Celtics trade rumor roundup: Latest reports involving Grant Williams, Kelly Olynyk, Nerlens Noel

+4
Ktron
RosalieTCeltics
dboss
8 posters

Go down

Celtics trade rumor roundup: Latest reports involving Grant Williams, Kelly Olynyk, Nerlens Noel Empty Celtics trade rumor roundup: Latest reports involving Grant Williams, Kelly Olynyk, Nerlens Noel

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:02 am

Celtics trade rumor roundup: Latest reports involving Grant Williams, Kelly Olynyk, Nerlens Noel

WEEI By Scott McLaughlin

The NBA trade deadline is coming up at 3 p.m. on Thursday. What could be the biggest blockbuster of the season came over the weekend when the Nets sent Kyrie Irving to the Mavericks for Spencer Dinwiddie, Dorian Finney-Smith and multiple draft picks.

The Celtics have yet to do anything, but the chatter around them seems to be increasing with a few reports popping up over the last few days.

We know they’ve been linked to Spurs center Jakob Poeltl for a while, and that remains one option. The Athletic’s Shams Charania reiterated the Celtics’ interest in Poeltl last week, and Brian Scalabrine said on WEEI that he would be “all-in” on such a move.

A few other names have surfaced, though. Here’s a look at some recent reports:

- The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor reported on Sunday that “teams have made calls to Boston about Grant Williams.” It seems extremely unlikely that the Celtics would trade a key part of their rotation as they go for a championship unless it’s as part of a package for a significant upgrade. O’Connor notes Williams’ contract situation -- he’s a restricted free agent after the season -- as the reason teams are likely asking about him, but Brad Stevens and Co. can worry about that after the season rather than weaken their roster for what should be an all-in season.

- NBC Sports Boston’s Chris Forsberg reported on Friday night that the Celtics have “real” interest in a reunion with center Kelly Olynyk. Olynyk, of course, spent his first four seasons in Boston from 2013-17. He’s now with Danny Ainge’s Jazz, where he’s averaging 11.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game while shooting 48.8% from the field and 40.4% from three. Olynyk isn’t a traditional center like Poeltl, but his ability to shoot threes and stretch the floor can give opposing defenses problems. Forsberg reports that a potential package could feature Danilo Gallinari, Payton Pritchard and Justin Jackson going the other way to make the money work. The Heat are also reportedly interested in Olynyk.

- The Athletic’s James L. Edwards III reported on Sunday that the Celtics are one of at least six teams that have called the Pistons about center Nerlens Noel. Again, this fits with everything else we’ve been hearing about the C’s looking for frontcourt help. Noel, an Everett native, would be more of a deeper-rotation option than either Poeltl or Olynyk. He has played just 13 games this season, averaging 2.5 points and 2.8 rebounds in 11.4 minutes per game. His $9.2 million salary could be a sticking point in any potential trade.

Back to top Go down

Celtics trade rumor roundup: Latest reports involving Grant Williams, Kelly Olynyk, Nerlens Noel Empty Re: Celtics trade rumor roundup: Latest reports involving Grant Williams, Kelly Olynyk, Nerlens Noel

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:04 am

If you trade Grant Williams you better get in addition to Noel a good snipper from 3 point land!

Back to top Go down

Celtics trade rumor roundup: Latest reports involving Grant Williams, Kelly Olynyk, Nerlens Noel Empty Re: Celtics trade rumor roundup: Latest reports involving Grant Williams, Kelly Olynyk, Nerlens Noel

Post by dboss Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:19 am

If Noel was to get bought out that would be an option to use their DPE.  He has not played much so it would seem possible that the Pistons could do a buyout.

The KO rumor does not excite me in the least.  Why would you trade anyone of value for him.

Grant will not be going anywhere.  He thinks he is worth more than what Boston offered him before the season began.  They will let him go out and sniff around the league and he will come crawling back with his tail between his legs.  

I do not see the Celtics moving any of their core players.  I'm talking about guys that are in the rotation and are playing significant minutes.  Grant falls into that category.  

At the very least we should anticipate that our open roster spot will be filled by using our DPE and we may end up with a bit more depth.  If no buyout candidates emerge, they could break the glass and promote someone from their Maine roster.

