Jaylen Brown Is Eligible for $290M Super Max Contract Extension IF...

5 posters

Go down

Jaylen Brown Is Eligible for $290M Super Max Contract Extension IF... Empty Jaylen Brown Is Eligible for $290M Super Max Contract Extension IF...

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:48 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown Is Eligible for $290M Super Max Contract Extension IF... Empty Re: Jaylen Brown Is Eligible for $290M Super Max Contract Extension IF...

Post by dboss Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:53 pm

I do think that Jaylen has a chance to make one of the 3 all NBA Teams.

Last year 13 out of the 15 players that made 1 of the 3 all NBA teams where also in the top 15 in scoring. The exception last year was Chris Paul who was the top assist guy and Pascal Siakam. Not sure why Siakam made the team.

I think Jaylen has a good shot at making one of the teams if he maintains a top 15 scoring average with a high FG% and continues to rebound well and take and make his FT's.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown Is Eligible for $290M Super Max Contract Extension IF... Empty Re: Jaylen Brown Is Eligible for $290M Super Max Contract Extension IF...

Post by NYCelt Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:55 pm

Jaylen is a big part of this team’s success. Not many would argue if you make the claim he’s the team’s second best player.

But before the conversation about checking the boxes he needs so a super max contract can be had, Jaylen is going to have to improve his defense. He’s filling it up on the offensive end, almost as well as Tatum, but he’s a key contributor to the team’s lowered defensive rating. If Brown can get back to being at least the defender he was the past two seasons, he’s got a shot at catching that Brinks truck others missed.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:54 am

NYCelt wrote:Jaylen is a big part of this team’s success. Not many would argue if you make the claim he’s the team’s second best player.

But before the conversation about checking the boxes he needs so a super max contract can be had, Jaylen is going to have to improve his defense. He’s filling it up on the offensive end, almost as well as Tatum, but he’s a key contributor to the team’s lowered defensive rating. If Brown can get back to being at least the defender he was the past two seasons, he’s got a shot at catching that Brinks truck others missed.

Really I don’t see a drop off in his defense, there might be analytics I’m not aware of, but I’m still seeing very good defense from him for the most part…..and he just went 2 games in a row with no turnovers. Now that’s a major accomplishment.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Jaylen is a big part of this team’s success. Not many would argue if you make the claim he’s the team’s second best player.

Really I don’t see a drop off in his defense, there might be analytics I’m not aware of, but I’m still seeing very good defense from him for the most part…..and he just went 2 games in a row with no turnovers. Now that’s a major accomplishment.

Cow,

He is very often getting owned by less talented guards. Look at some of the scoring, assists and offensive boards he’s given up to his man in games this year. He’s out of place on rotations, and leaving his man open with bad results when he switches off to help elsewhere too soon. Opponent scoring average, for those who love looking up stats more than you and me, goes down when he sits. Jaylen’s defense, in my opinion, must improve for him to deserve that big of a contract obligation.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:01 am

Really NY Celt, I just saw him with 4 blocks on Nets and he shutdown Kyrie at crunch time. I know Smart is a great defender, I think 2 J’s may even be better and better because of more length. Obviously they can cover bigs better because of their size, I look at boxscores, but advanced analytics is not my thing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:22 am

If being one of the top 15 players in the NBA is the criteria for the Super Max, then I think Jaylen qualifies. I think he is a terrific two way player. I think his defense is solid. He's a very good one on one defender, in my opinion. He also reads passing lanes well. I thought when he was on on Siakam last night he did the best job.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:26 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Really NY Celt, I just saw him with 4 blocks on Nets and he shutdown Kyrie at crunch time. I know Smart is a great defender, I think 2 J’s may even be better and better because of more length. Obviously they can cover bigs better because of their size, I look at boxscores, but advanced analytics is not my thing.

Cow,

You and I are alike in that I don't usually go pouring over piles of numbers either. I do it all day, it's the last thing I want to do when I'm trying to enjoy a game. When, on occasion, you do see me even close to quoting stats, it usually means a friend has pointed it out to me and shown me the data, which is part of the case here.

I'm not trying to dump on Brown here at all, but watching games I've seen him make some bad decisions and leave his man open repeatedly this season. If you watch, it usually happens when he bails out too soon, trying to provide help defense. While the data on other opponent's scoring average dropping when he sits this year was shown to me by a friend, just a quick scan of box scores and a game-cast chart or two shows the offensive statistics his defensive assignments have pulled off against him. Has he had some good moments on defense too? Yes, with no question. But overall his defense appears to be a part of the team decline on that end.

Again, I'm not trying to dump on Jaylen. He's certainly among the league's upper tier of players and a huge fan favorite. He's among my favorites too. I just question giving Super-Max money out when you can verify statistically that a part of a players game has taken a step back. It's a huge obligation that tightens the vice on future moves. Are there one-dimensional players getting Super-Max money? Several. And you might be able to justify it given overall team makeup and a given player's importance to a specific part of the team's dynamic. I'm looking at it as what I would consider spending only. I'm not saying send the guy packing either. It's not my money (my payroll here is significantly lower!) so if Wyc and company think they should go for it, I'll feel no pain!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:53 pm

Jaylen's defensive rating of  111.8 is in line with the Team's overall defensive rating of 111.5

I guess you could apply that to

Smart    112.2
AL         111.4
Brogdon  111.1

Tatum is at 109.2,  Grant is 110  and our best defender (+20 MPG) is Derrick White at 108.2

I do not think Jaylen's defense will have much of an impact in making or not making an all NBA Team.  Selections are clearly driven by offense.

I would also wager that a healthy Robert Williams will alter our team defensive rating for a number of obvious reasons.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:01 pm

NY Celt

I’m with you, I trust my eye test. Jaylen can cover multiple positions, he’s very fast, strong, can be tenacious and has good length. My take on all the analytics is last night we were behind by 8 at halftime, we had a huge 3rd quarter sparked by the defense and Tatum, Brown and Smart got hot and took it to them. Then in the 4th they came back, but could not get over the hump, so possibly we got outscored in 3 of the 4 quarters. When Jaylen was actually in and the +/- while he was in and on defense I couldn’t tell you and I don’t think you want to know and either do I. So analytically in a game of runs, I could see where they might say this or that; my eye test tells me he’s a very good defensive player with all NBA defensive ability, who has stretches where he makes mistakes. Tatum and Jaylen like to cheat and have the speed to double from behind for the steal or to shoot the passing lane leading to fastbreak finishes in a blur. They have that kind of ability better than most to make those kind of plays and hope I don’t need glasses.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:12 pm

dboss wrote:Jaylen's defensive rating of  111.8 is in line with the Team's overall defensive rating of 111.5

I guess you could apply that to

Smart    112.2
AL         111.4
Brogdon  111.1

Tatum is at 109.2,  Grant is 110  and our best defender (+20 MPG) is Derrick White at 108.2

I do not think Jaylen's defense will have much of an impact in making or not making an all NBA Team.  Selections are clearly driven by offense.

I would also wager that a healthy Robert Williams will alter our team defensive rating for a number of obvious reasons.  

I feel like poking holes in analytics today, so who do we put on the teams best offensive player? It’s usually not White, who I love his game. The best offensive player is usually defended by Jaylen, we obviously switch a lot, but you still want Jaylen on Doncic, Lebron and Booker as much as possible. Those numbers are not reflective of if White had to cover those type of players one on one, and I love Derrick White, weird headband pressing into his forehead and all.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down