..And now what will Ray Allen's legacy be?

+6
beat
gyso
MDCelticsFan
RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
Matty
10 posters

Go down

..And now what will Ray Allen's legacy be? Empty ..And now what will Ray Allen's legacy be?

Post by Matty Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Ray is of course a HOFer..

but how will he be rememberd beyond being a great shooting and 3 point demigod?

The Seatle Supersonics wont be hangin his jersey from the rafters..

the Bucks? do they even remember him?

How about the Celtics? the most storied part of his career could arguably be his time in Boston, but does his stint here in Boston compare in a worthy manner to those others who've worn Kelly Green and had their jersey's raised?

Pauls Jersey will hang from the rafters, so will Kevin Garnet's.. I think if Ray choose to retire here, even if he played another 2 yrs as a backup and didnt win another title, he'd definetly have his jersey going up- perhaps on the same night as KG and Paul's..

But today Ray went and joined the team who, next to the lakers, these days is as much an enemy as any team in the league..

June 28th, 2007- july 6th, 2012 was it enough time to cement a permenent legacy in Boston to see his jersey lifted?

Ray will likely be around 2 or 3 more seasons, With Ray Miami will be very hard to beat, i'll give them that, might be very likely they get another title with him around- but will he go leave the league and be remembered as a member of the Heat? Will they ever hang his jersey?

Will he ever see his jersey raised anywhere, or will Ray Allen have to ok with just the HOF?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

..And now what will Ray Allen's legacy be? Empty Re: ..And now what will Ray Allen's legacy be?

Post by NYCelt Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 am

Good question Matty.

I think Ray's legacy is as you suggest; a Hall of Famer. I don't think there is much more a player needs to add other than a championship title along the way.

I would also guess his legacy here will run very close to something like Bill Walton's. As time winds on I think he'll be seen as an important piece that was brought in to create a championship roster. I don't think he gets his number raised here, but that probably doesn't matter to him compared to HOF recognition.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

..And now what will Ray Allen's legacy be? Empty Re: ..And now what will Ray Allen's legacy be?

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:01 am

He will make it to the Hall of Fame, but, legacy? that is a tough one to call. There are very few players whose numbers reach the rafters after jumping ship the way he did. Bill W was only here for one good year and one very bad one, I wouldn't compare the two. The number retiring is lost here, what uniform he enters the hall in is another.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:42 am

Ray Allen's only Legacy with this horrific decision is a car by Subaru!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 am

Ray Allen came to be a defensive liability. This will give E'Twan Moore an opportunity to showcase his offensive prowess and develop his all-'round game. The Celtics help defense was used to cover for Allen's short comings more than Care Packages sent to third world countries.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:35 am

Most of what I have read is that he is being compared to Johnny Damen and Roger Clemens. There are a few parallels.

Mistrust between the front office and a player, the perception of declining skills due to age, the battle of contract negotiations and finally, leaving town and joining the 'enemies" camp. Roger took a slight detour first, but in the end, he did join.

Has anyone's feelings for Johnny or Roger softened over the years? My guess would be no.

Ray thinks this will not hurt him in the long run:

Allen has suggested to people that the capital he built in three years at Connecticut and five with the Celtics would transcend the cries of betrayal and boos. Allen has never been the enemy, the bad guy, and it will hurt him in New England. The Celtics weren’t breaking up the team and letting him leave.

This just goes to show how absolutely out of touch these atheletes are. I don't believe the hurt and sense of betrayal will go away for many. I have read more than once this past week that we root for jerseys, meaning that whoever is in the uniform isn't important. There is a ring of truth to it, but it just feels wrong.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--heat-gave-ray-allen-reason-to-again-feel-wanted.html

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:49 am

In answer to the thread question, Matty

I don't really give a @#$% about his legacy, he won't be part of 18 so be it!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 am

This is now the third thread on which I've posted the following because I feel like it. This time, I'll also add that I'm absolutely astounded by the number of opinions from very fine people that basically amount to an assumption that Ray owed the Celtics more loyalty. He could very well have been traded away from the Celtics last season. Where would the loyalty have been in that eventuality?

Historically, Celtics fans have not had to deal with the departure of a lot of "mainstays" to other teams, whatever the reason (Perk being a notable recent exception). There has been a lot of loyalty on both sides.

Whatever happens in Ray's life from now on cannot change the fact that he has been one of the best-ever Celtics in terms of ensuring that he was always as ready as humanly possible to perform. It cannot change the fact that his performance often vacillated between outstanding and mind-bending.

But this is a very unique circumstance, in which both the Celtics and Ray are going through a serious evolutionary process. Considering all the factors we have at least a hint about, it would be hard to argue that he made the wrong choice in leaving. It appears that the uncertainties of his ongoing Celtics role and the lingering unrest with Rondo (one of the few situations that even Doc's intercession seemingly couldn't mitigate) were more important than money to Ray. I, for one, cannot criticize him for that. He departed like a pro, with his dignity intact and hopefully with his Celtics legacy intact.

