gyso
dboss
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
8 posters

Go down

KP surgery Empty KP surgery

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:22 pm

I guess Porzingas has his surgery, all came out ok but....4-6 month recovery?? UGH
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

KP surgery Empty Re: KP surgery

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:48 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/06/celtics-reveal-kristaps-porzingis-return-timeline-after-leg-surgery.html

Celtics reveal Kristaps Porzingis return timeline after leg surgery

Published: Jun. 27, 2024, 11:00 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics will be without Kristaps Porzingis for at least the first month of the regular season after the center underwent successful surgery to repair a torn retinaculum and dislocated posterior tibialis tendon. Boston announced Porzingis would miss the next 5-6 months as he recovers from the surgery.

That timeline will likely make Porzingis miss at least a quarter of the regular season due to the surgery. Boston played their 18th game on Nov. 27 last year and had played 30 games overall by Dec. 27, giving a potential range of time missed based on the Celtics timeline.

Porzingis had delayed surgery after the Celtics Finals win in hopes of suiting up for Latvia in the Olympics. However, his condition did not allow for him to play through the injury as he did in Game 5 of the Celtics title-clinching win over the Mavericks last week.

The injury timeline should put an additional focus on the Celtics heading into free agency to shore up their front court options with Porzingis sidelined. Al Horford will be back to man starting center in place of Porzingis but backup reserves Luke Kornet and Xavier Tillman are both set to hit unrestricted free agency on Sunday. Boston also has a team option on big man Neemias Queta.

The Celtics passed on adding a big man with the No. 30 overall pick, instead selecting a sharpshooting wing in Baylor Scheierman. The team has more one pick at No. 54 for the second day of the NBA Draft. They will also have the ability to offer veteran’s minimum contracts on the free agent market. NBA free agency begins on Sunday night at 6 p.m. ET.

Bob
MY NOTE:  6 months from now is the end of December, 5 months would be the end of November, obviously.  Last year our season started vs the Knicks on 10/25/23.  So he'd be missing a minimum of 5 weeks of the season, a maximum (assuming no set backs) of 9 weeks.  On 11/28 we played our 18th game vs Chicago and played our 30th game on 12/28.  That's 22% and 37% of our regular 82 game season, respectively.  So, Z will be missing a lot.  Brad needs to lock up Luke and/or X.  Furthermore, even if he does that, we're down to just one perimeter shooting big in Al and that is a definite hole.  Signing a brute for the vet minimum, like Drummond, doesn't address that.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:11 pm

It is a tough pill to swallow but I know most everyone had some level of concern about KP staying healthy.

6 months recovery seems optimistic.  How about he is done for next season?

The Celtics will just play less 5 out ball next season.  We may see a bit more small ball sets Tillman or JT at the 5.  We are still going to be a really good team.  We still have a collection of 3 point shooters and with the addition of Baylor that collection got even bigger.  

The Celtics will still need to draft a  5 that can stretch the floor at some point.

With KP missing 25 regular season games and 12 playoff games, the Celtics were still able to win basketball games due to the quality of their depth.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:46 pm

We need to sign Luke and X. Part of the agreement is based on incentives. The incentives are:

Make 100 threes in the regular season - Payout $1.0M

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:59 pm

I am not ready to say he is gone for the season, but he is a big guy, so i am sure coming back is going to be a project. There is not a lot out there to go after, i really liked the way Tillman fit in with this team. He is not a real BIG like KP but he is a bull and played hard when he got out there. Luke? He could be looking for a bigger payday. Be careful what you wish for big guy you could find yourself being shipped here and there if it doesn’t work out. Look at poor Malcolm Brogden, and maybe even Marcus Smart who may end up.getting moved if you listen to rumors
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:55 am

Geez 5-6 months. I don't think he's done for the season. The Celtics will rehab him slowly. No one seems to know a lot about this injury. Some described it as carpal tunnel of the foot. I am hopeful he will be back by November/December. If any one has any insight into recovery time on this kind of injury it would be helpful.

I hope they resign Tillman. I think Al, Queta, and Tillman can hold the fort till KP returns.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:18 am

Well of course out for the season is a worst case scenario.

