Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis

+4
kdp59
NYCelt
worcester
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Brown, Bradley, both Brooklyn picks + one of ours and money for Davis and Asik?

Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_lcap29%Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 4 ]
Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_lcap0%Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_lcap7%Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_lcap21%Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_lcap36%Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 5 ]
Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_lcap7%Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 14

Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Empty Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:39 am

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4724404/anthony-davis-sees-celtics-as-blueprint-but-boston-yearns-for-star-like-him

Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis

Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F1026%2Fr145446_1296x518_5%2D2
The Celtics would love to build around a young superstar like Anthony Davis. Chuck Cook/USA Today Sports

4:39 AM PT

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

During a sprawling 18-minute question-and-answer session at the New Orleans Pelicans' media day in late September, Anthony Davis offered a blueprint for his team to reach its elevated goals.

"We want to be kind of like how Boston was last year: not having a lot of talent, but them guys play hard," Davis said. "That's how they were able to win games. That's what we want."

Six weeks after that declaration, the Pelicans enter Monday night's tilt with those Boston Celtics owning the league's worst record at 1-9. ESPN's Basketball Power Index projects the Pelicans to win only 27.5 games. What's more, BPI gives the Pelicans a 0.4 percent chance at making the playoffs and a 35.7 percent chance at landing a top-3 draft pick (and that number spikes to 97 percent for a top-10 selection).

Celtics fans, still yearning for another star to truly launch their team to legitimate contender status, can't help but look at the Pelicans and see a different sort of blueprint for advancement.

Let's be absolutely clear here: It's way too premature to start wondering about Davis' future in New Orleans. Even if the Pelicans can't pull themselves out of this early season funk, the team is far more likely to make changes within its coaching staff or front office, which has failed to surround Davis with the sort of complementary players that would maximize his talents, than move a transcendent 23-year-old big man. And Davis committed to building here in that same media day session that.

"I love it here," said Davis. "My goal is to bring a championship here."

If New Orleans' brass ever decided that the nuclear route was the only viable option -- or if Davis just got so fed up with their mediocrity that he asked to be moved -- then Boston would be one of the only teams in the league with the sort of assets that could actually make the Pelicans ponder a deal.

While the Celtics haven't been healthy enough this season to know exactly where they stand in the Eastern Conference, it seems safe to say that they still need one more piece to truly establish themselves as a legitimate threat. Boston made a strong pitch to Kevin Durant this summer with hopes of landing an immediate one-two punch after inking Al Horford to a four-year, $113 million deal. Durant elected to head west to Golden State but that won't stop Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge from swinging for the fences.

While Davis used the Celtics as a comparison, the two teams couldn't be more different. Boston has excellent depth including a young core with players like Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder signed to team-friendly deals. What Boston lacks is a difference-maker like Davis. New Orleans, meanwhile, has struggled to find the right pieces to put around Davis and personnel missteps will make it difficult to change that. Health woes haven't helped the Pelicans, but it's far from the only reason they've failed to progress.

For the sake of conversation, let's say Ainge called Pelicans GM Dell Demps and threw out an offer like this: Jaylen Brown (No. 3 pick in 2016), Avery Bradley (25-year-old on bargain deal having All-Star-caliber season), Brooklyn's 2017 and 2018 first-round picks, another future first-round pick (either one of Boston's own or one its owed via Memphis), and $17 million in expiring salaries for Davis and Omer Asik.

The Celtics, who probably can't afford to pay all of their young talent moving forward, get their star while maintaining much of their core. With two 2016 first-round picks stashed overseas, the Celtics would still have a pipeline of young talent despite moving three years worth of first-round picks in that swap.

The Pelicans hit the reset button and emerge with two high lottery picks in a loaded 2017 draft and would have two more firsts the following year (and maybe again in 2019). What's more, New Orleans would have future cap flexibility to build around those picks and create a sustained contender. Alas, having Davis locked up long term under his new non-Rose Rule extension, and with New Orleans desperately needing something more than hope to sell to an antsy fanbase, moving the big man seems unlikely for the foreseeable future.

Until Ainge finds his next move, the Celtics' more pressing concern is getting back to playing like the team Davis referenced on media day. After two embarrassing losses to the Nuggets and Wizards last week, Thomas lamented how Boston wasn't the hardest-playing team on the court any more. The Celtics responded with strong performances in winning both ends of a back-to-back against the Knicks and Pacers but still haven't put together a full 48-minute effort.

