2 to 3/4 of a season for the league to react to a new "situation".

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:57 am

gyso wrote:I think that it is great that Sam Ka-Bam (no takers?) has finally gotten some playing time and it looks like we may be onto something here.

My only concern is that we may want to wait until scouting reports get around to all the teams before declaring it a total success.  It always takes 1/2 to 3/4 of a season for the league to react to a new "situation".

gyso,

That's the 1/2 to 3/4 of a season of Shock and Awe we need until RWill gets back. Put them on their heels and then, just when they think they've figured us out, we throw another wrinkle at them.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:58 am

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:I think that it is great that Sam Ka-Bam (no takers?) has finally gotten some playing time and it looks like we may be onto something here.

My only concern is that we may want to wait until scouting reports get around to all the teams before declaring it a total success.  It always takes 1/2 to 3/4 of a season for the league to react to a new "situation".

gyso,

That's the 1/2 to 3/4 of a season of Shock and Awe we need until RWill gets back.  Put them on their heels and then, just when they think they've figured us out, we throw another wrinkle at them.

Bob

I like your thinkin'!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:31 pm

Good point gyso

If teams start to cover him more closely there will be an impact.  It goes both ways though. You cannot double team Jayson or Jaylen if it leaves Sam or even Grant unguarded.  As Sam is put into more action it should help to free him up.  

The Celtics move the ball with the intent to find the best shot.  

As teams game plan to include Hauser I anticipate tighter coverage against him.  Him and the Celtics will need to adjust accordingly.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:10 pm

Hi,
I think teams, at least those we played the last 5-6 games, already got Hauser as a "no 3-pointer allowed" target.
To counter this he got some moves (what I saw in the last game, vs Pistons). Hopefully, he'll continue on this path.
And, of course, when he plays with JB or JT or, both it's "choose your poison" time for the opponent.
I hope CJ keeps Houser on the floor for 18-20 min. He deserves it.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:40 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
I think teams, at least those we played the last 5-6 games, already got Hauser as a "no 3-pointer allowed" target.
To counter this he got some moves (what I saw in the last game, vs Pistons). Hopefully, he'll continue on this path.
And, of course, when he plays with JB or JT or, both it's "choose your poison" time for the opponent.
I hope CJ keeps Houser on the floor for 18-20 min. He deserves it.

AK

100% agree

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:16 pm

One shooter shooting the shite with another shooter.

Try saying that 3X fast...

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:37 pm

The Best 2nd Unit in the League
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:09 pm

I like the "30 with a Scope"!  Implies the sniper mentality.  Clearly, I still like my own "Doogie" Hauser but that doesn't say much about his prowess on the court now that I think about it.

Eddie saying, "Anywhere" was absolutely true for him.  If I'm open, I'm shooting and it's going in.  Hauser may have given away a trade secret without knowing it.  He'll learn.  That's why Eddie was "surprised" at his answer.  Would like to see him get back on track in the 15-20 points/game arena.  Starting tonight vs. PHX wouldn't hurt.

Great interview!  Let's hope SH will be like Eddie.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:28 pm

update on Sam

For the year he is averaging 16.7 MPG while scoring 7.1 points and 2.4 rebounds.  His shooting splits remain outstanding.  50.6% FG and 46.2% from deep.  

During 16 November games his MPG were 19.1.  During the 3 games in December his MPG are 14.3

He is not going to be a 15-20 PPG scorer because he would need more minutes and more shot opportunities.  That simply is not going to happen on this deep team.  When we are down a player or 2 or 3, there may be increased opportunities to play more.  

Sam has played in all 25 games this year.  He has established himself as a 'regular' rotation guy.

There will be games where due to matchups and availability of other players he may not see a lot of court time.

CJ has a collection of players where at least 8 players are legitimate everyday starters.  I think his biggest challenge will be to reduce minutes for the Jays and Al Horford in particular.

Rob's return solves the too many minutes issue associated with Al.

Hauser can help us as a stretch 4 and play some SF when JT is not in the game and also play along side JT where Sam will get open opportunities.

Everything will be dependent on game to game matchups and in-game adjustments.

Sam was a great find by Brad.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down