CLIFF RAY - THE REAL STORY ON WHY HE LEFT BOSTON

+3
Sam
jeb
7 posters

Go down

CLIFF RAY - THE REAL STORY ON WHY HE LEFT BOSTON Empty CLIFF RAY - THE REAL STORY ON WHY HE LEFT BOSTON

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:28 pm

I saw this in the New York Post today. If true who really has any security?

January 04, 2011
Vecsey says Celtics kicked Clifford Ray to curb

An agreement eventually was signed by Ray, who was pressured by team president Danny Ainge to sign by a certain date (without getting lawyers involved) or forget it. Ray, the 1974-75 champion Warriors' starting center, received $100,000 to go away quietly, enough to keep him and his family (including a 13-year-old son) going for a year or so.

Additionally, the Celtics approved medical attention for Ray, specifically for an MRSA infection he contracted in his foot several years ago while working (hence, the boot he wore so long) in Boston's contaminated practice facility; Paul Pierce and Delonte West also got sick.

Had Ray not been in Minnesota last summer and gone, at the urging of his girlfriend, to the Mayo Clinic, doctors told him he was within days of having his foot amputated. Rivers told Boston reporters he had no room in back of the bench for Ray because newly hired first assistant Lawrence Frank's deal allowed him to enlist a friend.

True enough. But the real reason Ray wasn't invited back is because Rivers didn't think he was healthy enough to get out on the floor and coach. Like the infection was Ray's fault. Like Rivers didn't know Ray was ailing for years. Like he couldn't have reached that conclusion last June so that Ray would've had ample time to find work elsewhere.

Call me cold-hearted, but if Peter Vecsey is right (and that's a gigantic IF), I don't have a problem with the Celtics terminating Clifford Ray.

If the foot was limiting his ability to coach effectively, then the team was well within its rights to move in another direction.

One could interpret the team's offer of $100,000 as a generous parting gift, especially when coaches are fired and hired at the drop of a hat.

I feel for Clifford Ray, but I don't think Vecsey's portrayal of the Celtics is a fair one.

Back to top Go down

CLIFF RAY - THE REAL STORY ON WHY HE LEFT BOSTON Empty Re: CLIFF RAY - THE REAL STORY ON WHY HE LEFT BOSTON

Post by jeb Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:58 pm

people are always lookin to shit on the Celtics at every chance...why because they want to paint the whole world the same shit brown they see all around them every day.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

CLIFF RAY - THE REAL STORY ON WHY HE LEFT BOSTON Empty Re: CLIFF RAY - THE REAL STORY ON WHY HE LEFT BOSTON

Post by Sam Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I think Cowens has communicated with Vescey. Maybe Cow has some perspective on this. If not Cow, I apologize and it's Steve.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Little about this story rings true to me. If someone contracts a MRSA infection during employment and can no longer work, they're usually entitled to ongoing medical care and a long term disability benefit.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:34 pm

You are right, if there is truth to this story, then the Celtics did right by Ray and gave him a generous gift of $100,000 and kept his personal life quiet. Everyone know that the younger players loved working with Ray when he first came here to Boston, so why would they let him go unless there were specific
reasons. Look at all the football coaches who got fired in the last month or so,
no loyalty there was there? Why should the Celtics be described as the bad guys in this?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:02 am

RTC, because it sells lots of newspapers, sadly enough.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 am

sam
I was in touch with Vescey alot during the 08 championship season,he liked a thread I started on the bdc comparing Pierce to Jordan,where I acknowledged Jordan could rightfully be called the best,but Pierce could still get his points on the great one and give him all he could handle.Then we kept on touch,he had some funny quips on Steven A Smith,haven't bantered with him in a while.
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down