What Are Celtics Going To Do At Season's End?

+10
bigpygme
NYCelt
mulcogiseng
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
Hoopdeedoo
Sam
jeb
sdceltfan
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What Are Celtics Going To Do At Season's End? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Are Celtics Going To Do At Season's End?

Post by jeb Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:07 pm

sdcelt

I know you bleed green like the rest of us but we just differ on our opinions.

I like our chances and I have watched almost every game. I agree age shows up and the big three have slipped some. But I disagree that they have slipped so much they are not strong contenders for the title the next two years.

I also dont see the Lakers repeating with the team they currently have. I truly dont. We all have different perspectives on the team and the wider league. But I dont feel like I am not a realist. Most guys on this board I feel are realist.

I respect your opinion but I feel different. That's cool. It is still really early in the season. The Lakers and the Cavs both have their whole team and we do not and will not til QUis and BBD get back. PP and Ticket will be back before you know it. So we will see and time will tell the tale.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

What Are Celtics Going To Do At Season's End? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Are Celtics Going To Do At Season's End?

Post by sdceltfan Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Jeb, I like your attitude. We can agree to disagree. It is great to agree on one thing: Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Sd

We ALL agree on that. I really enjoy hearing opposing views. Many times I have changed or altered my perspective as the result of a disagreement on the board.

And it's good to keep an open mind and examine new evidence in a rational way.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:37 am

Outside wrote:SD,

I do think your question is relevant because there are a couple of logical courses that management could take -- a) ride this group of veterans until it falls apart; or b) try to trade some veterans and rebuild on the fly to stay competitive longer. Both options have their risks. I'm inclined to favor keeping the veteran group together as long as possible because the opportunity to have a championship-caliber team is rare, but the ability to rebuild on the fly is even rarer. Take advantage of the opportunity you've been able to build, right here, right now.

Outside

i agree with a whole lot on this whole thread, and especially like this idea from Outside that the opportunity to build on-the-fly is very rare -- and the Celtics have an opportunity to do that. personally i agree that adding some more speed to the frontcourt would be helpful, though Danny seems to have chosen a different tack with his 2 year offer to Sheed. more speed would mean someone could run with Rondo in the open court, playing into his skill set more - i think that would be a good thing for team development overall.
(of course, we already have younger guys who might be able to do that but who apparently aren't ready for game time yet ! )
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:29 am

The one and only problem I have with Wallace is his stubborness to stand out at the three point line night after night and just throw them up. The other night with KG out it was obvious how much help Perk was going to need down under on the offensive end. Yet, the ball would go into Wallace he would pass it back out, and then, lo and behold, he would be just standing at the three point line waiting to chuck one up. He is so good down under the basket, he could have eaten them alive. So his stubborness is bothersome to me a bit. I still like the sign, especially in May and June when you need a guy of his caliber playing out there.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Rosalie -
i guess stubborness is as good a word for it as any other.

still, how does the old joke go, the scorpion asked the frog to give him a ride across the pond, then stung and killed him and said, "you knew what i was when you brought me on ..."

we (i.e., Danny) knew what Sheed was about when we brought him on. i for one hoped he would change, respond to the C's locker room dynamic and the strong coaching staff, but so far Sheed is just doing it the same way as he had in Detroit ... sad. and regrettable ...
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Doc hasn't seemed to invoke his will on this team, and Wallace in particular. I am disappointed in that. I do believe Ainge will get some points across if Doc doesn't get more response.

What has disappointed me more than any other thing is the Celtics' inability to take advantage of obvious frontcourt mismatches. Doc says the Celtics don't always play smart. Why not? They are a veteran team. If they don't play smart on their own, why can't Doc impart some smarts of his own? Aren't they listening?

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Sd

Your post is very relevant. As a matter of fact I thought about making a similar post several weeks ago but never got around to it.

I do not agree with you regarding their chances of winning # 18. I believe that if the Celtics are healthy, they still have another run in them.

Looking toward the future really has nothing to do with what is happening or will happen this year.

Having said that you concerns about where they go after this season are very important. The Celtics do need a young stud at the 2/3 spot to stay competitive Is Giddens that guy? What about Walker? We really cannot answer that question yet.

I think this is one of the problems with Doc Rivers. His pecking order mentality does not allow for a player at the 11th or 12th spot to jump into the 8th spot on this roster. If Doc does not play Giddens or Walker this year then we will not know if we can still be good without Ray Allen.

If I was the GM I would be looking to add a young wing player next year and if it meant that I couldn't keep Ray Allen I would be fine with that.

I think it will be virtually impossible to let the older players just play out their careers in Boston and remain competitive.

On WEEI DA did an interview and they asked him about Giddens and he said Giddens plays great in practice.

This is a problem but it is because the Celtics are a very deep team.

So far DA has done a masterful job of assembling the roster over the past 3 years. His next challenge will be to secure the 1st major rebuilding piece.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Gyso

If you got your ears on lemme know how we could go about this "rebuilding on the fly" everyone seems to want to do. It seems to me it would have to involve moving Ray before his contract expires. But I am not really sure and dont feel I have all the angles covered. Maybe we keep Ray at a cheaper price and add another mid level ecxeption type salary guy next year.

I guess I just cant get behind breaking this team up. Not this year. Chemistry is fickle and we can win it. How often does that happen?

I dont buy into the Leon karma talk but I do feel we would be showing no class to show Ray the door as he has done everything asked of him in a truly professional, passionate manner. I would love to see him retire in green. He is everything I like about hoop.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:38 am

Today, I will eat my words for one day! Wallace was terrific last night and he played the game the way he should play every night. They didn't have an answer for him. Toronto is stacked with great 3 point shooters, Bosh is a terrific ball player. But they really don't play defense at all, and all the other two want to do is shoot three's.

This was a great win for this team. It shows what talent is on the bench and should be playing for often. I realize it is a hard task figuring out playing times, but, let these young guys show what they can do when it counts, not at the end of the game when most of the starters for the other team are on the bench. I was disappointed he didn't put Walker in there for a few plays. I'd like to see how far along he has come, Hudson, to me is a keeper. I like this kid alot.

I can't concern myself with what will happen at the end of the year or next year. I am going to enjoy the ride for as far as it takes me, hopefully to the finals and a win.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2