+5
KellyGreen17
steve3344
cowens/oldschool
jeb
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ORLANDO LOSES TO INDY - RONDO QUESTINALBLE - PIERCE DAY-TO DAY Empty ORLANDO LOSES TO INDY - RONDO QUESTINALBLE - PIERCE DAY-TO DAY

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:43 pm

Good news ........ Orlando just lost to Pacers! On NBA TV, Rondo questionable for tomorrows game. Pierce is traveling with the team and is listed as day-to-day.

ARTICLE APPEARING ON HOOPSWORLD & ESPN .........INTERESTING

Rasheed Wallace in lead role

By Mark Murphy / Celtics Notebook
Tuesday, January 5, 2010 - Updated 9h ago
+ Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email
E-mail Print (5) Comments Text size Share Buzz up!
For those who think leadership is overrated, a look at yesterday’s Celtics [team stats] practice would have been instructive.

Doc Rivers, with associate coach Tom Thibodeau running the practice in his stead, was off tending to a personal matter. Kevin Garnett, with his hyperextended left knee, stayed in the weight room. Paul Pierce [stats], recovering from two minor knee procedures to drain an infection, shot baskets off to the side. Rajon Rondo [stats], resting a strained left hamstring, bounced a ball along a baseline and watched.

Times like this were made to order for a veteran backup like Rasheed Wallace. As young players like J.R. Giddens and Lester Hudson suddenly receive meaningful minutes, and Tony Allen and Glen Davis attempt to play themselves into game shape, Wallace has taken on the role of mentor.

At least one Celtics player pointed out the need for Wallace to step up to the role following their recent 1-3 road trip.

“I went to him after the Phoenix game and told him we need him to be the leader right now,” Kendrick Perkins [stats] said yesterday. “Obviously he can do it. He showed it the last game. We just need him to do it every game - talking, getting guys under control when things are going bad for us. You have J.R. stepping in and Tony trying to run the point, and we just have to stick together.”

Wallace has taken to this latest role.

“I try to get them to play their regular game and not be nervous,” Wallace said. “The other night, J.R. might have been nervous, but he settled down and played some good defense. He wasn’t looking for his shot, and we were trying to get him looking for his shot and take it to the basket more, the same way he does in practice and in one-on-ones. But the young guys are stepping up to the plate.

“It’s less talk without Kevin out there, but we’re just trying to teach the young guys that on defense, when you talk, it’s like (an extra) step or two. It’s playing good ‘D’ and listening.”

Perkins, who has developed significant chemistry with Garnett the past two-plus seasons, also is getting there with Wallace.

“I’m still working it out, but I think we’re getting better at it,” he said. “The thing that’s going to help is me and Rasheed leaning to play with each other . . . You never know. Kevin could get into foul trouble or anything could happen, so this will help us in the long term.”

That’s where the Wallace insurance plan would kick in.

“I realized that earlier in the summer, when Boston was one of the teams I was thinking about,” he said. “I knew Kevin coming back wouldn’t be 100 percent. If he was on a roll, feeling good and playing I knew my minutes would be down. On the other hand I knew that if he did go down I would have to step in there with more.”

While Doc’s away

Rivers is expected to rejoin the team for today’s practice and flight to Miami for tomorrow night’s game against the Heat. All of those absences considered - and Pierce and Rondo still are questionable, at best, to play - practice was a bit more of a challenge than usual yesterday.

“Guys did a few things they wouldn’t have done if Doc was here, but we still had a good practice,” Perkins said.

As even Thibodeau admitted, the afternoon could have been more smooth.

“Practice was good and bad,” he said.

“Normally coming off a day off things can get a little sloppy, but the intensity was very good, and the intentions were good.”

Much of the noise came from those on the sideline, Rondo and Pierce in particular.

“He came out and he was coaching and involved,” Thibodeau said of Rondo. “He’s champing at the bit, so I assume he’s feeling better, but I don’t know if he’s ready yet. Paul was moving around and shooting, so he’s improving.” . . .

One Celtics [team stats] player has impressed teammates with his drive to come back from injury.

“I think Baby wants this,” Perkins said. “This preseason he was playing great, and unfortunately he had to go out with the injury he had. Now he’s coming back and proving to Doc that he’s ready.”

ESPN ARTICLE

Pierce likely back; KG, House out
Comment Email Print Share
By Chris Forsberg
ESPNBoston.com
Archive
WALTHAM, Mass. -- On the day that the Boston Celtics' Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo returned to the practice court, Kendrick Perkins and Eddie House were sidelined by a bout with the flu.

Pierce and Rondo could rejoin the starting lineup Wednesday night in Miami as the Celtics kick off a three-game road trip (though Celtics coach Doc Rivers noted that Rondo is more of a game-time decision). Perkins traveled with the team to Florida Tuesday afternoon, but House, who was still nursing a fever, did not (though he could join the team Wednesday if he's feeling better).

