MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE MARQUIS DANIELS

4 posters

Go down

MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE MARQUIS DANIELS Empty MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE MARQUIS DANIELS

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Marquis Daniels taken out on stretcher with neck injury
E-mail | Print | Comments (7) Posted by Gary Washburn Globe Staff February 6, 2011 03:09 PM
By Gary Washburn, Globe Staff

Yoon Byun/GLOBE STAFF
Marquis Daniels was taken to New England Baptist Hospital with a neck injury.
Celtics swingman Marquis Daniels was removed from TD Garden on a stretcher after he appeared to jam his head into the left shoulder of Orlando's Gilbert Arenas with 11:01 left in the second quarter. Daniels made a move to his right, Arenas backed up and was called for a block.

The team reported it was a neck injury, but the extent was unknown. He was taken to New England Baptist Hospital and was alert.

After the collision, Daniels fell immediately but was winking his eyes. Trainer Ed Lacerte called for a stretcher and Daniels was removed from the court giving the "thumbs up" sign to a cheering Garden crowd.

Daniels sustained a concussion during Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals last June on a similar play, ramming into the body of Marcin Gortat. He missed the rest of the postseason.

Moments earlier, Glen Davis went to the locker room with a bruised head after landing hard taking a charge from Orlando's Jameer Nelson. Davis returned to the game.

Back to top Go down

MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE MARQUIS DANIELS Empty Re: MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE MARQUIS DANIELS

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:35 pm

BOSTON — Celtics guard Marquis Daniels suffered a neck injury Sunday when his head collided with the shoulder of Orlando's Gilbert Arenas. He was taken off the court on the stretcher and transported to New England Baptist Hospital.

Daniels immediately fell to the floor after the collision and remained motionless for several seconds. Players from both teams gathered nearby as the Celtics' medical team came on the floor to care for Daniels.

After being mounted on a stretcher, Daniels gave the Garden crowd a 'thumbs up' gesture before being taken to New England Baptist Hospital.

It's too soon to say how severe Daniels' injury will be, but early signs are promising. Comcast SportsNet's Gary Tanguay reported that Daniels was moving about some, which is a very positive sign when you're talking about a neck injury.

Back to top Go down

MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE MARQUIS DANIELS Empty Re: MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL UPDATE MARQUIS DANIELS

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:42 pm

UPDATE:

Via the Celtics: Official word on Marquis Daniels is "neck injury" and no word yet on severity. Daniels is on the way to the hospital now.

UPDATE 2:

Via Woj: Marquis Daniels is going to the hospital with a "neck injury," Celtics say. "He was conscious and talking," C's PR official said.

-- concious and talking is great news.

UPDATE 3:

Via Carolyn Manno: @Gary_Tanguay reporting Marquis Daniels will be ok. All extremities moving according to medical staff sources

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Marquis Daniels has bruised spinal cord
E-mail | Print | Comments (2) Posted by Gary Dzen, Boston.com Staff February 6, 2011 05:26 PM
By Gary Dzen, Globe Staff

Marquis Daniels sustained a bruised spinal cord in the first half of today's game against the Magic, the Celtics have announced. Daniels was taken to New England Baptist Hospital, where he was able to move his arms and legs. He did not sustain a concussion.
Daniels is expected to be out a minimum of one month with the injury. He will undergo a CAT scan as well as an MRI and will be evaluated further in the coming days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:29 pm

Danny and Doctor McKeon at an impromptu news conference about Marquis after the Magic game: Moving fine—arms and legs. He has returned to full function.Bruised his spinal cord. Not a concussion. Out indefinitely. CT scans and MRIs tomorrow. Similar to neck and spinal issues he's had before, including last year in game 5 against Orlando. Won't be back before the all-star game. At least a month out. Wanted to know the score of the game and how the Celtics were playing. Treatment will be mainly observation and time.

Go Quis!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Posted by Jeb:

Thank goodness

So scary to see a man on either team go down with an obvious neck injury. Just a reminder of how fragile all our lives are.

Might be time for Quis to give some consideration to retiring. Nothing is worth a neck injury.

Jeb
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Marquis Daniels has bruised spine

ESPNBoston.com
BOSTON -- Boston Celtics reserve swingman Marquis Daniels suffered a bruised spinal cord as a result of a second-quarter collision during Sunday's win over the Orlando Magic at the TD Garden.

Daniels fell face-first to the parquet after the initial injury. After being attended to by team doctors and arena paramedics, Daniels needed to be taken from the court on a stretcher in a scary scene that marred a nationally televised battle of rivals.

