Why is Jaylen Brown not signed to the super max yet?

+9
worcester
jrleftfoot
Ktron
dbrown4
NYCelt
gyso
dboss
Shamrock1000
bobc33
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why is Jaylen Brown not signed to the super max yet? Empty Why is Jaylen Brown not signed to the super max yet?

Post by bobc33 Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:57 pm

I haven’t followed this closely, but am curious why he hasn’t been signed yet? I was thinking it is cut and dried what the max offer can be.

One thought is the team and Brown has essentially agreed, but want to hold off announcing it to keep the pressure on Miami to make it as expensive as possible for them to get Dame.

Any other plausible reasons?

Back to top Go down

Why is Jaylen Brown not signed to the super max yet? Empty Re: Why is Jaylen Brown not signed to the super max yet?

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:35 pm

bobc33 wrote:I haven’t followed this closely, but am curious why he hasn’t been signed yet?  I was thinking it is cut and dried what the max offer can be.

One thought is the team and Brown has essentially agreed, but want to hold off announcing it to keep the pressure on Miami to make it as expensive as possible for them to get Dame.

Any other plausible reasons?

Good question and an interesting take on a possible answer. I imagine people will quote the various articles that "it will happen and the two sides are just ironing out details", but I'm guessing you've heard those answers. If it's so simple, and the nw CBA is so clear, what needs working out? Not entirely trusting stories from either side at this point.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Why is Jaylen Brown not signed to the super max yet? Empty Re: Why is Jaylen Brown not signed to the super max yet?

Post by dboss Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:01 pm

The $64,000 question

The numbers appear to be cut and dry but the devil is in the details.

If you were Jaylen Brown and his agent you may be wanting a no-trade clause as well as a trade kicker.

Consider that the money alone is just one thing but also given the numerous times that Jaylen brown's name has become part of every conceivable trade scenario (some not true but some with legs)  Jaylen may want to have some say so in where he is traded if that decision by the Celtics to trade him becomes a reality.  He probably wants an "I agree to that trade" clause.  

I do not think it is the money because the CAP and Luxury Tax thresholds are set to go up 10% every year.  In other words if he was getting paid 30-35% of the CAP to establish how much they can pay him under a new contract, that percentage will decrease each year in relation to the increase in the CAP.

We are outsiders and Brad seems to keep things closely under wraps.  With that in mind speculation is nothing more than speculation.

I hope they ink the deal soon.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:05 pm

I've read that the holdup is because of performance incentives, like:

5th year player option

Trade kicker.  There could be a debate between 10% and 15%.

Other bonus items in typical contracts.  Like 65 games played in a season, bonus for awards, etc.

No Trade Clause.  Not likely, but who knows?

See this article:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2023/7/10/23790347/report-jaylen-brown-boston-celtics-extension-talks-continue-but-there-is-work-to-be-done

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:15 pm

I would think that he would want the 5th year player option
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:36 pm

Blast from the past:

(From CelticsBlog)

dslack wrote:Can't get a no-trade clause. Need to have been in the NBA for at least 8 years to get a no-trade clause (Jaylen has been in the NBA for 7 yrs).

By next summer, Jaylen will have 8 years under his belt and could get a no-trade clause, but this summer he can't.

There will be no no-trade clause!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:54 pm

Not only is the 8 year, 4 with the same team rule an issue in a no trade clause for Brown, but only 10 NBA players have ever gotten one. Bradley Beal was the last and Brown just doesn’t stack up to any of the others either. So that much is a non issue.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:17 am

I keep reading that they’re likely close. There have been comments here and in more detail elsewhere speculating that Brown sees himself as Tatum’s equal and that may be prompting requests needing some negotiation. If true that could slow things. There’s time, they have until October. If Jaylen is asking for anything unreasonable the team can string things out and wear him down some. He’s not going anywhere and getting more and it doesn’t appear they want to try and deal him. He’ll get signed.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/07/10/celtics-jaylen-brown-negotiations-progress-reports-las-vegas/

Reports: Celtics are ‘making progress’ as they negotiate Jaylen Brown extension in Las Vegas

There's still work to be done, but the Celtics appear to be closer to retaining Brown.