More on the Celtics

Keep up with the Green in Chris Forsberg's Celtics blog. Blog

"The circus continues," joked Rivers, who also returned to practice after missing Monday's session due to a personal matter.

"Paul looked good, Rondo you couldn't tell because he didn't do much," Rivers said. "So we'll see [Wednesday]. I think [Rondo is] going to go, but I wouldn't write that down in pen, for sure. Paul probably will [play Wednesday], that's what it looks like. So that would help us a lot. Just getting one of those guys back, I'd be happy. Both would be absolutely fantastic."

Rivers sounded less optimistic about Perkins and House, considering league rules about players with fevers, especially in light of the widespread H1N1 illness this year.

"The league has really pressed upon us that, if a guy has a fever, he has to stay away from the team, because he's contagious at that point," said Rivers.

Pierce, sidelined the past five games after a pair of procedures to drain fluid in his right knee after an infection was discovered last month, said he'll evaluate his status again Wednesday morning, but was preparing to play for the first time since Dec. 22.

"We'll see how it feels, but I got a good practice in [Tuesday]," said Pierce. "It's not 100 percent, but it's getting better.

"I'm about as confident as I'm going to be until it's 100 percent. I'm not feeling any pressure or pain when I push off on it because, as I said, it wasn't any ligament damage. It's just a matter of the swelling going down each day. We're down to the fact [of how far] I can bend it, and I have a lot more flexibility the past few days."

Pierce wore a black sleeve over the right knee and appeared to be moving well from the final moments of practice viewed by the media.

Pierce said the real key would be getting his timing back on the floor, but joked that he hadn't been out that long and he saw "flashes" of his old self Tuesday.

Rivers indicated Kevin Garnett is also likely to travel with the team, but is unlikely to play as he recovers from a hyperextended right knee. He did not practice Tuesday.

Chris Forsberg covers the Celtics for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter.

Back to top Go down

ORLANDO LOSES TO INDY - RONDO QUESTINALBLE - PIERCE DAY-TO DAY Empty Re: ORLANDO LOSES TO INDY - RONDO QUESTINALBLE - PIERCE DAY-TO DAY

Post by jeb Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Good stuff. Thanks. I kinda think they should rest Rondo again. Dont mess with hammie stuff but I guess they got a medical staff that knows a little more than me.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

ORLANDO LOSES TO INDY - RONDO QUESTINALBLE - PIERCE DAY-TO DAY Empty Re: ORLANDO LOSES TO INDY - RONDO QUESTINALBLE - PIERCE DAY-TO DAY

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Thanks Rich
Pierce is a warrior,you can just feel how bad he wants to play,I would prefer he miss a few more games to totally come back strong with no problems,same with Rondo and KG.Wanna see the young guns get some PT,season is a marathon,limiting some innings is a good idea,its great we have so much depth.....in the stretch drive with all our pieces back,we're gonna be so versatile.
TA has really shown me something this stretch,if he can adapt his game to include the point,with all our other pieces,Sheed,Baby,SW,House,Quis,WOW what a bench!!!!
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:00 am

Cow, He is a warrior! By the way I believe Rafer Alston NJ Nets is a free agent. Nice point guard but costs $5.5 million. Miami is trying for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 am

Orlando lost to a Pacer team tonight that was without Granger, Jeff Foster, Troy Murphy, T.J. Ford and Tyler Hansbrough. At one point late in the second quarter Hibbert was outscoring Dwight Howard 18 to 2. Vince Carter is banged up and shouldn't have played, shooting a miserable 2 for 15. Let's hope the Celtics don't make the same mistake and bring back any of our injured too soon and have them either be ineffective or, god forbid, hurt again. We need to get our key guys healthy again. Next two games (road games at Miami and Atlanta) will be very tough in our condition. And then we have another road game at Toronto, who will be looking for revenge. Nice that we are now two games ahead of Orlando in the loss column, and one ahead of the Cavs, but that could disappear soon.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:18 am

steve33

with you. lets not bring em back to soon dont care if we only win 50 games if we are at full strength come may. I bet however pp and rondo will go.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 am

I don't mind PP coming back before he's 100% since he really doesn't have an injury, just an infection. The only side effects for him playing would be swelling, so that's not a huge problem. I hope that if they play him and he's ineffective, they'll take him out and give his minutes to Tony.

I'm with whoever said Rondo probably shouldn't play. From all accounts I've read it doesn't sound like his hamstring is completely healed since he hasn't really practiced, and we can't afford to lose him for an extended period, especially later in the season.

