Brooks Begins Boston Experience

Go down

Brooks Begins Boston Experience Empty Brooks Begins Boston Experience

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Marshon, that is.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4706584/brooks-begins-boston-experience

Brooks begins Boston experience
August, 22, 2013
AUG 22 4:20PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

WALTHAM, Mass. -- MarShon Brooks' Celtics experience began in earnest this week.

Brooks Begins Boston Experience W4kj

MarShon Brooks at the Celtics' practice facility on Thursday.

After a summer spent isolated with a personal trainer in Cleveland, Brooks arrived in the Boston area on Wednesday and, with help from his mother, Darlyn, and sister, Naya, quickly found a new place to live ("Guys are easy," Darlyn joked, noting the most important requirements are typically where to place the big-screen TV and xBox). Thursday morning featured his first Celtics workout since being acquired from the Brooklyn Nets in a summer blockbuster that ushered in a transition process. Before a community event at the team's training facility on Thursday afternoon, Brooks gushed about what lies ahead for him here.

"I'm just excited," said Brooks, suggesting he's still as giddy as his brief July cameo when the team introduced him alongside Kris Humphries and Keith Bogans. The Providence College product believes there's a great opportunity back in New England, trying to carve out a spot on the team that drafted him two summers ago. "I feel the same exact way [as at July's introductions], just excited for the opportunity to get out there and show my talents and compete for a position."

Brooks planned to return to New York this weekend to pack up his belongings, but said he'd be back here early next week and essentially begin preparations for the 2013-14 season by engaging in informal workouts at Boston's facility in advance of training camp in late September.

"I’m one of the younger guys on the team, I just want to be around," said Brooks. "Just to have a relationship with the players that are here and to know exactly what coach Brad Stevens wants."

Brooks said Stevens has kept in touch with him throughout the offseason and monitored his workouts from afar. Boston's strength and conditioning staff welcomed the 24-year-old swingman with a workout that he described as "intense" on Thursday.

With a crowded field at the 2-guard spot -- Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee, Jordan Crawford, Keith Bogans, and Brooks currently share the position -- Brooks knows minutes are not guaranteed, but after falling out of favor in Brooklyn last season, he relishes the opportunity to prove himself on a young team.

"It was difficult last year, just not knowing when you’re going into the game, and things like that," said Brooks. "Play two games, not play the next two games; have a good game, not play after that -- it was difficult. But I think it made me stronger. I continued to work, I watched Joe Johnson real closely, and had the opportunity to practice against him, I think I’m ready to play."

Brooks said he hasn't talked with Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo yet, but said that he had been watching the guard hoping to learn some of his tricks of the trade when finishing around the basket.

"Just his creativity around the rim," said Brooks. "[He's] not the most athletic guy, not the biggest guy, but his angles, and how he finishes."

After two seasons in the league, Brooks knows he has a reputation as a score-first guard and yearns to show a more diverse game. His offseason workouts have been geared towards adding strength to help him finish near the rim (he wants to create more off the dribble), and conditioning to help him navigate an 82-game schedule.

"I just have to prove that I can do more than just score, get others involved as well, defend on the other end," said Brooks. "It’s a great challenge. It’s what the NBA is all about. And I’m excited about my opportunity."

bob
MY NOTE: Good attitude by both Stevens', Marshon for wanting to show up early and work and become part of the group, and Brad for staying in touch with Marshon. I don't know how this will translate onto the court, but at least they've got their heads on straight to begin with. BDoo, apparently, set the conditioning bar high.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down