According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful

+3
tjmakz
Outside
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful Empty According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:39 am

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/2/27/5455122/according-to-my-sources-your-sources-are-awful?utm_source=celticsblog&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful
By evansclinchy  @evansclinchy on Feb 27 2014, 7:37p 76

According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful 463339171.0_standard_709.0
Rajon Rondo isn't listening. - Jared Wickerham
Some anonymous source told ESPN that Rajon Rondo is "overrated," labeling him the 40th-best point guard in the NBA. Why does nonsense like this even get published?

Given that today was, you know, a day ending in Y, I knew I wouldn't be able to make it through the day without at some point checking Twitter to see what new handful of mud was being slung at Rajon Rondo.

We've reached the point that this is a daily occurrence. The Celtics are in the midst of one of their worst seasons in franchise history, and there's a common thread in many circles of fans that once you've "blown it up," the logical next step is to "blow it up" even more. Now that Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett are gone, Rondo's got to be shipped out too. That's the storyline that's got people buzzing, so reporters are naturally going to feed the beast by releasing new stuff daily about Rondo's trade value. He's overrated; he's underrated. He's worth two first-round picks; he's cap filler. This dialogue goes back and forth, on and on and on and on, seemingly never ending.

There's so much noise out there now that if you want people to really notice, you've got to say something truly outrageous to grab readers' attention. And evidently, there are some "sources" out there willing to oblige.

Today's Rondo bombshell was this: According to an anonymous Eastern Conference scout quoted by ESPN's Chris Broussard, Rondo is the most overrated player in the NBA. The source branded Rondo as selfish because of his obsessive assist-chasing and proceeded to boldly declare that "if I was starting a team and had my choice of any point guard, he would be 40th."

I was dumbfounded when I first came across that quote. That number, 40, was so outlandish to me, it might as well have been a billion. I couldn't even size up what that number meant. I had no frame of reference. So to get some context, I browsed over to ESPN's Hollinger stats page and checked out the list of the league's top point guards, ranked by PER. What exactly does 40th mean?

Hmm, let's see. Jordan Farmar is the No. 33 point guard in the league this year, by the numbers. Shelvin Mack is No. 34. Will Bynum ranks 35th. Then you've got Brian Roberts, Kendall Marshall, Cory Joseph ... oof. At No. 40, Rondo would slot right in between Jameer Nelson and Shaun Livingston.

This is absurd.

I mean, of course it's absurd. It's absolutely bonkers. If you don't think Rondo is the best pointman in the league, or even top five, that's fine - I totally respect that opinion, and on some nights I think you might be right. And if you want to have an intelligent discussion about whether you'd slot Rondo sixth or eighth ... yeah, sure, I'm game. But to put him at No. 40? That's just dumb.

Obviously it's dumb. I know it's dumb and so do you - you wouldn't be reading a site called CelticsBlog if you disagreed. But there's a bigger question to be asked here - why does dumb stuff get said, and why does it get published on the internet when it's only going to get inevitably laughed at?

Deadspin got wind of this little nugget today and referred to the Rondo comments as "the troll-scout treatment," which is perfect. This unnamed scout is doing to the NBA what a kajillion random blog commenters have done before - he's trolling us. He's picking a silly fight just to mess with us ... and hey, if he can stymie a rival team by devaluing its trade asset in the process, then that's just gravy.

Fine. People with other NBA teams have a motive to take potshots at Rondo from time to time. I can understand that. I find it annoying, but I won't lose sleep over it.

The next question, though, is what business ESPN has publishing this stuff.

We live in a competitive era where every news outlet is greedy for clicks. If you've got a story that will get people's attention, you run with it, integrity be damned. Some scout talked smack about Rondo? Ooh - that's news.

But maybe it shouldn't be. The point of journalism is to dig deep and find the truth, using your sources to guide the story. It's not about finding the opinions of one nutjob - a nutjob, mind you, who can hide behind his anonymity without any fear of the public ridiculing him - and giving it ink.

It's not that anonymous sources are altogether useless. Far from it. In fact, it was Broussard who, four years ago, used them to piece together that LeBron James was heading to the Miami Heat in free agency. He used his behind-the-scenes connections to dominate that story, beating every other reporter in the game to that scoop. That's a job well done.

But there's a time and place. "I know where LeBron will sign" is news, and you need sources to track that down. But "Rajon Rondo sucks?" That's not a news item. That's just a loudmouth giving an opinion.