The real issue associated with fiddling around with your core rotation guys this late in the season is directly related to chemistry.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:01 pm

dboss, I have to disagree a little with you. Have you watched Grant in the last few weeks? {probably one decent game out of him) His body language on the court is infuriating. He is lucky if he takes 4 shots a game, and misses 3 ot of the 4. I have watched him every game, he is a big disappointing and it seems that the coach is losing faith in him slowly too. So...do not be shocked to see him be mentioned in trade rumors. He is making a big mistake, but all the accolades he got at the end of the year have gone right to his head. He is NOT a lifetime Celtic, I predict that
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:58 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:dboss, I have to disagree a little with you.  Have you watched Grant in the last few weeks?  {probably one decent game out of him)  His body language on the court is infuriating.  He is lucky if he takes 4 shots a game, and misses 3 ot of the 4.  I have watched him every game, he is a big disappointing and it seems that the coach is losing faith in him slowly too.  So...do not be shocked to see him be mentioned in trade rumors.  He is making a big mistake, but all the accolades he got at the end of the year have gone right to his head.  He is NOT a  lifetime Celtic, I predict that

Rosalie

For all we know Brad has told Grant that they have discussed him with other teams and that may be impacting his play. Grant does not look happy out there. Still, it would be a gamble to move him now. The Celtics would have to be getting back a top 8 rotation guy and potential fill in starter. Grants does not make a lot of money to match salaries for a mid-level type of player but perhaps the Celtics will target another player who is still on his rookie salary and maybe they throw in a pick to sweeten the deal.

I guess we will know more by Thursday or many this summer.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:23 pm

Grant has not looked very good lately but let’s not assume that he’s unhappy.

I believe that the downward trajectory can be attributed to Marcus Smart not being out there.
Grant had more shot opportunities earlier in the season and was counted on to knock down 3’s which he did at a high percentage.

Those shot opportunities have dwindled and I don't believe it’s because Grant has suddenly become allergic to playing good basketball..

I think there are 3 maybe even 4 possibilities linked to his downward trend.

1. Marcus being out and Brogdan not really playing a lot of minutes at the point. (Ask Joe why) Ok. I will. Why Joe?

2. If Joe is running anything more than his mouth he’s certainly inserting what he thinks works. Run, gun and bombs away with the 3’s (except when JT decides to walk it up and murder minutes.) That doesn't coincide with the way Grant has been used in the past.
So Coach “Daylight”Mazzulla may have a lot to do with this as well.

3. Grant could be hurt/injured and it’s not being brought to surface. Grant wouldn't say it if it’s so and the team hasn't mentioned it either.

4. Despite his body language, I seriously don’t think Grant has come down with the “Tudes” (bad attitude) I don't think thats who he his. I think more of him as a person and player to believe that he has developed a piss poor attitude and he’s letting it affect his play.

For sure he hasn't played well here lately and it’s concerning. Only time will tell. Personally, despite his ref bitching, I like Grant. I think he is tough minded, works hard at improving his game and is important to the success of this team.
We need him to turn it around and I believe This Head coach and Marcus are major factors in helping Grant get back to the player he was earlier.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:29 pm

Not getting that contract signed is a major issue for him. The less he plays, the more disconnected he becomes. Grant has spent the year talking to more referree’s that anyone on the team, including Tatum. I don’t know what his issue is, but, he has become a player who has gone backwards instead of forward, mostly in the last month or so. I doubt he was told he was being shopped, unless he asked for it.

Joe trusted him enough to put him in the starting lineup at times when Rob was out, so he had the chance to showcase himself. I am disappointed because watching a guy like Grant improve the way he did last year to what I have seen in the last month or more makes it hard to understand. I hope, for his sake, that there is a reason behind this although we will probably never know unless he does get traded and runs his mouth off when he leaves
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:11 pm

John Karalis @John_Karalis
3 hours ago
I don't doubt teams are calling about Grant Williams. I even think the Celtics are engaging in discussions. And if they are, I think it's more to gauge the market for him as a restricted free agent than to actually trade him. This deadline will be informative re: demand for Grant

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:44 pm

Grant also looks like he does on his good days because he is playing off 2 all star wings and a plethora of very good guards that share the ball. Put him on the Pistons or Thunder, nobody would notice him. On the Magic with so many young talented bigs with length, he wouldn’t even make the rotation. There is still a place for him here, he actually can defend Giannis and KD fairly well with his bulk, and if Zion was healthy he would have earned minutes there too. He fills a need here, but is still limited as an undersized stretch 4, I still wish we could trade him for Naz Reid.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:55 pm

Cowed

That is a ridiculous statement about Grant Williams.  I guess you forgot, if Williams did not have a break out game against Milwaukee in the final game by hitting all those 3 pointers - 7 to be correct, we would have had an early summer.

