Despite Jared Sullinger's ugly start from the 3-point arc, Boston Celtics want him to keep firing away

+2
Sam
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Despite Jared Sullinger's ugly start from the 3-point arc, Boston Celtics want him to keep firing away Empty Despite Jared Sullinger's ugly start from the 3-point arc, Boston Celtics want him to keep firing away

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:42 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/10/despite_jared_sullingers_ugly.html

By Jay King, MassLive.com
Follow on Twitter
on October 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM, updated October 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

One interesting subplot of the Boston Celtics preseason: Judging how close broadcaster Cedric Maxwell is to jumping onto the court, grabbing Jared Sullinger by the jersey and screaming in his face never to shoot a 3-pointer again.

I envision spit flying out of Maxwell’s mouth, veins popping out of his eye sockets and claws of adamantium sprouting improbably from his fingertips.

Maxwell surely won’t actually jump onto the court to restrain Sullinger, or at least I hope. But one can feel the announcer’s displeasure rising to uncomfortable levels every time Sullinger lets go of another long-range attempt.

During the last game in which Maxwell served as a television color analyst, he got so excited to see Sullinger near the basket that he started discussing something about sandwiches and a refrigerator, which almost made sense.

Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach
"That's where I want Sully. On the box. That's where you make your money, where they make the sandwiches, by the refrigerator." - Cornbread
4:16 PM - 16 Oct 2013

Like many of the CSNNE broadcasters, especially the former players, Maxwell has seen enough of Sullinger operating so far away from the basket. The power forward is now 2-15 (13.3 percent) from 3-pointers over the exhibition season, with many of the misses failing even to come close. The ugly shooting numbers include an 0-3 showing during Sunday’s loss to Minnesota; Sullinger’s misfires that night included an airball from the left wing and a particularly ‘Sheedian brick from near the top of the key. The location was not out of the ordinary: the 21-year old has not gravitated to the corner for closer (and generally more successful) looks. His outside work has been confined to above-the-break 3s, where conversion rates typically decline.

Still, head coach Brad Stevens is keeping the faith. The Celtics coach has instilled the green light for his young big man, and does not intend to take it away.

“He needs to keep shooting, because he’ll make them,” Stevens said, according to the Boston Globe. “I’m not worried about that. All those guys need to shoot them more freely and with less hesitancy.”

By “all those guys,” Stevens probably means Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk and Vitor Faverani. Brandon Bass drills midrange jumpers with ease, but has never seemed like a threat to step back out of his comfort zone. Kris Humphries has worked on his outside shot (and habitually shoots 3-pointers after practice, often with the guards), but has attempted just 17 triples over his career, and zero so far in the preseason.

Sullinger only shot five 3s last year, making one. But he actually showcased a nice long-distance stroke at Ohio State, hitting 40 percent from the arc during his final season as a Buckeye.

“It’s a big difference (from Doc Rivers),” Sullinger said earlier during the preseason. “I have (a 3-point shot), I just have to shoot it. Right now I’m kind of babying it, I just have to let it fly. You just have to let it go. If you’re open shoot the ball. Just make sure it’s a great shot. As long as it’s not a bad shot, he lets you shoot it.”

For the record, I’m not against the Sullinger 3-pointer experiment. According to NBA.com, he shot 37.3 percent last season on tries from between 15 feet and the arc. If he changed all those attempts to 3-pointers instead, he would only need to make about one-quarter of his 3s to maintain his previous efficiency. That would still rank his 3-point attempts as inefficient shots relative to league average, but at least he would theoretically open the floor a few extra feet for his teammates.

It wouldn't take great shooting for Sullinger's 3-pointers to become better looks than his long 2s. Obviously he hasn’t hit 25 percent of his 3s so far. But one would think he’s capable of at least that, and probably better. And if he’s not, well, somebody please soothe Cedric Maxwell.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Despite Jared Sullinger's ugly start from the 3-point arc, Boston Celtics want him to keep firing away Empty Re: Despite Jared Sullinger's ugly start from the 3-point arc, Boston Celtics want him to keep firing away

Post by Sam Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Perhaps on a team with multiple players who can (between them) fill all the necessary roles and them some, it would work to have (arguably) your best rebounder shooting threes. And maybe it would work well for him to do so as an occasional change of pace. But, I agree with Max. Sully needs to be on the box. Even if he can't grab every rebound, he's a widebody who can block out and make it possible for other Celtics to grab them. I'm not sure what Brad's attempting to accomplish by encouraging guys with modest three-point shooting percentages at NBA range to bomb away.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Despite Jared Sullinger's ugly start from the 3-point arc, Boston Celtics want him to keep firing away Empty Re: Despite Jared Sullinger's ugly start from the 3-point arc, Boston Celtics want him to keep firing away

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:38 pm

sam wrote:Perhaps on a team with multiple players who can (between them) fill all the necessary roles and them some, it would work to have (arguably) your best rebounder shooting threes.  And maybe it would work well for him to do so as an occasional change of pace.  But, I agree with Max.  Sully needs to be on the box.  Even if he can't grab every rebound, he's a widebody who can block out and make it possible for other Celtics to grab them.  I'm not sure what Brad's attempting to accomplish by encouraging guys with modest three-point shooting percentages at NBA range to bomb away.

Sam

sam,

I've never been a fan of the 'stretch 4', although I'm trying to be open-minded for Olynyk's sake.  I agree with you and Max, that a Power Forward should be in the paint so he can use his power.  I see no reason for a brute like Sully to be shooting from more than the elbow extended.

Sully, with his IQ and talents, should be the low box threat, when Vitor's not in.  Dump it in, let him work, then have him kick out to a shooter when they finally collapse on him.  Let him take some mid-range jumpers, which he can shoot well, but just to draw the defense out to him, keeping them honest.

This roster is seriously imbalanced but some things are still necessary, like having a Clydesdale in the paint.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Bob,

A Clydesdale. I like it! From now on, I'm going to whistle that little song every time Sully scores.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:51 pm

This team sure isn't built for perimeter shooting. It's a skill either a player has or doesn't. It's hard to ingrain that without years and years of work.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:58 pm

How ironic if Sully becomes our replacement for Ray Allen. And how pathetic.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Sullinger made less then 1/4 of 1 (3) pointer per game in his college career.
He made 1 in 45 games last season.
I agree he need to be on the block or stretch to mid range how KG has perfected his mid range game.

Is this all part of young Justin's, er the blogger/writer's idea of the Celtics revolutionizing the NBA through their 3 point shooting? Smile
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:50 pm

I find it ironic that the number three describes a long-range NBA shot and the number of rings in a circus.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Red used to hate it when Danny would shoot three's.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm

worcester wrote:Red used to hate it when Danny would shoot three's.
W

well he shot them better than he could hit a baseball.

Lifetime batting avg .220

Lifetime 3 point shooting % .378

Still to this day the best headline ever involved DA..

TREE BITES MAN

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Tree bites man. That was hilarious!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 pm

A made mid-range shot is infinitely more valuable than a missed 3. Sullinger should play the 12-15 ft shot at the deepest.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down