By Khari Thompson
July 10, 2023 | 6:05 PM

The Celtics are negotiating with Jaylen Brown in Las Vegas this week and have made progress toward reaching a deal on an extension, according to multiple reports

Jared Weiss of The Athletic reports that the Celtics and Brown are getting closer to making a deal “over the coming week.”

Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe wrote that the two sides had a continued dialogue over the weekend, but have not yet closed the deal.

“League sources said that there is confidence and hope that an agreement will be reached soon,” Himmelsbach wrote. “But it’s unclear how far they are from the finish line. One league source said that ‘there is work to be done.'”

According to Himmelsbach, the Celtics are offering Brown a five-year supermax contract but still have details to straighten out before the deal is signed.

A former league executive told Himmelsbach that a fifth-year player option and a no-trade clause are likely sticking points of the negotiation.

Jayson Tatum received a fifth-year player option in the contract he signed with Boston last summer, and Brown views himself as an “equal” with Tatum, Himmelsbach noted.

A no-trade clause would be far less likely. According to The Athletic, only 10 players in NBA history have ever received a “true” no-trade clause.

The deadline for Brown and the Celtics to reach an extension isn’t until October, but it appears both sides are interested in talking and moving things forward. NBA transactions tend to slow down after Summer League ends, Himmelsbach wrote, and if a deal isn’t reached the sides could resume talks this fall.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:43 am

Probably just the ongoing proverbial wild goose chase but saw this article early this am...

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2023/07/10/chaos-boston-celtics-jays/

Chaos in Boston? The latest development on relationship between Brown and Tatum
by Dylan Thompson13 hours ago
Just when you think that the Boston Celtics offseason could not get any crazier, more news drops and nukes that thought to smithereens.

A July 10 report from The Boston Globe’s Adam Himmelsbach states that Jaylen Brown is questioning his position on the Celtics hierarchy. The latest development with Brown is concerning, and it’s safe to say that fans should panic.

The chaos in Boston is real, and it’s time to wonder what Brown’s motives are.

The key part of the latest development with Brown is his thoughts on how he is equal to Tatum. Himmelsbach’s report also says that it’s understandable why Brown would want a player option like Tatum. This statement is concerning, and it highlights how I’ve always felt about Tatum and Brown: that it won’t work. Brown and Tatum are unable to coexist, and it seems that Brown is at the root of the problems, not Tatum.

Jaylen Brown’s extension talks with Boston Celtics makes report’s timing interesting
It’s also not surprising to see this leak out because there were reports earlier today that the Boston Celtics are nearing an extension with Brown. The new comment coming out at this time ultimately hurts Brown because it makes him look selfish. The fact that Brown wants what Tatum has shows there is a disconnect between Brown and the team. Brown must think higher of himself than the Celtics do of him.

It’s truly sad that Brown feels this way and that he is unable to accept his role on the team. This ultimately speaks to a larger issue with Brown because he has a massive ego. Brown is unable to see the true golden opportunity he has to be a Robin to Tatum’s Batman, similar to Scottie Pippen with Michael Jordan and Dwyane Wade with LeBron James.

Ultimately, it will be interesting to see what happens with Brown and Boston Celtics fans who should be glued to their phones for the latest.

Published on 07/10/2023 at 21:52 PMLast updated at 07/10/2023 at 21:53 PM

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:07 am

There's a lot of truthiness to these leaked reports and even more of it in the author's conclusions.

The contract didn't get signed because Jaylen is an egomaniac, he needs to stay in his lane, he's not the one, they cannot coexist, blah, blah, blah.

The Hatorade is strong with this one. He's a CBP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:25 am

The Houdini of the Hardwood take is somewhat weak.

I get it, in the end he’s just a fan but Brown, massive ego? I think he’s mistaking that for very a high level of self confidence.

Sad? Please.

‘Brown look’s like he is selfish and this hurts Brown’? Please.

Oh hammercy We can’t have that can we?

99.9% of all pro athletes have larger than life egos. Thats part of what separates them from you and I.

