Boston Celtics Offseason Primer - 2024

+2
bobheckler
gyso
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boston Celtics Offseason Primer - 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: Boston Celtics Offseason Primer - 2024

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:20 pm

here is a question. when will JT's yet to be signed extension kick in?

JT is extension eligible this summer. He still has 2 years remaining on his 5 year deal 2024-25 at $34.8 Million and 2025-26 at $37 million. Therefore I believe new extension money would not kick in to the 2026-27 season.

The contracts for JB and JT became even more staggered because JB was coming off a 4 year deal but JT had signed for 5 years.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics Offseason Primer - 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: Boston Celtics Offseason Primer - 2024

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:34 am

“I would just say that I’m not going to get into the particulars of what decisions we’ll make with each guy and their contracts,” Stevens said. “But I will say we want (Sam) Hauser to be here for a long time.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Interesting
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:33 pm

Now that Sam's future with the Celtics looks bright, my attention is focused on Kornet and Tillman.

Kornet with 7 years in has a min salary for a vet at $2.8 million.  He made $2.4 million last season.  I can see something in the $3 million range.  Maybe they offer 2 years.

Tillman is probably looking at his YOS (years of service) vet minimum of $2.24 million.

Both Kornet and Tillman are unrestricted free agents.

By the way "the NBA reimburses teams for the amount over the two YOS veteran minimum, provided the contract is a one-year minimum deal."

Queta is the easy choice.  The Celtics have a club option for $2.196 million.

Securing our center depth has been elevated to an area of concern because of the KP injury.

If both Kornet and Tillman agree to return at a price equal to their prior salaries plus a small increase, we will be all set.

IMO, Queta is a lock.  If I had to choose between Kornet and Tillman I would probably go with Tillman because of position flexibility.  There are a few veteran centers out there that would be happy to join the Celtics on a vet minimum contract.  Theis would probably be the best fit of the group since he already played with the Jays, AH and Derrick White.  He is coming off of a vet minimum deal as well.

I think that maintaining a high level of continuity will factor into the Celtics decision making.  And they need to be more mindful than ever about adding salary.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:25 pm

Here are all the salaries of NBA centers, sorted by AAV.

You can sort them in other ways, once you get there.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/contracts/_/position/c/sort/average/dir/desc

Xavier Tillman and Luke Kornet most likely will be getting a raise. Especially Luke. He could be 1st big off the bench for many teams.

I'm guessing $3-5M average with a three-year 2-1 structure. The first two guaranteed, the third with a team option. They can pay more upfront if they get an exit ramp for the third year.

I base this on fit, skill set and window. Also, continuity.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:00 am

Celtics tender qualifying offers to NBA champs Drew Peterson and Neemias Queta, JD Davison set to become unrestricted free agent

https://www.celticsblog.com/

By Bill Sy@deliberatepix  Jun 30, 2024, 9:35am EDT  4 Comments / 4 New

Boston Celtics Offseason Primer - 2024 - Page 2 Scree557

On the eve of free agency, the Celtics gave themselves more flexibility heading into the offseason. After not picking up a team option on Neemias Queta, they did extend him a qualifying offer per former CelticsBlogger and Spotrac’s Keith Smith. That allows Boston to match any offers on the promising center.

The Celtics also did the same with Drew Peterson who spent most of his time in Maine last season. Peterson averaged 16.1 points with Boston’s G League affiliate and shot nearly 37% from behind the arc.

Both Queta and Peterson are eligible for another season on two-way deals.

JD Davison, who was drafted #53 by the Celtics in 2022 and has spent the last two years on two-ways, was not tendered a qualifying offer. However, per Smith, there is interest in Davison returning for a third developmental season in Maine. He raised his scoring average from 12.5 to 20.8 points and been an assist machine with nearly nine per game over his last two years.

Anton Watson, Boston’s 54th selection in the 2024 NBA Draft, is expected to join the team on one of the Celtics’ three two-way slots.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:23 am

I have stated before, I like Drew Peterson and would like to see him get a shot. Obviously, Celtics must like him enough to keep him on. I figured that was what was going on with Queta, I still worry about that position. With KP out for so long, who is out there that they could sign??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:30 pm

The Celtics will return to the court with everyone from last year except Ski and Brissett.

I feel good about our center depth even though KP  will not be available right away.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2