Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W)

5 posters

Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) Empty Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W)

Post by gyso Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:09 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585801

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) Box_s228
Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) Box_s229
Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) Box_s230

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W)

Post by gyso Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:10 pm

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) Game_f82

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W)

Post by gyso Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:14 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:15 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:22 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:30 pm

Celtics-Hornets takeaways: Pritchard leads C's reserves to dominant win

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-hornets-takeaways-pritchard-leads-015458207.html

Justin Leger
Fri, Apr 12, 2024, 10:16 PM EDT·4 min read

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) Scree521

Celtics-Hornets takeaways: Pritchard leads C's reserves to dominant win originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

The Boston Celtics' reserves got a chance to shine in Friday night's showdown with the Charlotte Hornets, and they took advantage of their opportunity.

With the top six out for the penultimate game of their regular season, the C's went with a starting lineup of Payton Pritchard, Svi Mykhailuk, Jaden Springer, Sam Hauser, and Luke Kornet. Neemias Queta, Jordan Walsh, JD Davison, and Drew Peterson were recalled from Maine to get minutes on the big stage.

The "Stay Ready" group put on an offensive clinic in their 131-98 rout of the Hornets. Pritchard led the way with a career-high 31 points. Hauser, Kornet, and Queta chipped in 16 apiece. All 11 Celtics scored in the lopsided victory.

The C's will wrap up their regular season against the Washington Wizards on "Mike Gorman Day" this Sunday at TD Garden. The game is set to tip off at 1 p.m. ET right here on NBC Sports Boston.

First, here are three takeaways from Friday's action.

Payton Pritchard plays the starring role

On many other NBA rosters, Pritchard would be a regular starter. And a good one at that.

The Celtics' prized bench guard showed his potential again in his fourth start of the season. Leading the reserves with the top six sidelined, Pritchard went off for 13 points and five assists in the first quarter. It was the highest-scoring opening frame of his NBA career and according to Celtics stats guru Dick Lipe, he became the first C's player since Isaiah Thomas in Jan. 2017 with 13 points and five assists in a first quarter.

Pritchard scored or assisted on 24 of the Celtics' first 30 points. He stayed hot in the second quarter to enter the half with 23 points and nine assists. He's the first Celtic in the play-by-play era with those numbers in the first half of a game, per Dick Lipe.

Pritchard finished with a career-high 31 points (14-21 FG), accomplishing the feat with three minutes left in the third quarter. He dished 11 assists -- two shy of his career-high -- while adding two rebounds and a steal in 31 minutes.

The Mainers get some minutes

Friday's game presented the perfect opportunity to give the Maine Celtics standouts more time on the TD Garden parquet. Recent draft picks Jordan Walsh and JD Davison joined the team along with Drew Peterson and Neemias Queta, who signed a full NBA contract earlier this week.

Walsh, Boston's lone pick in the 2023 draft, recorded the first made 3-pointer of his NBA career early in the game:

He notched eight points (3-4 FG), three rebounds, and a steal in 20 minutes.

Davison, a second-round pick in 2022, showed off his playmaking ability with seven assists in 17 minutes. He also tallied seven points (3-7 FG) and four rebounds.

Queta, the star of Maine's G League Finals Game 1 win on Tuesday, led the bench with 16 points on 8-of-10 from the floor. In addition, he had six rebounds, five assists, and two steals in 18 minutes.

Peterson logged the first points of his Celtics career during the fourth quarter. The sharpshooter ended with eight points (3-4 FG) in 12 minutes.

The Maine Celtics will play the decisive Game 3 of the G League Finals on Monday against the Oklahoma City Blue.

Bounce-back effort on the boards

The Celtics have struggled in the rebounding department lately, including in their last two losses to Milwaukee and New York. Perhaps some of their issues can be attributed to a lack of effort in meaningless regular-season games and the playoffs looming.

The reserves didn't lack effort Friday against Charlotte, however. They dominated the boards 53-33, including 16 offensive rebounds to the Hornets' four. They had an 18-8 advantage in second-chance points.

Kornet contributed 10 rebounds to go with his 16 points, marking his first double-double since 2019. Oshae Brissett brought the energy off the bench, racking up a whopping 11 boards (six offensive) in 15 minutes. He added eight points, an assist, and a steal.

Jaden Springer chipped in six rebounds in an outstanding defensive performance that included three steals. He also got the job done on the offensive end with 11 points.

