cowens/oldschool
Sam
jeb
steve3344
10 posters

Go down

Remarkable stat Empty Remarkable stat

Post by steve3344 Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Kendrick Perkins has now shot at least 50% from the field in 24 straight games (shooting 68% in those games), virtually guaranteed to already be a Celtic record. He's on his way to easily breaking Cedric Maxwell's club record of 60.9% shooting in a season, set in '79-'80. Perk would've broken it in 2008 but his 61.5% did not include enough shots. This year that's no problem.

It's really gratifying for the legions of us who have been behind this guy and his raw talent since the beginning (Oh Che, you missed the boat!), realizing how important he was to the Celts on the defensive end, and have now seen him develop into a highly reliable low post option with a multitude of moves and shots.

Love the guy to death but I do have admit his too-frequent moving screens (and too many T's) sometimes get to me. But that's a minor gripe, although it's nice to see his overall fouls per minute are down approximately 10% from last year.

At any rate, who woulda thunk a few years ago Perk would become the best shooter in basketball, statistically speaking anyway! Now only if he can develop a three-point shot. If Manute Bol could do it, Perk can! Granted, the last place any of us wants to see Perk when one of our shots goes up is camped out at the three-point line, but him shooting threes is a funny thought, and obviously I'm not serious. I'm just happy his little hooks and short jumpers are now going in at such a high rate.

I think he's got a shot (but not a slam dunk) to be added by the coaches to this year's all-star team. And how great would that be?

Let's hear it for the best low-post defender in the NBA and the current FG% leader in the league. All hail our favorite scowling enforcer.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Remarkable stat Empty Re: Remarkable stat

Post by jeb Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 pm

steve33

Thanks again for the numbers stuff and long live the beast.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:50 pm

But wait, there's more. As he has more aggressively sought the ball in the low post and has become a legitimate scoring cog in the Celtics' machinery, Perk is clamping his hands on the ball like never before. He's grabbing offensive rebounds that he would have fumbled away before. He's running the floor and snagging hard passes for slams. He's backing down defenders, putting the ball on the floor and going hard to the hoop without being stripped. What's up with that?

It can now be revealed that I never really believed any of the moronic drivel I spouted about Perk. What I said about Rondo was bad enough, but now I'm the ultimate loser in stereo.

Abject apologies to all,

Dudder
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Sam wrote:But wait, there's more. As he has more aggressively sought the ball in the low post and has become a legitimate scoring cog in the Celtics' machinery, Perk is clamping his hands on the ball like never before. He's grabbing offensive rebounds that he would have fumbled away before. He's running the floor and snagging hard passes for slams. He's backing down defenders, putting the ball on the floor and going hard to the hoop without being stripped. What's up with that?

It can now be revealed that I never really believed any of the moronic drivel I spouted about Perk. What I said about Rondo was bad enough, but now I'm the ultimate loser in stereo.

Abject apologies to all,

Dudder

hysterical LMAO!!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:19 pm

On a team of great individual and team defenders,KG,Sheed,Rondo,TA,Pierce,hes the anchor and our best defender.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Hope you have room on the bandwagon for me. I was skeptical of Perk ever being more than an average center, but his hard work, and I'll bet countless hours with Clifford Ray, has really paid off. I'd love to see Comcast do a behind the scenes feature on Clifford and how he works with the Cs big men, and Perk in particular.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Sam wrote:But wait, there's more.

Is the call toll free???

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Sam, funny stuff. I singled-out Che for his incessant Perk-bashing over the years and constantly insisting the Celtics dump him but totally forgot about Dudder's rants against him. That's probably because I'd forgotten about Dudder completely. So nice not to have his idiocy about Perk and Rondo (and all the rest of the Celts being worthless) to have to read on here.

But Perk's still got an area I'd like him to improve on. I'll go out and buy a Perk jersey whenever he can shoot 70% on free throws for a season.

We can only hope that happens. Even if he never makes it to that level, he's still a humongous plus for us in the middle.

And no more shoulder problems buddy! Stay healthy!

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:41 am

This team is starting to look like the BIG 2 along with Perkins, Allen and Garnett...no, just kidding...
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:23 am

I own a Perk jersey…he is by far my favorite Celtic. He works hard every night and expects no credit. He does the dirty work under the boards, and NO ONE wants to mess with him. He pushes guys around, blocks or alters untold shots, and is FINALLY actually getting some respect from the refs. He is the anchor down low, is the best help defender on the team, and when he is out of the game, other teams eyes light up as they drive it right at Glen Davis or Sheldon Williams.

Put a healthy KG next to Perk – and they are the best defensive front court in the NBA – without question.

And as he continues to grow and mature, he is a vital part of the future of the Celtics. There isnt a young center in the NBA (save for Dwight Howard and Al Jefferson) that I think has more consistent play and upside than Perk.

Love me some Kendrick Perkins….perfect example of a project that came to fruition through perseverance and hard work.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 am

Mrkleen,

An interesting question: Who has improved more? Perk on offense or Big Al on defense?

And I actually believe Perk's offensive game either has greater variety than Howard's or will when (if) Perk ever finishes improving.

It seems as though Perk is really "feeling it" on the offensive end. He's calling for the ball a lot more and putting himself in positions of advantage.

He's still got some improving to do at the free throw line. Maybe he can just emulate one of the absolutely perfect players I've listed below.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 am

Sam wrote:Mrkleen,

An interesting question: Who has improved more? Perk on offense or Big Al on defense?

Sam,

Interesting to note that the T-Wolves are reportedly thinking of unloading Big Al and Perk has become a solid and growing contributor.

The two centers look like they're on different paths.

Amazing what a little time and patience will bring about.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 am

Who knew the number of the beast isn't 666, it's 43.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:36 am

During the game the other eve Hubie Brown stated that Perk was the "best defensive center in the Eastern conference."

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 am

Sam wrote:Mrkleen,

This is a difficult thing to really equate.

Big Al HAS to carry the offensive load for a team that isnt very good and has a very poor defensive work ethic. From what I have seen, teams that don’t have good team concepts have a very hard time stopping anyone – so by the criteria it is hard to judge Al vs Perk.

Perk is a much better 1 on 1 defender, but most of his real value comes in the team concept. If you put Perkins on the Timberwolves, he would still be a solid defender – but not sure he would be the game changing beast he can be in Boston.

They are both good young centers, and I think on bad team, Big Al is still the better of the two. But Perkins is a very good second tier center – who is top of mind when it comes to defense and toughness. And on the current Celtics, he is the better fit of the two for sure.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Mrkleen,

All good points. For me, the bottom line is that Perk is more of what the Celtics need (and would lack without him) than Jefferson would be.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Love Big Al,but his defense has slipped and it wasn't his strong suit to start with.Big Al to me is more a combo PF-C,him playing next to Love is two undersized players at the 4 and 5.If Al had the Beast next to him or a legit 7 footer like Brook Lopez,then relieved of defending the biggest post player every night,he'd flourish as a PF.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:38 am

Immediately after noticing Perk's amazing streak, he and most of the other Celtics have an off-night against Atlanta and the streak is over. Oh well, it stands at 24 in the record books. And there are still enough games left in the season for him to surpass that.

But please, no more 6 turnover games. Try to limit the traveling.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down