This Rondo buzz doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but there's a slippery slope here. If ESPN sends the message that anonymous slander is OK, then people might get carried away and start using it to drive stories that are really important.

Case in point: Slate published a fantastic article a couple of weeks ago by Stefan Fatsis, explaining how Sports Illustrated botched the story of NFL prospect Michael Sam coming out. The SI reporters covered the Sam news by asking football decision-makers, completely anonymously, whether the league was ready for its first gay player. Because the sources didn't have to worry about their names being attached to their bigotry, they said wrong-headed things like how gay players would "chemically imbalance" a locker room because football is "still a man's man game."

There was no need to go off the record for that stuff - if you want an opinion on Michael Sam, all you have do is ask, and there are dozens of players, coaches and front-office people willing to give one on the record. To let your sources stay anonymous is nothing more than cowardice. Plain and simple.

The same logic applies to this Rondo situation. Do you want to write about how Rondo stinks? Fine - do some actual journalism. Talk to coaches and players about his weaknesses. Dig into the film and the statistics and find real evidence. Have some nuanced discussions with reasonable people - not lunatics who say things like "he would be 40th."

Someone said that Rajon Rondo isn't a top-39 point guard. Whatever, someone said a dumb thing on the internet. I'll live. But the greater evil here is the so-called journalism that injects this nonsense into the conversation in the first place. The real troll here isn't Anonymous Scout X - it's Chris Broussard.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful Empty Re: According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful

Post by Outside Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:40 am

I agree -- Chris Boussard is an idiot. I cannot understand how he stays employed at ESPN. I know ESPN is a great media punching bag, but not everyone there is awful. Broussard is awful almost all the time.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful Empty Re: According To My Sources, Your Sources Are Awful

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 pm

What did Broussard do wrong?
He interviewed three longtime NBA scouts, and one of them ranked Rondo as the 40th ranked point guard, which yes, is beyond absurd. Was Broussard supposed to censor that opinion?
Rondo is a top 10 point guard on his worst day and a top 2 point guard when he's playing well.
Broussard isn't the one that made that crazy statement about Rondo.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/02/rajon_rondo_of_boston_celtics_9.html
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:14 pm

tjmakz wrote:What did Broussard do wrong?
He interviewed three longtime NBA scouts, and one of them ranked Rondo as the 40th ranked point guard, which yes, is beyond absurd. Was Broussard supposed to censor that opinion?
Rondo is a top 10 point guard on his worst day and a top 2 point guard when he's playing well.
Broussard isn't the one that made that crazy statement about Rondo.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/02/rajon_rondo_of_boston_celtics_9.html

TJ,

Censor that opinion?  Perhaps not, but shouldn't he have pressed that GM more as to why his opinion is SO far out of whack with what every other GM says?  What does he see that makes him such an outlier that nobody else is seeing?  There might be people out there who still think the world is flat, should a scientific journalist just quote them without also providing the reader with some explanation as to why their perception of reality is so out-of-sync with everybody else's?  By just citing him anonymously without explanation, on an opinion that makes him stand out, lends credence to it without substantiating it and that's poor journalism and that's what my beef is with Broussard.  He's a mile-wide and a a mil-deep.  I've seen Marmite spread thicker than Chris Broussard and it's equally appealing (I have not acquired the taste.  In fact, I used a butter knife to scrape it off my tongue).  Outside can speak for himself.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:35 pm

Broussard isn't the one that made that crazy statement about Rondo, but he is the one presenting it as "news" worth reading about without any context or offsetting opinions.

He's not obnoxious like Stephen A. and seems like a personable enough fellow, but I have repeatedly listened to what he has to say and come away with the impression that he doesn't know what he's talking about and relies on limited sources to form his opinions for him. I cannot recall a time that he said something and I thought, "good point." What he says is either obvious to a well-informed NBA fan or is a regurgitation of something said by one of his sources without the ability to filter that input or put it in context (the article in this thread being an example).

I'll contrast him with people like Doris Burke, Tim Legler, Jon Barry, and Greg Anthony. Apparently some people don't like Barry, and I believe Anthony isn't with ESPN now, but these people make insightful and interesting observations about the game. All of these people have their sources, but their sources are mainly background information for them, while sources are the bread and butter of what Broussard says.

Calling him an idiot previously was harsh on my part. I just don't think he's very capable. He's a conduit for what people tell him, not an actual analyst.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi,
I mentioned the above article in other thread about RR, where Sam posted a harsh post about A. Sherrod Blakley. I believe those are 2 apples from the same tree.
I can not help but ask:
TJ, do you think Broussard did the right thing?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Yes. Rondo is most definitely overrated.

