NYCelt
k_j_88
Sam
bobheckler
kdp59
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Asik for Green again? - Page 2 Empty Re: Asik for Green again?

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm in agreement swish I would want to keep Asik too if I was a Rockets fan, my point was agreeing that it would he hard to keep both Lin and Asik next year at 15 mill each and IMHO Asik is more needed to keep that team winning than Lin.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm not sure who would take Lin.  Still, it doesn't look like Asik is someone they are going to want to part with now that they've moved him into the starting lineup.  I'm not sure if the announcer was Breen or whoever was covering the game and discussing it the other night, but apparently the PF spot is now his. It doesn't sound like he's a guy they're thinking of dealing.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:26 pm

worcester wrote:Could not we make a trade for Asik contingent upon him committing to a three year contract with the Celts for $15M - $6M -$6M? Is that legal in the NBA?

Big Al signed a contract with Bobcats for 44 mill for 4 years.

Perk makes about 9 mill a year, I think Asik could be worth 9-10 mill a year, doubt 6 would do it.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:30 pm

NYCelt wrote:I'm not sure who would take Lin.  Still, it doesn't look like Asik is someone they are going to want to part with now that they've moved him into the starting lineup.  I'm not sure if the announcer was Breen or whoever was covering the game and discussing it the other night, but apparently the PF spot is now his. It doesn't sound like he's a guy they're thinking of dealing.

Terrence Jones cannot handle LaMarcus Aldridge. I think this roster lineup change boils down to that. If we give them someone who can handle Aldridge, Bass or Hump, then that problem's solved.

I still think it boils down to him. If he's happy at PF, then they'll keep him and he'll re-sign with them. If he's not, then he's gone because if they don't trade him he'll leave and they'll get nothing.

Don't be surprised if they keep him until next season to see how well he plays PF against other PFs. Just because he's the best matchup against Aldridge they've got doesn't mean he's meant to be a 4 permanently.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm

I cannot believe Asik could be any team's long term answer as a PF.  It didn't work earlier in the season.  It smells of desperation at this time of the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:I'm not sure who would take Lin.  Still, it doesn't look like Asik is someone they are going to want to part with now that they've moved him into the starting lineup.  I'm not sure if the announcer was Breen or whoever was covering the game and discussing it the other night, but apparently the PF spot is now his. It doesn't sound like he's a guy they're thinking of dealing.

Terrence Jones cannot handle LaMarcus Aldridge.  I think this roster lineup change boils down to that.  If we give them someone who can handle Aldridge, Bass or Hump, then that problem's solved.  

I still think it boils down to him.  If he's happy at PF, then they'll keep him and he'll re-sign with them.  If he's not, then he's gone because if they don't trade him he'll leave and they'll get nothing.

Don't be surprised if they keep him until next season to see how well he plays PF against other PFs.  Just because he's the best matchup against Aldridge they've got doesn't mean he's meant to be a 4 permanently.

bob

Bob,

I wan't talking about, or reporting on a conversation where Asik was in strictly for Aldridge. It was about his moving into the spot to stay.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:42 pm

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:gyso whoever wrote that don't know squat, Lin has been terrible this series and lost his starting job, with him and Harden starting, that is the worst defensive backcourt in the league, not even the two huge bigs could cover up for all that.

cowens,

As Steve says, who is going to trade for Lin and his $15M one year salary?  No one.  Not one single team.  The fact that he has underperformed puts the final nail in that particular coffin.

On the other hand, who is going to trade for Asik and his $15M one year salary?  Us for one.  Other teams who need a rim protector. Lakers?  Knicks?  Someone will.  

Apparently, whoever wrote that knows somewhat more than squat.

gyso

well they would have to seriously explore all options out there to get rid of Lin, but they would seriously weaken their team getting rid of Asik and Kevin McHale is fond of bigmen and no dummy....I wish we could get Asik, with minutes guy is a top 3-5 rebounder and shotblocker, hes exactly what we need, if we could get Exum, I'd be open to include even Rondo in some kind of package to get him, but again if I was in charge of Rockets I wouldn't let Asik go, okay squatty?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Terrence Jones cannot handle LaMarcus Aldridge.  I think this roster lineup change boils down to that.  If we give them someone who can handle Aldridge, Bass or Hump, then that problem's solved.  

I still think it boils down to him.  If he's happy at PF, then they'll keep him and he'll re-sign with them.  If he's not, then he's gone because if they don't trade him he'll leave and they'll get nothing.

Don't be surprised if they keep him until next season to see how well he plays PF against other PFs.  Just because he's the best matchup against Aldridge they've got doesn't mean he's meant to be a 4 permanently.

bob

Asik and Howard are twin towers, neither is a PF, both are legit 5's, the way Lin and Harden defend you need as much size to help cover the dribble penetration, besides size to bother Aldridge. Lin and Harden are not a great fit, thus starting Beverly and long term they will keep Harden.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Cow,

Danny has already implied that a trade for Rondo would cost. A lot. More than what Asik is worth, and Asik is an $8M/yr center at best.

It would have to involve multiple pieces on Houston's end.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Cow,

Danny has already implied that a trade for Rondo would cost. A lot. More than what Asik is worth, and Asik is an $8M/yr center at best.