The Celtics regulars will look to replicate the reserves' effort when the playoffs get underway later this month.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:19 am

it was good to see the kids play as hard as they did last night. We have some talent up in Maine, hope they win the final game. They have busted their backs this year
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:06 pm

It's hard to believe the Hornets are this bad.  I mean, c'mon, we didn't play any of our top 6 players.  It was our 7-15 vs their entire squad, and it was a 33 point blowout.

Brad trading Brogdon in order to mollify Payton's competitive nature and resign him to a 4 year $30M deal this past summer is looking like pure genius now.  I don't know if he could start on a team competing for a Championship but he sure could start on weaker teams.  When you have a starter-anywhere-else-but-here coming off your bench you have great depth.  That's what we had with Malcolm last year, and he was NBA 6th Man (if he and The Time Lord weren't injured we might have gone further in the playoffs).  Payton is still 7th in the NBA in assist-to-turnover ratio at 4.6:1, just .1 behind Halliburton and VanVleet @ 4.7.  That's the most impressive improvement in his game this year, for me.  I now trust him to run an NBA offense, and that is why he could start on some other team.

Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 10 hours ago
Pritchard/Gallinari & draft capital for Poetl last deadline has quietly become one of those great “what if” in a bad way trades that didn’t happen. Not quite the Justise Winslow draft night deal, but would’ve toppled dominos.

Remember that crazy attempt by Danny to give away the store so he could move up and draft Justise Winslow? Winslow is now playing for the Raptors...on their G-league team. Everybody screws up, including Pat Riley. I bet Riley wishes he could have done that one over again.

As Rosalie pointed out we have some talent in Maine.  

Walsh is shooting 36% from 3 in Maine.  That is mediocre, for sure, but it's better than the 27.8% he shot at Arkansas.  That's not what will get him called up to Boston, and he knows it.  His calling card is defense.  He needs to become the absolute lockdown defender I believe he can be.  He just turned 20 40 days ago.  Deep breath, young fella, and focus on the long game.

Davison with 7 assists and only 1 turnover.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that he's still only shooting 26.6% from 3 in Maine.  In today's NBA players, other than some centers, have to be able to catch-and-shoot open 3s with a high degree of efficiency.  Unlike Walsh, Davison's 3pt fg% is lower this year than last year.  I don't get it, I really don't.  EVERYBODY knows that's his weak spot.  If I was him I'd be living in the gym doing nothing but launching 1000 3s every day.  

Q wants to play.  16 points on 8-10, 6 rebounds, 4 of them offensive, and 5 assists without a turnover.  2 steals.  It seems to me that a front court of Z, Al, Luke, X and Q is a lot of centers.  4 pure centers and one C/F.  Z is signed long-term.  Al has one more year @ $9.4M.  Will we keep Luke and X and Q next year?  I never thought I'd say this but I'd be sorry to see Luke go.  He has been the biggest surprise of the past 1 1/2 years, and it's been a pleasant one.

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) GLBBZEWXAAA4MZU?format=jpg

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) GLBBZHvW4AAlWtH?format=jpg

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
yesterday
If the Celtics beat the Wizards by 25 or more Sunday, they'll finish as the 2nd most dominant home team in NBA history.

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) GLA6298WMAAItOG?format=jpg

Cameron Tabatabaie
@CTabatabaie
The Celtics are now tied for the 4th best record in franchise history

Post Game - Celtics vs. Charlotte Hornets - Monday, April 12 (W) GLAwcNjW8AA_MHw?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:17 pm

I really enjoyed watching our deep, deep reserves guys get an opportunity for extended  play.

PP is a player that is going to defer to the pecking order when he comes off the pine.  PP is the fastest PG on the team in terms of end to end up-tempo basketball.  I had surmised that his size would limit his ability to get to the rim.  I knew that he was more than capable of knocking down spot up 3's.  At the very least I knew that his quickness and anticipation would allow him to mirror opponents when playing defense.  

Last year he got squeezed out of an opportunity to really impact winning.  He was clearly not happy about that.  If you are a flat out baller like pp is, you should not settle for table scraps.

So he has the BEST pure handle of anyone on the team.  Combine that ability with lightening quickness and he is a guy that can get his shot off.  This season the single biggest improvement has been his ability to not only get to the basket but deal out hits against the opponents that has provided enough separation at the rim for him to score. One must understand the laws of physics.  He creates enough force to bump guys off of him.  His handle and quickness has provided opportunities to drive, stop and pull up in the midrange game for wide open jumpers.  In sum, PP has turned into a 3 level scorer.  