The Dylan Thompson Houdini piece is pretty weak.

Why should one be satisfied with the opportunity to be 2nd best? This ain’t Avis and self awareness does not have much to do with it here.

If a player thinks he can be a number one thats a good thing..until he’s not.
Its only become a problem if he/she keeps insisting that they're number 1 but in reality are closer to a #3 than a #1.

Brown may never be a #1 and quite frankly Tatum has yet to prove that he is a #1.

I don’t think we have that problem.

Perception is reality. We’ve all heard that one before.

Dylan Thompson’s piece is closer to a dream, an after thought after an oversized lunch.

It really sounds like one side of many sports debates that I took part in during High School.

We didn’t cover sports back then. We just watched them and later fought over our uneducated guesses.

I hope Marshall Dylan rethinks this and comes back a little stronger.

Finally, Im not sure what is meant by CPB.

It could be many things but I doubt that here it stands for:

‘Corporation of Public Broadcasting’

Or…

‘Cardiopulmonary Bypass‘

Or…

The stock market exchange symbol for ‘Campbell Soup Company’.

Maybe ‘Collective Bargaining such and such?

I don’t know. What’s the implication here?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:24 am

CBP = Click Bait Practitioner

That's an old phrase I just made up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:41 am

gyso wrote:CBP = Click Bait Practitioner

Cool! I like that. I may steal it and use in the future. :>)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:45 am

Ktron,

I'm about to show my ignorance again in the team sport arena as I have only my son to fall back on. He'll be here in NC in a couple of days and I will ask him this.

I don't get it. The whole who's #1 thing on a team. I can almost predict with great accuracy if I were to travel back in time the 60's and asked any of our championship teams who was the #1, they would look at me like I had 3 heads. And even if one suggested or pointed at Russell or Havlicek or Couzy or Jones (either), or whoever, they would have ran for cover. It was all about team. When asked who is the #1 for those teams, they would all point back to the coach. Something shifted. I'm going to guess initially it was the money.

This Who's #1 thing has emerged in our lifetimes. And in the end, it results in teams getting blown up every single time except for the 50's, 60's and 70's when we went on our tirades. Hmmmmm.

Please provide me with some insight as to why NBA players have been transformed ever so gradually during the last 50 years into what we see now as describe above.

db

P.S. Thanks, Ktron, for clarifying CBP! I was about to ask if you hadn't!! Just like I've introduced IOTMF and IMHBAO, gyso, I hope it sticks!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:10 pm

ktron

Good point about massive egos.

Since the no trade clause parameters have been spelled out we are probably down to the 5th year player option. That seems in line with other high end contracts that I have seen as well as a 15% trade kicker. Players can waive that kicker as we know.

Jaylen should get the best possible contract that he can get. Keep in mind that he accepted less money on his last deal. If he had gone the FA route he would have probably made more money and i think Boston would have matched his offer sheet.

Qualifying for a super max deal is extremely difficult. He has earned that deal.

I'm hoping that the Celtics get this deal completed because the longer it drags out the more because at this point we can only have speculations on what is really going on.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:29 pm

Ktron wrote:
gyso wrote:CBP = Click Bait Practitioner

Cool! I like that. I may steal it and use in the future. :>)

Please do.

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:16 pm

The " massive ego" comment is based on what exactly ? The people who should "stay in [their] lanes" are the stooges who write for these amateur online sports sites.They write crap , based on nothing, and half the time their grammar,spelling, and/ or word usage are incorrect.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:25 pm

I would much rather read Dylan Thomas than Dylan Thompson.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:33 pm

I'm still hearing that JB wants a no trade clause.  I do not necessarily believe that is the hold up.  

I understand the 8 years requirement.

However since his contract does not kick in until the 24-25 season he would have 8 years of service in before a new deal goes into effect.   I do not know if that matters but it is an interesting question.

A lot of the high end 5 year contracts that i have seen have a 5th year player option followed by the player becoming an unrestricted FA.   I am quite certain than when JT's deal comes available next summer he is going to get that 5th year option.

JB should not settle for less than he wants.  

