+6
beat
jeb
worcester
LACELTFAN
Sam
10 posters

Go down

MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE - Shaq & MD Out Tomorrow - West Catch & Shoot Empty MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE - Shaq & MD Out Tomorrow - West Catch & Shoot

Post by 112288 Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Celtics center Shaquille O'Neal (hip) and reserve swingman Marquis Daniels (family issue) sat out Monday's 75-minute session and, while coach Doc Rivers dubbed the latter "50/50" for Tuesday's game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, it looks like O'Neal will miss at least the next two games.

O'Neal tweaked his right hip during the first quarter of Friday's win over the Utah Jazz. He did not travel with the team for Saturday's loss in Washington and Rivers suggested the team will not take him on the start of a four-game west coast road trip later this week.

"It’s his hip. It’s locked," said Rivers. "I don’t know what the hell that means. I don’t know if there's a key you go get or something like that. That's all it is. It's not a serious injury, but he’s also 38 years old. We’re going to be very cautious.

"I know [O'Neal will] miss [Tuesday] unless something happens with a miracle. And the flight to Portland [for Thursday's game vs. the Trial Blazers] is a difficult flight, seven hours or whatever. I, personally, think that would be tough for him. After that, he's pretty much available, but we want to avoid back-to-backs if we can."

Reading between the lines, it appears the Celtics could potentially fly O'Neal to Phoenix, where he could join the team for Friday's tail end of a back-to-back. Even if he doesn't play, that at least gives him the chance to be with the team when it travels to Los Angeles for Sunday's nationally televised showdown against the Lakers, the first battle between the two teams since Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

It's hard to image O'Neal, given his history with the Lakers, would miss that one, especially if the injury is not severe as Rivers suggested Monday.

As for Daniels, he's back home tending to a family issue. Asked about the likelihood of having him for Tuesday's game, Rivers said, "I'm not sure. I'd say 50/50 at best." Daniels is one of only five players to appear in all 43 games this season and, given his history of missing games due to injury in the past, he takes great pride in having been an ironman thus far. Daniels returned home earlier this year for another family issue, but rejoined the team in time to appear in the next day's game.

The Celtics operated with another 10-man practice Monday, meaning guys were shifted out of position and, during 5-on-5 work, there were no subs to offer rest. Glen Davis, who bounces between the center and power forward spots off the Boston bench, spent time at small forward in Daniels' absence.

Rookie Semih Erden ran with the starters, suggesting he'll remain the starting center in the absence of O'Neal.

"It’s tough, it’s tougher than even last year, so far, because of the continuity," said Rivers. "We do a lot of skeleton [non-contact] stuff, over and over again, which is extremely boring and monotonous. But it’s the only way we’ve been able to keep our rhythm. We’ve done more skeleton work than we’ve ever done, but we do it at full speed, like game-wise, because we don’t have enough size going up against each other.

"Baby spent the whole day at the 3, we threw him out of his position, but he enjoyed it. He thought he could shoot every time like Paul [Pierce]. Our guys have been pretty good. I'll say this: Our veterans, Ray [Allen], Paul, Kevin [Garnett], and [Rajon] Rondo, they have been terrific in understanding the situation we are in. Today, we had a good practice because of them. They're focused; They knew we wouldn’t be here long, so it’s been really good."

Jermaine O'Neal, who decided last week to avoid surgery and is spending the next four weeks rehabbing and strengthening his sore left knee, was at the team's facility working out. But with Erden running with the first team and Davis at small forward, that left a second-unit frontcourt of rookie Luke Harangody and Kendrick Perkins.

Knowing how banged up his team is, Perkins, less than six months removed from ACL surgery, told Rivers he could return as early as Tuesday's game against the Cavaliers, but Rivers isn't about to risk his health despite an ahead-of-schedule rehab thus far.

Rivers said Perkins is still slated to return on Feb. 4 against the Dallas Mavericks.

"I think he wants to [return], but I think we'll keep the timetable," said Rivers. "Honestly, he wanted to play [Tuesday]. He's already approached me about that... The only consideration is when [team trainer] Eddie [Lacerte] and [team physician] Dr. [Brian] McKeon say, 'You can play him.' I'm not going to listen to Perk, I can tell you that."

Elsewhere on the injury front, Delonte West got up shots after practice, catching the ball without hesitation with his right hand, a good sign he's progressing in his recovery from a fractured right wrist. He watched the end of the team's session from the sideline gripping a squeeze ball in his right hand to strengthen the wrist.

