Kyle Anderson Declares For The Draft

4 posters

Go down

Kyle Anderson Declares For The Draft Empty Kyle Anderson Declares For The Draft

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Kyle Anderson, of UCLA, has declared for the draft.

A 6'9", 235#, 7'2 1/2" wingspan Point Guard.  Draftexpress has him listed as a SF, I don't know why, I saw him play point and that's what all the buzz about him is.  Some have compared him to Magic.  That's just plain silly, of course, the only real similarity is that they're both 6'9" point guards (and it takes more than that to get into the HOF last time I looked) but they wouldn't compare him to Magic if he was a SF.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Anderson-6177/

If the pingpong balls don't bounce our way, and we end up with the #7 pick or something like that, I wouldn't mind trading down and taking him at around 14-16 and Nic Stauskas at #18.  Maybe do a little trading for an early 2nd rounder and take AJ Hammons.

Draftexpress has us taking some french toothpick, Clint Capela (6'11", 211#, 7'4 1/2" wingspan) with #18.  Sorry, I'm done with toothpicks.  I want a tall brute in the middle or, at least, someone who won't get pushed under the basket like Jujuan and Fab were.  Check out the video scouting report.  One of his strengths is that he "can play above the rim".  I'm sorry again, but I'm not impressed when someone with a 9'4" standing reach can play above a rim that's only 8" higher than his hands.

MEAT.  It's what's for center.

For the full article, including stats:  

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Clint-Capela-6359/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kyle Anderson Declares For The Draft Empty Re: Kyle Anderson Declares For The Draft

Post by Sam Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Nice closing line, Bob.  Didn't we discuss this guy just the other day?  To me, this guy sounds like the poor man's Exum.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Kyle Anderson Declares For The Draft Empty Re: Kyle Anderson Declares For The Draft

Post by Outside Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:21 pm

My take on Kyle Anderson, repeated from a post I made on another thread. I made one small edit because I can't help myself in that regard.

Regarding Kyle Anderson of UCLA, yes, he's 6' 9" (or thereabouts) and he did play point guard, but he isn't the second coming of Magic Johnson. It will be interesting to see how Anderson works out in the NBA.

The good: he's a decent ballhandler, and he has good court vision and excellent poise. He uses his height well to deliver the ball over shorter defenders to teammates. From my perspective, the combination of his height and poise makes him an intriguing prospect at point guard.

The worrisome: while he played point guard prior to high school, he was a wing player (small forward or shooting guard) through high school and last year [his freshman year] at UCLA, so he's not as experienced at the position as you'd like a prospect to be. Unlike Magic, he's relatively slow and unathletic. He's a liability on defense, where almost everyone has a quickness advantage on him (that wasn't much of an issue for Magic until later years when he got heavier and slower).

Quickness and unspectacular ballhandling will be issues at the NBA level, but I really, really like his poise. The guy is unflappable, and that's a huge asset at any position, but particularly point guard.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Anderson and Exum both look like good prospects, but I'd take Marcus Smart over both of them. I think he's ready to step in and play. I like Smart because I think he can easily play either guard position in the NBA. If he wan't available, and we're shopping for a 2-guard, I'd go with Gary Harris for his outstanding shooting; he can also play point. Exum is getting a lot of attention, but I'm as unsure about Aussies as I am Euros. The players not the currency. OK, the currency too.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Follow up, here's Kyle Anderson's Draftexpress scouting report.  They have us taking him with Brooklyn's #17 pick.

6'8 1/2" - 6'9", 230#, 7'2 1/2" wingspan (and has grown an extra 1/2" - 1" every year since 2010 when it was 7'1").  Shoots 48% from 2 AND 3.  He shoots the same % from 2 as from 3?  That's really odd.  6.5 assists in 33 minutes and 3.1 TOs.  That's good.  8.8 rebounds in 33.

I can't cut-and-paste the scouting video, so here's the draftexpress link to his page.  The scouting report is down near the bottom of his page.  He seems slow but he also comes across as "deliberate".  In other words, no blinding first step but he seems to know how to get his man where he wants him.  IQ.

If he's on the board at #17, I'm liking him.  His courtvision is actually really impressive.  If Nic Stauskas is still on the board, and he's not expected to be, then maybe he fits "the assassin" role we need better.  Maybe McDermott does too, and at #17 he might be ok, but he's expected to be long gone already.  If we take Aaron Gordon, then I don't think we need Kyle Anderson.

His athleticism is an issue, but a high IQ 6'9" PG that can shoot covers a multitude of sins.

Check out the video.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Anderson-6177/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Again, it bothers me not to read anything about his defense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:33 pm

sam wrote:Again, it bothers me not to read anything about his defense.

Sam

sam,

The video says one of his weakness is his defense.

DEFENSE

Poor defender on the block and on the perimeter
Lacks the footspeed to keep wings in front of him
Not all that tough. 230# but lacks definition
Who will he guard? Is his offense good enough to keep him on the floor?

Obviously, not exactly a sterling review, but if we don't take him then who do we take at #17? The French toothpick?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down