I also heard that they are working through incentives.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:54 pm

These are sensible men on both sides. This deal will get done.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:13 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Ktron,

I'm about to show my ignorance again in the team sport arena as I have only my son to fall back on.  He'll be here in NC in a couple of days and I will ask him this.  

I don't get it.  The whole who's #1 thing on a team.  I can almost predict with great accuracy if I were to travel back in time the 60's and asked any of our championship teams who was the #1, they would look at me like I had 3 heads.  And even if one suggested or pointed at Russell or Havlicek or Couzy or Jones (either), or whoever, they would have ran for cover.  It was all about team.  When asked who is the #1 for those teams, they would all point back to the coach.  Something shifted.  I'm going to guess initially it was the money.        

This Who's #1 thing has emerged in our lifetimes.  And in the end, it results in teams getting blown up every single time except for the 50's, 60's and 70's when we went on our tirades.  Hmmmmm.  

Please provide me with some insight as to why NBA players have been transformed ever so gradually during the last 50 years into what we see now as describe above.  

db

P.S.  Thanks, Ktron, for clarifying CBP!  I was about to ask if you hadn't!!  Just like I've introduced IOTMF and IMHBAO, gyso, I hope it sticks!    

Dbrown,
I agree with you and the who’s #1.
Winning should be #1 and I also agree that the coach as in in Red was always the #1.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:51 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/07/brad-stevens-optimistic-on-jaylen-brown-celtics-supermax-extension-talks.html

Brad Stevens ‘optimistic’ on Jaylen Brown, Celtics supermax extension talks

Updated: Jul. 13, 2023, 1:39 a.m.|Published: Jul. 13, 2023, 1:03 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.comSouichi Terada | sterada@masslive.com

LAS VEGAS — While the Celtics have been busy playing through Summer League, the much-anticipated question mark has been Jaylen Brown’s future. As of now, the Celtics and Brown are expected to agree to a supermax extension sometime in the coming days and weeks. But through the opening days in Vegas, no agreement has been reached by the two sides.

The max dollar amount of any supermax extension isn’t up in the air as Brown is eligible for a five-year, $295 million deal. But there have been some outside factors, such as player options and other details, that have contributed to the negotiations. After the C’s beat the Lakers in Summer League action Wednesday, Boston president Brad Stevens detailed his thoughts on the ongoing talks.

“I can’t really talk about it but it’s been all good discussion,” Stevens said. “We want Jaylen to be here for a long, long time, and we’ve made that clear. We’re looking forward to all sitting down and we have time here. I probably shouldn’t say anything else, but I feel optimistic.”

The Celtics already reached a $60 million extension with new trade addition Kristaps Porzingis on Wednesday which leaves Brown’s extension as the likely final major item of business left for the team this offseason.

The Celtics have the ability to offer Brown a starting salary up to 35 percent of the salary cap in a supermax deal for five seasons with the deal kicking in during the 2024-25 season. Brown is expected to push for a trade kicker per league sources as one of the terms of the new contract, a common move for stars around the league.

Any supermax contract will need to be five years according to the CBA but Brown could also push for a player option in the final year of an extension with Boston so he could have the option to reach free agency sooner and lock in another long-term deal in his prime.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:40 am

Reaching a point where, just put it in big headlines when he signs. All the rest of the supposition is really wearing. Who the heck really knows??? No one. Just let me know when it is over
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:24 pm

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 16 minutes ago
According to a league source, Jaylen Brown is headed overseas for an NBPA event and contract negotiations with the Celtics are expected to pause while he’s gone. Both sides remain confident that a deal will be struck, but there will be a delay.

Bob
MY NOTE:  "Both sides remain confident that a deal will be struck" is the key phrase.  This is an agreed upon pause for other previously scheduled affairs, not a stumbling block or impasse. In fact, given they've been working on this the whole week in Vegas I'd say the comfort levels of both parties, and their willingness to take a breather without concern as to loss of momentum, is positive.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:07 pm

worcester wrote:I would much rather read Dylan Thomas than Dylan Thompson.
                                                            in the original Welsh?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next