It would have to involve multiple pieces on Houston's end. And probably a sacrifice of their first born child, too.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:15 pm

If we got Exum and he shows in camp he is all we hope he can be, I'd be open to a Beverly and Asik for Rondo trade. Rondo is our best trading chip and a flawed star player.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:20 pm

Instead of trading Green and maybe a pick for Asik why not go after Gortat?

He is a free agent.  Offensively he is better than Asik and he is still a very solid rebounder around 9 per game and he can block shots.

He is coming off a $7.7 million contract.

The point here is that we do not have to give up assets to get a center.  The other consideration is that we do not have a replacement for Jeff Green.

A lot depends on the draft.  Where the Celtics pick and who they pick will determine other roster moves.

As  far as including Rondo in a trade for Asik...there is no way I would do that.  Rondo is at least 2.5 times more valuable than Asik.  Plus Asik only has 1 year left on his backend bloated contract with no guarantee he would even resign with Boston.

I read where Danny Ainge said he is not going to make a trade that also weakens the team in other areas.

I have the feeling that DA is not looking to make this a long term rebuild.  I think he wants a competitive team on the court next year.

If he has to use some draft picks to acquire players he can do that without gutting his current roster.  And the Celtics should be able to delve into the free agent market and perhaps get that center that they need.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Gortat would be interesting, too. Probably would need to do a sign and trade to get him. But he'd fit well with any of the bigs on our team currently. My one concern is that he's on the wrong side of 30 unlike Asik. Though if we were able to draft Embiid, adding Gortat might be a nice bridge for him and eventual backup.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Gortat is a free agent. Centers can be very productive into their mid 30's

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:06 pm

dboss wrote:Instead of trading Green and maybe a pick for Asik why not go after Gortat?

He is a free agent.  Offensively he is better than Asik and he is still a very solid rebounder around 9 per game and he can block shots.

He is coming off a $7.7 million contract.

The point here is that we do not have to give up assets to get a center.  The other consideration is that we do not have a replacement for Jeff Green.

A lot depends on the draft.  Where the Celtics pick and who they pick will determine other roster moves.

As  far as including Rondo in a trade for Asik...there is no way I would do that.  Rondo is at least 2.5 times more valuable than Asik.  Plus Asik only has 1 year left on his backend bloated contract with no guarantee he would even resign with Boston.

I read where Danny Ainge said he is not going to make a trade that also weakens the team in other areas.

I have the feeling that DA is not looking to make this a long term rebuild.  I think he wants a competitive team on the court next year.

If he has to use some draft picks to acquire players he can do that without gutting his current roster.  And the Celtics should be able to delve into the free agent market and perhaps get that center that they need.

dboss

+1
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 pm

dboss not a bad idea, if we don't get Asik, Gortat could do alot of dirty work and help us, not a pretty player, but a very good Perk like or better type of center.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:33 am

He will be an unrestricted free agent.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:dboss not a bad idea, if we don't get Asik, Gortat could do alot of dirty work and help us, not a pretty player, but a very good Perk like or better type of center.

Gortat is much better than Perk, and that's not a knock on Perk. Gortat is a MUCH better passer, a comparable pick setter and comparable rebounder. He also has some offensive game.

Greetings, btw, from Yosemite,. The weather is perfect.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:15 am

nice bob you got the life!!! 

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:20 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:nice bob you got the life!!! 

cow,

I sure do, and I'm keeping it.

Given the choice between Perk and Gortat on this Pierce/KG/Allen-less team, I'd go for Gortat.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:24 am

bob agreed Gortat is more productive, KG helped make Perk more effective and Perk as an enforcer helped KG roam and cause havoc, they sure were fun to watch dominate that paint.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 am

Bob,

I guess I have to accept that times have changed, but I have to admit that my first thought is, what are you doing online?? I know they have cell coverage throughout the valley and even into the backcountry, but you don't need a webcam when you're there.

Having said that, I did check the webcams, and it's ridiculous how little snow there is. The cables to the top of Half Dome are down, but the road to Glacier Point is open, and that used to be unthinkable in April.

Have a great time. I've been to Yosemite about 20 times I guess, mostly camping but also backpacking. We used to make an annual trip with friends in May to avoid the summertime crowds, taking our kids even before they could walk. We love the place, and we're really looking forward to going back next year.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Global warming?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:14 pm

dboss wrote:Global warming?
California has periodic droughts, even quite extended ones like the one we're in now, but things do appear to have changed in my lifetime. From an anecdotal perspective, it used to be that May was the best month to go river rafting because that's when the snowmelt and river flow was at its highest, but that has changed and April is now the best month, even early April. The snowmelt does occur earlier than it used to.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 pm

I've always liked Gortat. And the Celtics wouldn't have to part with any bodies to get him (unless the Wizards rigged some type of sign-and-trade). Given the choice, however, I'd prefer a center who, at least in an actuarial sense, would be more likely to experience a growth curve similar to that being experienced by the team itself. It's difficult to have a mainstay who's beginning the slow decline while the team's trying to effect steady improvement. The Celtics have already wrestled with the question of the appropriate time to part with KG, and I can see the same thing beginning to happen with respect to Gortat just when the Celtics will (hopefully) be a contender. Yes, nowadays players can play "well" into their thirties. The question is whether the word "well" means "long" or "skillfully."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next