Matty
swedeinestonia
Sam
8 posters

Go down

Dues Notification Empty Dues Notification

Post by Sam Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:59 pm

To the Board:

We’re at roughly the one-year mark as a Boston Celtics message board. Congratulations and thanks to all who have contributed to the success of this forum.

Board Activity

We’ve had 171 people give it try, and we usually have about 50 active posters. Nearly 40,000 messages have been posted. I have a hunch that some who are not posting are monitoring our threads on at least a semi-regular basis. I occasionally see references to our message content on other boards.

And people are still joining. Of course, we welcome any “new blood.” So, if you have any acquaintances who might be interested, please persuade them to give the board a try.

Board Reputation

Several months ago, we had inquiries from another board and a blog about acquiring Sam’s Celtics Forum. It’s gratifying to know that we are held in such esteem, although retaining our independence seems essential to maintaining the uniqueness we seem to represent. It is important to note that the main attraction in both cases was the quality of conversation on the board. So the lion’s share of the credit goes to all of you—your knowledge, your communication instincts, your sincerity, and (to repeat an overused word) your sense of conviviality. And the often-amazing volunteer efforts of the administrators (gyso, NYCelt, Pete, dboss and 112288) should be applauded by one and all. I would have been a babe in the woods without their unflagging expertise and inputs.

Paid Subscription Policy

One ongoing issue (which has even been discussed on other boards) has been our paid subscription policy. Although I admit to thinking initially that charging for membership might help defray some of my losses in spending a lot of time on the board rather than on my own company, I dropped that notion the first time I put it to the calculator test. Twenty bucks @ maybe 50 people wasn’t going to support bi-weekly trips to Paris. I wound up never taking a penny of it personally. It got used up mainly in some contest prizes, subsidizing the cost of a couple of parties, and our philanthropic efforts.

But I did have another motive that I think has stood the test of time. I reasoned that charging even a nominal sum would filter out people who were either less serious about basketball or less “convivial” (that word again). It seemed to me that they wouldn’t care about paying for quality, since their objectives lay in other directions. I believe firmly that this has come to pass. Yes, it has probably limited our membership somewhat, but the benefits have been worth it. I could cite some specific examples, but why bother? Actually, the membership reinforced my theory by voting something like 80%-20% to retain the paid subscriptions, largely for quality reasons.

So we’ll be continuing the annual subscriptions, but with some changes:

1. All annual subscriptions (new or sustaining) will be $15.

2. Rather than billing individuals (very time-consuming), we’ll issue a board-wide notice each October that subscriptions are due. There will be a sort of honor system for payment, although we'll keep track of who has paid and who has not.

3. Those who feel financially uncomfortable in paying the $15 will be asked to send a note very briefly and generally explaining the extenuating circumstances, and they will be excused from paying. (To send a message, you may use the Private Message function or email me at SlipSamCelt@aol.com.) Yes, we realize that most people can afford $15. But there are times in life, when every additional expenditure (no matter how small) seems like just one more slap in the face. So we urge people not to be embarrassed or reluctant in utilizing this option. (Please note that we are not inviting people to decline payment simply based on principle, because the members have expressed that they feel the token payment helps ensure a more serious member profile.)

5. Payment notices will be posted periodically, throughout the year (maybe monthly), to ask those who have recently joined to make payment (or send a note) after about a month of being on the board. Those who join in mid-year may send a portion of $15 for their first payment, depending on when they joined. The only people whose membership benefits will be stopped for non-payment will be those who send neither the money nor an explanatory note—and only after they have been sent email reminders.

6. We're still honoring the one-month free trial period. Newer members are not expected to pay until one month after the date the joined.

I hope everyone will consider this approach fair.

Dues payments may be made by either of the following methods:

1. Snail mail a check for $15, payable to Sam's Celtics Forum, to: Sam's Celtics Forum; P.O. Box 758; Wellfleet, MA 02667 (USA)
Be sure to put your board name on the check so you will be credited properly.

2. Make a $15 PayPal payment to Sam's Celtics Forum, using the following email address: SlipSamCelt@aol.com
Be to note your board name on the payment so you will be credited properly.

