DOOLING WAIVED Empty DOOLING WAIVED

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Celtics waived Keyon Dooling.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

DOOLING WAIVED Empty Re: DOOLING WAIVED

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:45 pm

So much for the bottleneck at guard. Now let's see if the other shoe drops and he's kept on as a coach.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I wonder what role Dooling might play as coach. Would he be redundant with Ty Lue?

Letting Keyon go so early could suggest that the Celts are giving him the maximum opportunity to catch on with another team. It also supports a theory that Doc's really high on the kids and wants to give them maximum exposure in training camp.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Now it appears Dooling wished to retire, so the Celtics waived him for that purpose.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2012/09/celtics_dooling.html

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:29 pm

So with DArko, is it a choice between Kris & Dionte? Can both make the club or not?

MD!

Last edited by MDCelticsFan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:49 pm

DOOLING WAIVED Keyon_10

Keyon Dooling retires, leaving the players’ union with a big decision:

On Thursday afternoon, the Boston Celtics announced that they had waived veteran combo guard Keyon Dooling, who had re-signed with the club as recently as July 31. Though Dooling was looking at reduced playing time this season, he performed admirably for the Celtics in 2011-12, providing key pressure defense when guard Avery Bradley had to sit during the bulk of their playoff run with a seriously injured shoulder. The return of Bradley and signings of Jason Terry and Courtney Lee indicated that Dooling would not have a huge role with the Celtics, but he was nevertheless a useful player given their needs.

It turns out that the Celtics might not have waived Dooling for purely basketballular reasons. As their official statement notes Dooling wants to focus on his life away from basketball:

"Keyon has decided that he has given the NBA 12 good years and that it's time to pursue other interests and spend more time with his family," said Dooling's representative Kenge Stevenson. "He will never forget his time in Boston with the Celtics."

"We'll miss Keyon's spirit and energy, both on and off the court," said Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge. "The whole Celtics family wishes him well as he enters the next phase of his life."

We wish Dooling luck, too. He started only 86 games and played for six franchises, but Dooling carved out a solid career as a veteran presence and an effective reserve who could help at both guard spots. There are certainly worse ways to play out 12 seasons in the NBA, and that longevity means something. He won't go down in history as a particularly memorable player, but he's the sort of background player who makes the NBA a world unto itself rather than just a platform for stars.

However, off the court, Dooling holds a very important role as the NBPA's first vice president on the Executive Committee. That makes him the second most powerful player in the union behind Derek Fisher, which means there's now an open position near the top of an organization in the midst of a serious power struggle. As Adrian Wojnarowski has reported often since the NBA lockout ended at the end of November, Fisher and NBPA executive director Billy Hunter have been at odds, with Hunter convincing the Executive Committee to push for Fisher's ouster and Fisher calling for an audit of union finances.

If we go strictly by rank, Dooling was the most powerful player opposing Fisher within the union. Now that he is retired and therefore no longer a member of the NBPA, he will need to be replaced. Typically, an existing member of the Executive Committee, such as Maurice Evans or Roger "How u" Mason would take over. But if Fisher has support among the rank-and-file union members, we could see a vote that introduces a pro-Fisher member into the mix and changes the facts of this power struggle. Plus, even if a pro-Hunter player becomes first VP, there will still be another spot to fill on the Executive Committee.

No matter the outcome, Hunter will have a numerical advantage among the most powerful players in the union. But Dooling's retirement introduces new questions as the union enters an uncertain future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/keyon-dooling-retires-leaving-players-union-big-decision-230745889--nba.html

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Rondo, Lee, PP, Bass, KG
JET, AB, Green, Sully, Wilcox

There's your solids.

Smith, Xmas, Joseph, Melo, Collins, Darko, Kurz. Unless I've forgotten someone that's 7 players for 4-5 spots. I'd say Collins is pretty solid, so now it's 6 players for 3-4 spots. Unless Colonel Kurz blows everybody away, he's gone. That's 5 players for 3-4 spots.

Somebody is getting cut, maybe two. Let's hope Sam's prediction (which we know he never EVER makes), that Danny keeps 15 on roster until the last minute before he has to keep them for the season, is right. Then only one player gets cut.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:22 pm

EmailPrint0 Comments
The Boston Celtics announced today that they have waived guard Keyon Dooling.