"Marquis is doing well," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said at a joint news conference with team physician Dr. Brian McKeon. "I was just with him at New England Baptist Hospital. He's moving; he's fine. His arms and his legs, everything is fine."

The Celtics' Marquis Daniels is tended to by trainer Ed Lacerte after suffering what was later determined to be a bruised spinal cord.
Ainge indicated that Daniels will be sidelined at least one month, possibly longer. While he has regained motor functions, the team plans to run a battery of tests, including CT scans, MRIs, and serial examinations, in order to determine the severity of the injury.

Both Ainge and McKeon noted that Daniels has experienced spine issues in the past and he endured a similar scare last year in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals in Orlando. He was diagnosed with a concussion after that game, but did not suffer one Sunday.

Ainge visited Daniels at the hospital during Sunday's game.

"He just wanted to know the score of the game," said Ainge. "He had talked with his wife and his mother. He was fine."

Asked how the team moves forward, McKeon said the key is simply observation and time, especially given his past history.

"I think he was scared when he was on the court, because he couldn't really move there for a short period of time, so that scared him," said Ainge. "But he's had some issues with this before and some tingling in his body -- his arms and things before."

With 11:01 to play in the second frame, Daniels posted up on Magic guard Gilbert Arenas, but appeared to snag his neck as he attempted to drive towards the basket. Daniels collided with Arenas' chest, seeming to knock him out. Daniels collapsed forward, landing face-first on the floor.

After a long stoppage in play, Daniels gave a thumbs up to the crowd as he was being taken from the court on the stretcher.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers knew immediately there was something wrong as Daniels fell prone.

"Right when he went down, I was already out on the floor," said Rivers. "I don't know who, Gilbert or someone was standing near him and I just told him, 'Don't touch him.' Because you could see it was not good."

More on the Celtics

Said Celtics captain Paul Pierce: "Obviously when you see a guy lay down there for a [period] of time, you get worried and you pray and hope that he's alright. When we came back to the locker room at halftime, I asked how he was doing and they said he was moving and doing pretty good. I guess he has some type of condition in his neck or spine that I didn't know about. ... Hopefully he can take some time off, hopefully he can get back on the court, but, most importantly, we're more worried about his health."

The Magic players also were concerned

"It was scary, man, scary," guard Jameer Nelson said. "I was praying for him. It could happen to anybody. You never want to see a guy get injured and taken off on a stretcher."

Celtics guard Ray Allen isn't sure how the team collected itself because everyone's thoughts were on Daniels.

"I was trying to process what just happened and, when I saw the way he hit the ground, I just started thinking about any time I watched a football game, and I saw a guy on the ground, how their body just kind of didn't respond to anything," said Allen. "It looked like he got hit in the wrong spot, where whatever happened to his body he just couldn't move. And when I saw his face, it was the scariest feeling because it was almost like he couldn't do anything. It's the risk we always run, but for that moment it just seemed like, 'Let me go to the hospital and let me do what I need to do to see that he's all right,' because basketball was the last thing on my mind."

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:42 pm

That was a scary accident and I think he may be out longer then expected. It seems like a high C-Spine bruise. That is a dangerous place to get it. Chris Reeves had a high C-Spine injury which severed a part of his 2-3 spine and made him into a vegetable. So this will not be taken lightly. Probably will do an MRI and CT with contrast to see if the spinal column was pierced.

This is a tough one and Danny should start looking.

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:15 am

While we all wish a full and fast recovery for Marquis,since this is not his first encounter with something like this, it may be a sign to him to start contemplating retirement. Does anyone think we have a shot to reacquire James Posey from Indiana? If Memphis can be a farm system for the Lakers, why can't Larry do his former team a favor and at least let the C's rent JP for the rest of the season. I'm not sure Harangody can give us enough until or unless 'Quis returns. Chemistry and time become an issue. With Jermaine not due back until April, now Daniels, and Shaq in and out more than an old Kevin Kline movie, Danny may have to reacquire 'Sheed also.-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:25 am

MD,

Good point on Posey and he gives us an outside shot from the arch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 am

While all these ideas are floating around, people need to remember that the Celtics' roster is full at 15, and I believe all 15 are signed at least through the end of this season. The facts that Quis is injured and Bradley is in Maine do not change this situation. So I suggest that, before suggesting an acquisition, it might be a good idea to have a suggested subtraction in mind (which could, of course, include a trade). There is no such thing as injured reserve.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 am

Think it is a little soon to start calling for his retirement.

Lets see how it all plays out. Hope to see Quis back on the court soon.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down