Despite the thin number of bodies, rookie guard Avery Bradley remains with Maine Red Claws of the NBA Development League.

Back to top Go down

MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE - Shaq & MD Out Tomorrow - West Catch & Shoot Empty Re: MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE - Shaq & MD Out Tomorrow - West Catch & Shoot

Post by Sam Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks for what basically seems like good news. Poor Perk. He has worked so hard, and you can feel him frothing at the mouth to get back.

I wonder if there's any remote chance that, when (I hope) all the bodies are back (or even farther in the future), Glen Davis could eventually add emergency SF to his bag of tricks. We've certainly talked enough on the board about that possibility. If he truly feels as comfortable at the position as Doc said, I'd be intrigued with that possibility. Imagine Glen actually having a strength advantage over an opponent without giving up length. He's pretty agile for his size. Who knows?

I was interested in this quote by Doc:

"It’s tough, it’s tougher than even last year, so far, because of the continuity," said Rivers. "We do a lot of skeleton [non-contact] stuff, over and over again, which is extremely boring and monotonous. But it’s the only way we’ve been able to keep our rhythm. We’ve done more skeleton work than we’ve ever done, but we do it at full speed, like game-wise, because we don’t have enough size going up against each other."

I wonder what Doc means by that term, "continuity." It's an unfamiliar concept to me, but it certainly sounds as though the lack of it has caused a lot of problems for the team this season. According to Doc, even more than last year. Frankly, that surprised me.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE - Shaq & MD Out Tomorrow - West Catch & Shoot Empty Re: MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE - Shaq & MD Out Tomorrow - West Catch & Shoot

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:07 pm

I had to laugh Sam, when I read that about Perk...Doc isn't going to turn the asylum over to the inmates just yet...Guys like Perk and KG will tell you what you want to hear in order to play, I bet...He just smiles and goes over to the trainer and the Doctor...to get the rational health report.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 pm

LACelt,

Just the sight of Perk smiling would probably raise a caution flag for Doc.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:12 pm

No doubt Sam, it would make me shudder but I meant Doc just smiles, as in, whatever Perk, then he goes to the medical and trainer to get the straight story.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Continuity, what a concept for this year's team. Instead they've been forced to become extremely versatile.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 pm

I have been released and am going home. The whole thing was a false alarm by and large and is being put down to side effects from chemo.All my test came back true blue. My overall plan of care has to this date been one that works.

I feel much better. Many thanks and all my love and respect to everyone on the board for all of the support.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 pm

As Dorothy said,

"There IS no place like home!"

Pearl will be a waggin his tail!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:21 pm

jeb wrote:
I have been released and am going home. The whole thing was a false alarm by and large and is being put down to side effects from chemo.All my test came back true blue. My overall plan of care has to this date been one that works.

I feel much better. Many thanks and all my love and respect to everyone on the board for all of the support.

Jeb

jeb,

The more false alarms you have, the fewer real alarms you're gonna have (at least, that's the theory).

Keep throwing punches, buddy, eventually you'll get the knockout.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:32 pm

Bobheck

It IS like a heavyweight fight. 15 rounds and I am lucky i have done my roadwork to date. It is a game where you take and give punches and so far I am still on my feet in spite of having endured a few days where I dinna know if I was gonna be able to answer the bell.

I feel really good today and I aim to go eat a big meal.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 pm

Some days the bear eats you, some days you eat the bear...
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:45 pm

Jeb,

I'd think being pumped up after the game yesterday would be enough to kick any little ol' tumor's butt. If it helps, I'm all for the C's going undefeated the rest of the way and fo-fo-fo-fo in the playoffs.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:51 pm

jeb wrote:Bobheck

I feel really good today and I aim to go eat a big meal.

Jeb

Be sure to save a scrap or two for the pooch

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 pm

cheers fellas.

Outside did the wo wo's beat the jazz last night?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm

Jeb,

Yes, they did, 96-81. Monta had a strange night (1-9 for 2 points), but everyone else shot well to make up for it. Even Biedrins chipped in 11. They do have firepower, no doubt about that. They're 20-27, which is better than last year and probably where they should be.

