Lex Nihil Novi - Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74

4 posters

Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74 Empty Lex Nihil Novi - Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:55 am

Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74

December 16, 1964

Lex Nihil Novi - Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74 196412160BOS

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74 Empty Re: Lex Nihil Novi - Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74

Post by Sam Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Boy, they didn't overwhelm you with stats in those days. I'd love to know about the minutes distribution because my bet is that Sam got those 32 points (including 12-13 from the line) in no more than 30 minutes.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Lex Nihil Novi - Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74 Empty Re: Lex Nihil Novi - Russell v. Chamberlain: Game 74

Post by Outside Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Sam,

Did Attles normally guard Sam? If so, that makes the 32 points all the more impressive. Attles was a pit bull on defense.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:04 pm

I would love to see the rebounding and blocked shot stats, Russell vs the Twin Towers must have been breathtaking to watch!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Outside,

Yes, Attles usually guarded Sam, while Guy Rodgers was the Warriors' playmaker.

I wish I could show you some of the video I have of Sam in action. He was one of the two fastest men in the league (Larry Costello being the other). He had the bank shot down pat. He was deadly accurate, especially when one considers the frantic pace of those games. But none of those attributes impressed me as much as his agility.

I have one clip in which Sam is dribbling the ball downcourt at a fairly rapid pace, with his defensive man backpedaling in front of him. All of a sudden, Sam's one giant step to the right, his defensive man falls down, and Sam sinks a jumper from straightaway at the top of the key.

I have always thought of basketball as a sports ballet written especially for my enjoyment. No two players exemplified that level of beauty more than Sam and Russ.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:39 pm

I'd love to see those videos. I was a bit too young to appreciate the game during the early '60s, but I did at least admire that bank shot by end of the decade.

The first thing that comes to mind in memories of watching basketball during that time is Russell, the second is Auerbach, and the third is Sam Jones's bank shot. Of course they were more than that, and of course they were more as a collective unit than individuals, but Sam's individual greatness within that collective came through loud and clear.

As for this game, given that Attles guarded him, it's no surprise that Sam had a good chunk of his scoring at the line. Attles would be inclined to make Sam earn his points.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down