Boston Celtics: Who will run the point?

4 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics: Who will run the point? Empty Boston Celtics: Who will run the point?

Post by k_j_88 Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Who Will Run the Point in Rajon Rondo's Absence?

A Look at the Most Likely Candidates to Replace the All-Star Guard
Yahoo Contributor Network Joe Clarkin 2 hours ago

COMMENTARY | The other day, I wrote about how the Boston Celtics should balance Rajon Rondo's injury and rehabilitation with the (low) expectations for the team on the court this season.

But that argument doesn't really solve the issue of who will take Rondo's place in the time between now and his return (or when he is traded). The choice of whom to play in Rondo's stead is really a no-lose situation for the Celtics. If that player steps in and plays poorly, what does it really matter? Isn't the plan to finish with one of the five worst records anyways? And if that player plays well? Then the Celtics may have found a reliable backup point guard once Rondo returns, or, less likely, a potential starter if No. 9 is eventually dealt. Unfortunately, for the Celtics, the only obvious point guard on the roster is an undrafted rookie.

Perhaps "lead guard" will be a more appropriate term for the Celtics while Rondo is out, because unless undrafted free agent rookie Phil Pressey unexpectedly grabs the reins for the point-guard job, the Celtics will be reliant on a number of combo guards to bring the ball up each possession.

With that said, let's get to the potential candidates:

Avery Bradley

Avery Bradley seems like the most obvious candidate to take over for Rondo part-time. After all, he took on much of the ball-handling responsibilities after Rondo tore his ACL, and his athleticism and defensive ability (he was second-team All-Defense last season) will make sure he sees the court regardless. But despite being on of the most terrifying full-court defenders in the league, Bradley has yet to show that he can be either a great scorer or playmaker.

Without either of those qualities, it is difficult to justify having the ball in Bradley's hands every possession. His numbers also mostly declined from 2011-12 this past season, but there's a strong argument that coming back from injuries to both shoulders had a great deal to do with that.

Still, Bradley has a lot to prove as a point guard. Bradley remains one of the few players on this team that they see sticking with them long-term. At the very least, Celtics fans should expect Bradley to turn into a Tony Allen-type of player -- an elite defender who is an offensive liability outside of transition and off-ball cuts. But if he can display more play-making ability this season, the Celtics will have to feel much more secure about their backcourt long-term.

Jordan Crawford

Jordan Crawford is an enigma. When he's not dunking on LeBron James or hitting ridiculous game-winners, you can probably find him taking a fade-away 30-footer or turning the ball over. When Crawford's on his game, he's a legitimately good scoring option for an NBA team. But when his shot's not falling, he's a risk to shoot you out of games. He has solid handles and ridiculous range on his jumper, but his decision making often approaches JaVale McGee levels of stupefying.

Truthfully, if the Celtics are looking at Crawford as a legitimate temporary replacement for Rondo, this season is probably going to be an even bigger disaster than most fans already expect. But on a team with so few options, Crawford will probably get the opportunity to play a good deal each night, and when he's on the court you know he'll rack up a high usage rate. Overall, though, he's (thankfully) probably the least likely candidate to take over for Rondo in his absence.

Phil Pressey

Pressey is, to me, the most intriguing option for the Celtics at the point-guard position. I should admit to a certain degree of bias here: I graduated from Mizzou this past May, shortly after Pressey declared for the draft. I've watched every game he's played since high school, and the Tigers fan in me wants to see him have the kind of success he was denied in college.

That said, I think he will have a serious learning curve once he gets to the NBA regular season. In college, Pressey was the most talented player on the team, and he knew it. Unfortunately, instead of using his greatest assets, his court vision and passing, every possession, Phil would often be caught chucking up a jumper early in the shot clock, instead of deferring to his teammates. And on the rare occasions these shots went in, it was probably worse for Mizzou, as Pressey too often took it as a sign that he should keep shooting.

Still, Pressey has a great deal of talent, and I truly believe there's a spot for him in the NBA. Remember, he was the SEC Preseason Player of the Year last year over guys like Nerlens Noel and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, and he was still Postseason First-Team All-SEC despite what most would consider a disappointing season. He still has the athleticism to do this (which came against 2013 Pistons draft pick Tony Mitchell, one of the more explosive players in last year's draft himself), and he's an incredibly talented and creative passer. If he can cut down on the jump shots and turnovers, Boston may have found an unexpected contributor.

---

My Take: I say Bradley or Pressey.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics: Who will run the point? Empty Re: Boston Celtics: Who will run the point?

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 pm

I'd say Pressey or Olynyk. I'm afraid of Bradley playing point.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics: Who will run the point? Empty Re: Boston Celtics: Who will run the point?

Post by Sam Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 pm

I'd rather see Cousy—in his present condition—than Bradley. The man is completely unable to advance the ball—even in a standard entry pass. Watch the films. He always passes laterally—never, never ahead.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 am

Hi,
I agree with Bob and Sam about AB.
As for JC, aka H-J, I doubt he's a good choice from team play standpoint.
As for PP, despite having no NBA experience he's better handle on PG position than anyone else on the current roster, sans RR. Also, whatever time RR is absent and PP has to perform PG duty will be a good foundation for his learning curve. Also, BrSt has nothing to loose and isn't afraid (just my gut feeling) to experiment. OTOH, he and DA will be able to see if they have back-up (even potential for now) PG or they need somebody else.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down