glad to meetcha

4 posters

Go down

glad to meetcha Empty glad to meetcha

Post by willjr Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:56 am

Hello everyone, I am new here but have been reading the boston.com forum for years. I feel like you are all old friends. First order of business is too tell you guys about myself. I'm a 46 yr old man, raised on Long Island, NY and currently living in Macon, Ga. I have been a celtic fan since I was 9 years old. My first basketball memory was the 1969-70 knicks championship, but my first celtic memory and love affair started with the hondo injury and heartbreaking loss in the 73 conf. finals to the knicks. I've bled celtic green ever since. Trust I am NOT a troll, hey, only a true celtic fan of my generation can call the following roll: Steve Kuberski 33,Kevin Stacom 27, Jim Ard 34, Glenn Mcdonald 30, Norm Cook 52?, Tom Boswell 30, Tub Bradley, et al.
I am looking forward to engaging loyal celtic fans in informed, passionate discussions of our favorite team. Thanks so much, Sam! I hope one day Your "number" will be raised too the roof with the other great contributors of the celtic lore and dynasty.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

glad to meetcha Empty Re: glad to meetcha

Post by willjr Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:05 am

Sorry guys, Tom Boswell's number was 31. Very Happy
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:21 am

Will,

Welcome to the board. Believe me, the last thing I want is for my "number to be up." LOL.

We have at least one other member (GACracker) from Georgia, and I think there may be yet another as well. You guys may wind up taking over the place.

Those were great years. I used to attend a lot of Celtics practices back then, and I got to play some one-on-one with Jim Ard after one of them. (Actually, he palmed me, thinking I was the ball.)

Please post early and often. This is your board.

Best regards,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:59 am

Sam wrote:Will,

We have at least one other member (GACracker) from Georgia, and I think there may be yet another as well. You guys may wind up taking over the place.

Sam

Greetings, Will:

Welcome.

Sam is correct. The growing Ga contingency may well be trying to take over this forum. Jeb is from Chattanooga which is just over the line but hell, he's one of us for darn sure when push comes to shove.

Tell me a bit about Macon. I haven't been there since Gen Sherman rode thru. I've got the Savannah-Athens-Augusta corridor covered but don't know much about your adopted town.

How do they treat displaced Yankees over there?

gacracker

Last edited by gacracker on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Sam, I hope your "number" doesn't come up for a long while, maybe we can bronze your keyboard and display it in the lobby of the garden. Gacracker, hello fellow peachstater! Macon is an okay place to live, does take some getting use to. Its a nice place too visit but unfortunately I have too live here. Seriously though, if I can be of help with any questions about macon just let me know. By the way, as a teen I read a great book on the celtics 1977-78 season called The Short Season by John Powers; when I get nostalgic I'll pull it out. If you can find it, its still a great read.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:42 pm

willjr wrote:Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Sam, I hope your "number" doesn't come up for a long while, maybe we can bronze your keyboard and display it in the lobby of the garden. Gacracker, hello fellow peachstater! Macon is an okay place to live, does take some getting use to. Its a nice place too visit but unfortunately I have too live here. Seriously though, if I can be of help with any questions about macon just let me know. By the way, as a teen I read a great book on the celtics 1977-78 season called The Short Season by John Powers; when I get nostalgic I'll pull it out. If you can find it, its still a great read.

Will: I was feeling you out a bit to see if you knew anything about Macon. If you had said it was a great place to live, I would have reported you as a troll. No question about it.

This forum is a wonderful place to show Celtic pride so let it all hang out. They even tolerate my humor over here... but barely. glad to meetcha Affraid

Have you been in the South long enough to lose that dreaded N.Y. accent? I would recommend that you do. Life gets easier when you develop a bit of a southern T-W-A-N-G.

You know exactly what I mean! glad to meetcha Icon_lol Otherwise, as Jeb would say, folks just might go hick on you.

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks gc, yes I am really stuck here in middle georgia. Maybe we can meet at the ocmulgee riverwalk to view the otis redding statue Very Happy that in itself tells you all you need to know about macon, not much to do here and thats just how the powers that be wants it. I haven't lost all of my accent but that isn't as much a hindrance dealing with the locals as me having a view of the world that extends beyond the bibb county line. Since you live in the state you know exactly what I mean. People here seem to think that their way is the right way and the rest of the world is wrong.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:12 pm

willjr wrote:Thanks gc, yes I am really stuck here in middle georgia. Maybe we can meet at the ocmulgee riverwalk to view the otis redding statue glad to meetcha Icon_biggrin that in itself tells you all you need to know about macon, not much to do here and thats just how the powers that be wants it. I haven't lost all of my accent but that isn't as much a hindrance dealing with the locals as me having a view of the world that extends beyond the bibb county line. Since you live in the state you know exactly what I mean. People here seem to think that their way is the right way and the rest of the world is wrong.