Double-doubles and triple-doubles have absolutely NOTHING to do with any form of basketball proficiency. To suggest otherwise would be utterly ridiculous.

Passing ability and lane penetration are not the mark of a true point guard.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Sinus, you beat me to it because I've been indisposed until about half an hour ago.  You're right.  This is just another Easy Newsmeister.  Unimportant species.  He doesn't have to censor the opinion of just one scout, but he should have the good judgment to realize that it's just ONE SCOUT, who could easily have some axe to grind against Rondo, the Celtics, or—for that matter—problems at home.

Have you ever used Trip Advisor reviews in planning a trip.  Regardless of how great an accommodation or restaurant is rated by virtually every reviewer, there's invariably one bozo who has an axe to grind.  I recently went on Trip Advisor for reviews about a small restaurant in Paris; and it was rated as outstanding (with terms like "gem," "treasure," "best meal I had in Paris," "felt at home with the delightful service, the rustic ambience, and the homestyle cooking," and "came back the next noon and night for more."

But there was one schmuck who complained that that service was terribly slow.  And (I still can't believe this), he actually had the temerity—make that the stupidity—to use, as justification for his assessment, the fact that it ruined dinner for his (wait for it)  PARTY OF 18.  It definitely pays to realize that there can be a representative of the lunatic fringe in any group of people.

This writer had the responsibility to discriminate between the lunatic fringe and the opinions that mathematically outweighed the idiot's.  But he seized upon something titillating to succumb to the Easy News syndrome.

A pox on Broussard and all who are like him.

And I'm someone who cares not a whit about rankings of players.  I think they're ill-advised (my dependable, polite synonym for many other, more pejorative, adjectives).  But I do object to this jerk's going out of his way to pile a load of crap on the leader of a team that's struggling earnestly to get back to respectability, based on the ranting of one imbecile.

As for the "anonymous" Eastern scout who lacks the ganas to make himself known, like a kid who tattles on another and then runs away, I bet his team sucks (not a bad bet in the East).  And I hope they lose the rest of their games in this century and he is singled out for dismissal a.s.a.p.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:55 pm

I don't think it has been mentioned what this whole story is about.
Yesterday, Broussard came out with a story on ESPN Insider that is titled NBA's most overrated, underrated.

This lists many, many players who are being analyzed by Scouts.
Broussard did not comment, reply to or censor any of the comments that were being made to him.

For those that don't subscribe to ESPN Insider, I copied the story below.

NBA's most overrated, underrated

Scouts put Ricky Rubio in first group, Goran Dragic and Chris Bosh in latter

Updated: February 27, 2014, 4:39 PM ET

By  Chris Broussard | ESPN Insider

Ricky Rubio
David Sherman/NBAE via Getty Images
Some believe that Timberwolves guard Ricky Rubio gets more hype than he is due.

The NBA just held its midseason showcase, the All-Star Game, in New Orleans, and as always, there was endless debate about who should have and shouldn't have played in the game:

• Should Kyrie Irving have started for the East over John Wall?

• Should Goran Dragic have made the Western Conference team?

• Why didn't Lance Stephenson make the squad?

• Did the fans totally miss the boat by "benching" Dwight Howard?

This led me to wonder about which players in the league are overrated and underrated. For the answers, I went to three longtime NBA scouts, guys who have roughly 60 years of league experience combined.

I asked each scout to name his three most overrated and underrated players in the game. Here are the scouts' choices, along with a sample of what they had to say about each player:

Overrated

Ricky Rubio, PG, Minnesota Timberwolves

Western Conference scout: "Part of why he's overrated is the 'Rubio thing.' If he was Ricky Rubio from Wichita State, there'd be no conversation about him. But since he came over with so much hype, he gets scrutinized more than he otherwise would. If you watch Minnesota closely, you'll see that he doesn't even finish games. It's one of the biggest contentions within that organization -- the fact that Rubio doesn't finish the games. It drives management crazy because he's their guy. He's supposed to be their future. They tried like crazy to trade [backup] J.J. Barea at the trade deadline, and that's one of the reasons why, because Barea's been finishing games.