The Celtics are hoping to have Horford back on the court for the first time since Oct. 29. Horford has missed Boston's past six games while recovering from a concussion. Crowder remains sidelined by an ankle injury, though he could be available later this week. Boston has yet to be at full strength this season after both Marcus Smart and Kelly Olynyk -- two players who shuffled to starting roles the past two games -- missed the start of the season because of injury.

A healthy Boston roster will tell us more about their potential this season. While Ainge has been patient as part of this quick rebuild since Brad Stevens took over in 2013, it's fair to wonder if the Celtics need to cash in soon before the price tags on their young core start to rise and make it more difficult to add additional impact talent.

bob
MY NOTE:  Ok, first of all, EVERYBODY would love to have Anthony Davis.  Minnesota, which has a pretty damn good front court, would still love to add a Davis because talent like his is very, very rare.  Having said that would you make the deal suggested above?

Jaylen Brown, Avery Bradley, BOTH of Brooklyn's next two picks plus one more of ours, and salary relief for Anthony Davis and Omer Asik?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Empty Re: Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis

Post by worcester Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:58 am

Over the past 4 seasons Anthony Davis has averaged 65 games per year in an 82 game season. No playoff games. Can he withstand the rigors of an extended championship run of an added perhaps 19 games? He is one great player, no doubt, but is he durable? That's what gives me pause. Serious concern about his health.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis Empty Re: Celtics yearn for a star like Anthony Davis

Post by NYCelt Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:08 pm

I checked "other."

Davis is happy where he is, and management has expressed no desire to move him.  Nothing there to discuss.

On the question of 'would you make the deal proposed?'  No.  Even for Davis, that's giving up way too much potential.  I also have zero confidence that Yabusele, and to a lesser extent Zizic, have the kind of potential that would warrant losing those picks.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:14 pm

I say no to that deal, way to much to give up.

now if they would take:
Amir
Jerebko
Zeller
Brown
ONE of the nets picks

for

Davis
Asik

maybe we could make a deal

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Are you kidding....too much talent to give up and now you have to fill in the void of players who left in the trade.

NO NO NO.........

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Apparently Celtics fans are not yearning for such a deal.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:38 pm

worcester wrote:Over the past 4 seasons Anthony Davis has averaged 65 games per year in an 82 game season. No playoff games. Can he withstand the rigors of an extended championship run of an added perhaps 19 games? He is one great player, no doubt, but is he durable? That's what gives me pause. Serious concern about his health.

Davis played in 4 playoff games in 2015 when the Pelicans were swept by Golden State but still played feisty competitive ball (like C's vs. Cavs that some postseason).

Davis averaged 31.5 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists, 1.3 steals, 54% FG shooting, 89% FT shooting and an insane 28.5 PER in those 4 playoff games.

I'd hate to give up Bradley. But you have to do the above mentioned deal. 6-7 fans on this forum do not speak for Celtic nation as a whole. A good dozen of the C's fans I discuss the team and trade rumors with would all reluctantly make that trade, injury history aside, it would be like getting KG in 1999. 

THIS is the trade I would prefer to make:

Brown, Rozier, Zeller, Yabusele and both Brooklyn picks + 1 of our own for Davis w/o taking back Asik.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:40 pm

If you can put Davis next to Horford and still have IT, Bradley, Crowder, Smart, Amir and Olynyk and (for this season only) Green as the rest of the rotation you will have a team ready to compete for a championship RIGHT NOW.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Hefty price to pay for a 65 game per season athlete. If Davis plays 77+ games this year I will have a more favorable opinion, but
a) I doubt he'll be healthy...
b) I doubt New Orleans would want to trade him if he's proven durable...
c) I doubt Danny would want to deviate from his long term plan by giving up what would amount to six first round picks (three which would probably be #1,2,and or 3 in the draft) to get Davis, who was after all, a low draft pick, #1 actually... Think of Karl Anthony-Towns or Ben Simmons, both #1 picks. We have two very good chances in the next 18 month to get a player of that ilk through the draft, at low cost. It's not like we're trying to draw to an inside straight to have a winning hand. Yes, we could opt to trade a slew of players and high draft picks for what will be a high priced and frequently injured Anthony Davis, but I doubt that Danny the Gambler will make such a bet.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:21 pm

How about Shaq - missed a ton of games during his career - but always bounced back to play those 35 plus minutes per game that were expected of a super star. Four rings and 50,000 minutes later you could say he had a pretty good career.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:34 pm

True dat, Swish, but in Shaq's first 13 seasons he played in less than 66 regular season games only 4 times, and in his first three seasons he played in 81, 81, and 79 games respectively.

