+6
bobheckler
cowens/oldschool
Sam
tardust
Matty
10 posters

Go down

Jamal Crawford intriguing option for Celtics Empty Jamal Crawford intriguing option for Celtics

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:31 pm

CSNE

Would Jamal Crawford consider Boston?

If I were Danny Ainge: Garnett, trade up, bench help
Bob Ryan and Steve Buckley list the moves they'd make if they ran the Boston Celtics this offseason

BOSTON — The Boston Celtics will indeed be in the market this summer for a veteran shooting guard, and Jamal Crawford just might fit the bill.

The 32-year-old combo guard told a Seattle television station on Thursday that he would not opt-in to the final year of his contract with Portland, which means he'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"I'm a free agent, so I'm excited about what's there moving forward," Crawford told Seattle television station KING. "There will be a lot of teams out there with a lot of interest. I'll sit back after July 1 (the day free agency begins) and see what happens."

In his lone season with Portland, the 6-foot-5 guard averaged 14 points while shooting just 38-percent from the field and a career-low 30.8 percent on three-pointers.

His availability gives the Celtics yet another option as they enter the summer with significant cap space and significant questions as to how the team will be built moving forward.

The Celtics would love to have Ray Allen come back and resume the role he had in the second half of the season as a backup to Avery Bradley.

While Allen accepted the role, it wasn't one he totally embraced. It is unclear if he would be willing to return under those same conditions, and with what would likely be a one-year contract.

Having had his name involved in trade rumors the past couple of years, the soon-to-be-37-year-old Allen (his birthday is July 20) appears to be seeking a two-year deal.

"There's still a lot of basketball left in my legs," said Allen, who underwent right ankle surgery on Wednesday. "I know that for sure."

In addition to Allen, the Celtics are also unsure about another one of the team's free-agents-to-be, Mickael Pietrus who like Allen, had surgery earlier this week.

Although Pietrus has maintained all season that he wants to be in Boston long-term, his future will depend heavily on how strong other teams come at the Frenchman or whether the C's feel they can add a better player.

Which brings us back to Crawford, a player who would fit in well with Boston.

Having played both guard positions, he gives the C's the kind of flexibility they were hoping to have this season with Keyon Dooling.

And while Dooling is the superior defender, Crawford's ability to create his own shot and score is a skill that few current Celtics (Rajon Rondo and Paul Pierce, truthfully) have.

Looking back at the past couple of seasons that ended at the hands of the Miami Heat, among the reasons for the Celtics' exit was their lack of players with the ability to generate their own individual offense.

Throw in the fact that Crawford is well-respected veteran who is close to one of the C's building blocks of the future, Avery Bradley who has often said that Crawford was a player he looked up to while growing up in the Seattle-Tacoma area, it makes a lot of sense for Crawford to be a player of interest for the Celtics.

Because the C's were so far over the salary cap last season, Crawford never gave Boston serious consideration before signing the two-year, $10.225 million with Portland.

Having played for $5 million last season, Crawford would most likely be seeking a similar deal this summer.

However, coming off a sub-par season coupled with an opportunity to play for a team that's focused solely on winning a championship every year, that just might be enough to entice him to take less money than he might get from another less-established team.

It would be the kind of deal that C's president of basketball operations Danny Ainge needs to pull off as he goes about assembling a Celtics team whose goal next season will be no different than it was this past season - bring home Banner 18.

Back to top Go down

Jamal Crawford intriguing option for Celtics Empty Re: Jamal Crawford intriguing option for Celtics

Post by Matty Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:06 am

i'll take a Ray Allen first...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Jamal Crawford intriguing option for Celtics Empty Re: Jamal Crawford intriguing option for Celtics

Post by tardust Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:52 am

To me it is how much he costs. 5 million would be a no brainer IMO. Much more than that would have to be because we couldn't get anyone else to come to Boston. His defense if memory serves me is not very good. Of course he can light it up but takes a lot of horrible shots. Much like JR. At least Ray doesn't shoot those kind of shots.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:29 am

See Outside's assessment on another thread. If that doesn't make you at least very hesitant about signing this guy, nothing will.

The way I see this team going, I would be leery of signing a veteran whose pattern of play hasn't included at least decent defense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:20 am

Sam agreed I'd pass, stats show hes on downside

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Cow, on the assumption that Ray's out the door, the Celtics desperately need a lights out shooter. I think that's probably what you were referring to on the other thread where we were discussing player attributes. I look at the Heat, and it seems as if, every time Battier or Chalmers or Miller or James Jones gets a half-open look from the corner or most of the time when they shoot from the top of the arc, it's time for me to start groaning. I probably forget some of their clankers because they don't make such an impression, but I'm sure you know what I'm saying. Those guys can be dagger throwers.