“Keyon has decided that he has given the NBA 12 good years and that it’s time to pursue other interests and spend more time with his family,” said Dooling’s representative Kenge Stevenson. “He will never forget his time in Boston with the Celtics.”

“We’ll miss Keyon’s spirit and energy, both on and off the court,” said Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge. “The whole Celtics family wishes him well as he enters the next phase of his life.”

Dooling, a 6’3″ guard, averaged 4.0 points, 1.1 assists and 0.3 steals in 46 regular season games with the Celtics last season. During the playoffs Dooling shot 39.3% from beyond the three-point line which was tops on the team. Dooling netted a season-high 18 points at Miami on December 27 including four three-pointers.

via NBA.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:31 am

Chris Paul is a name not mentioned that I wonder about. He has a role in the players union now and may look for a bigger one, being young, he would represent this new wave of players with different ideas about what the union should be.

Just a thought
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am

Bob,

Tell me again what I predicted. I recall saying that Danny could carry a roster of 15 and drop one if he needed a mid-season replacement (a thought but not a prediction). But I don't recall saying anything about Danny "keeping 15 on the roster until the last minute before he has to keep them for the season." To tell the truth, I don't even know what that means. It could be senility clouding my memory, to say nothing of my senses.

There certainly will be cuts. At the moment (and things seem to keep changing frequently), I count 18 Celtics on the roster:

KG
Pierce
Rondo
Bass
Lee
Terry
Bradley
Wilcox
Green
Sullinger
Collins
Melo
Darko
Joseph
Christmas
Smith
Kurz
Downs

Did I miss anyone? I could envision a scenario (not a predication) whereby they'd cut Smith, Kurz and Downs and keep both Joseph and Christmas, which is my hope (not a prediction). In effect, Dooling's departure opens the door for Darko and creates more balance between the bigs and the wings/"small" men on the roster.

Stay tuned, though, because I'm convinced that Danny plays tapes of all 30 rosters and free agents while he sleeps, generating subliminal roster ideas. By my count, he can still add two guys to the preseason roster and stay within the NBA limit of 20 in the preseason.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:10 pm

sam wrote:Bob,

Tell me again what I predicted. I recall saying that Danny could carry a roster of 15 and drop one if he needed a mid-season replacement (a thought but not a prediction). But I don't recall saying anything about Danny "keeping 15 on the roster until the last minute before he has to keep them for the season." To tell the truth, I don't even know what that means. It could be senility clouding my memory, to say nothing of my senses.

There certainly will be cuts. At the moment (and things seem to keep changing frequently), I count 18 Celtics on the roster:

KG
Pierce
Rondo
Bass
Lee
Terry
Bradley
Wilcox
Green
Sullinger
Collins
Melo
Darko
Joseph
Christmas
Smith
Kurz
Downs

Did I miss anyone? I could envision a scenario (not a predication) whereby they'd cut Smith, Kurz and Downs and keep both Joseph and Christmas, which is my hope (not a prediction). In effect, Dooling's departure opens the door for Darko and creates more balance between the bigs and the wings/"small" men on the roster.

Stay tuned, though, because I'm convinced that Danny plays tapes of all 30 rosters and free agents while he sleeps, generating subliminal roster ideas. By my count, he can still add two guys to the preseason roster and stay within the NBA limit of 20 in the preseason.

Sam

sam,

Without digging through the archives, I'd say that you opined that Danny would keep the maximum of 15 players on the roster until December or January (or whenever the last day was he could until contracts became guaranteed for the season and he couldn't reduce the roster without amnesty or a trade) and then he might cut one to be at 14, so he could add one just before the trading deadline when players get waived.

I agree with your thought about Darko replacing Dooling resulting in a re-balancing between frontcourt and backcourt. We were overloaded at guard and needed another big. I suppose I should be happy that the slot for Darko was made available due to the departure of a player who probably wouldn't have played much anyway. Replacing #4 on a depth chart, when we were 7 deep (RR, JT, AB, CL, KD, JS, Xmas), with another #4 on the depth when we were only 3 deep, is movement in the right direction. The root of my concern is that it's The Human Victory Cigar. He makes Greg Kite look like an all-star.

I wouldn't take my tease too seriously, if I were you.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Dooling did well for his cost and what he was supposed to do. Best to him.

swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Bob, I'm not taking it seriously, but I was concerned if my memory was slipping. I have never been a fan of a 14-man roster, and it just doesn't sound like me.