I was thinking that Little Richard put Macon on the map. Am I wrong?

I had forgotten that the Big O was from Macon.

I know that in Augusta when I have family, James Brown, the hardest working man in rock and roll, is DA MAN.

The Masters Golf Tourney of course puts Augusta on the map but JBrown is the city's soul.

Some years back the City of Augusta comissioned a life size statue of Brown to go on main drag, Broad Street downtown. This was in the early part of this decade. The fly in the ointment was that when it came time to dedicate the statue, Brown was in prison AGAIN on a variety (trumpted up, of course glad to meetcha Icon_biggrin ) of drug and firearms charges. So the dedication was delayed just a bit until the honoree could be sprung from jail and be there.

You know with his death, his family/estate will build a memorial in Augusta that will probably rival Gaceland in terms of popularity.

He has huge drawing power... still.

As a backdrop, Broad Street is boarded up with the exception of an occasional pawn shop or a rent to own furniture store but there stands James with mic in hand, head thrown back, sweating and dancing up a storm... and pigeon droppings covering his head and shoulders! (Birds tragically have no anal sphincters, BTW.) Splat!

Quite a showman!

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 am

gc, you are a laugh riot, thanks for the early morning smile you provided. You are right about Little Richard, he is from macon but he is not nearly as celebrated as otis redding probably due to some "youthful indiscretions" and his flamboyant and outspoken ways. As I posted earlier, varied or different opinions are not really welcomed around here. BTW, James Brown 's first hit, please,please,please was recorded in macon.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:45 am

Hey gc, think about this. Augusta has the masters, Atlanta had the Olympics, Savannah has history and tradition, Macon HAD the flag city softball tournament which at one time had over 500 teams competing. Yeah had, the city "leaders" managed to run it away. This city is so lame not even beer drinking fat guys wanted to be here!
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:52 am

willjr wrote:Hey gc, think about this. Augusta has the masters, Atlanta had the Olympics, Savannah has history and tradition, Macon HAD the flag city softball tournament which at one time had over 500 teams competing. Yeah had, the city "leaders" managed to run it away. This city is so lame not even beer drinking fat guys wanted to be here!

will,

That must be the reason why I've never been there!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:09 am

willjr wrote:Hey gc, think about this. Augusta has the masters, Atlanta had the Olympics, Savannah has history and tradition, Macon HAD the flag city softball tournament which at one time had over 500 teams competing. Yeah had, the city "leaders" managed to run it away. This city is so lame not even beer drinking fat guys wanted to be here!

No question about it anymore.... you definitely live in Macon...Gee A! glad to meetcha Fresse

If you are by chance Catholic, your Macon stay should count toward any Purgatory you may have accrued transitioning into the next life.

Hell (pun possibly intended), this could open up saintdom possibilities for you!

Seriously!

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Gc, not catholic, but I did play cyo ball back on Long Island. St. Matthews Dioceses, Rockville Centre. Maybe I'm serving penance for not converting a 3 point play near the end of the 1980 Long Island cyo championship game. A game we lost by 1 point on a buzzer beater. Lord, now I know why thou hath forsaken me. Thanks Gc, for bringing up memories and allowing me to finally understand why I am in Purgatory. Very Happy
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:45 am

willjr wrote:Gc, not catholic, but I did play cyo ball back on Long Island. St. Matthews Dioceses, Rockville Centre. Maybe I'm serving penance for not converting a 3 point play near the end of the 1980 Long Island cyo championship game. A game we lost by 1 point on a buzzer beater. Lord, now I know why thou hath forsaken me. Thanks Gc, for bringing up memories and allowing me to finally understand why I am in Purgatory. glad to meetcha Icon_biggrin

Will: You're not serving penance by any stretch. Missing the "And One" in CYO ball has REAL consequence.... you gone st8 ta HELL. Bibb County no less!

You thought that NBA basketball was a tough business?

Doesn't hold a candle to CYO (or the Crusades come to think of it).

Souls were on the line, mate and you chocked.

Next life... for Gawd sake, get it right! glad to meetcha Icon_razz

GC
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks Gc, you sure know how to make a guy feel better! Crying or Very sad
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down