I wonder if we'll see Lester play some two guard in place of E House. He may be our best offensive player out of the young guys. I'm really hoping Perk can go because if he's too sick to play, we are going to be in trouble. Does anybody know if O'Neal is injured? I don't think he played against ATL earlier this week...
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:59 am

O'Neal is injured and is questionable for tonight's game. Rondo should be held out at least another week. Maybe Doc can activate himself if he doesn't want to trust the younger guys! (LOL) Let's look in to signing Rafer Alston! Wouldn't he come in handy right about now considering Rondo's condition and Eddie's got a flu bug right now! Wake up Danny!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 am

MD

Lets not rush into anything right now, could tie our hands up later if we act now and I need not be reminded about waiting (ie Mikey Moore) too long either.
I think Danny is wide awake.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks Md. I'm no GYSO, but I don't believe the C's can afford to sign Alston, definitely not without giving up a couple players. I think he makes $5 Mil this season. I did read that Lue had to practice with the team yesterday because they were so short handed. They said he played with a heavily bandaged thigh. If Lue goes down, Doc might at least have to practice with the team!
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:30 am

Beat: I don't think Moore and Alston can be compared. If Alston's bought out, money's not a real issue! Alston was stellar subbing for Nelson last year at Orlando. Mikki Moore couldn't even back up a car in a parking lot if he was the valet with the car keys! MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:34 am

MD our roster is full at 15. Who do you want to release if Alston got bought out? Surely not one of our young guys since Alston is 34 and would not be part of any future plans.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:57 am

OK MD

You play GM on here a lot and Kelly has an interesting question.

It's your team now, you have the chance to get Alston on the cheap so lets say money is no issue. Who do you let go to keep the roster at 15?

I await your choice............and I think I know whom you will pick. And he has red hair too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Beat: Yeah, and he looks like a larger version of Donny Most's (not Johnny Most's) character on Happy Days, Ralph Malph!- MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 pm

MD

I dont want to bring just any mook in here. Needs to be the right guy. If not we got plenty of hosses.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 pm

jeb65 wrote:MD

I dont want to bring just any mook in here. Needs to be the right guy. If not we got plenty of hosses.

Jeb,

I agree.

Alston may be bought out, so as MD says, money isn't an issue. Our roster is full and we would have to buy out one of our own to get Alston on board. I suppose it is doable, but realistically, who goes? It is a foolish move to just release one of our expiring contract guys without something in return. We need to use them to add a player that can help out next year as well.

That being said, he just isn't the guy.

We need a bigger fish than Alston. In another month, the also-rans will be out of the running and will want to make a salary dump. I believe we need a 2-1 trade where we take on a little more salary and open up a roster spot all in one transaction. We trade for a real backup for Pierce, someone who can guard some of the bigger 3's in the league.

With a roster spot open, we then pick up our backup PG.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 pm

gyso

Yup. You I think are the go to guy for these issues. I would not do something just to do it and I concur that pretty soon some real ballers are goin to be out there.

Rather than bring in the first guy outta need we go at it as a tem that dont NEED anything. If you are willing to walk you have already won the negotiation.

My fear is some needy team will give a starter to the lakes. That would make a huge diff for them and they DO have the need. Plus their front office is capable. After Gasol anything at all can happen.

Like Boozer for Jordan and Sasha..yikes...the horror.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:59 pm

GYSO good point. Why would we give up a potential trading chip for Alston? I think we'll be able to get much more value for Scal with the 2-1 scenario, although I'm not exactly itching to get rid of anybody on the team...not even Tony! I never thought I'd say that, but he's been playing really well lately. Although I'm sure when he breaks his leg in another month I'll be singing a different tune...

Does anybody think Scal and JR or Bill would net us anybody good?
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 pm

OK here goes my thought

I say we trade MD and Jeb to BDC board for Greenkiller and Martini 123 or whatever # he is now just to spice things up a bit here! Maybe they will throw in Che to boot.

I think the money works on this too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:18 pm

hellz I'll take one for the team. Can I still lurk?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:25 pm

I don't know beat, we might be hurting ourselves there. I think MD and Jeb should net us more than that. I think we could get Greenkiller, Rebels, Che and Dudder. I don't want Martini, I hear he's a locker room cancer.
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Look I will work harder. I'll change my bad attitude. No more tequila!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Beat: You didn't read the fine print! I have approval rights over any trade I'm involved in. NO WAY am I approving or agreeing to a trade to BDC! Besides, I'm in the Twilight of my career and choose to finish it on Sam's Board!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Jeb

Just got back from a brief visit to BDC.

No comments left but man it is different. (better than it was as you can ignore still and also there is no reply to post feature anymore so that when you ignore you dont have to see it in another response)

Still a few good souls there that I wish we could import but to each his own I guess.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:48 pm

MD

Forgot that you have a no tirade claus (miss spelling intended).

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next