Pierce Wants To Become a Boston Fixture

4 posters

Go down

Pierce Wants To Become a Boston Fixture Empty Pierce Wants To Become a Boston Fixture

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:19 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/09/paul_pierce_wants_to_become_a.html

Paul Pierce wants to become a fixture in Boston one day, maybe own a sports bar or work in the Celtics front office

Print Jay King, MassLive.com By Jay King, MassLive.com
on September 22, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Paul Pierce has left Boston for now after being traded from the Celtics, but he wants to reunite with the city once his playing career concludes.

Clearly drawn to the place where he spent the first 15 years of his career, Pierce, who will turn 36 in three weeks, told the Boston Globe's Gary Washburn he would like to become a fixture in Boston. The 10-time All-Star suggested potentially owning a sports bar or -- who knows? -- maybe even working in the Celtics front office.

“Ultimately, what I would like to do is have a business in Boston,” Pierce told the Globe. “Maybe like a sports bar. I would love to do something like that here. None of the former Celtic great players have come and done that. I thought about it, and why hasn’t anyone come and opened up a nice restaurant? You see the Don Shula restaurant, the Michael Jordan restaurant, and Magic (Johnson) got the theaters in LA. Why nobody here? All this history, all these championships and love, why has nobody done that?

“I am going to still have relationships here. I’m always going to come to this city. Every year, when I’m done, I’m going to have a reason to come here.”

“Who knows? I may be working for Wyc Grousbeck or Danny Ainge,” he said. “A lot of players don’t understand it. I’ve always understood it. And (other players) let their pride and ego get in the way. I’ve made a lot of money here, I’ve built relationships, won a championship here, I thank y’all for everything y’all gave me. How can I be mad for everything they’ve given me. I’m thankful.”

In the past, Pierce has said he'd like to become a general manager if he can. But that won't happen immediately. For now he's focused on trying to win a ring with the Brooklyn Nets -- which, he admitted to Washburn, he believes would push him even further up the list of all-time greats.

Regardless of where Pierce ultimately lands on that list, he should always be revered in Boston. And in this case, it seems like the city's love is quite mutual.

bob
MY NOTE:  That'd be really nice, and it's nice that he feels like that.  What I'd REALLY like, though, is for him to put his childhood friend Kevin Garnett into a headlock and convince him to come back to Boston, after his playing days are over, as a big man coach.  Not a sidelines coach, I don't think KG's personality would let him watch a game and not want to get in there and fix whatever he saw as going wrong, but a big man coach like the way Hakeem and Kareem have been to Howard and others.  Teach current and future Celtics big men how to anchor a defense.  Now THAT would be the gift that keeps on giving.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Pierce Wants To Become a Boston Fixture Empty Re: Pierce Wants To Become a Boston Fixture

Post by k_j_88 Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Well, at least he harbors no ill-will. Then again, I don't think they gave him a reason to.

And I agree with your KG idea.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Pierce Wants To Become a Boston Fixture Empty Re: Pierce Wants To Become a Boston Fixture

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 pm

As I have said many times, the Celtics have a way of keeping many of their former players around. I have no doubt that at some point, Paul will return to Boston. What role, I don,t know, but he is a Celtic thru and thru. He has seen so many former players around, some representing the Celtics, some just proud of belonging to the organization. I am sure management will find a place for him. He is the player young people can respect because they were able to watch him.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am

I dont think Pierce and KG feel like they got betrayed in any way. If any thing they got gifted another shot at a championship which is why they play and the bonus is that they got that chance while giving the Celtics a future.

It was really a win-win as long as one looks at it the right way.

Who knows, maybe Pierce will come back and play another season for the Celtics after his current contract is up, who knows what kind of strength he Celtics will have then compared to the Nets, the rookies will be more experienced and there will be a couple of good draft picks on the way, could be the new Thunder with some luck.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down