"I like the way he passes and runs a team, but his lack of shooting ability is really an issue. If you've got four capable scorers on the floor, you can kind of get away with him, but if not, Rubio gets exposed. Guys back off of Rubio. He shot an air-ball 3-pointer the other night, missing it by 3 feet. It landed in the paint. He's good in transition and he can make plays in the open court, but in the playoffs, when the game gets slower and compressed, you don't have to guard that guy and he becomes a liability."

Eastern Conference scout: "Rubio probably has the best vision of any guard in the NBA. Nobody has better vision. He can really deliver on the pass. But he's very weak defensively, and he simply can't shoot the ball. I don't like players that can't shoot because during the playoffs, you need a guy on the floor who can be a threat. At the end of games -- when Rubio's on the floor, that is -- teams back off of him and literally want him to shoot. I just don't know if you can win big with him as your starting point guard. Sure, if you put four great players around him, maybe. But he's so terrible defensively and as a shooter that it's tough."

Kyrie Irving, PG, Cleveland Cavaliers

Western Conference scout: "I think Kyrie is overrated because he's the anointed one; he was the first pick in the draft, and his team doesn't win. Everybody talks about how well he played in the All-Star Game, but who cares? It's an All-Star Game. That doesn't mean anything. I'm looking at the fact that it's late February of his third season in the league and his team is disappointing. So I'd say he's having a disappointing year. I don't want to throw him in the category of being a dog, because he's definitely a very talented player, but I do put him in the overrated category. He hasn't lived up to the expectations to date.

[+] EnlargeKyrie Irving

Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty Images
"Everybody talks about how well [Kyrie Irving] played in the All-Star Game, but who cares? It's an All-Star Game. That doesn't mean anything," a Western conference scout said.

"[Cleveland owner] Dan Gilbert has been very public about what his expectations were coming into this season. When you go and spend money on Jarrett Jack and you trade for Luol Deng, you're committed to winning. You're all-in. I think Kyrie is Stephon Marbury. Marbury was a great talent, too, but he never won. Steph was a pain in the butt, and Kyrie's not like that. He's not malicious. He's smart, he's more polished than Marbury. He's got the commercials and he's an engaging personality, but engaging only takes you so far. I really think he's just a scorer, and that's what Steph was. Kyrie can do whatever he wants to. He's got the ball on a string, he can get in the lane whenever he wants, but so far, he's chosen just to be a scorer rather than getting other guys involved. Guys say he doesn't trust his teammates, but you're talking about Luol Deng and Tristan Thompson. Those are good players. I'm just not buying into Kyrie."

Larry Sanders, C, Milwaukee Bucks

Western Conference scout: "A few years ago, Milwaukee was looking to trade Sanders at the deadline. It was his rookie year, he didn't play, and they just wanted to get out of his rookie contract. Then, the next year he blows up -- he played really, really well -- and then they gave him the four-year, $44 million contract. My point is, even they weren't sure about him. I just don't think his sample size was big enough to give him a contract like that. I always say scouting is like ice skating or diving: You throw out the high one because he's not that good and you throw out the low one because he's never that bad. He's somewhere in between. Sanders was a mutt his first two years, then he had a good year. Is he the mutt or the great player? He's somewhere in between. But he's being paid like a great player, and that's the problem."

Deron Williams, PG, Brooklyn Nets

Eastern Conference scout: "I think his best days are behind him. I've watched him the last two years, and this is not the D-Will I remember in Utah, who I thought was maybe the best point guard in the NBA. I actually think Shaun Livingston is running the team better than Williams is right now. Maybe when Deron gets healthy, he'll get it back. But he's been playing this way for the last two years. I don't think he'll ever be the player he used to be."

Rudy Gay, SF, Sacramento Kings

Eastern Conference scout: "He's been passed around so much with trades because he's hard to play with. He's not a chemistry guy. He's always looking to shoot the ball. He's got great size for his position and he's athletic as hell, but I don't think he's got the right mentality. He doesn't make big shots. He can't be your No. 1 guy. He's a No. 3 guy, but to be honest, even then I don't know how he blends in on a team that's trying to win a championship. He's certainly a talented player, but he doesn't do anything really well. He doesn't shoot it real well. Sometimes, he's out of control. He makes bad decisions."

Rajon Rondo, PG, Boston Celtics

Eastern Conference scout: "Three years ago, I was the only scout saying Rondo is overrated, and I was crucified for it. I was saying he was awful. I think he's a selfish player. He's only going to pass it to you if he thinks he can get an assist. I've seen him come out for pregame warm-ups with his shoes untied, shooting lefty foul shots. For him to come out for a game with that attitude makes me question his work ethic. I've never liked his game.