No biggie, though. I'll be really happy (as I know you will) when the training starts and we have nothing but biggies to discuss. I do think that the board has maintained a pretty solid flow of conversation throughout the "doldrums," thanks in large part to all of your contributions. It wouldn't shock me if you got elected to our Hall of Fame again this year.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:59 pm

sam wrote:Bob, I'm not taking it seriously, but I was concerned if my memory was slipping. I have never been a fan of a 14-man roster, and it just doesn't sound like me.

No biggie, though. I'll be really happy (as I know you will) when the training starts and we have nothing but biggies to discuss. I do think that the board has maintained a pretty solid flow of conversation throughout the "doldrums," thanks in large part to all of your contributions. It wouldn't shock me if you got elected to our Hall of Fame again this year.

Sam

sam,

I'm glad to hear you didn't take me seriously. I try to be conscious of the tone I set when I respond, or allude, to other board members. I have ruffled a few feathers in the past of people I admire as people and posters and am acutely conscious of my "edge".

As far as getting elected to the HOF again, that makes no sense. Same sport, same position. I'm not a coach or GM now (or moderator). I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing which posters step up this year. If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve. I want to see others watching their numbers getting raised to the rafters. Mine's already there.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Bob,

Only kidding. We already have eight nominees...and counting.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Only kidding. We already have eight nominees...and counting.

Sam

sam,

Ok, we're even now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:00 am

I guess I haven't really kept up with it a lot but didn't Dooling just sign a 1 year contract. If so, he signs, and then decides to retire? If this is the case you would think maybe the C's talked him into retiring. If they did they probably would have a place for him in the organization.??
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:00 pm

This from Chris Forsberg, ESPN:

Former Boston Celtics guard Keyon Dooling is not interested in playing
for the Miami Heat, according to his agent Kenge Stevenson.

An

Orlando Sentinel columnist
wrote Saturday,"Former Magic [guard] Keyon Dooling announced he was
retiring -- at least for a few minutes. Word is he'd be interested in
joining the Heat. Who isn't?"

Dooling was born in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and there was some buzz
that he might be interested in playing in nearby Miami if it allowed him
to see his family more often. Stevenson said there's no truth to that
at the moment.

"He's comfortable with where he is right now," Stevenson said Saturday. "It was his decision to step away."

The Celtics waived Dooling on Thursday after the 12-year veteran
announced he was stepping away from the game, citing a desire to pursue
interests outside of basketball.

"Keyon has decided that he has given the NBA 12 good years and that
it's time to pursue other interests and spend more time with his
family," Stevenson said in a statement. "He will never forget his time
with the Boston Celtics."

bob
My Note: Good for the Reverend. This shows that it was Dooling's decision to hang them up, he wasn't nudged towards the door nor was he intimidated/put off by the number of guards coming to camp. It wasn't a game to him, jockeying for position or trying to stick it to Doc etal because he didn't play as many minutes last year as he would have liked due to the rise of Bradley. Classy guy.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Bob,

The really classy ones are the most difficult to part with. I'm thankful that we're not so obsessed with the game of pro basketball that we fail to appreciate fully the really great people of pro basketball.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:51 pm

The really classy ones are the most difficult to part with. I'm thankful that we're not so obsessed with the game of pro basketball that we fail to appreciate fully the really great people of pro basketball.

Sam

sam,

Maybe not so classy after all. I found this out at Chris Forsberg blog on the Dooling retirement:

With a tip of the cap to salary-cap guru Larry Coon, the Celtics are still on the hook for Dooling's $854,000 salary (he'll actually make $1.35 million, but the league pays the remaining portion of it). Unless Dooling elects to forfeit his salary (or negotiates a low-money buyout), it appears the team will still be billed (which adds a wrinkle of difficulty given its cap constraints).

So, Dooling signs for $1.35M, retires without ever having to even put on a jockstrap, and still gets paid. His salary goes against the Celtics salary cap (unless he'll take a buyout).

There has to be another shoe to drop here. I can't wait. Oh boy.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Interesting!!!!!
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:54 am

This a strange turn of events here. Is there really some truth to the rumor that he is going to Miami?? Do they even have room for him? I cannot believe Danny gets outsmarted here. There has got to be more coming. You are right Bob, another show is going to drop, no doubt.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:40 am

Rosalie, looks like he is not interested in them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down