Bradley, Celtics not close on contract extension

2 posters

Go down

Bradley, Celtics not close on contract extension Empty Bradley, Celtics not close on contract extension

Post by k_j_88 Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Bradley, Celtics not close on contract extension
September 24, 2013, 3:00 pm

MILTON, Mass. — Avery Bradley's future with the Boston Celtics is not in question right now. But that could change next summer when the C's guard in all likelihood becomes a restricted free agent.

The Celtics and Bradley can come to an agreement on a contract extension by October 31, but that isn't expected to happen.

Danny Ainge, Boston's president of basketball operations, said that he and Bradley's representatives will likely have some discussions about an extension next month. But Ainge doesn't anticipate a new deal for the 6-foot-2 guard who last season was named to the NBA's All-Defensive second team.

"There's nothing imminent there," Ainge said. "We may talk in October, but most likely next summer."

The decision to put off working out a new deal for Bradley has nothing to do with the team's confidence in him as a player.

It has more to do with the C's simply wanting to have as much flexibility as they can salary-wise, for as long as they can.

Bradley has been in Boston most of the summer, but has since returned to Tacoma, Washington following the death of his mother, Alicia "Lisa" Jones, who was 46 years old.

Ainge attended Jones' funeral last month.

"He seems to be doing better," Ainge said.

Bradley, who was very close to his mother, welcomed into the world on Tuesday his first child, Avery Bradley III.

"So AB III we'll call him," quipped Ainge who added, "Everybody is doing well."

While the possibility still remains that Bradley could miss the start of training camp, all indications for now point toward him being with the Celtics when camp starts in Newport, R.I. next week.

And while there will be plenty of competition for minutes, Bradley seems to have established himself as key player for the C's in the eyes of new coach Brad Stevens.

"Avery's a guy I really believe in," Stevens said. "Avery has a lot of opportunity to be a very, very good player on both ends of the floor."

Boston's point guard situation is in a bit of influx with Rajon Rondo (torn right ACL) not expected to be ready to start the season.

A handful of players will be looked upon to play the position, including Bradley. It remains to be seen how much time Bradley will see at the point, but Stevens said, "I know Avery will be on the court."

Stevens added: "He's a guy that when you look at him at both ends of the court, he's a guy that we can fit in well offensively at the point guard spot. And defensively, he can be elite. You got one whole end of the floor, where we have an elite guy at a position. You gotta figure out the best position to put him in to be successful."

But it remains to be seen if Bradley's success in Boston will extend beyond this upcoming season.

Well aware of impending free agency status, Bradley said earlier this summer that it wasn't something he was giving too much thought.

"I really don't focus on that," Bradley said. "I just focus on winning games, doing what I can do for my team. I can't wait for the season start . . . I can't wait until training camp."

---

My Take: Every year, something happens that aggravates the hell out of me. I'm hoping this is not one of them.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Bradley, Celtics not close on contract extension Empty Re: Bradley, Celtics not close on contract extension

Post by Sam Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 pm

It probably makes sense to allow the market to establish the price for Avery. It's a virtually sure thing that the Celts will match any offer, and opposing GMs will know that—a fact that could very well keep the offers low.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down