But the Celtics need to prepare themselves for that possibility.  Recovery times for that particular injury have a wide range of time frames.  I have read that it could take anywhere from 3 months to a full year.

Every person heals differently.   KP is an injury prone player that has expeienced multiple issues with his legs.  I will hope for the best.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:01 pm

I would not be against Theis being pursued if available. He works welll with JT and JB
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:28 pm

Theis is interesting. He can shoot the three. Just not sure what he has left in the tank or what is his contract situation .
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:41 pm

I see no reason why Theis would be heading back here (for a 3rd time) We do have depth at center.

I expect Brad to keep an open roster spot and when the calendar turns over to 2025 he will make a move if necessary to sure up our center position.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:47 pm

If Kornet leaves, the Celtics could probably sign Theis to a vet minimum deal.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:59 pm

We definitely need someone that can step up as Al’s backup until KP returns. I don’t think we can expect Al to maintain the high level he played at this past season. There are some good options in Kornet, Queta, Tillman and maybe Theis. The guy that wins this job has to be able to play an effective 20 minutes a game.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:39 pm

Celtics17 wrote:We definitely need someone that can step up as Al’s backup until KP returns. I don’t think we can expect Al to maintain the high level he played at this past season. There are some good options in  Kornet, Queta, Tillman and maybe Theis. The guy that wins this job has to be able to play an effective 20 minutes a game.

Depending on matchups they could rotate 3 centers into the game. Also I have a feeling we may see more small ball lineups to take advantage of our depth of playmakers and 3 point shooters. Sometimes they may rotate 2 centers. Not having KP is a big loss but this is a deep team that can play different ways and still be effective.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:41 pm

So the question is….Is Theis even available or would a trade have to be facilitated?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:48 pm

Theis is a UFA, so he’s available. Agree with DBoss, we can play a lot of ways. Small ball lineups, seeing Queta or Tillman improve will be fun. However, no sugar coating it, we need KP to be the best version of the Celtics.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:46 pm

dboss wrote:
Celtics17 wrote:We definitely need someone that can step up as Al’s backup until KP returns. I don’t think we can expect Al to maintain the high level he played at this past season. There are some good options in  Kornet, Queta, Tillman and maybe Theis. The guy that wins this job has to be able to play an effective 20 minutes a game.

Depending on matchups they could rotate 3 centers into the game.  Also I have a feeling we may see more small ball lineups to take advantage of our depth of playmakers and 3 point shooters.   Sometimes they may rotate 2 centers.  Not having KP is a big loss but this is a deep team that can play different ways and still be effective.

I loved the way we looked on the floor with KP, what is amazing is our record without him!! Coach Joe did a masterful job mixing and matching players whenever Zinger was out and should have been given more credit for the team barely missing a beat record wise.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:20 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:

Depending on matchups they could rotate 3 centers into the game.  Also I have a feeling we may see more small ball lineups to take advantage of our depth of playmakers and 3 point shooters.   Sometimes they may rotate 2 centers.  Not having KP is a big loss but this is a deep team that can play different ways and still be effective.

I loved the way we looked on the floor with KP, what is amazing is our record without him!! Coach Joe did a masterful job mixing and matching players whenever Zinger was out and should have been given more credit for the team barely missing a beat record wise.

True.

Looks like center by committee for at least the first half of the coming season. With a strong 7-man rotation in the lineup otherwise, it could work again.

Several free agent centers are available in the bargain cost range. None are perfect, and they don’t need to be well rounded as long as they can contribute a specific skill or two; rebounding or defense for example.

Maybe Kornet sticks around. Who knows, maybe Tillman can be retained. Queta could continue to be an experiment of sorts; he might even help. Names like Bamba, Plumlee, Len, Eubanks, and Bitadze are floating around looking for work. Something will be patched together.

Going forward, a true permanent center will need to be found. That should be a project for the ‘25 - ‘26 season. If Porzingis is still around by then, he could fit into the role Horford played this year. Part-time play might extend his value and career by a year or two.

If White and Hauser can be signed to new deals, a solid six outside the center position should allow the team to stay very competitive.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:36 pm

I've said this before but next season, once he's on the court, KP needs to have a run like AD just had in terms of staying on the court injury free.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down