Davis played in 64, 67, 68, and 61 games his first four seasons. Something to consider when contemplating trading away 6 number one picks, including three who are top three picks!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 pm

worcester wrote:True dat, Swish, but in Shaq's first 13 seasons he played in less than 66 regular season games only 4 times, and in his first three seasons he played in 81, 81, and 79 games respectively.  

Davis played in 64, 67, 68, and 61 games his first four seasons. Something to consider when contemplating trading away 6 number one picks, including three who are top three picks!

W -

Those first 4 seasons without even getting to 70 games is a real issue at the bargaining table.  Almost not worth discussing anyway, except in theory, since he's not going anywhere.

I do have to say, Ram's point about putting him in the front-court with Horford is appealing.  My only problem is I think that puts us back to the short-term window for championships.  I'm more in the camp of building up for the long haul, even if it takes longer to get there.  Horford, to me, doesn't look like he's got a lot of years left.  I think maybe we can expect 2 or 3 anywhere near his peak, tops.  Too much mileage on his frame already.  Lately, he even seems invisible.  As funny as it sounds, I haven't even noticed him on the floor.  He just doesn't seem to be contributing at all.  Maybe I'll go back and check the box scores...

My concern would be giving up all those picks and young talent, and ending up with another short window to get it done followed by another decade of frustration.  I'd still pass.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Yes Horford has been invisible. He is not playing at all. Concussion.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:51 pm

worcester wrote:Yes Horford has been invisible. He is not playing at all. Concussion.

W -

Yes, I know. I was being a touch sarcastic.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Who knows what the future holds for Davis - but Shaq also had 4 straight years of significant bench time (95-96 through 98-99 ) and still stuck around for another 12 years. I agree with Ram that Davis makes the Celtics an immediate legitimate contender. Perhaps in this case a Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush - especially when he is both a very talented offensive and defensive BIG man.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:29 am

If the Nets picks end up BOTH being in the top 3 the next two years AND Danny correctly picks two players who are both 2 of the 3-4 best players to come out of those drafts AND the best players in those drafts are All-NBA players AND Davis doesn't lead the team to a title then moving those picks for him would be a tough pill to swallow. 

But.. the Nets have no incentive to lose games/tank like a bunch of other franchises do and I'm already preparing myself for pick 4-8 this year and 8-12 next year and crossing my fingers he gets ONE all-star out of those two picks. 

I know it would be a risk, but Davis is a superstar RIGHT NOW and if NO even considered moving him then adding him at age 23 to a team with one older star in the 30 year old Horford (still younger than KG when he got here in 2007), a guy his age in Smart and four other very good player in the 25-28 age in IT, Olynyk, Bradley and Crowder could possibly vault Boston over Cleve this season and give them a defender who would drive KD or Green nuts and be unguardable by GS, while Smart and Bradley can play 48 mins of hell on Curry.

So while it is still a VERY unlikely dream, I'd move Brown, Rozier, Yabusele, Zeller (for cash purposes), both Nets picks and a future #1 in a heartbeat for Davis. Maybe Brown, both those picks and New Orlean's own top 7 picks in the next 2 drafts become FIVE all-stars for them down the road, with a whole bunch of solid bench players to choose their eventual 6-12 guys from in Frazier, Goodwin, Rozier, Moore, Hield, Galloway, Hill, Yabusele, Jones, Diallo, Asik? Maybe that is better than trying to build around Davis, a pick in the 4-8 range this year, another in the 8-12 range next year and Hield being expected to carry them to the top of the west. Much less likely. 

It is an interesting debate for sure. And since there is a 99% chance NO doesn't move him before we use the Nets pick, it is just a fun 'what if' for now.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:43 am

NYCelt, sorry for missing the subtlety. Too much sun on the noggin.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:49 am

It would be hard giving up both Bradley and Brown but I voted "Hell yes" as one never knows how draft picks are going to turn out. If Rozier and Jackson live up to their potential our back court would still be potent and we'd finally have what we need up front.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down