dbrown4
bobc33
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
willjr
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

CELTICS UP FOR SALE?! - Page 4 Empty Re: CELTICS UP FOR SALE?!

Post by worcester Tue Aug 20, 2024 12:38 pm

So you are saying, dboss, you'd prefer a mega billionaire to Heckler and me?
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:36 pm

worcester wrote:So you are saying, dboss, you'd prefer a mega billionaire to Heckler and me?

Worcester,

Well, he does have the advantage of being able to dangle a trip to Earth orbit in front of prospective signees.  For us to match that it would require us to obtain some stuff that is not legal AND isn't currently being tested for by the NBA.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:07 pm

YES YES YES...ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Aug 20, 2024 2:18 pm

dboss wrote:Checking on the source of this latest rumor, I have determined that it was generated by Bill Simmons on a recent podcast.  As other media outlets pick up the story, it has spread like another variant of Covid 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E3AYG-CyQA&t=314s

I for one hope that this rumor is true.  It makes a lot of sense to me.  Bezos is superrich.  My lament over the long term impact of the new CBA and how draconian tax penalties could eventually rip this team apart, is a problem in search of a solution.

Enter Jeff Bezos who has enough liquidity to pay cash for the Boston Celtics.  The big piece of the team is owned by Wyc who is ready to cash out.  While the remaining owners could be potential buyers as a collective group, they are not on the same financial level as Bezos (in the 200 billion dollar range)

As we know, Amazon (Jeff Bezos) is a player in the NBA with respect to broadcasting NBA games.  He has shown interest in purchasing a professional sports team.  The Boston Celtics are one of the very few premier franchises in sports history.  

The Celtics arena, which they lease, is already 20 years old.  Bezos could come in and build a new state of the arts arena by himself or in a joint private/public partnership like the way Steve Ballmer has done for his Clippers.  

I give him a thumbs up.

I would be in for this one, too.

A little shot of something new for Boston and the league. Bezos would have the resources to look at the arena situation and maybe get the Celtics a better deal or their own building. Hopefully in Boston.

I'm not certain, however, that Bezos or any other potential owner is going to want to live deep in luxury tax territory. If you're successful enough to buy the team you're smart enough to know paying out at that level is financially foolish. I think current or future ownership groups will want to shed some weighty contracts after this season.

Amazon Prime along with that season ticket?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:38 am

Regarding the luxury taxes and our next owner, wealthy people are wealthy and stay wealthy for several reasons.  Throwing good money after bad they run from that like the plague.  If you throw good money away, God takes it from you at the very least.  Then the public quits footing the bills.  

Now, these "taxes" are self contained.  They get recycled back amongst the other teams.  Not saying I'm a fan of this but that's what happens in my limited understanding. 

I definitely wouldn't mind Bezos as owner so I can keep a better eye on him.  I own a miniscule portion of Amazon stock.  I also use the crap out of them ordering profusely at least a couple times a week.  And I ain't the only one.   But those shares are in my Roth IRA so I hope it continues to go through the roof!!  Uncle Sam can't touch that, neither on the ride up nor the $ coming out.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:29 am

NYCelt wrote:
dboss wrote:Checking on the source of this latest rumor, I have determined that it was generated by Bill Simmons on a recent podcast.  As other media outlets pick up the story, it has spread like another variant of Covid 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E3AYG-CyQA&t=314s

I for one hope that this rumor is true.  It makes a lot of sense to me.  Bezos is superrich.  My lament over the long term impact of the new CBA and how draconian tax penalties could eventually rip this team apart, is a problem in search of a solution.

Enter Jeff Bezos who has enough liquidity to pay cash for the Boston Celtics.  The big piece of the team is owned by Wyc who is ready to cash out.  While the remaining owners could be potential buyers as a collective group, they are not on the same financial level as Bezos (in the 200 billion dollar range)

As we know, Amazon (Jeff Bezos) is a player in the NBA with respect to broadcasting NBA games.  He has shown interest in purchasing a professional sports team.  The Boston Celtics are one of the very few premier franchises in sports history.  

The Celtics arena, which they lease, is already 20 years old.  Bezos could come in and build a new state of the arts arena by himself or in a joint private/public partnership like the way Steve Ballmer has done for his Clippers.  

I give him a thumbs up.

I would be in for this one, too.

A little shot of something new for Boston and the league. Bezos would have the resources to look at the arena situation and maybe get the Celtics a better deal or their own building. Hopefully in Boston.

I'm not certain, however, that Bezos or any other potential owner is going to want to live deep in luxury tax territory. If you're successful enough to buy the team you're smart enough to know paying out at that level is financially foolish. I think current or future ownership groups will want to shed some weighty contracts after this season.

Amazon Prime along with that season ticket?

Like most things that Bill Simmons says, Bezos is not happening. It's truly amazing Simmons even has a forum. He's never correct. It's embarrassing he's a Celtics fan.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:07 am

Celtic17,

There goes the new Amazon Arena.

Simmons will come up with something new soon, I’m sure.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:11 am

dbrown4 wrote:Regarding the luxury taxes and our next owner, wealthy people are wealthy and stay wealthy for several reasons.  Throwing good money after bad they run from that like the plague.  If you throw good money away, God takes it from you at the very least.  Then the public quits footing the bills.  

Now, these "taxes" are self contained.  They get recycled back amongst the other teams.  Not saying I'm a fan of this but that's what happens in my limited understanding. 

I definitely wouldn't mind Bezos as owner so I can keep a better eye on him.  I own a miniscule portion of Amazon stock.  I also use the crap out of them ordering profusely at least a couple times a week.  And I ain't the only one.   But those shares are in my Roth IRA so I hope it continues to go through the roof!!  Uncle Sam can't touch that, neither on the ride up nor the $ coming out.  

db

Since it turns out we won’t be cheering for Bezos as the owner, we will just keep rooting for AMZN shares to keep rising.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:13 pm

AMEN to that, NYCelt!!  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:10 am

NYCelt wrote:Celtic17,

There goes the new Amazon Arena.

Simmons will come up with something new soon, I’m sure.

NY Celt

Yeah too bad, but that's why you can't rely on Simmons. Didn't he say the Celtics were going to draft Bronny just to block the Lakers? What a fool Laughing

Agree with you guys hope AMZN shares keep rising.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4