RIP Willis Reed

5 posters

Go down

RIP Willis Reed Empty RIP Willis Reed

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:43 pm

We lost another great one, loved watching him battle Bill Russell, then later Cowens….great match ups. Bumped into him a few times in the city back in the day, always a class act.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

RIP Willis Reed Empty Re: RIP Willis Reed

Post by Ktron Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:51 pm

He was one of few players that answered me back when I spoke to them.

I remember it to this day.

Back in the day when they used to have double headers at Boston Garden, Knicks were playing Detroit. I was standing like an anxious and excited groupie where the players come out and onto the floor.
I said to Willis, “yall gonna win tonight”? He answered back “Yeaah we’re gonna win this game just for you baby”. Never forgot that. Back then players didn’t say very much like they do now.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:53 am

Being a Celtics fan in Jersey in the late 60's and early 70's wasn't easy. I hated those knicks teams, but always respected them. Willis Reed was always a class act and a gentleman, as well as a great player. RIP legend.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:32 am

Celtics17 wrote:Being a Celtics fan in Jersey in the late 60's and early 70's wasn't easy. I hated those knicks teams, but always respected them. Willis Reed was always a class act and a gentleman, as well as a great player. RIP legend.  

What part of Jersey you from? My same exact situation, grew up in Jersey surrounded by Knick fans….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:16 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Celtics17 wrote:Being a Celtics fan in Jersey in the late 60's and early 70's wasn't easy. I hated those knicks teams, but always respected them. Willis Reed was always a class act and a gentleman, as well as a great player. RIP legend.  

What part of Jersey you from? My same exact situation, grew up in Jersey surrounded by Knick fans….

Cowens

I'm from Long Branch.

I still maintain that if Havlicek didn't hurt his shoulder in Game 3 of the Eastern Finals we would have beaten the Knicks that year LOL.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:37 am

Celtics17 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Cowens

I'm from Long Branch.

I still maintain that if Havlicek didn't hurt his shoulder in Game 3 of the Eastern Finals we would have beaten the Knicks that year LOL.

I used to go to Max’s all the time for hot dogs, love the Jersey shore!!

Agreed on 73, that was the best of the Cowens teams; if not for that injury and Len Bias, we’d easily have 20-21 championships

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by birnam Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:36 pm

[quote="cowens/oldschool"

What part of Jersey you from? My same exact situation, grew up in Jersey surrounded by Knick fans….[/quote]

Same here!  Union, New Jersey

birnam

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 pm

Max’s is still there, although on the third generation. They still serve the same classic hot dogs, and they are still great.

Yes, 72-73 may have been Cowens best year, but he was such a great player that every year he played he was fantastic. I also still think the Celtics teams from 72-76 are underrated. They easily could have won 4 championships. History is more favorable to those Knicks teams that won 2 championships from 69-73.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:42 pm

That Knicks team played great basketball and Willis was a special gladiator.

I can still see him coming back into the game even though he was hurting. It is quite amazing that certain memories leave an indelible mark on us.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:29 pm

birnam wrote:[quote="cowens/oldschool"

Same here!  Union, New Jersey[/quote]

Cool, sure you went to games at Meadowlands vs Nets and there was a ton of green in the stands !!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:48 pm

Celtics17 wrote:Max’s is still there, although on the third generation. They still serve the same classic hot dogs, and they are still great.

Yes, 72-73 may have been Cowens best year, but he was such a great player that every year he played he was fantastic. I also still think the Celtics teams from 72-76 are underrated. They easily could have won 4 championships. History is more favorable to those Knicks teams that won 2 championships from 69-73.

Yes they moved, when I first went to Max’s it was along the beach, smaller place; then I moved into city and went back to Long Branch years later and it had moved, wasn’t next to beach anymore. Glad the hot dogs are still great, heard Frank Sinatra himself would come in on his way to Atlantic City all the time for the doggies.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:30 am

Yes, exactly, they used to be on the boardwalk, and a lot of famous people, including Sinatra, enjoyed their dogs.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down