A silver lining from the Celtics' point of view is that they'll be able to work Terry into the mix without a lot of role confusion and possible stress. Another silver lining is that, although I realize they can't use Ray's bird rights to pay another player, his hold comes off the cap and they may have a little more flexibility to sign guys like Steamer.

There's no reason this shouldn't be a win win situation. And I believe it would be extremely unjust for any Celtics fan to feel that Ray doesn't deserve our undying gratitude for his service to the team AND for setting the wheels in motion for KG to decide on Boston five years ago.

Thanks Ray. You are a most deserving champion. All the best to you and your family.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:28 am

Sam

"This is now the third thread on which I've posted the following because I feel like it. This time, I'll also add that I'm absolutely astounded by the number of opinions from very fine people that basically amount to an assumption that Ray owed the Celtics more loyalty. He could very well have been traded away from the Celtics last season. Where would the loyalty have been in that eventuality"

My thoughts exactly. Good guy to bad guy--in a day--based on the color of the uniform. And of course that also works in reverse.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:35 am

Sam..

His departure was questionable imop

If what we have read is true he was willing to take $27 million from Boston but $9 from the Heat. That's just plan wrong. He asked for 27 because he knew Boston could not do that. Why not just sign with the Heat instead of playing games...

To me he was trying to get back at the Celtics. That's mean spirited.

At the very least he owes the Celtics respect...his demands for 27 mill was a cruel joke.

Da publicly stated time and time again that anyone can be traded if it improves the team. Rays action reflects a vindictive attitude.

After this post I will not mention his name again.

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:51 am

Dboss

"After this post I will not mention his name again."
I hope that makes you feel better. I wonder if Ainge and Doc will do the same?
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't understand all the bad will toward Ray Allen on this and other threads.

He moved on, so should we. Ray did what he felt was best for him. It looks like he did what was best for us too.

During his time here right through his departure, all Ray Allen did was act and work like the consumate professional.

Ray will be a Hall of Famer who played some great seasons with Boston and helped The Celtics win a title.

He's part of a significant Celtics era and worthy of our continued respect.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:26 pm

The unnamed person sucks.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Ray Allen's only Legacy will only be with himself!

That's Ray Allen! He blew a chance to go out a New England legend. What a way to end a career......could have had your number retired.......be invited back on special occasions..........what fan is going to give Ray the respect when he is announced at special events..........they'll run him out of town first!!!

His move cuts deep into New England sports fans souls.........if he left because the money was impossible to turn down.........fans could forgive and forget, but he purposely stuck it to Danny and the Celtic organization in a very self centered way........at least he could have had the courtesy of telling Danny that he was not coming back.......so the Celtics could arrange their roster and signings differently..........but he stuck the knife in and twisted it by signing with the Celtics and the rest of the leagues arch rival ........Miami!

Do not forget that Celtic Fans.........he could care less about you and the Celtics................He also blew his chance of immortality to be a Celtic legend, opting for his own self gratification in that ......he got Danny in the end......
I got Rondo in the end..............I won the battle........................

Ray............after you get over yourself you'll realize.....YOU LOST THE WAR!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Done Deal, gone, over. I will no longer talk about this subject, I have already given my thoughts. As I said earlier, thanks for the memories Ray, now we move on to a team who wants to be here. I hope he and his family are happy in Miami.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:17 pm

dboss wrote:The unnamed person sucks.

He who must not be named? Lord Voldemort (born Walter Marvolo Allen)?

(LOL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:44 pm

I didn't realize Ray was willing to take $27 million from the Celtics. If so, then I assume he took it, right? So he's really still with the Celtics, right? So much of all this conjecture is based on partial rumors, guesswork and other fairy tales. It's just a shame that, when that's the case, it becomes to easy to gravitate to the negative view against a rock-solid Celtic fixture in the KG era.

I will challenge anyone on this board to exceed my credentials as a devout Celtics fan. And I don't feel one bit injured by Ray's decision. He did his work. He more than fulfilled his contract, which he could have honored with just a pedestrian fitness regimen rather than an incredible one. He was the link that bought KG to Boston. Without Ray Allen, it's entirely conceivable that we'd now be on the downward slope to three decades of mediocrity—and without Paul Pierce. He was nearly traded by the team a year ago, so anyone who mentions to me a lack of Ray's loyalty will get a Bronx cheer right in the eye.

I'm trying to fill every one of these threads with pleas to exercise better logic and some reasonable restraint in this matter. Frankly, I'm getting friggin-A sick of it. It's over! We've all had our say. I'm sure everyone on this board has a very full life that doesn't involve Ray Allen! How about getting on with it?

Thank you,

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down