"If you play with Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen at close to their peak, they're going to raise everyone's game. Defensively, Rondo's a bit of a gambler, and I don't think his defense is all that. If I was starting a team and had my choice of any point guard, he would be 40th. I mean it. I'd take some backups before him."

Josh Smith, F, Detroit Pistons

Eastern Conference scout: "If you have him on your team, you're doomed to fail. He has flashes of potential, but that potential will get you fired. He cares about his salary and living the NBA life. I don't think he takes his craft seriously. That's why for Mike Woodson and Larry Drew to win a round in the playoffs with him was about as far as they could go. Josh is incredibly talented. He can really fill up the stat sheet on any given night. But he's a tease."

Iman Shumpert, G, New York Knicks

Eastern Conference scout: "I could put any Knick besides Carmelo Anthony on this list. If Shumpert played anywhere else, no one would've heard of him. He has no value. What can he do? He can't shoot. He's not a slasher or a scorer. I think his defense is overrated. [This] is just typical New York media blowing a player up."

Underrated

Goran Dragic, PG, Phoenix Suns

Western Conference scout: "I think he can do what he's done this year for the next four or five years. We all saw Dragic play in Europe, and he couldn't make a shot over there. He was fast. He can run, he can jump, he's fast-twitch. And he's made himself into a shooter.

[+] EnlargeGoran Dragic

Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports
Goran Dragic has kept the Suns right in the thick of the playoff hunt.

"You go underneath the pick and he's going to make shots. He's really good. It's a credit to his work ethic. He's a little bigger than you think he is. He's thick and he's strong. To have a team with no other stars that lost Eric Bledsoe to injury be in the playoff hunt in the West? He's a damn good player."

Eastern Conference scout: "He's got it all. There's nothing he doesn't do well. If there's anything, it's that he may not have the greatest speed. But with the ball in his hands, he's fast, and he gets by people. He's got a great first step and he's quick as hell when it comes to that.

"He can make open shots, he's big, he's got skill and he can finish. I love size. I don't like small guards. I think a big point guard is an advantage. I've seen enough of him to know that if I was a GM and I needed a point guard, I'd do whatever it takes to get him. If I was looking for a point guard, he'd be right at the top of the list. I think he's the real deal."

Marc Gasol, C, Memphis Grizzlies

Western Conference scout: "Wait until he's a free agent, he'll be right there at the top of the list. He's the anchor of the Grizzlies' team. He does everything for them. As well as Mike Conley and Zach Randolph have played, everything goes through Gasol. Conley brings the ball up and initiates stuff, but everything goes through Gasol.

"When the game is slow the way Memphis likes it and teams want to play frenetic and speed the game up, he won't let it happen. Here's what he'll do: He'll grab a defensive rebound and he'll sense that the game is changing -- not the momentum, not who's in the lead, but the style of play. So he'll grab the rebound and hold the ball. Conley or Tony Allen will be looking for the outlet pass, but Gasol will hold the ball and make sure this possession is a half-court set. It's so subtle. Nobody will even know what he's doing. He's just so cerebral. He knows when to take a hard foul. He's so efficient. He's the clear-cut leader of that team, despite the fact that Conley has the ball all the time. He's the guy."

Eastern Conference scout: "He's just consistent. You know what you're going to get from him every night. There's no big pendulum swing with him. And he complements that team so well, especially Randolph. Zach is the main offensive threat, and Marc is a great passing big man so he doesn't have to be scoring to affect the offensive end of the floor. He's a phenomenal passer. That really separates him. He can get offensive rebounds. He's a pick-and-pop player. He can post up. And he gets it done defensively and as a rebounder."

Chris Bosh, PF, Miami Heat

Western Conference scout: "One night when LeBron was out, he scored 37 against Portland. He looked like the same guy he was in Toronto, except he's become a better shooter. He's really worked at it. He can really shoot the ball from 17, 18 feet. I think people working in the league recognize how valuable he is to that team, but to the public, it'll always be about LeBron and Dwyane Wade. It always will be and that's fine. But they might be able to advance further without Wade than if they were without Bosh. Without Bosh, they don't win the East. They just wouldn't be big enough. As good as LeBron is, they wouldn't have any post presence at all. Bosh is really their second guy behind LeBron now because of Wade's injuries. Everybody around the league knows it."