He bailed the Celtics out and their superstars when they again had a subpar game!

BTW Williams 3 point percentage for this year is 41.1%. Higher than our superstars!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:13 pm

That is because he only shoots 3 a game. Sorry, that was last year, have you really watched him this year???? Especially in the last month plus. Sure he has one good game thrown in, but there are many many games he doesn’t even shoot. I know it sounds like I do not like him, funny thing is, I do. I just wish he would play up to his ability
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:22 pm

Rosalie

The 3 point percentage I list is from this season!
Tatum and Brown are not even near that. Below 3.4%!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:34 pm

Sorry Rosalie you cannot see the forest for the trees. The 3 point percentage I quoted for Williams is this years percentage. Brown an Tatum are not even close at about 3.4%.

You want Williams to shoot 3’s get the coach to set up and draw up plays for him so they can help by setting up screens or picks for him. Maybe he is a decoy to pull the defense out to defend him so the paint opens up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:45 pm

You want Williams to shoot 3’s get the coach to set up and draw up plays for him so they can help by setting up screens or picks for him. Maybe he is a decoy to pull the defense out to defend him so the paint opens up

Thats what was happening when he was taking more shots and making them at a high level. Grant is not seeing the ball in those spots as before.
Thats a coaching issue and Marcus has been out.
Sure he’s been less effective lately but thats fixable. If we give up on him I think we’ll live to regret it..

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:52 pm

Bottom line I am a Williams fan!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm

He also goes thru too many stretches where he barely scores and barely rebounds. I know he’s a role player and I do root for him. Lately he’s barely given us anything. Maybe I’m being too harsh and not patient enough. Obviously he has helped us, lately he hasn’t done enough IMHO

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:07 pm

112288 wrote:Bottom line I am a Williams fan!  

He's likely gone at the end of the year anyway. And his play has not been up to his capabilities-possibly due to not being able to reach a deal ona contract. If we can get quality in return then I say do it.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:49 am

Grant's in a slump. It happens. So is Horford. So is Pritchard, where shooting is concerned. Hauser seems to be coming out of an extended one. The difference between Hauser and Grant is that Hauser is damn near useless when he isn't hitting threes. Grant is a versatile defender who goes all out whether he is hitting shots or not. Tatum has slumps. So does Brown. The only guy on the team who apparently doesn't is R Williams, which is a product of his skill set; since he doesn't shoot jump shots, athletic ability, court smarts and energy make him relatively slump proof. Every time somebody goes into a slump, it's like the sky is falling around here. When White was slumping, word was that he was reverting to the mean. Look at him now. He seems to have re-reverted. It was a slump, in my opinion, not an indication that his shooting the ball well in in the early season was a mirage. Guys can improve. They've played 54 games. Guys get tired, physically, mentally, and emotionally. They are human after all. I agree that GW b##ches at the refs too much. BFD. A lot of the refs stink. Tranquilo, gente. We are still in first place. Let's see what happens in the next week.Once Marcus returns, I expect good things to happen. Until then, it's all hands on deck,and the seas may be choppy.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:19 am

jrleftfoot wrote:Grant's in a slump. It happens. So is Horford. So is Pritchard, where shooting is concerned. Hauser seems to be coming out of an extended one. The difference between Hauser and Grant is that Hauser is damn near useless when he isn't hitting threes. Grant is a versatile defender who goes all out whether he is hitting shots or not. Tatum has slumps. So does Brown. The only guy on the team who apparently doesn't is R Williams, which is a product of his skill set; since he doesn't shoot jump shots, athletic ability, court smarts and energy make him relatively slump proof. Every time somebody goes into a slump, it's like the sky is falling around here. When White was slumping, word was that he was reverting to the mean. Look at him now. He seems to have re-reverted. It was a slump, in my opinion, not an indication that his shooting the ball well in in the early season was a mirage. Guys can improve. They've played 54 games. Guys get tired, physically, mentally, and emotionally. They are human after all. I agree that GW b##ches at the refs too much. BFD. A lot of the refs stink. Tranquilo, gente. We are still in first place. Let's see what happens in the next week.Once Marcus returns, I expect good things to happen. Until then, it's all hands on deck,and the seas may be choppy.

Very good points

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down