Our Non-Celtics Fans

As my body is being lowered into the ground and I’m thinking over my life (along with how to find a very long bamboo stick), among the most treasured highlights will be the fact that this board has emulated good basketball teams in one specific way. A group of individuals from different backgrounds, diverse ideologies, and disparate allegiances has been able to band together to accomplish a meaningful group objective. For the most part, the board functions in a manner that doesn’t stop at being only civil. The camaraderie that has formed is rather astounding. And it hasn’t necessarily come easily. A lot of angst, self-examination, adaptation, and sheer effort has pieced together the most inspiring group of people of which I’ve ever been a part. I’m being very sincere when I say it’s been one of the highlights of my life; and I want to thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart.

No one knows how many helpful private messages and emails I receive, containing questions, concerns, and excellent suggestions for making this a better and (especially) a more harmonious board. To all who have contributed in this manner, I say thank you—and keep those cards and letters coming in.

I guess this is a good place to stop. There is now the small issue of a championship to deal with. In the meantime, I can only express my gratitude once more, along with my hopes for a healthy, happy and productive year ahead for all of you.

Best regards,

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Dues Notification Empty Re: Dues Notification

Post by Sam Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi Sam.

I am having a little logistics problems with paypal but I am gonna try and have it worked out as soon as possible, please bear with me.

swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:38 pm

No hurry, Swede. If I can help, please let me know.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:36 am

mines being sent out on friday (payday)
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks, Matty.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Mine on the way today. dbrown4
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks, d.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Just sent in to paypal the dues. Thanks Sam for a great year of Celticdom!

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Thank you, Hoop. Still working on the wife for a Florida trip. She's getting wise to my plea that, at my age, it could be my last trip anywhere. I've used it on 73 consecutive trips, so maybe it's getting a little old (like me).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Just sent via Paypal Sam.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:11 pm

Florida would be something. Used to visit my gfs aunt, she lived outside of gainesville. Go waterskiing on the river. Those were the days Smile

Beats the -16c we have at the moment in Stockholm, thats for sure Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Gators! And I'm talking the river, not the sports teams.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Sam-I sent my check over two weeks ago, hope you got it. If not, let me know.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Rosalie, I'm terribly sorry. I thought I had emailed you notification that I received payment. It's much appreciated, and I'm glad you called me on it. I particularly liked the notation you made: Rosalie T. Celtics. I know you didn't divorce and marry some guy named Celtics because your husband's name is also on the check. Perhaps you've been a Celtics fan for so long that you feel married to them by common law. I know that feeling.

Anyway, thanks again, and I'm sorry for any oversight on my part.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Thanks Sam-I just wanted to make sure you got it.

Maybe I don't think I am married to the Celtics by now, but Mr. T does!
He is so used to me retreating to our room to watch the game alone that he sometimes feels jilted! After 40 years I thought he would be over it!!
There isn't anyone that I know or have known who still asks me when I
see them if I am "Still addicted to the Celtics and basketball?". I proudly
say "YES, AND I LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT"!

Please, there was no oversight on your part, I am just so glad to have a place to go to chat with people who are just as crazy as me!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 am

Crazier than you Rosalie, crazier....
I know that it's not politically correct to say this but:
It's a good day when the Celtics win and the Lakers lose.
Call me a crazy C's fan.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:08 am

Rosalie,

I guess that, after 40 years, Mr. T. has a hunch you're in the marriage for the long term. lol.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:44 pm

P.S. Sam, did you get mine? dbrown4
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:05 pm

D,

Sorry, I've been involved in a bunch of things and had planned to write you today.

Yes, I received it. I debated for perhaps one second and decided to accept the cash. (lol)

Thanks a lot.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks and sorry about that. When I read the dues update thread that day, I checked my pocket looking for my checkbook and had exactly $15 dollars cash before finding the checkbook, so I tightly wrapped it up and took my chances!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:11 pm

D,

Believe me, your promptness was much appreciated. If you'd sent pennies, I would have been happy. Of course, the postage would have cost you more than the dues.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down