Deron Williams has a hurt wrist and didn't play, so I'd say the Warriors probably would've been favored, especially playing at home. The Jazz have gone through a tough stretch. I look at their starting lineup last night -- Earl Watson and Raja Bell at guard, Millsap and Kirilenko at forward, and Jefferson at center -- and really, three of those guys should be backups. Without Williams, they don't have much of a chance. It boggles my mind that the Jazz, despite their limited roster and losing seven out of the last eight, are 28-20. I'll say it again -- Sloan is a great coach.

But hey, I don't care if Williams was out. I'll take a win over the Jazz any day Smile
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm

Outside

I follow the Warriors and am still a fan (I'd say it's mano a mano with them and the Spurs to be my fav "second" team)

It has been the basketball book of Job has it not? good grief! Seems to be ever so slightly moving in the right direction eh? A little...?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Outside wrote:

Sloan is a great coach.

But hey, I don't care if Williams was out. I'll take a win over the Jazz any day Smile

Amen, brother.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 pm

Outside, what about those Warriors...
If memory serves me correctly (not as often anymore)...They won the first NBA championship in 46, I may try and go see them play the C's in Oaktown when the C's come to town.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:30 pm

jeb wrote:

Jeb

Hey buddy-

really, really glad to her it. Been great texting with you. Glad they fixed the tv so you got to see your boys win yesterday.

Keep em flying.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Jeb, the Warriors are on the upswing somewhat. After winning only 29 and 26 games the past two years, they already have 20 in the bank and are on their way to 35 at the current pace. I have perhaps irrational hope due to the recent change in ownership, but I hope they make the moves necessary to keep improving. Dear Lord, please send a capable center, and then we'll talk after that.

LA, the one thing you can say is that they're usually entertaining. For all their defensive deficiencies and lack of depth, the run-and-gun show with Curry, Ellis, Dorell Wright, and Reggie Williams is fun to watch. I'm not a huge David Lee fan, but he does some good things. Louis Amundson is undersized and he and Biedrins combined set the art of free-throw shooting back decades, but I've always appreciated Amundson's effort. If I'm reading the stats correctly, they're 3-3 against the Celtics in the "big 3" era, so they're an occasionally dangerous team. Hopefully, they make it worth your while if you go see them play the Celtics.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Outside wrote:Jeb, the Warriors are on the upswing somewhat. After winning only 29 and 26 games the past two years, they already have 20 in the bank and are on their way to 35 at the current pace. I have perhaps irrational hope due to the recent change in ownership, but I hope they make the moves necessary to keep improving. Dear Lord, please send a capable center, and then we'll talk after that.

LA, the one thing you can say is that they're usually entertaining. For all their defensive deficiencies and lack of depth, the run-and-gun show with Curry, Ellis, Dorell Wright, and Reggie Williams is fun to watch. I'm not a huge David Lee fan, but he does some good things. Louis Amundson is undersized and he and Biedrins combined set the art of free-throw shooting back decades, but I've always appreciated Amundson's effort. If I'm reading the stats correctly, they're 3-3 against the Celtics in the "big 3" era, so they're an occasionally dangerous team. Hopefully, they make it worth your while if you go see them play the Celtics.

outside,

While Ellis is the better player, the team runs better when Curry is in and Ellis is out.

David Lee is a platypus. He's got the height of a 4, but the arms of a 3 (maybe 2). He has the range of a 3, but the footspeed of a 5 (and not even a particularly quick one). He can rebound like a 5 but is completely earthbound. Yet, he is surprisingly effective, shooting 50% from the field this year and averaging 9.7 rebounds. Then, there's the final biological anathema: he's white. He's also the best big man we got. Go figure.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 pm

Jeb,

Your situation is so much like that of a championship basketball team. One day at a time. Develop the right chemistry. Build momentum as you endure the marathon. And sprint like hell to a big win down the line.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Great news Jeb, glad you are home again. Now you can make all the noise you want while watching or listening to the Celts! You know, life is funny, some days you think you have the world by the tail, other days the world has you by the tail. Just keep plugging at it. You have so many friends here on the board rooting for your recovery. Take care

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey Jeb

Here is a little thing to give you a chuckle. Marcus entered this contest where you submit a photo of your Durant sneakers on his facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/KevinDurant?ref=ts

If this works Marcus photo is on the left, click on it and read the comments

or go directly to the photo here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500714281654&set=a.469991031654.250190.81781281654

Marcus got a chuckle out of MOST of them.

By the way if he wins he gets a pair of Autographed Durant's!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm

beat

"white oliver miller for a 3!"
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down