Mike Conley, PG, Memphis Grizzlies

Eastern Conference scout: "Every year, he gets better. He shoots it well. He's a true point guard. He really runs a team well. He's going to look to make passes, but when you need him to score, he can and will. When you back off of him, he buries the shot. He's got two big guys in Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph and he looks to get them the ball. That's the way he likes to play."

Paul Millsap, PF, Atlanta Hawks

Eastern Conference scout: "He's good. I think he gets overlooked because of his size. He's not a big guy as far as 4-men go. He plays the 3 sometimes, though. He can score. He can rebound. He's just a good all-around player. I think if you had two really good stars, he could be your third guy on a championship-level team. He's better as a 4, but he's effective at the 3. He's a pretty good shooter, he's pretty agile and he's pretty quick. If Al Horford was healthy playing beside Millsap, Atlanta would be pretty good."

Al Jefferson, C, Charlotte Bobcats

Eastern Conference scout: "He's got the Kevin McHale repertoire on the block. That's an exaggeration, but my point is that he has the whole package of offensive post moves. If he gets the ball on that left block, he's automatic. He has the little hook. He can go across the middle. He can go the other way. He has all the countermoves. All the other big guys, you can push them off the block or make them make a move and then stop them. But Jefferson has all the counters. He can hit the 15-foot jumper. He's comfortable off the block. He can go with the left hand."

Lance Stephenson, G, Indiana Pacers

Eastern Conference scout: "He's just a pit bull. He's rounded out his game. He takes the challenge defensively, and then offensively, you can't discount him. Years ago, as an opponent, you would game plan for him to get the ball. You wanted him shooting it. Now, you can't game plan like that."

Chris Broussard | email
NBA analyst
Follow
Archive
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:09 pm

So it was two comments from one scout on which Broussard felt felt obliged to publish his Easy News? Well, that certainly makes it okay with me. I hadn't realized that the scout had actually made two whole comments. If the report was taken out of context (which I don't believe matters in this case), it was done (intentionally) by Broussard, not by us.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Sam,

I don't think Broussard picked and choosed which comments to use.
Each scout brought up different players that were overrated and underrated and Broussard passed along the comments.

I still don't get why Broussard is being hammered on this one.
He's the messenger. He didn't say: "Hey, don't you think Rondo is kind of overrated?" Broussard did not bring up Rondo's name. This article wasn't just about Rondo, many players were mentioned.

Do I like Chris Broussard? Not much at all. He seems like a wannabe who wants to hang around players and get the inside scoup. He is not articulate or very insightful. I have no problems with this article.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:40 pm

TJ,

There were two comments from this one scout. Whether he cherry picked them or they were the only two such comments, it shows a lack of judgment in making such a big deal of that jerk's spew. You're welcome to pick which type of misjudgment he used.

He's being hammered because he elected to make a showpiece out of what appears to have been a minority opinion (although, frankly, I didn't peruse the column closely enough—weak stomach—to see whether he also expressed the majority views (2 out of 3—an absolutely massive majority, huh?)

You're welcome not to have problems with this article and to post same on this board.

I disagree, as I feel it was a gratuitous slam, based on "evidence" that was less than scant, at a player during a pivotal period when he's working hard to make a comeback.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi,
Either I'm an idiot or this "Eastern Conference scout" is an idiot. Besides the ridiculousness of the opinion that RR is no better than 39 PG in NBA. OK, I can accept that it's his opinion. But look at what he also said: " I think he's a selfish player. He's only going to pass it to you if he thinks he can get an assist ." But of course, if he doesn't get an assist there's no score, if there's no score the team looses. Duh!
Unless, of course, if one of the main goals of the game of basketball is to score as less points as possible.

And Broussard publishes this idiocy. What was that line in ABBA's song - Money, Money you're funny...?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:30 pm

For him to say Rondo is lazy based on watching him have an untied shoelace at a pregame shoot around and to ignore the obsessive earnestness of Rondo's preparation and play is like calling Shakespeare an outdated writer for not using a word processor. No perspective. Miniscule intellect.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:46 pm

TJ,

Broussard is a tool. Why would he even allow such comments to even enter his article? This is precisely one of the reasons that ESPN is just flat out terrible; just about everyone there is some kind of moron. If your sources are just plain stupid, why print them?

He should be grilled visciously for this.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:05 am

Hey, KJ.  We're doing our best!  LOL.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm

sam wrote:Hey, TJ.  We're doing our best!  LOL.

Sam

Sam,

I have no idea what your post means...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

TJ,

It was a typo. It should have been KJ. Sorry about that. I've now changed it.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down