Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract

+4
RosalieTCeltics
jrleftfoot
dboss
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract Empty Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:31 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/09/celtics-signing-former-kings-center-to-two-way-contract.html

Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract

Published: Sep. 16, 2023, 4:51 p.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics agreed to a two-way contract with former Kings center Neemias Queta a source confirmed to MassLive on Saturday. Shams Charania of Stadium first reported the deal for Boston’s final two-way slot.

The 7-foot center spent the first two years of his pro career with the Kings after he was drafted at No. 39 overall pick in the 2021 NBA Draft.

Queta has appeared in just 20 total NBA games over the last two years in Sacramento on a two-way deal, averaging 7.5 minutes per game in the contest. However, he has been a standout in the G-League, earning first-team honors last year while averaging 16.8 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 2.4 APG and 1.9 BPG in 27.7 MPG during 29 contests for Sacramento’s affiliate. Queta spent his college career at Utah State before joining the Kings.

Queta was initially expected to compete for a roster spot with Sacramento this year after signing a partially guaranteed deal. However, the team waived him last week after agreeing to a deal with JaVale McGee. Massachusetts native Nerlens Noel also was waived by the Kings after the McGee signing.

Queta slots in as the third and final two-way contract for Boston heading into training camp along with guards JD Davison and Jay Scrubb. The 24-year-old will likely compete for third string center minutes with Luke Kornet during camp as Boston looks to bolster its depth behind a frontcourt with durability question marks (Kristaps Porzingis, Robert Williams, Al Horford).

The Celtics still have an open roster spot available on the 15-man roster along with three non-guaranteed deals (Dalano Banton, Svi Myhailiuk, Luke Kornet) in competition for roster spots. Boston’s training camp opens up on October 3rd at the Auerbach Center.

Bob
MY NOTE:  7'0", 245#, 7'4" wingspan, 24 years old.  39th pick in 2021.  149 total NBA minutes in 2 years, but only 29 last season.

Javale McGee is a veteran with 3 rings.  If he plays no more than the two players the Kings cut, Queta and Noel (72 total combined minutes last season), he'll still bring Championship readiness and steadiness to the Kings' locker room.  This was, effectively, a no-brainer for the Sacto front office.

This is Summer League footage from 2 months ago.  That should tell you just how few NBA highlights he has.  He was a 2nd year NBA player in Summer League.  There's nothing wrong with that at all, Grant and Payton both played in SL in their 2nd year and they both had considerably more NBA minutes under their belts at that point, but his highlights should be good because he's mostly going up against freshman meat.  Second year SL players should dominate their first year opponents.

Still a roster spot open. Still a chance for a veteran floor general. Keep hope alive.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract Empty Re: Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract

Post by dboss Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:56 pm

Low risk addition by Brad.

He looks like a legit big with length and athleticism. This move screams break glass in case of a fire. The 2-way option is a great way to stash players that may be needed.

I already have a nickname for him. "Q"
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract Empty Re: Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:51 pm

He looks to be ambidextrous
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:53 pm

dboss wrote:Low risk addition by Brad.

He looks like a legit big with length and athleticism.  This move screams break glass in case of a fire.  The 2-way option is a great way to stash players that may be needed.  

I already have a nickname for him.   "Q"

Last edited by jrleftfoot on Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:05 pm

I like it....no remembering how to spell names, just ask Dboss, I mess up all the time. Most guys get some easy knickname when I am watching games. So..Q does it for me!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:51 pm

Got to stock up the G-League team.

Looks like a fair addition.

I still think they should have stuck with "Red Claws." That green lobster logo just doesn't look healthy.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:46 am

Just read he was 2nd in MVP voting for the G League, looks a lot more athletic than Perk. We might have found something here.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:54 am

There are many fine G league players. To get the MVP runnerup is no small deal.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:52 pm

worcester wrote:There are many fine G league players. To get the MVP runnerup is no small deal.

Exactly what I was thinking, he looks mobile enough. He can only improve all around and will be playing with some serious talent. Off topic, but love we have 2 first round picks in this years draft!! Love alot of the moves Brad has been making 😂🤩

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:25 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I like it....no remembering how to spell names,  just ask Dboss, I mess up all the time.  Most guys get some easy knickname when I am watching games. So..Q does it for me!!!!

I agree, Q works for me as well.  

This guy also approves of using that letter:

Celtics signing former Kings center to two-way contract Cheers11

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:38 pm

Gyso…..a big smile on my face!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down