It is easy to see why Brad decided to turn Queta into a regular asset.   With our depth at center there is no good reason why we should not win the battle on the glass.  

It looks like rookie Jordon Walsh has become a better 3 point shooter.  He could find himself on the active roster next year.

Did you know that Drew Peterson (a two way guy) is 6' 9"   He did not get to play a lot of minutes last night because CJ overused ski  ( do not try to play me 2-13 34 minutes)    Peterson can play.

Jayden Springer was 'theft by taking'   That kid is a very physical defender.  He will need to continue working on his handle and shooting but if one of our guards picks up 2 early fouls in a game and you need intense defensive pressure on the perimeter, he could fill that role.

Hats off to the G League guys who wanted to be in Boston even though they have a championship game on Monday.

Brad Stevens has stocked the Celtics with developmental talent that will help them build out this team well into the future.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:32 pm

Boy the rumor mill is out there hot and heavy, just 3 days after Jrue signing. Now I have seen on more than one site, Derrick back to Spurts, Kornet to Memphis, i cannot imagine celtics giving up on White, but these guys are out there. Heavy, whis has Steve Bullpett as a main writer, is constantly out there spouting off. Let's get thru this year firsst
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:09 pm

Rosalie

You might want hit the ignore button.

Brad moves in stealth mode.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:19 pm

I agree
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:15 am

This was really good for the starters to witness from the bench.  If these performances from 6/7-15 from the 4th quarter of the Knicks game through last night don't pull the non-rebounding, brick-laying heads out the starting 6's asses then let's quit kidding ourselves and just dump to MIA/PHI/IND in the first round and call it quits.  

This was a spectacular showcase of just how into it the reserves and rotation guys are about getting the job done and winning a championship.  They have clearly lobbed the ball back into the starters court saying/implying that coming up short of a championship will not be our fault.  That will all fall on the starting 6.  And those 6 better clean out the loses to MIL and NYK in a hurry.

Yes, it was against the hapless Hornets.  Sunday's game will be similar vs. DET.  But the bench has their game together.  So do the starters but they had a lapse here this week.  Maybe it was just an eff you for a great season and give us a couple of games from our huge season accumulated equity stack.  I can accept that.    

Whoever we draw first and second rounds our execution needs to be a huge, unmistakable statement.  I hope this is not going to drag on like 2008, nail biting until the end.  I think this team is significantly better than that team and will perform much better than that team did.  Anything less than a 4-0 sweep or 4-1 G-Sweep in the first two rounds is going to bring this team's heart/gut issues back up again.  Then the media dumping deluge will continue until we inevitably crack under the pressure, bow out and finally satisfy the goal they have wanted all along...A Celtics-less playoffs when it really matters.  

I expect this team to destroy the first two rounds opponents we meet.  Not asking for much.  But this team has the heart and desire to finally pull this off.  

Main Goals if things play out?

1.  Destroy/Humiliate MIA if they are our 1st Round opponent, and by destroy/humiliate, I mean 40+ point victories for 4 straight games.  There is absolutely no reason why the playoffs should be any different than the regular season.  None.  MIA needs to learn something.  Nobody but MIA fans wants to see the Little Engine That Could in the Finals, much less even make it out of the first round.  Nobody wants to see a really shitty team bumble through the regular season, stumble into the playoffs and all the sudden mysteriously ramp up for the playoffs and pull a miracle run.  No one.  Now admittedly we got caught with our pants down last playoffs.  I'm 99% confident those days are behind us starting next weekend.

2.  Neutralize/Lock up Giannis and Lillard, 1-on-1.  Have the rest of the Bucks beat us.  Jrue's going to be busy.  This is what we got him for.

3.  Neutralize/Lock up Jokic and Murray, 1-on-1.  Have the rest of the Nuggets beat us.  Nuggets don't make it?  I'm comfortable with anyone else in the Finals if we make it and winning it as handily as DEN did last year.

OK.  That's enough ranting for now.  It's the last day of the regular season.   Let's wrap it up and take whoever we've got coming out to the woodshed.  

db

P.S. And just in case anyone is wondering, NYK's fall under the Little Engine That Could as well. No one wants to see them beyond the 2nd Round either. Thibs has done well up there but not this year. They are earning it and MIA should take note.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down