We need a reliable dagger thrower.not some cast-off who used to be dynamite. The question I have is whether there's a better chance of getting one in free agency (advantage: experience) or in the draft (advantage: youth and upside). I wish I could have as much confidence as a lot of people that Moore (if he re-signs with the Celtics) will be that guy. I want to believe it, but it's really difficult to tell right now because he's usually playing in garbage time, which is pretty much organized grab-ass in which players force up shots from everywhere.

I'm really looking forward to the summer leagues. Remember a could of years ago, when Semih Erden arrived in Orlando having had no sleep in 24 hours and looked like he was made of petrified wood in his first game. Then, by the third game, he had some people thinking he might be a Celtics savior. Even if their eventual potential isn't obvious from summer league, at least it's possible to discern certain tendencies or abilities from which to make informed guesses as to whether they're worth keeping.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:08 pm

sam wrote:Cow, on the assumption that Ray's out the door, the Celtics desperately need a lights out shooter. I think that's probably what you were referring to on the other thread where we were discussing player attributes. I look at the Heat, and it seems as if, every time Battier or Chalmers or Miller or James Jones gets a half-open look from the corner or most of the time when they shoot from the top of the arc, it's time for me to start groaning. I probably forget some of their clankers because they don't make such an impression, but I'm sure you know what I'm saying. Those guys can be dagger throwers.

We need a reliable dagger thrower.not some cast-off who used to be dynamite. The question I have is whether there's a better chance of getting one in free agency (advantage: experience) or in the draft (advantage: youth and upside). I wish I could have as much confidence as a lot of people that Moore (if he re-signs with the Celtics) will be that guy. I want to believe it, but it's really difficult to tell right now because he's usually playing in garbage time, which is pretty much organized grab-ass in which players force up shots from everywhere.

I'm really looking forward to the summer leagues. Remember a could of years ago, when Semih Erden arrived in Orlando having had no sleep in 24 hours and looked like he was made of petrified wood in his first game. Then, by the third game, he had some people thinking he might be a Celtics savior. Even if their eventual potential isn't obvious from summer league, at least it's possible to discern certain tendencies or abilities from which to make informed guesses as to whether they're worth keeping.

Sam

sam,

Count me among those who have confidence in Moore's shooting. Where I'm leery is in his ballhandling. My confidence in him dribbling in traffic or passing out of double-teams is not anywhere near as high as 112288's and some other board members' is.

Doc has said that he made a mistake trying to turn Bradley into a pg (because of his size). Doc said that Moore is a better pg than Bradley. That statement scares the shit out of me. If Moore is to be our designated shooter, I'm ok with that, but if he's to be a back-up pg then I'm not.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Bob, do you recall a player we were both high on during the last summer camp. I believe Deshawn Sims, after being the DL Rookie of the Year and and All-Star in 2011, played SF in PUerto Rico and South Korea (where he averaged 24 PPG and 10 RPG). At 6' 8", he seemed like a nice combination of athleticism and shooting ability. I wish they could bring him back this season. Even if he didn't make the team, I just liked watching him play. I've edited this because I now see that he's back with the Red Claws in Maine.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:14 pm

sam wrote:Bob, do you recall a player we were both high on during the last summer camp. I believe Deshawn Sims, after being the DL Rookie of the Year and and All-Star in 2011, played SF in PUerto Rico and South Korea (where he averaged 24 PPG and 10 RPG). At 6' 8", he seemed like a nice combination of athleticism and shooting ability. I wish they could bring him back this season. Even if he didn't make the team, I just liked watching him play. I've edited this because I now see that he's back with the Red Claws in Maine.

Sam

sam,

DeShawn Sims is not with the Maine Red Claws. They waived him on 3/19/12, due to an foot injury. I can find no news regarding the seriousness of his injury, but it was enough to get him waived. Then again, in the D-league it's all about "what can you show me now?".

Let's hope he's invited to summer league again. The rosters won't be set until after the draft and everybody knows who has whom.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Bob,

Boy, talk about a cup of tea. The news piece I saw was dated March 6, 2012 and said he was back and expected in the Red Claws' lineup shortly. Thanks for the update. I liked that guy.

For some reason (maybe I'm on the rebound from the disappointment of the playoff loss), I'm particularly looking forward to the Summer League. I'm probably more optimistic than I have a right to be about the Celtics' future because there seem to be so many directions in which good things could come about.

I'm going to try to put together an NBA Draft Update Thread where we can post the picks and trades as they're made so people can log on whenever they want to in order to become updated and can exchange observations as well. I'm hoping maybe a few of us can take shifts in posting the selections because I've been divorced once and once is enough; and I expect no one else wants to spend hours falling asleep as your buddy, Mr. Potatohead, drones on with the selections.

Perhaps some enterprising posters can find and post video footage of the draft selections.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:51 pm

maybe for a lil enthusiam and added excitement this yr the nba will hire Ben Stein to announce the draft picks...

"with the # pick, the new orleans hornets pick.. davis..... davis.... davis... davis........ davis.......... davis... davis.. davis......... davis...... davis..... davis..."

Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:14 pm

great shooter = Ray Allen
good defender = Ray Allen
great teammate = Ray Allen

Sure hope we can resign him for a decent salary.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:31 am

Multiple Teams Interested in Sonny Weems
June 16, 2012
Small forward Sonny Weems, who played in Lithuania last season, has reportedly drawn interest from several teams, including the Cavs. Weems’ rights are owned by the Raptors, who have the right to match any free-agent offer he receives. Weems is a 6-foot-6 swingman who turns 26 next month.

The Celtics and Pistons are also said to be interested.

via Sam Amico of FOX Sports Ohio

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:16 am

The Hawks did not resign him and most fans were not happy. He had a sub par year in Portland but career wise he has always been a dangerous scorer. Very high basketball iq, very average defender. Would prefer Ray but Crawford is a viable option for the right money.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:59 am

112288 wrote:Multiple Teams Interested in Sonny Weems
June 16, 2012
Small forward Sonny Weems, who played in Lithuania last season, has reportedly drawn interest from several teams, including the Cavs. Weems’ rights are owned by the Raptors, who have the right to match any free-agent offer he receives. Weems is a 6-foot-6 swingman who turns 26 next month.

The Celtics and Pistons are also said to be interested.

via Sam Amico of FOX Sports Ohio

This reminds me of the Josh Childress situation at the end of the 2007-2008 season. Josh didn't want to accept Atlanta's offer, so he went to Europe for a couple of years. When he came back, Atlanta still owned his rights, so in the end, he proved nothing. Josh should have taken the qualifying offer from Atlanta (one year contract) and then he would have been an unrestricted free agent the next season.

Quality restricted free agents don't have many options and their teams, for the most part, will match any offer, unless the other team hugely overpay. If Sonny Weems is any good, we will have to get him via a sign and trade type of arrangement.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:56 am

gyso,

When you mention limitations on acquiring quality free agents, the operative word is "quality." It's my impression that very few quality free agents realistically become available, and those who do are usually very overpriced and are often damaged goods as well.

This is why, although free agency may appear to be a pathway to a quick fix for a team, it's vastly overrated on that score. At least, trading generally ensures that you know what you're getting (although the downside is obviously having to give quality to get quality). That's why the draft is so important because it yields so much young, generally healthy, guys; and it's why talent evaluation is so high on every team's "must" list.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:04 am

My son-in-law is a huge Knicks fan. He said that he liked Crawford when he was with the Knicks. He thought that he would do better under Doc's system. He said Doc could keep him from jacking so many untimely shots. He gave Nate Robinson as an example.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:46 pm

gyso wrote: He gave Nate Robinson as an example.

Not sure how Nate Robinson in Boston is an example of "success"
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:28 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
gyso wrote: He gave Nate Robinson as an example.

Not sure how Nate Robinson in Boston is an example of "success"

Would you believe relative success? In the run and gun offense of D'antony's (sp?) Knicks, Nate shot much, much more before he was traded to the Celtics.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Portland Trail Blazers Extend Deadline for Jamal Crawford: A Fan's Reaction

The Portland Trail Blazers made an odd move by pushing back the deadline for Jamal Crawford's player option. New general manager Neil Olshey got together with Crawford's agent (Andy Miller) and agreed to push back the deadline until June 29. This is despite the fact that Crawford has already made his intention to opt out of the contract very clear.

Crawford is due $5 million for the 2012-13 NBA season if he decides to stay with the Blazers, but it has long been thought that he could make more on the open market. I think that his services could receive a lot of bids in free agency, with teams like the Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Miami Heat and even the Chicago Bulls in full need of someone like him. Even some low-budget teams like the Minnesota Timberwolves, Los Angeles Clippers or Cleveland Cavaliers might be willing to offer him a multi-year deal.

I think that this presents a few interesting options for the Blazers, but maybe it's a move designed to keep Crawford interested in the team. If the Blazers could pull off a few trades or draft some really good players in the next few weeks, maybe it's possible that Crawford would decide to stay with the team. The draft takes place on Thursday, June 28, so maybe it is no fluke at all that the deadline for the option got extended to June 29.

The Blazers hold the control of Crawford, so the team could presumably trade him in order to pick up an asset or two. If the trading partner could convince Crawford to accept the player option, a deal like that might actually work. I am just posing a guess there though, as there has been no indication from the front office in Portland that the team is entertaining such a thought.

I think that Crawford and his agent are using good strategy by not opting out of the contract yet and that it was also a very good move by the Blazers and Olshey. It may amount to nothing in the end, with Crawford deciding to opt out before June 29 rolls around, but I like that the team has kept its options open moving forward. If the team was able to get a great point guard in the draft, I certainly wouldn't mind another season of Crawford coming off the bench.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/portland-trail-blazers-extend-deadline-jamal-crawford-fans-140900228--nba.html;_ylt=AjMyOX4agLA8Ue7.Hg78T545nYcB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down